IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I just tested putting a 1.7GB SACD ISO file into a ZIP file with "maximum" compression in 7ZIP (second highest compression level), the size was reduced to 1.1GB. So it's worth trying.

If you must stick to FAT32, and you can't compress a file below 4GB, you could pack the ISO into a multi-volume archive, for example in 1GB parts.

Useful information about multi-volume archives

Thanks, will give it a try. Not a problem I anticipated.

@ Norton,

In my experience of PS3 ripping (over 850 SACDs) I find the average size is around 3 GB and that >4GB is unusual, but they do exist as you have found out. I respectfully suggest you rip all SACD to a FAT32 USB stick (compulsory) and then transfer all your iso dumps to a Non FAT32 drive, say NTFS if on Windows. Your main long term storage drive needs to be NOT FAT32!

NB

I imagine the rip/dump of the iso process via Oppo is the same as with the PS3, so when an SACD is over 4GB the dump to the FAT32 drive is in 2 parts. You can not join those 2 parts while they are on the FAT32 stick. Simply move the 2 parts to another (eg NTFS) drive and use HJSplit to join the 2 parts on the non FAT32 drive and hey presto a nice >4GB iso.

www.realafrica.net

Yes, about 7-8% of my very large ISO collection are over 4GB, so you'll need to use HJSplit that often. Realafrica's comments about doing the merge on your pc's NTFS drive is very on point.

Yes, about 7-8% of my very large ISO collection are over 4GB, so you'll need to use HJSplit that often.

In Windows, I simply rip to my internal NTFS HDD or an external NTFS HDD. No extra hassle with files >4GB.

I'm happy to report that all my extended-play stereo SACDs from BIS ripped perfectly. It's great having over 4 hours of music on one "disc"! Is anyone aware of any others besides the Bach, the Dowland, and the two Mendelssohn?

So far, I have had a single audio glitch on only one rip. I re-ripped and it was fine. I don't know the source of the interference, but to be safe, I now do all rips on (laptop) battery power only. Oppo and router are on Furman linear AC filter. Anyone else experience an audio glitch?

Agreed. There's no need to mess with HJSplit.

I should stress that I do rip straight to a NTFS drive on my PC with no problem.

My only issue being that the external HDD drive I use purely for making backups of the resulting ISOs is formatted FAT32. About 10 of my ISOs so far are 4.2gb or bigger.

My only issue being that the external HDD drive I use purely for making backups of the resulting ISOs is formatted FAT32. About 10 of my ISOs so far are 4.2gb or bigger.

Is there a reason to keep FAT32? If not, using NTFS (which has many advantages over FAT32) is the obvious solution.

Claude

Purely that this drive already has around a TB of various backups. Will ensure I use NTFS in future.

Well, since it is always a good thing to have multiple backups, you can always copy everything to a second, NTFS-formatted drive, and when you are 100% sure that drive is reliable, reformat the first and copy back the data. I know this is annoying, but I have several backups myself. Backup strategies make sense only if brutal.

Roberto

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Probably a ridiculous request but here goes....would anyone be wililng to rip my very small SACD collection for me? I only have about 15 SACD. Of course I would be willing to pay for time, shipping, etc. Once ripped I would be willing to let you keep my SACDs since I wont have any need for them anymore (I hope that is legal). Thank you!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

those players that:

1) have Mediatek chips MT8580 (like Oppo 103/105, Cambridge Audio 752bd/cxu, Pioneer bdp-lx58/88 ) or MT8560 (like Pioneer BDP-160/170 and 180)

2) have an ethernet connection

3) have normal factory firmwares (meaning no mods)

Is the current BDP-180 which seems easily available ok. Pioneer BDP180K Wi-Fi 4K Up-Scaling 3D Blu-Ray Player. Thanks.

I think only possible to be legal to have a copy if you retain the original. Where are you located ?

I am in California.

Of course I dont want to break any laws. I am still willing to pay someone for the trouble. Pretty please someone... :)

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Is the current BDP-180 which seems easily available ok. Pioneer BDP180K Wi-Fi 4K Up-Scaling 3D Blu-Ray Player. Thanks.

No!

As it has turned out (documented at the beginning of this thread), the BDP-180 uses a different chipset and is not suited for ripping!

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

I did my first successful rip, with a speed between 2.2-2.8 MB/s

At previous attempts, my Pioneer BDP-170 froze as soon as the sacd.cmd was started, and I had to unplug it.

I then disabled the "Disc Auto Playback" and "Last Memory" options and it worked fine.

I'm very happy this is working for you after so much frustration with the finding the 170 and it being DOA previously. Happy ripping!

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I am having a problem playing DSF files through my Yamaha CX-A5100 via Kodi via UnRaid. Whenever I play a ripped SACD I get a sound between the tracks that sounds like you just dropped the stylus on a record. I know it has to be the Yamaha as my other 2 rooms do not get the same problem, and both of them are using Kodi via Unraid. Is there a setting in the 5100 that could be causing this problem?

Many thanks to all of the contributors of this subject.

My SACDs and Oppo103D found new life. I am happy to backup a rare SACD such as "The Steve Davis Project - Quality of Silence (dmp)".

I use exaSound e28 for multichannel playback. I use exaSound Playpoint and/or a WS2012 AO pc for playback - together or interchageably.

Since I have a relatively large library, I prefered to use Jriver for music control - even driving the PlayPoint (rather than Mpod or other methods)

As for ripping strategy, initially I wasn't sure whether to output a compact ISO file containing both stereo and multichannel or DSF for each track.

But I think DSF is the right way to go with PlayPoint. At the expense of larger files resulting from DST to DSF conversion.

Please correct me if I'm wrong thinking DLNA/UPNP does not support ISO playback but individual DSF tracks.

I preferred to use the command promt for sacd_extract.exe:

sacd_extract -2 -s -c -i <myIPaddress>:2002 -P and

sacd_extract -m -s -c -i <myIPaddress>:2002 -P

Using the command line parameters "2" (stereo output) and "m" (mch) together in a single command causes multichannel files to be written over the stereo files (or vice versa). So I learned first to rip stereo tracks, and rename that directory, and than rip mch tracks.

my 2 cents :-)

I could read only 2/3 of the threads here, sorry in case of any duplication.

UbuntuFileServer > CAPS like Music Server + WS2012 R2 Core Mode + Jriver MC21 + HDplex 100W LPS > exaSound e28 > power amp.
Probably a ridiculous request but here goes....would anyone be wililng to rip my very small SACD collection for me? I only have about 15 SACD. Of course I would be willing to pay for time, shipping, etc. Once ripped I would be willing to let you keep my SACDs since I wont have any need for them anymore (I hope that is legal). Thank you!

I will do it for free if you take care of the shipping costs. I am in FL and have the spare time atm.

This is the one part of the instructions I don't understand. If I want to end up with a DSF file, why wouldn't I select DSF as the output format? Or do I have to run the raw ISO through ISO2DSD a second time to do that?

This site's search tool is undergoing some changes, still not quite right, so can't find the post quick enough, so will re-type the same message from memory.

1. Extraction to DSF directly takes longer than extracting the ISO.

2. Conversion to DSF and the resultant zero crossing divisions is not 100% perfect. Depending on DACs and players, you can either end up with a small click or a loud thump. Bogi's software is one way to automate this process, works very well, suggest you try this.

The optimum solution is to extract to the ISO first. This includes multi-channel information as well, should it be needed in the future. From this ISO, a DFF or DSF can be created at any time, in fact to extract a DSF from an ISO takes less than 20s per album, so it's not much of an effort.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA