IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

DavidB,  that is precisely why I went through the trouble of summarizing all the file locations on the first post a few months ago.  Do they not work anymore?

3 hours ago, ted_b said:

DavidB,  that is precisely why I went through the trouble of summarizing all the file locations on the first post a few months ago.  Do they not work anymore?

It's not that so much as the instructions regarding what to do. It's just a lot of computerese to me. For instance, "The download location should be a new folder in the root of your chosen drive" I don't know what is meant by the root of the drive. Where do you find that? Somewhere it said to write down the IP address of my Oppo player...how do you even see that anywhere? I know I sound awfully ignorant when it comes to computer stuff, but I guess I just am! Never had a course in it at all!

What might help is for you to do a youtube video which explains every step in pain-staking detail.

TIA

On 9/12/2017 at 3:58 PM, David_B said:

It's not that so much as the instructions regarding what to do. It's just a lot of computerese to me. For instance, "The download location should be a new folder in the root of your chosen drive" I don't know what is meant by the root of the drive. Where do you find that? Somewhere it said to write down the IP address of my Oppo player...how do you even see that anywhere? I know I sound awfully ignorant when it comes to computer stuff, but I guess I just am! Never had a course in it at all!

What might help is for you to do a youtube video which explains every step in pain-staking detail.

TIA

1) When someone refers to the "root" of a drive, they mean the top-most folder.  So if you're copying files to your C: drive, the root would be "C:\".

2) I'm not at home right now to give you the exact path to get there, but the Oppo's IP address can be found in the Oppo's setup menu in the Network section.  Should be something like 192.168.1.100 (the specific numbers may be different depending on your Internet provider and how your router happens to be configured).

If you ask questions as you go through the steps, we may be able to help you out, but stuff like this kind of has to assume a certain minimum level of computer skills.

Do you have any teenage kids around?  If so, one of them could probably get you up and running with the existing instructions...

31 minutes ago, greynolds said:

1) When someone refers to the "root" of a drive, they mean the top-most folder.  So if you're copying files to your C: drive, the root would be "C:\".

2) I'm not at home right now to give you the exact path to get there, but the Oppo's IP address can be found in the Oppo's setup menu in the Network section.  Should be something like 192.168.1.100 (the specific numbers may be different depending on your Internet provider and how your router happens to be configured).

If you ask questions as you go through the steps, we may be able to help you out, but stuff like this kind of has to assume a certain minimum level of computer skills.

Do you have any teenage kids around?  If so, one of them could probably get you up and running with the existing instructions...

No teens any more. My oldest stepson would have been able to guide me through pretty easily, but he's in another city now with a demanding job and a wife and new baby. When I'm ready to do this, I'll ask one question at a time and see if we can crack this nut.

3 hours ago, David_B said:

LOL. I'M the computer literate friend (but obviously not literate enough for this) in my circle of (real life) friends. I guess I'm just too darn old. But thanks for the suggestion.

You are not too darn old as I am the oldest "in my circle of (real life) friends."

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

3 hours ago, greynolds said:

The beauty of this is that once you have it set up it really does become so simple to repeat the process of ripping SACDs going forward.

By the way, if you have a smart phone or a tablet you can download a free app called "Fing." You can then use Fing as an alternative method to find out the IP addresses of everything on your network (obviously, including your OPPO player).

On 7/19/2016 at 7:32 PM, ted_b said:

Note: I told the PS3 thread I would announce what I've found, so I am writing this first post, long before I am ready to (i.e I don't have the links ready yet, nor the instructions). I expect my second post to be ready in a few more days.

Thanks to some very ingenious folks on other forums around the world, Mr Wicked's sacd_extract.exe has been found to be effective in ripping SACDS in those players that:

1) have Mediatek chips MT8580 (like Oppo 103/105, Cambridge Audio 752bd/cxu, Pioneer bdp-lx58/88 ) or MT8560 (like Pioneer BDP-160, 170 and BDP-80FD)

2) have an ethernet connection

3) have normal factory firmwares (meaning no mods)

The process involves two major steps:

1) create a USB thumb drive that contains an Autoscript program and a Telnet program, then plug it into your player to have it boot up with these scripts

2) using something like Putty (Windows, for example) Telnet from a computer into the BD/SACD/universal player above, then run a command line file that starts the ISO extraction.

