IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

48 minutes ago, superstar19 said:

Any of you Pioneer owners successfully ripping while connected through a router?  If so, what make/model?  I’m wondering if my issues are related to the router and settings.  I have a Linksys EA7300 (Wireless-AC1750) router running my network.

Yes I am, Pioneer BDP-80fd connected to an Apple Airport Extreme router via 10 feet of Cat5e, no issues ripping several hundred SACDs.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

1 hour ago, superstar19 said:

Any of you Pioneer owners successfully ripping while connected through a router?  If so, what make/model?  I’m wondering if my issues are related to the router and settings.  I have a Linksys EA7300 (Wireless-AC1750) router running my network.

A router is at the centre of almost all networks. If you can successfully ping your Pioneer from your computer then the network is unlikely to be the cause of any ripping issues.

I just got a Pioneer BDP-170.  I have struggled all night, forever getting the 'SACD_extract.exe has stopped working' message.  It seems that by ensuring the IP Address in the Pioneer is set to Auto, fixed things for me.  Also, I made sure to use the Autoscript folder specific for the Pioneer 160, and also the latest version of sacd_extract, which is 0.3.8.  I'm pretty sure setting the IP address to auto was the fix that did it for me, but I mention the other things I did too.  This might save someone an hour or two.  I'm on my third disc now, all working well.

43 minutes ago, Bob Harvie said:

I just got a Pioneer BDP-170.  I have struggled all night, forever getting the 'SACD_extract.exe has stopped working' message.  It seems that by ensuring the IP Address in the Pioneer is set to Auto, fixed things for me.  Also, I made sure to use the Autoscript folder specific for the Pioneer 160, and also the latest version of sacd_extract, which is 0.3.8.  I'm pretty sure setting the IP address to auto was the fix that did it for me, but I mention the other things I did too.  This might save someone an hour or two.  I'm on my third disc now, all working well.

Using an auto IP address setting means that you are allowing DHCP in your router to allocate its own choice of address. That means the address can vary, so you can never be certain which address to use when communicating with the Pioneer. It is thus more likely to be the cause of problems, not the cure. A fixed IP address makes things much simpler.

57 minutes ago, haggis999 said:

Using an auto IP address setting means that you are allowing DHCP in your router to allocate its own choice of address. That means the address can vary, so you can never be certain which address to use when communicating with the Pioneer. It is thus more likely to be the cause of problems, not the cure. A fixed IP address makes things much simpler.

My router has a setting to assign devices to a specific IP address.  I use this for my PC and I had been also having the router set the BDP to a fixed IP, but I hadn't tried the with my BDP set to AUTO.  Will also give that a try.

2 hours ago, haggis999 said:

Using an auto IP address setting means that you are allowing DHCP in your router to allocate its own choice of address. That means the address can vary, so you can never be certain which address to use when communicating with the Pioneer.

Sure you can. Just click on the properties of the player showing up in the network connections of your laptop/PC. Alternatively one can consult the router's list of DHCP clients.

1 hour ago, KVDB010 said:

Sure you can. Just click on the properties of the player showing up in the network connections of your laptop/PC. Alternatively one can consult the router's list of DHCP clients.

Yes, indeed. What I meant was that you can't be certain of the address without such a check. That soon becomes a bit of a bore and I found it much more convenient to use a fixed IP address.

I finally got this to work (so far -- rip is in progress as I type).  Tried the most recent suggestions and still wasn't getting anywhere.  Then I tried a different USB stick (another 2GB drive) and re-formatted it and copied the files from my HD to the stick and now success.  Thanks to all for the suggestions.

20 hours ago, haggis999 said:

Hi Haggis999

Thank you for the reply.  I agree with you, which is why I tried in vain to use a fixed address. For some reason, (perhaps it timed out), it seemed that the pioneer disappeared from my network after a period of time when I tried the fixed address.  I tried pinging it, it worked, then I tried to rip, and it didn't; I'd ping again, and found I had lost the connection.   I found that by switching to Auto, I could locate the Pioneer on my network which had an IP address of 192.168.0.105 (I used ipscan 2.5 to determine this - which you can do as a portable app, rather than by installing it)  Having got that address, I typed that into the Autoscript file and it worked.  I'm now on day 2 of my ripping, and I it's ripping quite merrily as I type this message.  That's after having shutdown my system last night and restarted this evening.  I guess once the Auto IP address is set up, it sticks with that unless something changes.  I imagine if I have to add something else to my network and the Pioneer wasn't on, that address may be taken by the new device and I'd have to start again.  I have very little networking expertise so I don't know.  I simply breathe a sigh of sigh relief when things work.

I'm now on 10+ SACD's and it's working very nicely.

This makes so much sense.  Who wouldn't want to buy the hard copy to keep safely while you listen to a ripped version (which can easily be lost, HHD failure etc.) you would have a backup.  Downloads sound great but they can disappear so quickly if something goes wrong.  But listening from a computer makes so much more sense with your investment safe?  what's wrong with that?

Has anyone successfully ripped a 3 channel recording (as examples Harry Belafonte Live at Carnegie Hall or Brubeck Time Out) and then been able to play the ripped files as either dsf or flac three channel?  The multi-channel ripped dsf and flac files will only play as stereo on JRiver, refusing to play as multi-channel. They play fine as a three channel on my Oppo.

