IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Any thoughts as to whether this puts particular stress on the Oppo's transport? Or no more than playing a disc for th c.20 mins involved?

There is no particular stress wrt reading a disc for 20 mins, and I am not even sure that it is reading at a particular speed, I would say at around 3x. I would also conjecture that it reads a SACD at that speed anyway to recover gracefully from any read error (disc reading must be bit perfect because of the use of compression)

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Does anyone know if the Pioneer BDP-170k works? I don't know if the chip in the k-version is different from the regular 170 model.

I'm so excited right now because I've found this thread today and I still can't believe it that I finally can rip my SACD-Collection.

Thank you very much!

Greetings, cry303

FiiO X5 II | Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro | Yamaha HS8 | PreSonus AudioBox USB | Pioneer BDP-170 | DIY 24 Steps Attenuator

Huge thanks for the link! It all worked perfectly, with no need to to Telnet as in the first post above.

I've already done 20 discs and imported most of them into Roon. About another 100 to go.

Again huge thanks to all involved including of course ted_b for publicising.

Guest winopener
Does anyone know if the Pioneer BDP-170k works? I don't know if the chip in the k-version is different from the regular 170 model.

ending K = black, S = silver, W = white. That's only the color. The machinery inside any 170 is identical and rips ok.

ending K = black, S = silver, W = white. That's only the color. The machinery inside any 170 is identical and rips ok.
& @johnbshk

Well ... I guess I failed hard. Anyway thank you both for the reply and the information!

FiiO X5 II | Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro | Yamaha HS8 | PreSonus AudioBox USB | Pioneer BDP-170 | DIY 24 Steps Attenuator

I purchased an Oppo 103 yesterday and am getting ready to run this procedure. I’m going to put the sacd_extract folder on the root of my D drive. If this works is the SACD.ISO (or whatever the file name for the ISO is) placed on the root of the D drive, or in the sacd_extract folder I’m running the sacd_extract program from?

Also, I’m assuming you just double click the program, you don’t need to run it from the command line, correct?

I purchased an Oppo 103 yesterday and am getting ready to run this procedure. I’m going to put the sacd_extract folder on the root of my D drive. If this works is the SACD.ISO (or whatever the file name for the ISO is) placed on the root of the D drive, or in the sacd_extract folder I’m running the sacd_extract program from?

Also, I’m assuming you just double click the program, you don’t need to run it from the command line, correct?

It is necessary to include the type of extraction and the server's address and Port from the command line, since double clicking does not add this vital information.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

It is necessary to include the type of extraction and the server's address and Port from the command line, since double clicking does not add this vital information.

My bad, one of the early posts states:

Close the tray with an SACD. Wait until the player recognizes the disc. Run sacd.cmd on your PC. The ripping process should start within few seconds.

So you need to run sacd.cmd that has the parameters.

Burned my first SACD ICO no problems and working on the second. Using my new Oppo 103 over a wired network, getting speed around 2mb/sec.

Thanks to the authors of this process and all the other contributors on this thread. Going to take a while to create copies of all the discs I own, but at least I can do it now and the Oppo provides some things I wanted that my Oppo 95 didn't.

If you see a suitable cheap Pioneer (BDP-160, 170 or 88FD) at a reasonable price, grab it, because these players are now getting very rare.

My first order of an Amazon Warehouse Deal BDP-170 ended up in getting a dead machine. A german store which is listed in all the shopping engines as the only store being able to offer a brand new player turned out to have none, after my enquiry (they can only get customer returns). There is none on Ebay.de right now.

I now ordered another second hand hand BDP-170 -close to list price - and hope it will be fine. I will also get an Oppo 103, but I want to use that for video and music playback as well, so I would like to update the firmware if necessary, which at some point could stop SACD ripping functions.

Claude

If you see a suitable cheap Pioneer (BDP-160, 170 or 88FD) at a reasonable price, grab it, because these players are now getting very rare.

My first order of an Amazon Warehouse Deal BDP-170 ended up in getting a dead machine. A german store which is listed in all the shopping engines as the only store being able to offer a brand new player turned out to have none, after my enquiry (they can only get customer returns). There is none on Ebay.de right now.

I now ordered another second hand hand BDP-170 -close to list price - and hope it will be fine. I will also get an Oppo 103, but I want to use that for video and music playback as well, so I would like to update the firmware if necessary, which at some point could stop SACD ripping functions.

