IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Ok, now I am out of ideas remotely. Do you have anyone who shares your hobby or who is PC-savvy who can help you out on site? This really does work but any one of a little missteps can cause you to miss or misread a step and then it does not work...

Thanks for the effort, I really appreciate it. Don't really know anyone who would know what to do with this. It's not the end of the world. Perhaps I don't have the zip files in the root of the USB. When I plug the USB drive into my PC and view the contents the folder located there is the SACD folder and the Autoscript and sacd_extract files are in a sub-folder.

Thanks for the effort, I really appreciate it. Don't really know anyone who would know what to do with this. It's not the end of the world. Perhaps I don't have the zip files in the root of the USB. When I plug the USB drive into my PC and view the contents the folder located there is the SACD folder and the Autoscript and sacd_extract files are in a sub-folder.

The Autoscript folder should be the top level folder on the USB drive and should have 3 files in it. Like this (click the image to see the full size):

USB Autoscript.jpg

This site's search tool is undergoing some changes, still not quite right, so can't find the post quick enough, so will re-type the same message from memory.

1. Extraction to DSF directly takes longer than extracting the ISO.

2. Conversion to DSF and the resultant zero crossing divisions is not 100% perfect. Depending on DACs and players, you can either end up with a small click or a loud thump. Bogi's software is one way to automate this process, works very well, suggest you try this.

The optimum solution is to extract to the ISO first. This includes multi-channel information as well, should it be needed in the future. From this ISO, a DFF or DSF can be created at any time, in fact to extract a DSF from an ISO takes less than 20s per album, so it's not much of an effort.

That explains why I am getting the loud thumps!

thanks greynolds. A picture paints a thousand words.

Good sound: copy the three files inside autoscript to the usb drive, instead of copying the autoscript folder itself. That way, the files are at the root of the usb.

Um, no. The autoscript folder should be copied to the root on the USB drive and should contain the 3 files rather than putting the 3 files in the root. The left side of the picture I included shows the drive letter and folder while the right side shows the files that are in the folder. Good sound's previous reply at least implied that there's another folder involved so that the path to the tss file (and the other 2 files) would end up being \SACD\AutoScript\AutoScript.tss instead of \AutoScript\AutoScript.tss.

Um, no. The autoscript folder should be copied to the root on the USB drive and should contain the 3 files rather than putting the 3 files in the root. The left side of the picture I included shows the drive letter and folder while the right side shows the files that are in the folder. Good sound's previous reply at least implied that there's another folder involved so that the path to the tss file (and the other 2 files) would end up being \SACD\AutoScript\AutoScript.tss instead of \AutoScript\AutoScript.tss.

Yes that's correct. I now have the files loaded correctly on the USB drive. I inserted it into my Oppo and, whataya know, the drawer opened. So, now what. I inserted an SACD and SACD came up on the Oppo display. Nothing happened. I am still not sure what to run,where it might be, and how to get it to run.

Yes that's correct. I now have the files loaded correctly on the USB drive. I inserted it into my Oppo and, whataya know, the drawer opened. So, now what. I inserted an SACD and SACD came up on the Oppo display. Nothing happened. I am still not sure what to run,where it might be, and how to get it to run.

Get ISO2DSD going on PC and put in ip numbers from player. Update java or install it if need be. Your almost there...

ISO2DSD runs from the folder, there is no installing the program. It uses Java as a framework, so make sure after you have ISO2DSD unzipped into the folder you want, and where the SACD iso's will be ripped to, that you have java installed. In the folder you will see "iso2dsd_gui". There should be a little java icon. Click that to open it. Put in ip numbers, output mode raw data, push execute.

With conversions to DSF from the ISO, there's the ISO2DSD method, or using Bogi's script. Bogi extracts a DFF of the ISO, then uses DFF2DSF.exe from Signalyst. Unfortunately, Norton Internet Security removed the file as it was so dangerous and the conversion couldn't complete.

NIS have analysed the file, and it's now on the white list for all definitions from now on, which is some good news, so no more yanking the DFF2DSF.exe into Quarantine.

Still, there's the click at the start using HQPlayer and not Jriver for DSFs to consider.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I think the basics got a bit lost in this long thread.

As an overview, the Mediatek extraction method works like this:

- By connecting the prepared USB stick, the SACD/Blu-ray player will run a program at startup that allows SACD ripping (external access to the SACD data). This program waits for instructions over the network

- So the player must be connected to the internal network. On a computer connected to the same network, the user runs a program that requests the player to extract the SACD data and copies the data (as an SACD image file) over the network onto the computer hard drive

This means that, practically

- on the player: you must connect the prepared USB stick, start the player, and then just load the SACDs that you want to rip. If you rip several SACDs, just leave the player on and load and remove the discs after each rip

- on your computer: you start the ripping process manually for each SACD by clicking the sacd.cmd file. The SACD ripping results in "artist-title.iso" SACD image files which will be in the same folder as the sacd.cmd file. The ripping progression can be seen in the black command window that opens when you click the sacd.cmd, and which closes automatically when the ripping is finished (ripping one disc takes 10 minutes or more). You can then process the ISO files (extracting individual tracks for example) or copy them elsewhere.

