IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Hi all -

Many thanks to everyone for acomplishing this! I am having great results ripping SACDs using my Oppo 103.

I also have a Marantz UD5007 which I decided to check to see if it would work. I could not find any documentation on the internet to determine if it uses the Mediatek chip.

I followed the same procedure as I used with the Oppo. However, with the Marantz UD5007 I only progressed as far as inserting the USB. The drawer opened! However, when I tried to run the sacd, it would not connect. I also tried using the Sonore. I received the message:

libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.165 2002 for reading

I'm using a Windows10 laptop, which is on wi-fi, but the Marantz is on ethernet.

As a shot in the dark, I port forwarded the 2002 port to the Marantz. No luck.

I also tried running Sonore on my mac mini (etherenet) No luck there, either, same error.

I know that the IP address is correct. I can ping the Marantz (I can't telnet to it though. I couldn't telnet to the Oppo either, but the extraction works when using the Oppo.

Is there something that I am overlooking, or was the drawer opening on the Marantz just a red herring as it doesn't have the correct chipset to accomplish this?

Thanks for reading through this!

I still find the original SACD played as effortless, open and always likable, I prefer it over a file any day.

I'm a big fan of SACD so my expectation would be similar.

However, just compared the same SACD (Reiner CSO Pictures at an Exhibition etc) played via my Esoteric's disc transport vs. ripped and played via the Esoteric's USB DAC input.

Switching immediately from file to disc, it's readily apparent that the sound of the latter is flatter, harsher, less detailed (although in isolation I wouldn't characterise the Esoteric's SACD replay as such). The rip, by contrast, sounds cleaner, bigger, less fatiguing, more solid and 3D, with lots of texture and detail.

File replay is via a cheap fanless PC running Windows 10 and JRiver 22. No optimisation, fancy USB cards, isolators etc other than a HDPlex LPSU.

The Esoteric is a K07x, the bottom player in the lineup, so maybe the above is down to its (in Esoteric terms) comparatively less sophisticated optical transport.

Why not just use the mobile app to make the changes? A monitor is not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

My Pioneer player doesn't even have an app that I am aware of and I don't use a monitor connected to my player. However, initial setup, a monitor helps because of the auto play feature. Turning it off makes it simpler if your ripping a lot of discs. Most players defult to Lan out of the box so that isn't an issue. The ip of the player can be found via the pc.

First of all, a big thanks to Ted for making us aware of this new technique! (I had bought a PS3 but it was DOA and couldn't be fixed. I threw a lot of money away on nothing, and didn't have the courage to take further risks with that route.)

I just took delivery of a Pioneer BDP-170 (European model). Does anyone have any tips or warnings regarding this particular model?

I'm currently hunting for the right script in the thread, but if someone wants to shoot me a post number that would be simply wonderful.

See:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true-29251/index18.html#post569518

No problems so far ...

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

The Esoteric is a K07x, the bottom player in the lineup, so maybe the above is down to its (in Esoteric terms) comparatively less sophisticated optical transport.

Yes, since the data from the SACD is the same taken from the optical disc to a file, the playback chain is then the only difference. It's strange though, if I use the S/PDIF input on my SACD player, the SQ is not so great compared to playback through regular DAC. There's the extra USB-S/PDIF conversion, but that stage is just about transparent as you can get and the regular DAC uses an AES3 input.

Tried many a time to tweak the S/PDIF input on the SACD player including the Mutec and W4S remedy, but it's only suitable for lower fi sources, such as digital radio, so I'll leave it at that.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

But the transport is of extremely high quality nevertheless.

Does the Esoteric apply the same DAC filter settings to SACD and DSD input, or can different settings be applied? If the latter is the case, are the settings the same?

Claude

So is this what you mean by a mobile app, the one for the OPPO? When putting forward an idea, it's worth it not to be too general and vague people get the wrong idea. Do you work in IT?

That was a bit snarky at the end, but fair criticism of the vagueness of my post. As another poster later guessed correctly, I was indeed referring to a post about the Oppo-10X players. The iOS Media Control App is capable of doing all the poster needed once it discovers the Oppo on the home network. It is very stable. You may have experienced the other Oppo remote control app which isn't quite as functionally complete. Regardless, I was trying to help and fell short. But hopefully I didn't insult anyone in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

But the transport is of extremely high quality nevertheless.

Does the Esoteric apply the same DAC filter settings to SACD and DSD input, or can different settings be applied? If the latter is the case, are the settings the same?

Different settings can be applied to each input, but my comparison was for SACD vs ripped .dsf file. In both cases the DSD filter was enabled. (for DSD input the only option is filter on/off, much more choice for PCM input)

I gave this a try using my OPPO 105D

My results:

Formatted flash drive – completely clear

Copied 2 folders to it:

AutoScript (Folder containing 2 files)

Autoscript

Autoscript.TSS

Sacd_extract (Folder containing 2 files)

Sacd

Sacd extract

I modified the sacd file with current player IP: 192.168.1.11 -P –I as reported on the OPPO set up screen.