Both of these steps require links that I will either edit here, or create a new post with them. I am still quite confused as to whether some of these files are different based on Mediatek chip version, of if this is all universal.

Here is an idea of the process (google translated and simplified)

01 – Folder AutoScript contain a server program (daemon) to rip original SACD discs

02 – Folder sacd_extract contain a windows client sacd_extract.exe and a file sacd.cmd. You should put this folder on a drive or partition with enough space to create .iso image. Edit sacd.cmd file with Notepad or another editor to change the IP address of the player. PC must be on the same network with the player

03 – Prepare clean USB stick

04 – Copy AutoScript folder with 3 files inside to the root of USB stick

05 – Disconnect from the player all USB devices

06 – Restart the player

07 – Check the Player menu and save IP address of the lan interface. Don’t forget to edit sacd.cmd

08 – It’s better to disable disc Autoplay

09 – Insert prepared USB stick into the player

10 – Wait until the tray is ejected

11 – Remove USB stick from your player

12 – Put sacd disc in tray

13 – Press the Close button

14 – Wait until the disc is recognized by the player

15 – From the Windows run sacd.cmd file and the ripping process should start

16 – To rip another SACD make sure that the sacd_extract.exe worked until the end, eject the tray with previous disc and repeat steps 11-15

17 – Be sure to reboot the player at the end!

Net/net, don't sell your Oppo/Cambridge/Pioneer players (and add to this list if you know of any more). I will have links to the Autoscript, Autoscrpt.TSS and sacd.cmd as soon as possible, along with some screen shots, if possible. I wanted to get this out there.

Caveat: as with the PS3, this ripping process is ONLY intended for those who already own the SACD discs, for archiving or personal file-based playback purposes. Please do not pirate!!

June 2017: Here is my first attempt to edit/curate this long thread. 

** User Haggis999 has written a Word Doc that summarizes how to rip on the Oppo platform (103/105).  Here is the link   https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fsigs8b3m24ld56/AACV2LC2EHfEdiS41fQmlKPxa?dl=0

Thanks Haggis999

** And here is a similar link for the Pioneer players BDP-80FD/BDP-170 and BDP-160 (thanks to HiRezGuy)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/13mq5pihw0enoqy/SACD Image Creation Process for Pioneer BDP-80FD.txt?dl=0

** Current eligible players?  Here is a quoted summary from user CatManDo.  He nicely recaps the majority of players out there:

"Concerning low budget players (200€), using the MT8560 chip, there are the Pioneer BDP-160 and Pioneer BDP-170 (not the current model 180, which uses a newer chip). A 160 is very hard to find, and the 170 is quite rare too, but offers show up on Ebay or the Amazon Marketplace regularly. They are certain to dry up soon.

There is also the Pioneer BDP-80FD, which is the US equivalent to the BDP-170. It's not available in Europe.

Players using the MT8580 chip are in a different price league (600€ and more). It's the Oppo 103/105 (all regional variations and Darbee chip players) and players based on the Oppo (Cambridge Audio 752bd/cxu, maybe others, generally more expensive than the Oppo), the Arcam CDS27 (CD/SACD/file player) and the top range Pioneer players BDP-LX58 and BDP-LX88."

I know this was written awhile ago, so just curious if the new Oppo's work too (e.g. oppo 205)?

3 hours ago, beancounter said:

Thanks, One and a half. 

There's a lot of pages to hash through.  Was most concerned with a manufacturer update closing the "back door", like the PS3 firmware updates.

Doesn't seem to be the case, the player is now obsolete so why bother now. The SACD ripping looks like  is inherent to the Mediatek chip and despite various OPPO updates, the ripping ability is still there.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA