IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

2 hours ago, ClothEars said:

Are you giving the SMS-200 enough time to start the boot up sequence.  It takes about 10 to 15 seconds for the boot up to start on mine after I switch it on.

Yes I always do even for few minutes 

no USB audio cable connection MOSTLY no issue. 

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

4 hours ago, mitch751 said:

Just bought SMS 200 Ultra Neo with the LPS, the LPS can easily turn on but not the Neo which needs couple of on/off on/off to get it turn on.

I do realize without connecting the USB audio cable into Neo, the chance of on is much higher, I have replaced the USB cable but does not help, any idea ?

Thanks 

It sounds like a possible power issue?  Does the SMS 200 Ultra Neo require 9v or 12v?  Does the LPS supply the appropriate voltage for it?  Are you connecting any external USB drives to the SMS? 

Perhaps you can try using the SMPS wall wart that was supplied with the SMS 200?  This will help rule out the LPS as the cause if the SMS 200 still has trouble booting up.

6 hours ago, EMMM said:

It sounds like a possible power issue?  Does the SMS 200 Ultra Neo require 9v or 12v?  Does the LPS supply the appropriate voltage for it?  Are you connecting any external USB drives to the SMS? 

Perhaps you can try using the SMPS wall wart that was supplied with the SMS 200?  This will help rule out the LPS as the cause if the SMS 200 still has trouble booting up.

Thank you for the suggestions, firstly my LPS in fact is SoTM SPS 500 and I have tried both 9 and 12 v with the same result.

Now I must need to turn the Neo one before I connect the USB cable, once it on it can run overnight without any issue.

I do not have the wall wart that was supplied with the SMS 200 and there is no external USB drive connect to NEO

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

Hi all,

I hope, I will find someone with an idea for my problem.

I use a sms 200 (Ultra) together with ROON (going into kii 3). The signal is coming to the sms 200 via wlan. Since several weeks (no changes in hardware) I find very often the following situation: Eything is powered up and when starting ROON on my tablet I get the message „no audio devide found“.

35798774gj.jpg

When I power of the sms and power it on again after a few seconds I can see the sms 200 in ROON.

35798775zx.jpg

Any idea?

Thanks in advance! Christoph

21 minutes ago, muenchenlaim said:

Any idea?

Thanks in advance! Christoph

You are not the first one that I see have problems with SOtM and Kii. Something with the USB connection to the speaker looses the handshake. When you restart the sMS-200Ultra the connection is re-established. 

My dac does the same but it re-connects as soon as it is powered on.

I dont have any solution to the problem. 

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Mitch, de sps 500 is ,, as it said a switched power supply. Instead of a liniar power supply. Nothing wrong with that coz it sounds great. If you have no wallwart power you have almost certaintly a 12v input on your sotm sms200ultra. Are you sure you use the right voltage?? Check you original box..

6 hours ago, Tommd64 said:

Mitch, de sps 500 is ,, as it said a switched power supply. Instead of a liniar power supply. Nothing wrong with that coz it sounds great. If you have no wallwart power you have almost certaintly a 12v input on your sotm sms200ultra. Are you sure you use the right voltage?? Check you original box..

Hi, 

thank you, sorry i was wrongly stated the sps 500 as LPS. I have double checked the Ultra Neo needs 12v and sps 500 is being selected as 12v output. I have  tried to connect it with a wallwart power (12v), same issue.

now, I must first unplug USB cable before turning on the Neo. 

14 hours ago, mitch751 said:

Hi, 

thank you, sorry i was wrongly stated the sps 500 as LPS. I have double checked the Ultra Neo needs 12v and sps 500 is being selected as 12v output. I have  tried to connect it with a wallwart power (12v), same issue.

now, I must first unplug USB cable before turning on the Neo. 

Are you able to try a different USB cable? 

Also, when using a 12v wallwart, was it a direct connection to the SMS-200 Ultra Neo?  I'm asking this in order to eliminate any issue with the SPS 500 and the DC cable between the SMS 200 and SPS 500.

If these suggestions don't work, I would suggest the next step would be either to contact the seller for help or reach out to May at SOtM directly.

