IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

Intrigued by the above I thought I would try taking my own Ethernet switch out of the signal path and run direct from router to the sMS-200Ultra, this was in Roon Ready mode.  It made no difference, with 100BASE-T selected and auto negotiation off, I again get the "an audiophile is loading slowly" message, exactly the same as with the switch in place.  So pretty consistent with @PnL's findings.

I tried a few other settings tweaks, but to no avail.

Then back to auto negotiation on and running HQPlayer, I got stuttering during playback.  Curious, this used to work perfectly, so what had I changed?  The answer is that I had also experimented with selecting a fixed IP address.  For some reason HQPlayer stutters when a fixed IP address is selected, but runs flawlessly when DHCP is selected.  Can anyone explain this?  It baffles me I have to say.

By contrast, I tried Shairport, 100BASE-T, auto negotiation off, static IP (the "all green mode, if you like), and this worked perfectly for hours. 

Anyway, back with DHCP selected, auto negotiation on, 100BASE-T selected, all modes work perfectly and sounds great, so no big deal I guess.🙂

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

4.6 is available on SOtM webpage now for download.

https://docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:eunhasu:burn_sdcard_image

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
  • 5 weeks later...

Does the following issue ring a bell for anyone?  I had to replace a modem, and after that everything seemed to be in order router etc. in that I can update my MPD database and play something and it seems to affect the SMS-200 lights wise correctly and plays in the MPD player, but all of a sudden now I am not getting any audio.  My Ayre Codex is working in Optical connected to a mac mini, and although I have not tried any alternate USB source yet, I seem to get some changes/faint clicks when rebooting the SMS-200, just not any audio when playing.

If rebooted both the SMS-200 a few times as well as rebooted the Codex but no luck so far.  Any thoughts?

On 8/7/2019 at 9:19 PM, bmoregnr said:

Any thoughts?

What firmware version are you on?

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system
6 hours ago, octaviars said:

What firmware version are you on?

I have been meaning to post again, so thanks for asking and I'll use this opportunity to say that this is looking like my DAC USB section bit it.  It was a lightning strike that took out the modem needing the change and after some testing of alternative USB sources I can't get USB to work on the DAC.

I'm afraid to admit it but I was on 4.22 as all those upgrades looked painful to me and I am not the most talented with this stuff.  In the process of working through this issue I burned 4.6 and it appears to work (and was pretty easy knock wood) including recognizing new things added to the SSD attached to it.  Again it sure looks like I can play things MPD as well from what the player seems to be doing.

At this point I have to sort out the DAC next then give this a try again.

3 hours ago, bmoregnr said:

I have to sort out the DAC next then give this a try again.

Check that the pins in the DAC USB port are correctly aligned. I managed to bend two pins while plugging a cable in. I straightened them by bending back into place with a tiny screwdriver, all good now. A computer repair tech told me this is a common problem with USB ports.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

• 1 month later...

Is info available to DIY the Neo upgrade?

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

@audiobomber not that I have seen. It is not that difficult to take it appart you just need to be careful sliding the circuitboard out of the box as there are cableconnectors that needs to be disconnected. The capacitor sits on a smal circuitboard whre the DC connector is placed.

I have two photos of the boards perhaps not much to see but it took perhaps 5-10 minutes to do the operation.

thumbnail_DSC_0081_10.thumb.jpg.593f975b45163fce8f61337da29a89a0.jpg

On this photo you see the backside where the legs on the changed capacitor is placed.

thumbnail_DSC_0082_10.thumb.jpg.dccfd130e248d9f399740ff5ab71c140.jpg

Main system

Second system

Perfect, thanks octaviars! What is the capacitance? I'd like to order it beforehand so I don't have to disassemble twice. I'm a huge fan of Auricaps. 

2 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

What is the capacitance?

The original one was 2200uF and the new one is 3300uF/25V if I dont remember wrong (did not take a picture of the new cap and dont remember the make and model as it is more than a year ago I did it).

Main system

Second system
6 minutes ago, octaviars said:

The original one was 2200uF and the new one is 3300uF/25V if I dont remember wrong (did not take a picture of the new cap and dont remember the make and model as it is more than a year ago I did it).

LOL! Look what I found on the net. Your post from 2018 in the Devialet forum:

Upgraded my Ultra to Neo yesterday and found it to be a good thing as the top end shifted a bit tonaly. Funny thing that a capacitor in the PSU part of the Ultra can do this (the capacitor changed from 2200uF to 3300uF)

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-A-Confused-streaming-system-Mutec-SOtM-Ultra?page=26

22 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Your post from 2018 in the Devialet forum:

Well that whats happens when you are all over the place :)

Main system

Second system
4 hours ago, audiobomber said:

LOL! Look what I found on the net. Your post from 2018 in the Devialet forum:

Upgraded my Ultra to Neo yesterday and found it to be a good thing as the top end shifted a bit tonaly. Funny thing that a capacitor in the PSU part of the Ultra can do this (the capacitor changed from 2200uF to 3300uF)

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-A-Confused-streaming-system-Mutec-SOtM-Ultra?page=26

What a bizarre and crazy thread that is that you have linked to there....🙂

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I have read all 1866 post on this topic.  Quite a learning.  I bought a used one early of the year with firm ware 4.56.  It sounds great to me.  Then I realized that if I go HDD attached on router, it sounds even better.  Now I am thinking to take a complete WiFI approach to put WiFi adapter on sMS 200.  Any suggestion which brand of adapter I should purchase. I am using DLNA/JRiver on a MacBook.  Thank you very much!

• 1 month later...

I notice that there are some release notes listed on the Eunhasu system upgrade page:

Last version information

Version : V0.4.7
- Date : 03-11-2019
- Add ripped files path setting feature
- Changed MPD Audio buffer size value up to 100MB
- Changed MPD Period time value up to 500ms
- Changed some of Eunhasu user interface
- Upgraded MPD to the version no. 0.21.15
- Upgraded Upmpdcli(DLNA renderer) to the version no. 1.4.5
- Upgraded HQplayer NAA(networkaudiod) to the version no. 3.6.0

Some questions from myself, does anyone know the significance of the upgrade to NAA version 3.6.0?  Does this have any significance for sound quality?  (or indeed, for DLNA renderer version 1.4.5?)