IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

^ Has anyone actually had success ripping SACD's to a USB storage device that's local to the player rather than ripping over the network to storage that the computer initiating the ripping process has access to?  I thought ripping to local storage was only an option with the PS3 solution.  I also don't really see the point of ripping to local storage anyway as I doubt it's going to have any tangible benefits such as faster ripping which doesn't appear to be constrained by the network bandwidth but rather the speed the drive operates at.

2 hours ago, greynolds said:

^ Has anyone actually had success ripping SACD's to a USB storage device that's local to the player rather than ripping over the network to storage that the computer initiating the ripping process has access to?  I thought ripping to local storage was only an option with the PS3 solution.  I also don't really see the point of ripping to local storage anyway as I doubt it's going to have any tangible benefits such as faster ripping which doesn't appear to be constrained by the network bandwidth but rather the speed the drive operates at.

Yes, I did start by ripping to USB via PS3 years ago.  It was actually a bit slower than ripping via network on the same machine.  I do not think Ethernet is limiting the speed at all, but the SACD optical drives always are.

Don't get me started because there were many other downsides of USB ripping, which is why I was only too glad to stop doing it,

The question is whether one can rip locally (that is to an attached USB thumbdrive or harddrive) using the new method with Oppos and Pioneers.  The answer is Yes.  Several posters here have done so.  Search for posts by "Roberto."  This can be a good method for those with a slow network connection to their player. 

However, looking back on the post by LeonJehae, it is not clear that that was what he was doing.  It seems like he was ripping to his computer through the network but was worried about the FAT32 4GB file size limit on his computer.  But no major computer operating system has used FAT32 as their file system since Windows 98.  So I think he never had a problem to begin with.

1 hour ago, Phthalocyanine said:

The question is whether one can rip locally (that is to an attached USB thumbdrive or harddrive) using the new method with Oppos and Pioneers.  The answer is Yes.  Several posters here have done so.  Search for posts by "Roberto."  This can be a good method for those with a slow network connection to their player. 

However, looking back on the post by LeonJehae, it is not clear that that was what he was doing.  It seems like he was ripping to his computer through the network but was worried about the FAT32 4GB file size limit on his computer.  But no major computer operating system has used FAT32 as their file system since Windows 98.  So I think he never had a problem to begin with.

I used USB3 thumb drives, and it was the necessary FAT32 drive formatting with the PS3, that limited the file size to 4 GB, I believe.  With lengthy, Mch classical albums, it was a royal pain piecing them back together in hjsplit on the PC.  I think FAT32 is still around and still supported in Windows because of its compatibility with other OS's.

I personally see see no disadvantage whatsoever to ripping the ISOs directly to my NAS via Ethernet, then extracting them to dsf right there.  It saves manual copying and other steps saving me a lot of time and effort, especially with big batches of albums to be ripped and extracted. And, there is no file size limit.   I have also run rips and extracts concurrently all while simultaneously listening to music on the same PC in hi rez Mch with DSD-PCM176k on the fly conversion, bass management, Dirac Live EQ, etc. running in JRiver.  There was absolutely no effect on the music.

Even if if the ripping device and the output drive used supported larger files, I still fail to see any advantage.

I think FAT32 is still around and still supported in Windows because of its compatibility with other OS's

Yes, of course, FAT32 is still supported in Windows, in the sense that a computer running Windows can read this file system.  Windows can read a number of different file systems (like UDF on DVDs etc.)

My only point was that Windows currently uses NTFS as the file system for its operating system (and has since at least Windows XP) and consequently there is no file size limitation issue when copying large files to a Windows computer via network, which I think was what LeonJehae was worried about.

Hello, I have a Pioneer BDP-80FD that I'm trying to get set up with my system for the SACD ripping.  I am using a W7 PC on LAN connection to the router.  The BDP is connected to the router via wifi.  After some initial troubles, I am finally able to get the player tray to open when I insert the USB drive.  But that is where the troubles start.   If I run the sacd_extract from the command line prompt I get the following message:

Capture2.jpg

If I run ISO2DSD gui, then I get the following error:

Failed to connect 
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.111:2002 for reading 

Any thoughts?  Not sure where to go from here.  

