IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I have an oppo 103 and an iMac. They are both on my wireless network. I can see the oppo on lanscan. The 2002 port is not open but the 2870 port is open. The oppo drawer opens with the usb stick inserted. When I try to rip nothing happens. On port 2002 I get connection refused. Any ideas?

Dan

OK, here is the link to my dropbox folder called SACD. Inside it are the two folders:

* Autoscript for empty root drive of USB stick, and

* SACD Extract for the two files that go on the pc folder, a command file that needs editing (notepad, etc) once you know your players IP address, and the sacd_extract.exe file.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8cunli3d3basmix/AAAY2mPDW9QH_so52EwCCBhya?dl=0

Summary: you should copy Autoscript folder with 2 files inside to a clean USB stick, power on the player, wait until it boots and connect the prepared USB stick. When scrolling text ABCDEFGHIJK will appear on the display – you can connect to the player over telnet. Use ‘root’ login and press enter. Type ‘uname -a’ and press enter. If you see ‘Linux mtk85xx 2.6.35‘ then it’s your lucky day and the sacd_extract daemon should work at your player. Type sacd.cmd (remember to edit with proper IP address) and ripping should begin.

Putty details: start putty, check Telnet as connection type, in Host name type IP of your blu-ray player and press Open button.and it will look like this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27839[/ATTACH]

If telnet server is started on player side – you will see a login window (this is an 8560 example but Chinese programmer typo'd 8530).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27840[/ATTACH]

Type ‘root’ and press Enter

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27841[/ATTACH]

If you get 2.6.35 then you are in.

I will have more info later.

Note: I do not have any of these players so I can't personally test. I will ask Grill to get on, as he has successfully done an Oppo (I think, maybe it's a Pio).

PLEASE report back, especially a successful rip. I will act as go-between for the silent folks behind the scene who actually discovered and created this stuff.

I spent all evening with the bits of info available, trying to get my Oppos 105D to rip an SACD in my Windows based envirionment, and after digging in found it helpful to understand just what is going on and is supposed to happen:

1. One of the dropbox links results in a set of files which automatically loads a program after the memory stick is inserted in the Oppo USB slot. You have this image if the drawer opens. There will be no telnet connection support and it isn't needed or desired to rip a disk.

2. The other dropbox link results in a set of files which will execute, on the Oppo, instructions which activate support for making a telnet connection. You really don't want this version if all you want to do is rip your disks. This version allows you to interactively access the Oppo's Linux file system and to then manually invoke the utility which will place the Oppo into a state making it ready to accept commands to rip a disk.

3. Neither set of files actually causes a rip to occur. Once the stick drive is inserted into the USB slot and the drawer opens or you've manually invoked the supporting program using a subsequent telnet connection, the Oppo is simply ready to rip a file.

4. The ripped data will not be placed on the memory stick. It will be generated in the file location on your computer that you stored and subsequently, ran, the following utility:

5. Sonore ISO2DSF is a utility you can download for your PC. Once stored on your computer's hard drive you can launch it and initiate a ripping operation from the Oppo. The resulting ripped data will appear in the same file location as the Sonore program. For this reason, I stored the Sonore utility in a convenient location on may NAS server so that movement of the ripped data would be efficient. Simply do a Google search to locate it.

6. Once you have the Oppo initialized and the Sonore ISO2DSF utility is launched, you'll specify the "Server Input" option and your Oppos IP address in the "Server Information" panel. Use the Java program: iso2dsd_gui.jar to launch it, not the iso2dsd_gui.exe

7. You can specify the output mode as "Raw ISO" or directly generate your DSD files as "Sony DSF". I preferred the latter since it provided a directory with stereo or multi-channel set of DSD files which I could then move to the desired location.

In summary, the USB memory stick can be very small since it only hosts the code needed to initialize the Oppo. You need the Sonore ISO2USB program to actually rip the data to your computer/server.

I spent all evening with the bits of info available, trying to get my Oppos 105D to rip an SACD in my Windows based envirionment, and after digging in found it helpful to understand just what is going on and is supposed to happen:

1. One of the dropbox links results in a set of files which automatically loads a program after the memory stick is inserted in the Oppo USB slot. You have this image if the drawer opens. There will be no telnet connection support and it isn't needed or desired to rip a disk.

2. The other dropbox link results in a set of files which will execute, on the Oppo, instructions which activate support for making a telnet connection. You really don't want this version if all you want to do is rip your disks. This version allows you to interactively access the Oppo's Linux file system and to then manually invoke the utility which will place the Oppo into a state making it ready to accept commands to rip a disk.

3. Neither set of files actually causes a rip to occur. Once the stick drive is inserted into the USB slot and the drawer opens or you've manually invoked the supporting program using a subsequent telnet connection, the Oppo is simply ready to rip a file.

