IGNORED

Gratuitous and Pointless Post Whoring - Red Herrings, and Vaguely Amusing Anecdotes

Many threads that start with a specific question or topic seem to go over the cliff into free fall as others have noted in another thread. It may happen when one or two readers have reached their limit of attention or want to deflect the conversation toward a topic that is more interesting to them. Or, some times it just happens. I sometimes post something useless, stupid, humorous or comments that are completely out of context as a diversion - to slow the conversation down.

That just contributes to the problem. Out of respect to people who have real things to say, I may just drop my little gems here, feel free to add your own.

Chris, if you think this is without merit or would rather not waste server space, please feel free to delete the thread, no hurt feelings here.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

Kumakuma's pic on post#4 was a keeper. But that thread lost traction quickly and didn't get kicked to the curb soon enough.

Which thread?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Who is the artist/group?

« In the final installment, "Home" consists of images from New York Times readers, who submitted personal pictures of their lives in high-rises from around the world. Montreal musician Patrick Watson wrote the music for the film. »

Try NPR's 84-min concert :

Or 14-min Tiny Desk :

Others...

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

aliens (no apostrophe).

Thanks. I will be here all day.

So we should come back tomorrow?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I still want to know more about the Red Whorings. Those damn aliens can get their own whores. Are red Whorings actually Martian Whores? And here I thought whores were from Venus and ......welll.........never mind?????????

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

« What is it that makes us human ? Is it that we love, that we fight ? That we laugh ? Cry ? Our curiosity ? The quest for discovery ?

Driven by these questions, filmmaker and artist Yann Arthus-Bertrand spent three years collecting real-life stories from 2,000 women and men in 60 countries. Working with a dedicated team of translators, journalists and cameramen, Yann captures deeply personal and emotional accounts of topics that unite us all ; struggles with poverty, war, homophobia, and the future of our planet mixed with moments of love and happiness. »

VOL.1 83min :

VOL.2 82min :

VOL.3 93min :

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Working with a dedicated team of translators' date=' journalists and cameramen, Yann captures deeply personal and emotional accounts of topics that unite us all ; struggles with poverty, war, homophobia, and the future of our planet mixed with moments of love and happiness.[/quote']

It's too bad he didn't take on the really tough ones like analog vs digital audio SQ, PC vs Mac, and whether amplifiers sound better if shipped by UPS or FedEx. :)

Union of Sound and Emptiness : In this unique presentation in front of a live orchestra, meditation teacher, Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche, presents ancient Tibetan Buddhist meditation practices for using sound as a support for meditation. Teaching to a sell-out crowd, Mingyur Rinpoche offers clear and profound instructions on the art of deepening awareness through the experience of the senses.

http://www.cultureunplugged.com/play/7845/Union-of-Sound-and-Emptiness

« What is it that makes us human ? Is it that we love' date=' that we fight ? That we laugh ? Cry ? Our curiosity ? The quest for discovery ? [/b']

The fact that we are genetically, practically and essentially identical to every other member of our species. That makes us all human. Not to say that there aren't differences. For instance, African Negroes have no Neanderthal genes, while Europeans and Asians do. That makes Negroes pure Cro-Magnon, while the rest are homo-sapiens and genetic mutts! :)

But seriously, those differences are highly academic and essentially trivial. Any perceived differences between groups of humans are cultural, not genetic. We are all the same where it counts (unless we are talking about presidential candidates. They're another (inferior) species altogether!).

George

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25552[/ATTACH]

Click to enlarge

Ah, Rodriguez, one of my all-time favorite cartoon satirists! My favorite showed a woman pushing a shopping cart standing in front of produce bins in her local supermarket. Two bins, side-by-side, were filled with mushrooms. The sign above one bin read "Mushrooms - $1.89 lb" the next bin said "????? - $0.10 lb" No caption was necessary!

George