Can't open 192.168.1.111:2002 for reading

Your network connections may not work properly. Can you ping the player?

Is your BDP80 on standby? You would see SCRN SVR, or something similar, on the display of the player.

Have you disabled auto-play and auto-resume functionality in the player's setup screen?

For reliable and fast network connections, and hence ripping speed, I prefer to use Ethernet connections to the router for both the PC AND my BDP160 player.

On ‎12‎-‎7‎-‎2017 at 7:40 PM, Phthalocyanine said:

ExFat may well be the wave of the future for high-capacity USB storage, but the only relevant issue for LeonJehae is what formats his Pioneer 160 will recognize in USB.  NTFS is listed in the specs, ExFat is not.  I'm sure some Pioneer 160 owners can chime in on whether or not ExFat will work for the Pio 160.

Thnx for the discussion guys but i actually even want to rip directly to DSF. It was that the manual reads how to rip to ISO. Just changed the -I option to -s and voila.  (Roon doesn't play ISO) Anyway, one SACD stopped (two times) at 98% when ripping over the network to a local (NTFS) harddisk. Ripped that same SACD directly to DSF on the same harddisk and everything was fine. So that's why i thought it could be to the limitations of FAT32. Probably NTFS will work indeed.

2 hours ago, KVDB010 said:

Your network connections may not work properly. Can you ping the player?

Is your BDP80 on standby? You would see SCRN SVR, or something similar, on the display of the player.

Have you disabled auto-play and auto-resume functionality in the player's setup screen?

For reliable and fast network connections, and hence ripping speed, I prefer to use Ethernet connections to the router for both the PC AND my BDP160 player.

Not on standby and auto-play/resume have all been disabled.

This is the message I get when I ping the player:

Pinging 192.168.1.111 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.111: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.111: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.111:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 1ms

32 minutes ago, superstar19 said:

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.111:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Pinging works, so the connection is basically OK. But it could be that port 2222, which is used for SACD ripping, is blocked, either by the computer firewall or the router firewall.

Claude

@superstar19

One last simple method I use when my BDP160 player is not responding properly is to reboot the player:

remove USB stick - power off -  unplug the power cord - wait 10 seconds and plug in power cord.

On 3-10-2016 at 0:06 AM, paul3000h said:

When finished First remove USB stick and turn off player and power ie reboot the player to return it to normal player use.

1 hour ago, LeonJehae said:

The CHECH is a correct model to downgrade, see : http://www.instructables.com/id/Introduction-54/

No offense but your are dead wrong.  Your NAND PS3 PHAT (CHECH04) is not even close to the only PS3s capable of ripping SACDS (namely CECHA, B, C and E).  Please read the article you listed and refer to the table in it, a table I've listed several times here on CA since 2011, when I first wrote the guide.  I know it's somewhat confusing, but simply stick to those models and you are half way there (firmware being the other half).  Sorry for the hijack; this thread is about Oppos/Pioneers anyway, a much easier approach.

On 24-6-2017 at 11:33 AM, audio1 said:

Under Windows 8 the sacd_extract ISO copy from network process works perfectly.
But if I reboot into my Windows XP-SP3 installation on the same computer, the process fails, with this error message:

libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.160:2002 for reading

In both cases my firewall software was turned off.  I already know that sacd_extract works fine under Windows XP for SACD extraction from local file sources, say, from ISO to dsf.  But it seems that Windows XP is no good for SACD extraction via network.

@superstar19

Is this maybe relevant for you?

32 minutes ago, ted_b said:

No offense but your are dead wrong.  Your NAND PS3 PHAT (CHECH04) is not even close to the only PS3s capable of ripping SACDS (namely CECHA, B, C and E).  Please read the article you listed and refer to the table in it, a table I've listed several times here on CA since 2011, when I first wrote the guide.  I know it's somewhat confusing, but simply stick to those models and you are half way there (firmware being the other half).  Sorry for the hijack; this thread is about Oppos/Pioneers anyway, a much easier approach.

