IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

3 hours ago, PnL said:

Try 0.4.57 - its more stable version.

Actually I am back at 0.4.59, works like charm, completed all the upgrades one or another. 

Listening with Roon Ready at the moment. Thanks for all the help, it was really great. 

I was having a periodic issue for a couple of weeks, with 4.59 losing the queued music (wi-fi from NAS, MPD). It has since self-corrected. I haven't changed anything. Was it a NAS interface problem? It only happened with the sms-200, not my laptops, Chromecast Audio or Raspberry Pi.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

@deanorthk - an ultra neo is $1200 -- a low power nuc (not i7) with 8 g ram and a fanless case is around $500 or so.  i've found that you need a quad core to get best sound (in my experience).  if you can find a nuc7 pentium (seem to be out of stock everywhere), that would be a great choice -- i got impatient and just bought a nuc8i5.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
3 hours ago, deanorthk said:

as the price point is quite the same (so so), I am hesitation between the SMS200 ultra neo and a intel NUC, as a roon endpoint, anyone has made a comparison?

De best way if you can effordit is to chooce for both; De Nuc for Roon and the Sms200ultra as an end point. The nuc alone is a badbidea unless you use is for temporary purpuse. The only way to let the nuc sound is to connect him with the tx usb ultra but thats about the same price and the sms 200. Ultra is the better opion..

On 4/26/2019 at 3:58 PM, deanorthk said:

as the price point is quite the same (so so), I am hesitation between the SMS200 ultra neo and a intel NUC, as a roon endpoint, anyone has made a comparison?

These are not interchangeable things in context of use with Roon. I think you need NUC i7 (for roon server) + SOtM SMS-200 (or Ultra for roon brige) for best solution. Read documentation on roon site.

7 hours ago, PnL said:

These are not interchangeable things in context of use with Roon. I think you need NUC i7 (for roon server) + SOtM SMS-200 (or Ultra for roon brige) for best solution. Read documentation on roon site.

Exactly as i posted before; the only difference is that the nuc can play but not in the highest levels unless you add an endpoint like the sotm200ultra Neo 9or the cheaper sms200neo)

21 minutes ago, Tommd64 said:

Exactly as i posted before; the only difference is that the nuc can play but not in the highest levels unless you add an endpoint like the sotm200ultra Neo 9or the cheaper sms200neo)

As the owner of an i7 nuc with Audio-Linux and an SMS 200 ultra neo, I disagree.  Don't even get me started on the software for the SMS-200 series...

10 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

As the owner of an i7 nuc with Audio-Linux and an SMS 200 ultra neo, I disagree.  Don't even get me started on the software for the SMS-200 series...

I know the SoTM software isn’t always the easy way but once it works you get the best SQ and value for money. Set the nuc on the sotm and you have a great combination..

24 minutes ago, Tommd64 said:

I know the SoTM software isn’t always the easy way but once it works you get the best SQ and value for money. Set the nuc on the sotm and you have a great combination..

I tried as you mentioned, its not comparable.  Strictly speaking it makes no real sense, but it performs better and never glitches... isnt what you want in the end?  SotM software wasnt even stable at 44.1/16 for me.

1 hour ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

I tried as you mentioned, its not comparable.  Strictly speaking it makes no real sense, but it performs better and never glitches... isnt what you want in the end?  SotM software wasnt even stable at 44.1/16 for me.

I’m sorry to hear that. That’s certainly not the case for me..but i can’t deny issues sometimes by some updates..But stability isn’t the problem in most cases compared to the number off sales..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have not been able to access Eunhasu for a while on my sMS-200 Ultra....for some reason the IP address changes from time to time and I'm not able to access it through the sotm-audio.com/my link anymore....I'd appreciate any idea that'd allow me to access Eunhasu (I believe I'm on 0.4.57 or so....)

Thanks,

TANNOY Definition DC8T / STELLO Ai700 / AYRE QB-9 DSD / SOtM sMS-200 Ultra / QNAP HS-251+ / Triode Wire Labs

10 minutes ago, guillaume31 said:

Hi,

I have not been able to access Eunhasu for a while on my sMS-200 Ultra....for some reason the IP address changes from time to time and I'm not able to access it through the sotm-audio.com/my link anymore....I'd appreciate any idea that'd allow me to access Eunhasu (I believe I'm on 0.4.57 or so....)

Thanks,

If the sms unit is set to DHCP for networking then it could indeed change it's IP address from time to time.

Assuming you have a Windows computer available download and run 'Advanced IP Scanner'. This will find the device and show the current IP address. Other software should be available for Macs, etc.

Once accessed change the network settings from DHCP to Static, giving the unit its own IP address within your network range.

HTH

On 5/7/2019 at 9:08 AM, 5-pot-fan said:

Assuming you have a Windows computer available download and run 'Advanced IP Scanner'. This will find the device and show the current IP address. Other software should be available for Macs, etc.

Thanks, I downloaded a program for Mac and ran it, but it did not detect the sMS-200 :( I will re-try after I've restarted the sMS-200, maybe it'll work.

My SOtM does not work for me unfortunately, it's as if my sMS-200 was invisible ! But I can play music on my system !

TANNOY Definition DC8T / STELLO Ai700 / AYRE QB-9 DSD / SOtM sMS-200 Ultra / QNAP HS-251+ / Triode Wire Labs

9 minutes ago, guillaume31 said:

My SOtM does not work for me unfortunately, it's as if my sMS-200 was invisible ! But I can play music on my system !

This has happened to me also. Only thing that fixed it for me was to re-burn the SD card and after that Eunhasu was available again.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Hello, I tried to write 0.4.59 onto a card using ImageUSB and writing is fine but it’s failing to verify the image - I am on Windows 10. The SD card is new and tried both quick and regular formatting in exFat.

Any advice? Thanks

18 minutes ago, kopelli said:

Any advice? Thanks

The 4.59 version I downloaded fails the verify so I burnt 4.58 instead and upgraded to 4.59 from Eunhasu. 

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Just bought SMS 200 Ultra Neo with the LPS, the LPS can easily turn on but not the Neo which needs couple of on/off on/off to get it turn on.

I do realize without connecting the USB audio cable into Neo, the chance of on is much higher, I have replaced the USB cable but does not help, any idea ?

Thanks 

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

2 minutes ago, mitch751 said:

Just bought SMS 200 Ultra Neo with the LPS, the LPS can easily turn on but not the Neo which needs couple of on/off on/off to get it turn on.

I do realize without connecting the USB audio cable into Neo, the chance of on is much higher, I have replaced the USB cable but does not help, any idea ?

Thanks 

Are you giving the SMS-200 enough time to start the boot up sequence.  It takes about 10 to 15 seconds for the boot up to start on mine after I switch it on.