IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I was not succesful using the latest instructions as posted in the latest Word doc version 1.3. I've followed all steps carefully.

I've got an Oppo BDP-103. Modified European model which can be switched to read all Blu Ray regions.

I've formatted the USB drive (tried both NTSF and FAT) and put the 3 files in an Autoscript folder as described.

When I insert the USB drive into the front port of the Oppo, it detects "USB IN" and the USB lights up. However, the drawer does NOT open.

I've opened it myself and put in an SACD, closed the drawer, and started the ISO2DSD program.

This results in the following message:

Failed to connect 
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.14:2002 for reading 

Any help would be very much appreciated.

1 hour ago, awesome said:

I was not succesful using the latest instructions as posted in the latest Word doc version 1.3. I've followed all steps carefully.

I've got an Oppo BDP-103. Modified European model which can be switched to read all Blu Ray regions.

I've formatted the USB drive (tried both NTSF and FAT) and put the 3 files in an Autoscript folder as described.

When I insert the USB drive into the front port of the Oppo, it detects "USB IN" and the USB lights up. However, the drawer does NOT open.

I've opened it myself and put in an SACD, closed the drawer, and started the ISO2DSD program.

This results in the following message:

Failed to connect 
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.14:2002 for reading 

Any help would be very much appreciated.

don't know how, but it's working now....

49 minutes ago, ted_b said:

not for multichannel they don't. 

You can also play by file and folder from NAS, which doesn't use DLNA.  That is what I usually do - multichannel files play just fine on my 203 that way.  Although you can do that with the Oppo remote, I almost always use the Oppo app. 

Yes, that was why I asked about NAS setup; SMB shares or something a little easier.  Doing multichannel (large files) from a USB stick is a PITA. Note: this is all somewhat rhetorical; I don't own an Oppo 10x or 20x, just asking for others.  I do multichannel via HQplayer and my exaSound e28. 

16 hours ago, awesome said:
Interesting topic, just found this this evening! I've got an Oppo player so will try this tomorrow. 
So once I've got an ISO file from the SACD; how do I get to FLAC?
I know DSD is better, but I need room correction, so I need to go the FLAC route.

I insist on Room Correction, too.  But, I rip SACDs to ISO, then extract them to DSF, which I store on my NAS.  I play them with JRiver, which converts to PCM 176 on the fly, applies bass management, and routs that via Dirac Live to my DAC.  

I don't think it is worth the time and energy to preconvert my 4,000 SACD rips to FLAC. Storage savings are not that significant.  It works great and sounds great converting to PCM on the fly.

1 hour ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

I insist on Room Correction, too.  But, I rip SACDs to ISO, then extract them to DSF, which I store on my NAS.  I play them with JRiver, which converts to PCM 176 on the fly, applies bass management, and routs that via Dirac Live to my DAC.  

I don't think it is worth the time and energy to preconvert my 4,000 SACD rips to FLAC. Storage savings are not that significant.  It works great and sounds great converting to PCM on the fly.

Thanks for all replies. I found dBPoweramp converts the files to FLAC fine (stereo and surround). I don't owe 4.000 SACD's (just about 125), so conversion is not too big a problem for me. I do keep the DSF files of course.

18 minutes ago, Dick Darlington said:

I can't speak for the truly newer Oppos but I have a 103 and it definitely plays MC DSD (up to 5.6 MHz) and FLAC (up to 192KHz). I *think* it plays ALAC same as FLAC but I can't remember for certain. 

Okay I believe I misspoke w/r/t the 5.6 MHz DSD. A vague memory of the limit being DSD64  (2.3 MHz) and a google search later I stand corrected. ?‍♂️ 

28 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Yes. they do.  I can send multichannel PCM/DSD from jRiver via DLNA over Ethernet to Oppos 103, 105 and 205.

Thanks for the confirm.

20 hours ago, ted_b said:

not for multichannel they don't. 