Hi Mitch; perhaps you already treid this but anyway ill state it.  Please try first to switch your nuc out. Then switch your sms200 out ( watchout only on the front and wait for 2 minutes. The put on the Nuc and wait for 2 minutes before switch youre sms 200 on the front. Again wait for 2 minutes...If this doesnt work try with power on a reset on the back of the sms200 and wait for 5 minutes..Problaby your sorrow will be over..

8 hours ago, EMMM said:

Are you able to try a different USB cable? 

Also, when using a 12v wallwart, was it a direct connection to the SMS-200 Ultra Neo?  I'm asking this in order to eliminate any issue with the SPS 500 and the DC cable between the SMS 200 and SPS 500.

If these suggestions don't work, I would suggest the next step would be either to contact the seller for help or reach out to May at SOtM directly.

Thank you once again, Emmm and Tommd for your help.

I have tried the following which no luck :

1. Have done few resets
  2. Replaced with few different USB cable
  3. Direct connect to 12V wallwart power
  4. Switch on Nuc

The only way to turn in on was to unplug the USB audio cable from the Ultra Neo back, switch in on and plug the USB cable when its LED turn solid green.

I brought the Ultra Neo to my study room and connected with wallwart power (with no any cable connection on the back), IT TURN ON, so I connect an USB cable with it but no DAC on the other end, it TURN ON.

I got excited and brought it back to my listening room, connected all cables back with the wallwart power, it refused to Turn On. Then I unplug the USB cable, it TURN ON.

Out of a sudden, I have a feeling whether it has something related to my Vinnie Rossini LIO DAC, therefore I connected all the cable back to Ultra Neo, turn the LIO DAC first before turning the SoTM combo on, it TURN ON.

The conclusion is I need to press the on Botton of my DAC (does  not need to wait the dac to complete the boot process), then turn on the SMS500 , within 30 seconds the Ultra Neo will automatically switch on.

I have tried couple of times, so far so good.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it was back in March that I posted about how much I liked V0.4.57.  Since then, things have moved on, there were reported issues with the new 100Base-T mode not working as it should with V0.4.57, and later firmware versions have been released.  Like many, I have updated to V0.4.58 and then V0.4.59.  I normally run Roon / HQPlayer to the sMS200-Ultra Neo, and in this mode the 100Base-T setting does not work with V0.4.59 in my system, a case of stuttering and interrupted play.  Not too much of an issue because all works fine if I set to 1000Base-T.  

Over recent weeks I have found myself less than 100% happy with V0.4.59, nominally it sounds great, but with some music I have found it a little fatiguing, maybe some kind of "digititus" creeping in, a case of a touch of HF harshness causing listening fatigue.

This got me wondering, was the V0.4.57 that I liked so much at the time actually better in my system?  Luckily, because I liked V0.4.57, I kept a spare SD card with this firmware, so a couple of weeks ago I switched back to V0.4.57, with the not working as it should 100Base-T mode selected. 

My conclusion after a couple of weeks, is that I do indeed prefer V0.4.57, in my case with the not working as it should 100base-T mode selected.  It sounds more or less the same as V0.4.59 to me in terms of detail, but just a little more "analogue" and without the fatiguing HF and certainly a fuller sound overall, which may account for the HF irritation being seemingly reduced.  V0.4.57 is much more to my liking, which is curious when you consider I am running the 100BASE-T mode, which clearly does not work as it should with V0.4.57.  This may be system dependant, as my set up will not run 100Base-T with V0.4.59, not without stuttering at least.  Or maybe V0.4.57 does sound a little different? 

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

1 hour ago, Confused said:

I think it was back in March that I posted about how much I liked V0.4.57.  Since then, things have moved on, there were reported issues with the new 100Base-T mode not working as it should with V0.4.57, and later firmware versions have been released.  Like many, I have updated to V0.4.58 and then V0.4.59.  I normally run Roon / HQPlayer to the sMS200-Ultra Neo, and in this mode the 100Base-T setting does not work with V0.4.59 in my system, a case of stuttering and interrupted play.  Not too much of an issue because all works fine if I set to 1000Base-T.  

Over recent weeks I have found myself less than 100% happy with V0.4.59, nominally it sounds great, but with some music I have found it a little fatiguing, maybe some kind of "digititus" creeping in, a case of a touch of HF harshness causing listening fatigue.

