IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I manage to get a second-hand Pioneer BDP-160 finally. Strictly follow Ted's two instructions (one from haggis999 and the other from HiRezGuy)

In haggis999's instruction case, ISO2DSD shows that:

Failed to connect

libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.9:2002 for reading

In HiRezGuy's instruction case,  when I run sacd.cmd, a window pops up displaying that sacd_extract.exe has stopped working. (A problem caused the program to stop working correctly)

BDP-160 LED screen shows: SCN SVR in both cases.

Has anyone had the similar issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

7 hours ago, louisxiawei said:

I manage to get a second-hand Pioneer BDP-160 finally. Strictly follow Ted's two instructions (one from haggis999 and the other from HiRezGuy)

In haggis999's instruction case, ISO2DSD shows that:

Failed to connect

libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.9:2002 for reading

In HiRezGuy's instruction case,  when I run sacd.cmd, a window pops up displaying that sacd_extract.exe has stopped working. (A problem caused the program to stop working correctly)

Has anyone had the similar issue? Any help would be appreciated.

My instructions were specifcally written for the Oppo 103 and 105. If you used the download links in my document, then they almost certainly won't work for the Pioneer BDP-160.

9 hours ago, louisxiawei said:

To me this looks as if your BDP-160 is on standby. SCN SVR means screen saver as this would be shown on a TV screen.

Have you follwed HiRezGuy's instruction:

A. Under the Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD setup screen, disable auto-play and    auto-resume functionality.

For this the BDP-160 has to be connected to a TV screen

26 minutes ago, KVDB010 said:

To me this looks as if your BDP-160 is on standby. SCN SVR means screen saver as this would be shown on a TV screen.

Have you follwed HiRezGuy's instruction:

A. Under the Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD setup screen, disable auto-play and    auto-resume functionality.

For this the BDP-160 has to be connected to a TV screen

Thank both for the tips.

@haggis999

I did download the BDP160's autoscrip from this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yl8cffq273ebah/SACD-extract-BDP160.zip?dl=0

But ISO2DSD should do the rest of the work, shouldn't it? Or it must be run by command prompt with sacd extract?

@KVDB010

You caught me right. "Disable auto-play and auto-resume functionality" is the only step I didn't "strictly" follow because I don't have HDMI cable at the moment to connect to a TV screen. I thought it's not vital as haggis mentioned. My bad. Will try another time. Thanks again.

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

1 hour ago, louisxiawei said:

But ISO2DSD should do the rest of the work, shouldn't it? Or it must be run by command prompt with sacd extract?

I can't be certain about anything to do with the Pioneer, but using ISO2DSD with the Oppo does remove any need for messing around with command prompts.

On 5.07.2017 at 4:53 PM, ted_b said:

This is soo cool !

It took me 30 min to rip the first CD. It would be nice to update the opening post with model specific files and manuals. It is next to impossible to find anything in a 90-pages long thread.

I've spent 20 min trying to figure out why the program is not working, only to discover I've downloaded the wrong files (not meant for Pioneer BDP-170). 

Pioneer 160/170 files:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gnpma48ceil80w5/AABdmZyVGf8PTo5mq3kRLIEOa?dl=0

Pioneer 160/170 manual:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/13mq5pihw0enoqy/SACD Image Creation Process for Pioneer BDP-80FD.txt?dl=0

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Adam,

I already updated the first post!!!  Did it last month!   I also mentioned I could use some help as I don't do any of this ripping; I use a PS3.  It is very clear that HighResGuy's dropbox has the instructions for the Pios (and not the Oppos).   There was never any mention of player manuals being in my edited post.

It would be nice to update the opening post with model specific files and manuals.

As ted_b states, clear Instructions for ripping with the Pioneer BDP-160/170/80FD are given in the link on post #1.

Indeed, reference to BDP-160 specific files are not linked in these instructions AFIK. There was a link to these files in HiRezGuy's original post on p 78. ted_b could you please add the link on post #1?,

User manuals for the BDP-160 can be found on the internet using a search engine.

On 21-7-2016 at 4:49 PM, YashN said:

At least we now have several models from different manufacturers to hunt for.

I have bought a NAND PS3 PHAT (CHECH04) and wanted to buy (and use) progskeet to downgrade to FW3.55 so i could finally rip my SACD's...........................eeeehhhhh......just before buying it i found this topic.

Bought for € 68,- a Pioneer BDP-160 and within (literally) less than 15min i was already ripping my first SACD.

No need for a FW-version check no nothing, installed it wired, ripping at approxiametly 2.9 MB/s directly on my local computer harddisk and not on the PS3 disk.

Since FAT32 is limited to 4GB i had to rip one SACD (who was > 4GB) directly to *.DSF instead of ISO. (-s parameter instead of -I) So my advise :

Don't even think about a PS3, hell of a job to downgrade plus progskeet cost (without the PS3) the same as a second hand Pioneer BDP-160 on eBay.

Thnx for this topic and those who wrote the procedure/scripts.

Best regard,

Léon

1 hour ago, LeonJehae said:

I have bought a NAND PS3 PHAT (CHECH04) and wanted to buy (and use) progskeet to downgrade to FW3.55 so i could finally rip my SACD's...........................eeeehhhhh......just before buying it i found this topic.

Bought for € 68,- a Pioneer BDP-160 and within (literally) less than 15min i was already ripping my first SACD.

No need for a FW-version check no nothing, installed it wired, ripping at approxiametly 2.9 MB/s directly on my local computer harddisk and not on the PS3 disk.

Since FAT32 is limited to 4GB i had to rip one SACD (who was > 4GB) directly to *.DSF instead of ISO. (-s parameter instead of -I) So my advise :

Don't even think about a PS3, hell of a job to downgrade plus progskeet cost (without the PS3) the same as a second hand Pioneer BDP-160 on eBay.

Thnx for this topic and those who wrote the procedure/scripts.

Best regard,

Léon

Not to mention that particular PS3 was the wrong model anyway! ?

56 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

According to its spec sheet, the Pioneer 160 reads NTFS from USB. It should be able to write to it via the ripping program if he rips locally.

Ah.  I thought we were talking about the PS3, not the Pioneer.  Sorry.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

3 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

I kept a list of 'the correct models' in my phone for years, checking local ebay, cash converters ... then I got an Oppo 105 & then one day Ted put this thread up ...!

I sold my PS3 the day I first ripped an SACD from my Oppo 105.  Was happy to get $160 for that thing.

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

43 minutes ago, Hikmer said:

I sold my PS3 the day I first ripped an SACD from my Oppo 105.  Was happy to get $160 for that thing.

I still have a pair of them that I continue to use for ripping SACDs as they ain't good for anything else.  

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

On 7/9/2017 at 3:54 PM, Phthalocyanine said:

Or format the USB drive in NTFS if your player can read that.

Forget NTFS. Use exFAT. It's pretty much the default these days for high-capacity USB mass storage, and it gets around most of the limitations of FAT32 while remaining compatible with nearly everything.

- JediJoker

9 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

ExFat may well be the wave of the future for high-capacity USB storage, but the only relevant issue for LeonJehae is what formats his Pioneer 160 will recognize in USB.  NTFS is listed in the specs, ExFat is not.  I'm sure some Pioneer 160 owners can chime in on whether or not ExFat will work for the Pio 160.

Given that the Pioneer 160 is based around the same MediaTek architecture as my Oppo 103D, I can nearly guarantee exFAT will work.

- JediJoker