IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

As an FYI aside - A lot (if not most) of newer SACD MCh recordings are actually 3-channel stereo as well. They generate a standard 6-channel SACD master so as not to cause issues in manufacturing, but the producers put no information in the rear or sub channels. (This is true of classical producers and labels - I don't know about other genres.) 

You're supposed to have 3 equal front speakers for this, not a surround sound centre. I've heard that setup in an editing studio and it was brilliant. Never had that setup at home, though.

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

You're converting to PCM, so enter at your own risk.  Me, I play 3.0 DSD on JRiver all the time.  I have mopst of the Living Stereo and Mercury Living Presence stuff ripped to DSF and all is well.

Ted - yes, there are lengthy debates about this on sonics, but there is no actual risk.  I would play in pure DSD if I could, and my DAC has the ability to do so.  That, at its best, can sound a bit purer and more transparent, I know from comparisons of native DSD hi rez recordings.  I don't honestly hear much difference on music from analog masters.

But, for me, DSD playback means no Mch speaker distance correction, no bass management and no Dirac Live EQ.  Sonically on balance, I am much more satisfied with converting my DSF library on the fly to PCM176 in JRiver in order to use those features.  It still sounds quite satisfyingly awesome to me.  I have not wanted to pursue DSP features in DSD via HQPlayer for a number of reasons.

I also see no point in pre-converting DSF files to PCM, which would add a cumbersome extra step to my library ripping process, although FLAC files would be somewhat smaller than DSFs.

Hi guys,

I've got a Pionneer BDP 80FD and a Mac and I am ready to start ripping my SACD's.

Are you aware of a ripping guide for Macs within this 93 pages?

I found one for PC's, but unfortunately after a couple of hours reading the posts, I haven't found it yet. It's huge...

Could someone help me, please?

Thank you,

Jorge  

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

3 hours ago, bnbayer said:

As an FYI aside - A lot (if not most) of newer SACD MCh recordings are actually 3-channel stereo as well. They generate a standard 6-channel SACD master so as not to cause issues in manufacturing, but the producers put no information in the rear or sub channels. (This is true of classical producers and labels - I don't know about other genres.) 

This is a surprise to me.  Can you provide links to some samples?  

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

4 hours ago, bnbayer said:

You're supposed to have 3 equal front speakers for this, not a surround sound centre. I've heard that setup in an editing studio and it was brilliant. Never had that setup at home, though.

This is news to me, too.  I'm in the industry, and we do mostly classical at Channel...but even knowing Soundmirror and others (and all our NativeDSD labels), this is not what I know, especially the "if not most".  Please give examples.

4 hours ago, soares said:

Hi guys,

I've got a Pionneer BDP 80FD and a Mac and I am ready to start ripping my SACD's.

Are you aware of a ripping guide for Macs within this 93 pages?

I found one for PC's, but unfortunately after a couple of hours reading the posts, I haven't found it yet. It's huge...

Could someone help me, please?

Thank you,

Jorge  

Here are Mac instructions I wrote much earlier in the thread.

Please note that all the BS about having to install Java and/or having to disable System Integrity Protection on the Mac might not apply to you - I just included that in case.

Also, you have to download a Pioneer-specific version of the script (I believe it's labeled for the Pioneer BDP 160 but it will work with the 160, 170 and the 80FD).

2 hours ago, ted_b said:

This is news to me, too.  I'm in the industry, and we do mostly classical at Channel...but even knowing Soundmirror and others (and all our NativeDSD labels), this is not what I know, especially the "if not most".

I'm sure I was over-stating the case with 'if not most'. Certainly I'm aware that Channel has been a great supporter of both real multi-channel and real DSD recording - a number of labels were issuing SACDs as the only way (15 or so years ago) to get higher-than-rebook recordings to the public, but were actually recording in PCM, whether because they preferred the sound or preferred the editing software.

On 7/21/2017 at 5:55 PM, tmtomh said:

Here are Mac instructions I wrote much earlier in the thread.

Please note that all the BS about having to install Java and/or having to disable System Integrity Protection on the Mac might not apply to you - I just included that in case.

Also, you have to download a Pioneer-specific version of the script (I believe it's labeled for the Pioneer BDP 160 but it will work with the 160, 170 and the 80FD).

Thank you so much Tmtomh.

I truly appreciated your help.

Kind regards,

Jorge 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

Hi, I have just bought the Oppo UDP-205 that uses the Mediatek 8581 platform.  Does anybody know if the ripping process can be used on said machine. I have a huge collection of SACD  and would very much like your advice on how to convert them to Iso SACD. 

I thank you very much for this wonderful thread

Best regards

Henry 

43 minutes ago, Hep said:

Hi, I have just bought the Oppo UDP-205 that uses the Mediatek 8581 platform.  Does anybody know if the ripping process can be used on said machine. I have a huge collection of SACD  and would very much like your advice on how to convert them to Iso SACD. 