Thanks

14 minutes ago, frfrtx said:

Has anyone successfully ripped a 3 channel recording (as examples Harry Belafonte Live at Carnegie Hall or Brubeck Time Out) and then been able to play the ripped files as either dsf or flac three channel?  The multi-channel ripped dsf and flac files will only play as stereo on JRiver, refusing to play as multi-channel. They play fine as a three channel on my Oppo.

Thanks

Yes.  I have done some old Mercury and RCA SACDs.  They must be extracted to DSF as Mch.  Then, they play for me as 5.0 in JRiver, but the surround channels are null, of course.   I generally like the sound much better as 3.0 rather than 2.0.  

8 minutes ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

Yes.  I have done some old Mercury and RCA SACDs.  They must be extracted to DSF as Mch.  Then, they play for me as 5.0 in JRiver, but the surround channels are null, of course.   I generally like the sound much better as 3.0 rather than 2.0.  

I have tried extracting as multi-channel as you describe above, and have not been able to play them as multi-channel.  JRiver has a popup that states they must be played as stereo. On the Audio properties they show as 5.0 channels.  All my 5.0 and 5.1 multi-channel SACD's play without a problem, and I have ripped the 2.0 channels from the discs to play on my potable DAP.  Are you playing them as dsf files or as converted to PCM?

Thanks

1 minute ago, himey said:

Use Audiomuxer or Audacity to create a 5.1 file to be read by any player. Doesn't change the file size, it only adds blank info channels to the original 3.0 file. I do this to all the quad recordings I rip to make them universally recognized.

Thanks, will give that a try.

13 minutes ago, himey said:

Use Audiomuxer or Audacity to create a 5.1 file to be read by any player. Doesn't change the file size, it only adds blank info channels to the original 3.0 file. I do this to all the quad recordings I rip to make them universally recognized.

You're converting to PCM, so enter at your own risk.  Me, I play 3.0 DSD on JRiver all the time.  I have mopst of the Living Stereo and Mercury Living Presence stuff ripped to DSF and all is well.

6 minutes ago, ted_b said:

You're converting to PCM, so enter at your own risk.  Me, I play 3.0 DSD on JRiver all the time.  I have mopst of the Living Stereo and Mercury Living Presence stuff ripped to DSF and all is well.

Are you playing the files as an iso or individual dsf files or some other format? I tried dsf and PCM and could not get either to play MCH.  I could not get iso to play at all.

If you examine the audio properties of the file does it show that the file is 3.0 or 5.0?  I am looking at the files with dBpoweramp, and they show up as 5.0.

Thanks again for all the help.

2 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Sounds great on my setup. The conversion doesn't bother me and DSD limits the settings for BM and other processing some people need in their setups if they use subs or time alignment correction, eq, ect.

1 minute ago, frfrtx said:

Are you playing the files as an iso or individual dsf files or some other format? I tried dsf and PCM and could not get either to play MCH.  I could not get iso to play at all.

If you examine the audio properties of the file does it show that the file is 3.0 or 5.0?  I am looking at the files with dBpoweramp, and they shoow up as 5.0.

Thanks again for all the help.

Get a visual of the file by opening in Audacity and make sure the mapping of the channels are correct.

2 minutes ago, frfrtx said:

I have tried extracting as multi-channel as you describe above, and have not been able to play them as multi-channel.  JRiver has a popup that states they must be played as stereo. On the Audio properties they show as 5.0 channels.  All my 5.0 and 5.1 multi-channel SACD's play without a problem, and I have ripped the 2.0 channels from the discs to play on my potable DAP.  Are you playing them as dsf files or as converted to PCM?

Thanks

I play the DSFs converted to PCM176, but I have not tried direct playback of the DSFs as DSD to a different zone without bass management, etc.  I could, and I have done that with other DSFs. I do not see why there should be an issue.  

Have you checked the actual Channels tag and other metadata in the library for the tracks you intend to play?  

2 minutes ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

I play the DSFs converted to PCM176, but I have not tried direct playback of the DSFs as DSD to a different zone without bass management, etc.  I could, and I have done that with other DSFs. I do not see why there should be an issue.  

Have you checked the actual Channels tag and other metadata in the library for the tracks you intend to play?  

It is definitely three channel and plays as three channel on my Oppo.

38 minutes ago, himey said:

My JRiver library is mainly SACD rips extracted as Mch DSF via ISO2DSD.  All the 3 channel RCA and Mercury  discs have come up as Channels = 5, not 3, automatically in the tags. As I said, the surround channels are automatically null.

Pentatones from Quad-era recordings also come up as 5 channels, but with a null center.  5.1 SACDs come up with Channels = 6, since Channels is an integer.

incidentally, in JRiver, I use 5.1 channels as the output setting parameter together with JRiver bass management for all of the above, together with the play stereo as 2.1 box checked in my output spec.  Setting output channels to Source Number of Channels causes channel assignment problems.  And, just to complete the picture, I use a different 7.1 output zone for playback of 7.1 BDs, with automatic zone selection via Zoneswitch, based on the Channels tag > 6.

No problems at all for me with the above settings.