The Cambridge Audio players are new on Amazon.de but are new and sell for Eur1000 , the Pioneer are a bargain.

First off, thanks again Ted for your efforts in making this a viable option for so many of us!

A simple set of instructions for Mac users:

1. Download Ted’s Dropbox ZIP file from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8cunli3d3...2EwCCBhya?dl=0. UnZIP, and discard the “SACD Extract” folder.
  2. Copy the Autoscript folder to the root level of an DOS/FAT32-formatted USB stick. (Other files can be on the stick - it doesn’t need to be blank)
  3. Download and install Oracle Java 8 SE Development kit for Mac from Java SE Development Kit 8 - Downloads. Macs running El Capitan 10.11 may need to disable System Integrity Protection (SIP), do the install, and then re-enable SIP: How to Disable System Integrity Protection (rootless) in OS X El Capitan | OSXDaily
  4. Download the Sonore ISO2DSD Java app joker linked to. Here’s a different link to it: Sonore ISO2DSD – V.A.M.P.
  5. UnZIP the Sonore download and move the folder into your Applications folder (or wherever you want it). Be sure to keep the .jar file and the "sacd extract" file together in the same folder, wherever you decide to put them.
  6. Power on Oppo, ensure it’s connected to your network via ethernet or wi-fi.
  7. Disable Auto-play and Auto-resume in Oppo settings.
  8. Use Oppo Remote iOS app (or whatever method you like) to find your player’s IP address on your network.
  9. Insert USB stick into any of the Oppo’s USB ports. Disk drawer will open almost immediately.
  10. Insert SACD of your choosing, close drawer with open/close button (NOT with Play button).
  11. On your Mac, launch the .jar file inside the Sonore ISO2DSD folder.
  12. In ISO2DSD window, select “from server” radio button at the top, then enter Oppo’s IP address from step 8.
  13. On righthand side of ISO2DSD window, select “raw ISO” under “output format.”
  14. Press Execute button. Ripping will start in about 10 seconds and progress bar will show.

Received my new OPPO 105D Multizone Multiregion today (Manufactured March 2016), FW 10XEU-80-1031. Thanks to tmtomh for providing the best instruction for the use in combination with a Mac on this forum. I was already using Java enabled Sonore ISO2DSD for my PS3 rips and was puzzled why I could not get the OPPO to connect. Two things went wrong before; 1) one should use a small size USB for step 2; and 2) observe step 13 ... Via the Wifi module the rip-speed averages 1.56 MB/sec; via a direct cable connection to the Mac, it goes up to an average of 1.99 MB/sec, curiously progressively increasing with a peak at 2.48 MB/sec. towards the end.

The clarification that needs to be inserted in here is how to set a direct ethernet connection between mac & oppo, as distinct from via router.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

The clarification that needs to be inserted in here is how to set a direct ethernet connection between mac & oppo, as distinct from via router.

This is straightforward but the choices are limitless.

Equipment : <100m of CAT5/6/7 Straight Ethernet cable

Connect the player to the MAC with the Ethernet cable.

Determine the IP address of the Blu-ray Player and subnet mask. The gateway setting is not required.

Example : IP address of the player is 192.168.0.43, subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Open MAC , Systems Preferences/Network

Click the ETHERNET in the list of interfaces. Set the IP address of the MAC to be anything other than the IP address of the Blu-Ray Player. In the above example, the MAC's IP address can be 192.168.0.44 Subnet Mask (MUST BE) 255.255.255.0. Gateway can be blank.

OK to everything.

On MAC Open Terminal in Apps | utilities. Type ping 192.168.0.43 and ENTER

You should see replies with times in ms for the round trip to the BD player.

This is a permanent solution. Neither the player or the MAC can access the Internet using the Ethernet interface in the current guise. To use the Ethernet interface on the MAC, set the Ethernet interface to DHCP and connect to the router system.

You can connect the MAC to the wireless interface at the same time as the Ethernet connection to be on the internet. The last bit might be guess, since Windows operates that way, it depends how strict the machines are setup.

I just tested putting a 1.7GB SACD ISO file into a ZIP file with "maximum" compression in 7ZIP (second highest compression level), the size was reduced to 1.1GB. So it's worth trying.

If you must stick to FAT32, and you can't compress a file below 4GB, you could pack the ISO into a multi-volume archive, for example in 1GB parts.

Useful information about multi-volume archives

Claude