IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I have a few things. First, I noticed that once I moved the converted files into JRiver Media Center they are showing up as 5.6 MHz dff files. Is there any way to convert 5.6 MHz dff files into 2.8 MHz simply, so that they will be recognized by my FiiO X5? The X5 doesn't do 5.6 MHz.
Just tell JRMC to output all DSD as 2.8.

Also is there a way with the Sonore software to convert to dsf instead of dff, for tagging and meta data purposes of course.
Yes. Just click the DSF box instead of the DFF box.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Just tell JRMC to output all DSD as 2.8.

Yes. Just click the DSF box instead of the DFF box.

Thanks Cal. Not sure how to do that with JRiver, but I'll explore and should be able to figure it out. This is for transferring the files to a SD card for playback on my portable not for playback through JRiver.

I opened the appropriate drop down menu in Sonore, but I don't remember seeing a dsf option. I will look again.

Thanks

Thanks Cal. Not sure how to do that with JRiver, but I'll explore and should be able to figure it out. This is for transferring the files to a SD card for playback on my portable not for playback through JRiver.
OH. Do not use JRMC to do that as it will use a PCM intermediary for the downsampling.

I opened the appropriate drop down menu in Sonore, but I don't remember seeing a dsf option. I will look again.

Screenshot-2015-10-04-01.07.26.png

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Been watching this development from the start. I am fortunate to have a PS3 configured to run SACD_Ripper, and that it has performed for me very well for several years now. But it does, as others note, run hot, and at some point, all that disc spinning will take its toll. I set up the files on a small 1gb thumb drive, and the ISO2DSD plus Java on my Mac [running beta of OS X Sierra 10.12.1], all on wired Ethernet. No surprise that the setup does not run a whole lot faster than on the OS3. Actually, it ism a surprise, inasmuch as it is running over the network. Although, I do have to run back and forth to my Oppo, which is downstairs, and I do choose to do a 2-step conversion process using ISO2DSD, so as to lessen spinning wear on the Oppo, this allows me to manage the process more centrally from the Mac on which I do all my file management. Very, very sweet.

P.S. I did a check of a few SACDs I had previously ripped on the PS3—identical files. And after the second step in the process, identical file names. Metadatics does the rest of the lifting.

And FWIW, I intentionally updated my 105 to the latest firmware before starting, to see if there would be any problem. Obviously, none.

All the toys are in my profile.

Thanks to Ted, grill, Kal and others! I read about this last week and then attempted to begin extracting on Sunday. After some trial and error using a MacBook, Windows 10 running on Fusion on the MacBook, and a Windows 10 desktop, I was able to start ripping. (The Mac version of ISO2DSD program wouldn't extract and the command line worked for only 1 file on the Win 10 running on Fusion.)

I'm extracting from an Oppo 105D running the latest firmware (which was updated a few days before I came across the post last week...sweated out a few days thinking perhaps the new firmware closed the ability to rip my SACDs!). Oppo connected by Ethernet cable as is the Win10 desktop. Disabled auto run and auto resume on the Oppo. Speed ranges from high 1MB/sec to low 3MB/sec, with average in mid to high 2MB/sec. No problems with hybrid SACDs...the Oppo recognizes the SACD layer automatically.

Did a test run with 1 SACD to convert to .dsf. Fixed a few metadata issues using Yate. Copied files from Windows desktop to NAS. Played nicely using Aries feeding into NAD M51 DAC. Only issue is buffering issues on Aries. Not an issue with extract b/c I also get buffering on a purchased .dsf album. I think the new 4.0 firmware is the cause...the .dsf file played without glitches prior to the firmware update (will be sending report to Aurelic).

Great to know that my SACDs can be backed up and I can convert and play with other albums using Aries. Will spend this weekend buying more SACDs!

QNAP TS-251-->Netgear GS116 Switch--->Asus router--->wireless to Aurelic Aries--->USB to NAD M51--->Bryston B135--->Thiel CS 2.7 speakers

For those who have a Pioneer BDP-170 (or similar model): How noisy is your player when spinning SACDs?

I have the impression that mine got noisier since I used it for the first time. It's a constant high pitched hum. I wouldn't be able to listen to music with that noise in the background.

I moved to player to my spare bedroom next to my router because of that (it is only connected to a network cable, as I only use it for ripping SACDs). I also placed a heavy book onto the player to stop the enclosure from vibrating, but it made little difference.

Claude

For those who have a Pioneer BDP-170 (or similar model): How noisy is your player when spinning SACDs?

I have the impression that mine got noisier since I used it for the first time. It's a constant high pitched hum. I wouldn't be able to listen to music with that noise in the background.

I moved to player to my spare bedroom next to my router because of that (it is only connected to a network cable, as I only use it for ripping SACDs). I also placed a heavy book onto the player to stop the enclosure from vibrating, but it made little difference.