Best regards

Henry 

No, but I would try it anyway.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

55 minutes ago, Hep said:

Best regards

Henry 

No, it has to be a 10x series Oppo or one of the other supported players from the other companies.  The Oppo 20x series players won't work for this at this time.

Hi and thanks for the replies. 

Based on your experience so far, what machine would you recommend for the fastest hassle free extraction? 

Are they all more or les the same in terms of difficulty and quality?

Thank  you very much

Henry

I don't know if Pioneers give more trouble. Maybe some Pioneer users posting in this thread had problems that were not related to the player (with the files on the USB stick, or network issues).

I have ripped more than 1000 SACDs with a Pioneer 170 and it was extremely smooth and problem-free. Just one scratched disc that couldn't be ripped (neither on the Oppo 103), and two discs that took much longer than average.

The advantage of the Oppo is that it's generally a great player for audio and video (if you don't need 4K), whereas the Pioneer is really only good for SACD ripping, if you are used to Oppo standards in reliability, ease of use and build quality.

Claude

I have been looking at the options on Sonore ISO2DSD, and it has many additional Output Modes besides SONY DSF.   One of the Output Modes is Raw ISO.  Is there a workflow process that can convert .dsf files back into an SACD ISO?  I have tried a few different options but usually get the message "Not a ScarletBook disc!" and "Can't read Master TOC."

I have discovered that if a burn an SACD ISO to a DVD+R it plays just like the original SACD on my OPPO BDP-83.  Since the BDP-83 has gotten old and doesn't always open the disc drawer, I am very cautious about putting original SACD's into it.

Thanks for any advice in this area on how to possibly create an SACD ISO from dsf files with Sonore ISO2DSD.

@frfrtx

In order to create a SACD-R from ripped .dsf files you would need, in effect, a SACD authoring program.

Such a program exists somewhere for professional use, but I have never seen it available generally.

Sony actually created a simple format for a "DSD disc" by which you can author it with .dsf files.

The problem is that DSD discs are only read by the PS3 and a few other Sony players the SCD-XA5400ES  and  the SCD-XE800.

I made one for kicks and played it on my PS3 but the format is otherwise pretty useless.

This is why everyone recommends ripping to .iso and saving that before extracting .dsf files.

You'll have to go back and rip the .isos on those SACD discs if you only have the .dsf files.

1 hour ago, Phthalocyanine said:

@frfrtx

In order to create a SACD-R from ripped .dsf files you would need, in effect, a SACD authoring program.

Such a program exists somewhere for professional use, but I have never seen it available generally.

Sony actually created a simple format for a "DSD disc" by which you can author it with .dsf files.

The problem is that DSD discs are only read by the PS3 and a few other Sony players the SCD-XA5400ES  and  the SCD-XE800.

I made one for kicks and played it on my PS3 but the format is otherwise pretty useless.

This is why everyone recommends ripping to .iso and saving that before extracting .dsf files.

You'll have to go back and rip the .isos on those SACD discs if you only have the .dsf files.

Thanks, your answer is what I suspected for making an SACD playable disc, although I did not know about the PS3 option.

Another option that I have learned about for playing the .dsf files directly is to buy a new OPPO player and put the .dsf files on a usb drive.  I have not tried it because I don't own a new OPPO, but OPPO support told me that both multi-channel and stereo ,dsf files can be played.

14 minutes ago, frfrtx said:

Thanks, your answer is what I suspected for making an SACD playable disc, although I did not know about the PS3 option.

Another option that I have learned about for playing the .dsf files directly is to buy a new OPPO player and put the .dsf files on a usb drive.  I have not tried it because I don't own a new OPPO, but OPPO support told me that both multi-channel and stereo ,dsf files can be played.

You can play dsf files from NAS too.  In fact, that 's the whole point as far as I'm concerned.

10 hours ago, frfrtx said:

I have been looking at the options on Sonore ISO2DSD, and it has many additional Output Modes besides SONY DSF.   One of the Output Modes is Raw ISO.  Is there a workflow process that can convert .dsf files back into an SACD ISO?  I have tried a few different options but usually get the message "Not a ScarletBook disc!" and "Can't read Master TOC."

I have discovered that if a burn an SACD ISO to a DVD+R it plays just like the original SACD on my OPPO BDP-83.  Since the BDP-83 has gotten old and doesn't always open the disc drawer, I am very cautious about putting original SACD's into it.

Thanks for any advice in this area on how to possibly create an SACD ISO from dsf files with Sonore ISO2DSD.

Note that such burnt sacd isos won't play on current & 103/105 Oppos. My old CA 650BD will play them, but not later CAs. There's a list somewheres ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.