Putting the extraction program files on the USB stick and your computer, finding the IP address of the player on the network are standard computer procedures which have been addressed elsewhere.

Claude

Get ISO2DSD going on PC and put in ip numbers from player. Update java or install it if need be. Your almost there...

ISO2DSD runs from the folder, there is no installing the program. It uses Java as a framework, so make sure after you have ISO2DSD unzipped into the folder you want, and where the SACD iso's will be ripped to, that you have java installed. In the folder you will see "iso2dsd_gui". There should be a little java icon. Click that to open it. Put in ip numbers, output mode raw data, push execute.

I can open the cdm command prompt, but can't seem to change the IP address to the Oppo's, plus everytime I start running the cdm it stops running after about 10 to 15 seconds.

I can open the cdm command prompt, but can't seem to change the IP address to the Oppo's, plus everytime I start running the cdm it stops running after about 10 to 15 seconds.

To edit the cmd, don't double-click (i.e. 'run') it. Instead, right-click and 'open with' notepad. The content opens as a text file. Edit the IP address in there and click 'file', then 'save'. Now run the cmd by double-clicking...

You may need to edit the sacd.cmd to change the IP address (the part underlined below) to the address your Oppo received in your network (check within the Oppo network settings, use your router interface or check the properties of the Oppo as displayed in the list of network devices in windows)

sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.105:2002 -P -I

Claude

I use the simple method from post #129. Sorry. I like a GUI which ISO2DSD provides and if you plan on converting to PCM from the ISO, you will have to use something like ISO2DSD anyway. But hey, if you want to bother with command prompts and fooling around with manual editing, have at it.

I was able to edit the CMD exe and I am now ripping my first SACD, Beck's Sea Change. Thank you to all that have helped. If you can get a dufus like me to work this out you could help just about anyone. Give yourselves a well deserved Pat on the back. Thanks again.

Glad you got it working.

I use the simple method from post #129. Sorry. I like a GUI which ISO2DSD provides and if you plan on converting to PCM from the ISO, you will have to use something like ISO2DSD anyway. But hey, if you want to bother with command prompts and fooling around with manual editing, have at it.
y

Most likely another misunderstanding on my part. I thought I had to rip to the CMD.exe first then convert with Sonore after the fact. Are you saying I can run Sonore and rip directly to there and do the iso to dsf conversion on the fly?

y

Most likely another misunderstanding on my part. I thought I had to rip to the CMD.exe first then convert with Sonore after the fact. Are you saying I can run Sonore and rip directly to there and do the iso to dsf conversion on the fly?

You can do it on the fly, but the consensus here is, it is best to rip to ISO first and then process afterward.

ISO2DSD can do a ISO rip or other output formats on the fly but going from ISO to something else is so fast, starting with an ISO makes more sense in the end.

Update Java on your PC and run ISO2DSD from a folder on the drive you plan on ripping your discs to. Very simple process and decide which method works best for you...again, use Kal's post #129 as a checklist.

I understand the BDP-83 is not supported, but I'm wondering if anyone know if it's because there's some hw/sw capability that the BDP-83 lacks that makes ripping SACDs impossible, or is it simply that the necessary code hasn't been written to work on this chipset?

Just curious. Waiting for my BDP-103 to show up tomorrow and then will sell my BDP-83.

No, ISO2DSD will handle ISOs with both stereo and multichannel, but it will not rip both layers at the same time. You'll have to do it serially. I doubt there's any solution that will do both simultaneously.

And to clarify, when creating an ISO of an SACD using any method, the entire SACD content of the disc (so, not the Redbook if it's hybrid)—including both stereo and multichannel, if it has both—will be contained in the ISO. This includes ISOs created using ISO2DSD. So, you can use it to both archive to ISO and then to rip the stereo and multichannel layers to DFF (or to DSF for the stereo only, but this is not recommended due to zero-crossing issues).

To clarify again, what you are saying that once you set the output setting of ISO2DSD to RAW ISO, it doesn't matter what you set the channel mode to, because you'll always get an ISO with both layers. But then you have run ISO2DSD again to extract either the stereo or multichannel layer. Is that right?

To clarify again, what you are saying that once you set the output setting of ISO2DSD to RAW ISO, it doesn't matter what you set the channel mode to, because you'll always get an ISO with both layers. But then you have run ISO2DSD again to extract either the stereo or multichannel layer. Is that right?

Exactly so.

- JediJoker

I understand the BDP-83 is not supported, but I'm wondering if anyone know if it's because there's some hw/sw capability that the BDP-83 lacks that makes ripping SACDs impossible, or is it simply that the necessary code hasn't been written to work on this chipset?

Just curious. Waiting for my BDP-103 to show up tomorrow and then will sell my BDP-83.

Great question. I would like to know this also. Sure would be great to get this going on my two 83 units.

Great question. I would like to know this also. Sure would be great to get this going on my two 83 units.

From what I understand, the Oppo 83 does not have the right chip. In order for the SACD rip procedure to work, the players must have one of two Mediatek chips MT8580 (like Oppo 103/105, Cambridge Audio 752bd/cxu, Pioneer bdp-lx58/88 ) or MT8560 (like Pioneer BDP-160/170 and 180). I believe the chip in the 83 is of an older generation.