I guess this might be more a problem of a particular DLNA server and its configuration. They are often pretty limited in support of advanced formats, and even if they aren't, they may be configured to downsample or reasample hi-res by default. Watch out for DLNA, it is a tricky technology!

Anyway, playing anything/any-channel from a SMB mount or local USB/HDD is not a problem at all, for an Oppo.

How do you even check which version of sacd extract you have?  I also downloaded iso2dsd_PC_v7, but i have no idea how you all are using it.  How does this connect with SACD-extract-BDP160?  I have a BDP-80FD on order, due soon.  I thought it wouldn't be this allusive (?), but now that I'm downloading this software I just can't see how it all fits together.  Maybe I'll piece it together, maybe not.  I might just need some time to get frustrated, calm down, and take another approach to looking at it all...  Nothing like sleeping on it...

3 hours ago, Drewd said:

How do you even check which version of sacd extract you have?  I also downloaded iso2dsd_PC_v7, but i have no idea how you all are using it.  How does this connect with SACD-extract-BDP160?  I have a BDP-80FD on order, due soon.  I thought it wouldn't be this allusive (?), but now that I'm downloading this software I just can't see how it all fits together.  Maybe I'll piece it together, maybe not.  I might just need some time to get frustrated, calm down, and take another approach to looking at it all...  Nothing like sleeping on it...

Go to the first post, on the first page, and scroll down until you see a separate section "June 2017", a bit further down, you will see a link to the instructions for the Pioneer's.

I decided to mess with this today.  I guess I was just bored.  I have an Oppo 103 so it seemed like the right thing to try.  I followed the directions over and over but could not get this to work at all.  And then I decided that one of the instructions must be wrong.  It says:

Plug the USB memory stick into the USB input on the front panel of the Oppo 103/105. Assuming that the machine is already powered up, then this will cause the disc drawer to open.  

This did not happen for me no matter how many times I tried it.  So with the USB stick in the front panel of the Oppo I powered off the player and then powered it back on and now everything is working great.  I think the instruction about just plugging it in to the front panel with the Oppo on and the drawer will open was mistaken.  I ripped my first SACD and tried playing with with much jubilation.  I have about 300 SACDs and my plan is to rip them all over the next few days.  On to SACD #2....

2 hours ago, John A said:

I decided to mess with this today.  I guess I was just bored.  I have an Oppo 103 so it seemed like the right thing to try.  I followed the directions over and over but could not get this to work at all.  And then I decided that one of the instructions must be wrong.  It says:

Plug the USB memory stick into the USB input on the front panel of the Oppo 103/105. Assuming that the machine is already powered up, then this will cause the disc drawer to open.  

This did not happen for me no matter how many times I tried it.  So with the USB stick in the front panel of the Oppo I powered off the player and then powered it back on and now everything is working great.  I think the instruction about just plugging it in to the front panel with the Oppo on and the drawer will open was mistaken.  I ripped my first SACD and tried playing with with much jubilation.  I have about 300 SACDs and my plan is to rip them all over the next few days.  On to SACD #2....

Very glad it worked for you! But the instruction is not necessarily wrong. For me, and I gather for many other folks, just sticking the USB stick into the front-panel port when the machine already is on works. I do, however, have a 105, so I guess it's possible that the 103 is different...?

I too experienced what John A did with my Oppo 103. It will only work for me if I plug in the USB stick THEN power up the Oppo. It takes about 45 secs for my Oppo to recognise the USB stick and open its drawer. Drawer opening does not happen immediately upon power up. This also threw me as I wasn't waiting long enough before switching off and trying again.

It took me quite some time to work this out and I initially thought it wouldn't work. It did but only after I got a phone call after powering up the Oppo with the USB stick inserted which caused me to pause sufficiently for the drawer to open...... otherwise I'd probably still be trying to work it out....... six months later!

It truly is a great thing and thanks again to whoever it was who developed the hack. Perhaps the initial instructions need to be amended for Oppo machines...???? Not sure how to do this.