4. The ripped data will not be placed on the memory stick. It will be generated in the file location on your computer that you stored and subsequently, ran, the following utility:

5. Sonore ISO2DSF is a utility you can download for your PC. Once stored on your computer's hard drive you can launch it and initiate a ripping operation from the Oppo. The resulting ripped data will appear in the same file location as the Sonore program. For this reason, I stored the Sonore utility in a convenient location on may NAS server so that movement of the ripped data would be efficient. Simply do a Google search to locate it.

6. Once you have the Oppo initialized and the Sonore ISO2DSF utility is launched, you'll specify the "Server Input" option and your Oppos IP address in the "Server Information" panel. Use the Java program: iso2dsd_gui.jar to launch it, not the iso2dsd_gui.exe

7. You can specify the output mode as "Raw ISO" or directly generate your DSD files as "Sony DSF". I preferred the latter since it provided a directory with stereo or multi-channel set of DSD files which I could then move to the desired location.

In summary, the USB memory stick can be very small since it only hosts the code needed to initialize the Oppo. You need the Sonore ISO2USB program to actually rip the data to your computer/server.

I read all posts and am confused. Please advise which is the correct set of files for thumb drive, see attached. Is thumb drive formatted fat 32? Do I put files on thumb drive individually or the whole folder?

If I want the iso on the c drive where do I execute and what do I execute. I only want to get the iso I never convert to dsd/dff but use Foobar to play from the iso. Thanks.

Capture 1.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Please advise which is the correct set of files for thumb drive, see attached. Is thumb drive formatted fat 32? Do I put files on thumb drive individually or the whole folder?

If I want the iso on the c drive where do I execute and what do I execute. I only want to get the iso I never convert to dsd/dff but use Foobar to play from the iso. Thanks.[/ATTACH]

AutoScript folder goes on FAT32 thumb drive.

Execute .cmd file from C drive. (Be sure to edit file so correct IP address appears.)

I use this version of sacd_extract to get the ISO to foobar with no conversion:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacd-extract-gui/

This link was given to us in post 793 by grill. (Bonus: this .net version does not require Java.)

AutoScript folder goes on FAT32 thumb drive.

Execute .cmd file from C drive. (Be sure to edit file so correct IP address appears.)

I use this version of sacd_extract to get the ISO to foobar with no conversion:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacd-extract-gui/

This link was given to us in post 793 by grill. (Bonus: this .net version does not require Java.)

What does ISO to foobar mean? Are you trying to make this more confusing than it actually is?

I finally got it to work. I am on a mac and am connecting over wireless. I redid the thumb drive even though it was opening the oppo drawer. I put the isoqodsd application with the java guide in my user applications instead of the higher level application folder. Started the oppo put in a sacd and changed to multi and hit execute and everything just worked. Ive ripped 4 discs so far. Go figure!

Dan

He means he just keeps the ISO, which can be played back directly by Foobar2000 (with the SACD plugin), without any conversion.

Thanks. That does look like a nice gui if you don't like java. I need java for a tivo app so I will most likely keep the ISO2DSD gui.

so my former boss who also has quite a large sacd collection sent me this, any ideas

Musicaphon M56886, Mozart, Haydn Fruhe Werke

PentaTone PTC 5186 503, Bruch/Korngold violin ctos, Steinbacher

EMI Classics 5099 9 55978 2 9, Beethoven triple cto/Brahms double cto

Chandos CHSA 5123, Szymanowski Stabat Mater

PentaTone PTC 5186 510, Prokofiev/Khachachurian piano ctos., Arghamanyan

PentaTone PTC 5186 212, Berlioz, Damnation of Faust

PentaTone PTC 5186 557, Russian Dances

PentaTone PTC 5186 227, LaSalle Qt., Schubert/Schumann

Chandos CHSA 5167, Tchaikovsky/Khachachurian piano ctos., Wang

The software reads the disc and the information on it, opens a folder and then immediately says “we are done” without writing any files to the folder. Raw ISO rip works fine, but I can’t rip dff files from the ISO file either. Most of these are newer discs (all of the PentaTone problem discs – although some are from old recordings – both Chandos are new), but the EMI Classics and Musicaphon are discs a few years old.

I may have one or more of these titles myself, have not looked yet, and he has not tried dsf output instead.

Any ideas?

so my former boss who also has quite a large sacd collection sent me this, any ideas

The software reads the disc and the information on it, opens a folder and then immediately says “we are done” without writing any files to the folder. Raw ISO rip works fine, but I can’t rip dff files from the ISO file either. Most of these are newer discs (all of the PentaTone problem discs – although some are from old recordings – both Chandos are new), but the EMI Classics and Musicaphon are discs a few years old.

I may have one or more of these titles myself, have not looked yet, and he has not tried dsf output instead.

Any ideas?

Check the dst option?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I have a similar SACD.

Praga Digitals, Mozart, Trio "Kegelsattt" and Quintet K 581.

Both PS3 and Pioneer 170 recognise tracks and content, then it stops without ripping anything.