I powered up the player then inserted drive into the front USB: no action

Tried moving the 2 Autoscript files into the root on the flash drive (left 2 files in the Sacd-extract folder).

Same result.

Is the flash drive configured correctly?

Player is an OPPO 105D on a network connected to a Windows 10 file server

Firmware HAS BEEN UPGRADED To the latest version: BDP10x-83-0715.

If it’s essential to back that off to the original firmware I could contact OPPO for a disk. Takes 1-2 weeks

Please advise.

Once I do back it off and try again the instructions say I’ll see letters flowing across the display on the front of the player. As I understand the instructions I’m to connect to player over the network to key in responses. If I open a browser from a pc on the network and key in the IP address of the player I get an error that the device will not accept log in. Can you offer any direction?

My results:

Copied 2 folders to it:

Autoscript

Autoscript.TSS

Sacd

Sacd extract

I modified the sacd file with current player IP: 192.168.1.11 -P –I as reported on the OPPO set up screen.

Tried moving the 2 Autoscript files into the root on the flash drive (left 2 files in the Sacd-extract folder).

Same result.

If it’s essential to back that off to the original firmware I could contact OPPO for a disk. Takes 1-2 weeks

Please advise.

Once I do back it off and try again the instructions say I’ll see letters flowing across the display on the front of the player. As I understand the instructions I’m to connect to player over the network to key in responses. If I open a browser from a pc on the network and key in the IP address of the player I get an error that the device will not accept log in. Can you offer any direction?

I don't think it will cure your immediate problem, but the SACD extract folder should be copied to your PC or Mac etc, not to flash drive. You don't need to login via browser, just run the SACD script (where you inserted the IP address) file on your PC once the USB stick has been inserted, draw opens and SACD is loaded etc. Firmware shouldn't be the problem.

You could try another flash drive, or else delete existing partition(s) from one you tried and re-format. I have a 105 EU and it works perfectly, but I had to do the latter to get things working.

My results:

Copied 2 folders to it:

Autoscript

Autoscript.TSS

Sacd

Sacd extract

Same result.

Please advise.

The latest firmware version definitely isn't the problem as several of us have had no problems using it for this purpose. What file system did you format the flash drive with? FWIW, my flash drive is formatted with the exFAT file system and is a 64GB drive. The AutoScript files should be copied to a folder named "AutoScript" on the drive - in my case, there are 3 files in that folder:

AutoScript (1 KB, no extension)

AutoScript.TSS (1 KB)

sacd_extract (345 KB, no extension)

I suspect that missing the sacd_extract file in the AutoScript folder is the problem in your case.

I got a Pioneer BDP-170 today, an Amazon Warehouse Deal (customer return), supposed to only have minor optical flaws.

I would have preferred a new one, but it was the only such player available at a reasonable price (below list price). I meant to buy this one first, then maybe - after my first ripping experience - an Oppo later, so that I have two payers capable of SACD ripping (because we don't know if this possibility will ever come back with future players)

I actually didn't notice any optical flaws, but the player was dead on arrival. It won't turn on.

Great quality control by Amazon ...

So sorry to hear of this. Is it worth a shot to see inside if connectors have come adrift on the PCBs and to reseat them, cable unplugged of course. If the player has had several transportations during its short life, maybe something has worked its way loose.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Extraction still works flawlessly for me. Ignore the telnet part. Just plug the USB drive with the two files into the Oppo.

Copy the other two files (SACD extract exe and SACD cmd (edited with the IP address of the Oppo) ) to a folder on the PC.

Insert SACD in the Oppo. Double-click on SACD cmd and let it do its thing.

I was also able to fix the issue with some ISO's not extracting using iso2dsd. The cause was indeed the file name length. Moved iso2dsd to the root of C: and all is well. My entire SACD collection is now almost completely on my NAS...

I got a used Oppo BDP103 this week, and am now ripping my sacd collection too!

I did however have some problems at first, as the sacd-extract crashed at every connect attempt, since i didn't realize that i was using the wrong version of sacd-extract, the one for Pioneer 160/170 players.

Big thanks to everyone here!

the wrong version of sacd-extract, the one for Pioneer? I didn't realize there was a choice.

What is the command line in your file? Mine is: sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.14:9000 -P -I. I changed the ip address to sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.11 -P -I as the ip address that shows on the OPPO Setup screen.

When I execute the sacd_extract in a command line window the error is:

"libsacdread: can't stat 192.168.001.011 No such file or directory"

I know the oppo is on the network. I can actually play files on the server from the oppo by going to the network menu. everything's there.

Any suggestions?

I think I solved the issue. After reading through the first 6 screens of this post I came across the process for using Sonore ISO2DSD. When searching for my IP address is forced me to add :2002 at the end. It's ripping!!!

So I'll add that to the end of my IP address in the SACD file and try another.

Progress is a beautiful thing!

Yes, thanks USB DSD DACs or USB DSD DAC Headphone Amps

Also, now that I have 2 SACDs ripped I can't play them with FOOBAR 2002. They're in a format for burning to CD.

How should these files be converted?

If you use Foobar 2000, you don't need to convert them:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II