Whot í'm reading wrong then"? 04 is not 4 or? The last C?

CHECH04_60GBJPG.thumb.JPG.235232ed835641abf3c0d0fb0c20a3da.JPG

2 hours ago, LeonJehae said:

Thnx for the discussion guys but i actually even want to rip directly to DSF. It was that the manual reads how to rip to ISO. Just changed the -I option to -s and voila.  (Roon doesn't play ISO) Anyway, one SACD stopped (two times) at 98% when ripping over the network to a local (NTFS) harddisk. Ripped that same SACD directly to DSF on the same harddisk and everything was fine. So that's why i thought it could be to the limitations of FAT32. Probably NTFS will work indeed.

Your failing rip was probably caused by trying to store the results on a folder with a long path name. You need to create a folder on the root of your chosen drive and give it a short name. See my Oppo-related document on Page 1 for a more detailed description (this issue is the same for all machines).

16 hours ago, superstar19 said:

Thanks for the reply.  My PC is running Windows 7.  I also tried from a laptop running W10 and had the same issue.  When I get home tonight, I will try messing around with the windows and router firewall settings.

Still not able to get anywhere with my BDP-80FD even by disabling the firewall settings on the router and windows.  I also tried connecting the BDP directly to router via LAN.  My router interface shows it on the network with an IP address, but I could not ping it from my PC.  I would get the host is unreachable.  So something is definitely screwy with network.  I was able to successfully ping when it was connected to wifi, but now with it connected via LAN it won't.

Not sure what else to try now.  I'm fairly tech savvy, but this one has really got me stumped.

3 minutes ago, superstar19 said:

Still not able to get anywhere with my BDP-80FD even by disabling the firewall settings on the router and windows.  I also tried connecting the BDP directly to router via LAN.  My router interface shows it on the network with an IP address, but I could not ping it from my PC.  I would get the host is unreachable.  So something is definitely screwy with network.  I was able to successfully ping when it was connected to wifi, but now with it connected via LAN it won't.

Not sure what else to try now.  I'm fairly tech savvy, but this one has really got me stumped.

What's on the USB stick? 9.3/10 "can't read 192...." faults are related to the location of the three files, their extensions and to a certain extent versions. The Pioneers need a different file than the Oppo/Cambridge players, but that's where the similarities end.

If the first try doesn't succeed, close off the Sonore app and restart the player. It won't reset by itself.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

On 7/15/2017 at 1:18 AM, One and a half said:

What's on the USB stick? 9.3/10 "can't read 192...." faults are related to the location of the three files, their extensions and to a certain extent versions. The Pioneers need a different file than the Oppo/Cambridge players, but that's where the similarities end.

If the first try doesn't succeed, close off the Sonore app and restart the player. It won't reset by itself.

My USB stick has the "AutoScript" folder from the "SACD-extract-BDP160.zip" file that was linked in this thread.  The AutoScript folder contains:

AutoScript

AutoScript.TSS

sacd_extract_160

The only change in behavior is when I switched to a FAT32 formatted stick which resulted in the BDP drive tray opening up with the USB stick inserted in the slot.  My initial efforts were with an exFAT stick.

14 minutes ago, superstar19 said:

My USB stick has the "AutoScript" folder from the "SACD-extract-BDP160.zip" file that was linked in this thread.  The AutoScript folder contains:

AutoScript

AutoScript.TSS

sacd_extract_160

The only change in behavior is when I switched to a FAT32 formatted stick which resulted in the BDP drive tray opening up with the USB stick inserted in the slot.  My initial efforts were with an exFAT stick.

The file structure looks OK. What's the size of the stick? a 4GB is more than plenty.

Sometimes the USB stick needs a partition.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

3 minutes ago, One and a half said:

The file structure looks OK. What's the size of the stick? a 4GB is more than plenty.

Sometimes the USB stick needs a partition.

It's only 2GB.

I also just noticed that a folder called "BUDA" is getting added after interfacing with the machine.