Not even the ISO.

But if I try to rip directly to the DSF files, I get "errno: 22, Invalid argument", more precisely

[0]: error creating Pascal MORAGU?S, Vladimir MENDELSSOHN, Frank BRALEY, PRAZ?K - Wolfgang Amadeus MOZART, Kegelstatt-Trio K 498 - Clarinet/01 - PRAZ?K QUARTET - Trio K 498 = First Movement - Andante.dsf, errno: 22, Invalid argument

Roberto

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Not sure what question you're really asking?

Looking at your list, I know for sure I have the Bruch/Korngold Pentatone. I might have a couple more.

I know I was able to successfully rip all the way to DSF files, using my Oppo 105D.

I always do it in 2 (or 3) steps, using the iso_2_dsd_v7 GUI unless otherwise indicated.

1. Extract ISO file: options on iso2dsd:

1. Server input
    2. Raw ISO output
    3. other flags irrelevant

[*]Extract DSF from ISO:

1. file input - select the ISO file
      2. Sony DSF output
      3. stereo (or multi) - each is a separate extraction
      4. check the DST flag

[*]Sometimes - the above fails due to long filenames. In those cases, I use Bogi's ISO2DSF tool.

I can't remember now if the Bruch/Korngold required 2 or 3, but either way, I got the end result.

But if I try to rip directly to the DSF files, I get "errno: 22, Invalid argument", more precisely

[0]: error creating Pascal MORAGU?S, Vladimir MENDELSSOHN, Frank BRALEY, PRAZ?K - Wolfgang Amadeus MOZART, Kegelstatt-Trio K 498 - Clarinet/01 - PRAZ?K QUARTET - Trio K 498 = First Movement - Andante.dsf, errno: 22, Invalid argument

Most likely there are some characters in use, which can't be interpreted by the ripper (at least the question-marks make me think thats the case here).

With the PS3, one could try using an older ripper build, and it will work.

Don't know if this would be usable with the SACD players too.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Most likely there are some characters in use, which can't be interpreted by the ripper (at least the question-marks make me think thats the case here).

With the PS3, one could try using an older ripper build, and it will work.

Don't know if this would be usable with the SACD players too.

I actually decided to do something different (for me) today.

Until now I never ripped in server/client mode expect for a couple of experiments, but then always on the device - to a disk connected to the PS3 or to the Pioneer BDP-170 - since I kept these devices always connected wirelessly and this led to very slow ripping speeds. This morning I decided to reconfigure the BDP-170 to use wired ethernet, and connected it to a small D-link switch which is also connected to the Raspberry PI and my laptop. I used the server/client mode.

This worked. My computer is a mac and HFS supports very long file names.

I guess it was either the strange characters or the particular versions of sacd_extract (the version I have on my MacBook Pro has been compiled by me with newer string manipulation libraries).

So I guess that I was just lazy :)

Roberto

Been watching this development from the start. I am fortunate to have a PS3 configured to run SACD_Ripper, and that it has performed for me very well for several years now. But it does, as others note, run hot, and at some point, all that disc spinning will take its toll. I set up the files on a small 1gb thumb drive, and the ISO2DSD plus Java on my Mac [running beta of OS X Sierra 10.12.1], all on wired Ethernet. No surprise that the setup does not run a whole lot faster than on the OS3. Actually, it ism a surprise, inasmuch as it is running over the network. Although, I do have to run back and forth to my Oppo, which is downstairs, and I do choose to do a 2-step conversion process using ISO2DSD, so as to lessen spinning wear on the Oppo, this allows me to manage the process more centrally from the Mac on which I do all my file management. Very, very sweet.

P.S. I did a check of a few SACDs I had previously ripped on the PS3—identical files. And after the second step in the process, identical file names. Metadatics does the rest of the lifting.

All the toys are in my profile.

I have a few things. First, I noticed that once I moved the converted files into JRiver Media Center they are showing up as 5.6 MHz dff files. Is there any way to convert 5.6 MHz dff files into 2.8 MHz simply, so that they will be recognized by my FiiO X5? The X5 doesn't do 5.6 MHz. Also is there a way with the Sonore software to convert to dsf instead of dff, for tagging and meta data purposes of course.

Lastly, most of my SACD'S have been ripped in about fifteen to twenty minutes, with the MB/sec gradually increasing as the rip progresses. However with one disc, so far, Miles David's Kind of Blue the ripping process has taken well over an hour with the MB/sec continuously decreasing as the rip progresses. Has anyone else encountered this, with this title or any other?

However with one disc, so far, Miles David's Kind of Blue the ripping process has taken well over an hour with the MB/sec continuously decreasing as the rip progresses. Has anyone else encountered this, with this title or any other?

I have ripped more than 100 SACDs so far, and only two have been slow (around 1MB/s).

"Kind of Blue" (the first US release) was one of them.

Claude