Mine is dead quiet :-)

Ted thanks for this great convenience. Portable SACD recordings is part of the way things are now so having the DSF files available on mobile media is great (laptops with JRiver for me as well as iPhone 5S with Onkyo HF and OPPO HA-2).

I have been answering some questions for friends via email so that I'd post a few things I'm sure appear on these pages already but just to try to keep it in one place...

The ISO2DSD is not required. It is a convenient GUI to launch the sacd_extract catcher on the client (PC/Mac) side but this can also be done directly with the sacd.cmd file from a DOS CMD box or Mac Terminal. If you want to extract using the sacd.cmd file directly from a command box, edit it to include the -s argument instead of the -I. This outputs DSF instead of ISO.

Another thing this Java GUI does that is convenient is extract the DSF files from a single ISO file (for those who captured originally to ISO but want to play or backup as single DSF track files). I was not able to read the ISO files directly from other tools I usually use for that purpose.

ISO files play directly from JRiver if desired, similar to Foobar. So that's convenient and they can be opened as a Media file (I'm using Rev 20). This single ISO file will then present the included stereo as well as Mch files, if they existed on the SACD.

Yes.. be sure to disable Auto Play and Resume from the Audio setup on the OPPO first. It can hang the OPPO otherwise if you try to start extracting while playing a disc at the same time. If the OPPO hangs just press and hold the power button for 5 seconds or more until it shuts off the OPPO.

I'd advise using a fresh clean USB stick to launch the AutoScript folder on the OPPO side. I used one with a few other files on it and found later that Win 10 could no longer read the USB at all. OPPO still reads it fine.

---------------

One question I had for those involved here or anyone else is might it be possible to run both the server and client apps from the same USB media/drive and simply offload the ISO/DSF files directly to an SSD or other USB storage media directly from the OPPO? I haven't tried this yet but am guessing it might be possible.

My standard use is to extract an SACD to an Artist-Album folder as DSF files, then move that from the receiving notebook PC to a connected SSD drive. Would be simpler to just attach the SSD drive to the OPPO and run AutoScript from their if the client thread could be running as well.

Again many many thanks for this great convenience and utility.

My biggest job was to rip the entire Bach Cantata Suzuki Box set (55 Sacd's)

I did it in two part :

1) ripping all of them to ISO (no other way than manually)

2) launching the following Batch file from my Mac, which ran overnight, to create the dsf files

#!/bin/sh

# Note : This file is to be placed in the folder where you want the output

# BASEDIR Is the place where all iso files are, it can be related to where is the output

# They can be in many sub directories

# SacdCmd is the place where the application is located

BASEDIR="../ISO"

SacdCmd="/Applications/iso2dsd_OSX_v6/sacd_extract -2 -s -c -P -i"

find $BASEDIR -type f -name "*.iso" -exec $SacdCmd {} \;

I've ripped an SACD to an ISO and created separate DSF files for each track. All metadata is there, and I've embedded the cover art in each file using MP3Tag. However, when I play the files in Foobar2000 on my PC, or on my Oppo 103 via usb stick, the files play fine, and show metadata, but do not show the cover art. I've also tried placing the cover art .jpg file in the same folder as the DSF files, but no luck. Any way to fix this? Thanks.

Mike

I've ripped an SACD to an ISO and created separate DSF files for each track. All metadata is there, and I've embedded the cover art in each file using MP3Tag. However, when I play the files in Foobar2000 on my PC, or on my Oppo 103 via usb stick, the files play fine, and show metadata, but do not show the cover art. I've also tried placing the cover art .jpg file in the same folder as the DSF files, but no luck. Any way to fix this? Thanks.

Mike

I don't know how the OPPO handles this, but Foobar will usually look for a file called "Cover.jpg".

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

I had bought one in Australia (BDP105AU) which would not accept the update once I arrived in Paris. Would detect my IP address and say it is incompatible.

You should be able to download the AU update from Oppo's support website, then copy to and install from a USB stick.

- JediJoker

You should be able to download the AU update from Oppo's support website, then copy to and install from a USB stick.

That's correct, as Oppo firmware updates need to come from the region the player was originally purchased in. There are minor differences in the firmware, primarily the DVD / Bluray region locks and the mix of apps (Netflix, etc.) that gets included.

Mike

I've confirmed that cover art isn't displaying for dsf or dff files via SMB (which should work the same as USB storage) and inquired about this via beta tester channels and will let you know if I get any info back. But it's probably best to move this to a different thread as it's kind of off topic for this thread.

All you need to know to rip SACD's using Pioneer players BDP160 and BDP170. Other players could be similar. (only qualifying players, see post #1) I struggled a bit so hope this helps some others.

Start to finish instructions for PC users to extract the iso only. (Adapted from various posts, thanks to all concerned.)

1. Optional: Get latest version sacd extract file, sacd_extract.exe 0.3.8 here https://github.com/sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper/releases and replace the one in the folder with the latest one, see below.

1a. Optional:download the user manual, google for it. reset to factory settings and complete the first use wizard.

2. Optional: update the firmware. google for it. Instructions in manual and below.

Using the player's remote control:

Press the STANDBY/ON button to switch the unit on.

If the player starts to play a disc, press the STOP button and wait until the Pioneer logo is displayed on your TV.

Press the Home Menu button to display the HOME MENU.

Select Initial Setup and press the ENTER button.

Select Options and press the ENTER button.

Select System information and press the ENTER button.

Select Next Screen and press the ENTER button

The firmware version of your player will be displayed on the TV screen.

3. Must do. Turn 'disc auto play' off and 'Last Memory' (called resume on some players) off. In initial setup/options see manual.

You will find the only 2 needed folders here thanks to ted_b and Maldur:

4. AutoScript and sacd_extract, if these 2 folders are within other folders you must only use the folders named AutoScript and sacd_extract.

Place these 2 named folders directly where instructed below.

post 26

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true-29251/index2.html

or

post #48

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true-29251/index2.html

Unzip all downloaded folders.

5. Connect your pioneer player BDP160 LAN socket to your modem LAN socket. According to the player's manual.

Write down the IP address of your player. Find how to find it in the manual or find it in your modem's settings.

Check if you see your player is showing in Windows/Network/Media Devices of your PC (connected to the same LAN).

Disconnect from the player all USB devices.

6. Folder AutoScript contains the files to rip original SACD discs.

Copy only the (unzipped) AutoScript folder to the root of a USB stick formatted Fat32.

Safest to use an empty usb stick but you can leave your other files on your stick.

7. Folder sacd_extract contains the files to execute (start) the ripping. Files inside the folder are: sacd_extract.exe and a file sacd.cmd

You should put this folder on a drive or partition with enough space to create the .iso image.

Best to put it directly on the C drive then you are very unlikely to have problems with long filenames which originate from the iso.

The PC must be on the same network as the player

Edit the sacd.cmd file with Notepad or another editor to change the IP address which exists in the file to that IP address of your player you noted at step 5.

8. Restart the player with no discs in it.

9. Insert prepared USB stick into the player.

The tray will automatically open ie slide out.

10. Remove USB stick from your player or can leave it in to the end of ripping.

Put sacd disc in tray.

Press the close button.

Wait until the disc is recognized by the player. You will see SACD in the players window.

11. Inside the Folder sacd_extract on the Windows C drive (or wherever else you placed it) run/open the sacd.cmd file and the ripping process should start.

To rip another SACD make sure that the rip has finished, the CMD window on your computer will have auto closed when it is finished.

Eject the tray with previous disc and put in the next disc and repeat this step 11.

When finished First remove USB stick and turn off player and power ie reboot the player to return it to normal player use.

Ignore anything you may see in this thread to do with Telnet it is now an option not required.

Out of interest these are the commands that can used in the sacd.cmd file. Can be used to extracct DFF, DSF and DST but there are other methods given in this thread (must use the exact case as given, upper or lower.):

Usage: sacd_extract [options] [outfile]

-2, --2ch-tracks : Export two channel tracks (default)

-m, --mch-tracks : Export multi-channel tracks

-e, --output-dsdiff-em : output as Philips DSDIFF (Edit Master) file

-p, --output-dsdiff : output as Philips DSDIFF file

-s, --output-dsf : output as Sony DSF file

-I, --output-iso : output as RAW ISO

-c, --convert-dst : convert DST to DSD

-C, --export-cue : Export a CUE Sheet

-i, --input[=FILE] : set source and determine if "iso" image,

device or server (ex. -i192.168.1.10:2002)

-P, --print : display disc and track information

Help options:

-?, --help : Show this help message

--usage : Display brief usage message

I have an Oppo 105D, and at first I followed everything, from all the instruction and I could not make the Oppo respond. I low lever format and high level format my USB stick to fat32. My stick is a 4GB one. Place the the Autoscript folder in it with the three files, turn on my Oppo, then insert the USB stick in front of the player and nothing happens. I tried a few times with different stick and still nothing happens. Then I realized that the player would not boot from the USB stick, and so what I did is make the stick BOOTABLE. I search the net on how to do it, then placed the Autoscript folder on the root with all the boot files in it. So I tried it again on my Oppo, and lo and behold, the tray opens up, went over to my PC, run the .CMD file with the correct ip address and it works like a charm.

I have been reading this thread and I dont see anybody mentioning that the USB stick HAS to be bootable inorder for the player to boot from it. Now I am not sure if my observation is correct, but it works for me. Hope this post is useful.