This got me wondering, was the V0.4.57 that I liked so much at the time actually better in my system?  Luckily, because I liked V0.4.57, I kept a spare SD card with this firmware, so a couple of weeks ago I switched back to V0.4.57, with the not working as it should 100Base-T mode selected. 

My conclusion after a couple of weeks, is that I do indeed prefer V0.4.57, in my case with the not working as it should 100base-T mode selected.  It sounds more or less the same as V0.4.59 to me in terms of detail, but just a little more "analogue" and without the fatiguing HF and certainly a fuller sound overall, which may account for the HF irritation being seemingly reduced.  V0.4.57 is much more to my liking, which is curious when you consider I am running the 100BASE-T mode, which clearly does not work as it should with V0.4.57.  This may be system dependant, as my set up will not run 100Base-T with V0.4.59, not without stuttering at least.  Or maybe V0.4.57 does sound a little different? 

I had a similar experience with my SOTM200 (see my profile for my system) :

V4.57 sounded great especially with the 100Base-T setting. 1000Base-T sounded a bit less (slightly harsher). After installing V4.59 I noticed severe stuttering with 100Base-T setting (using MPD/DLNA). Could only use 1000Base-T, which sounded not as good as V4.57 100Base. So I switched back to V4.57 as you did. 

Check my profile for my audiosystem.

Hello,

I have a SMS-200 and I just updated to v.4.59 from v 4.51.
I tried the 100Base T setting and the sound improvement is very good over the 1000Base T option.
However I do have an issue:

I Use Roon Core on a macbook connected via wifi (5G) to the SoTM SMS-200. In this configuration the 100Base T setting is not useable, even increasing buffer there are continuous drop outs, especially with 24 bit streaming.

If I connect the Macbook via ethernet to the SMS-200 I can use the 100 Base T setting without issues.

Could you please advise how to solve this for the wifi configuration? It is a much more convenient set up for me.

Also, Is there a way to share this with SOtM staff?

Thank you

19 hours ago, BPED said:

Hello,

I have a SMS-200 and I just updated to v.4.59 from v 4.51.
I tried the 100Base T setting and the sound improvement is very good over the 1000Base T option.
However I do have an issue:

I Use Roon Core on a macbook connected via wifi (5G) to the SoTM SMS-200. In this configuration the 100Base T setting is not useable, even increasing buffer there are continuous drop outs, especially with 24 bit streaming.

If I connect the Macbook via ethernet to the SMS-200 I can use the 100 Base T setting without issues.

Could you please advise how to solve this for the wifi configuration? It is a much more convenient set up for me.

Also, Is there a way to share this with SOtM staff?

Thank you

Well the 100 base T setting has some issues, I wouldn't recommend it, it caused me some concerns although sound quality was better with it. I don't think it is ready yet for a stable use.

Then this setting is only for ethernet cable connections, nothing to do with wifi. So if you use Wifi it'll be fine and you won't depend on this issue.

Here on the forum there one person from SOtM  May, you'll find her in the user lists. I think SOtM is already aware of this issue.

Mac Mini server running Audirvana+

SOtM SMS-200 neo ultra w/ external clock output linked to a tX-USBhubEX 
SOtM SPS-500 powering both streamer and USB reclocker with Ghent Audio Y DC cable

Wyred4Sound DAC2DSDse w/femto clock

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

2 hours ago, Tommd64 said:

Hallo no issues here with 4.59 with 100t. Everything is stable;100t Sounds definitely different but i have nt got the time for a longtime listening between the 100t and 1000t.  

Which Eunhasu mode are you using?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

thanks to all. I sent a PM to May.. let's see. I do hope that 100BASE T option is stabilized because the sound quality is excellent! I understand it's a ethernet option but hopefully it will be possible to implement something comparable for wifi..

It seems I am one of the lucky ones. I switched to 100BASE-T this afternoon. I'm a bit shocked and very pleased at the sonic improvement, and no reliability concerns with my wi-fi based system (QNAP NAS, sMs-200 with FW 4.59).

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

Does anyone have an explanation as to why 100BASE-T should sound better than 1000BASE-T? 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

Does anyone think that setting 100base-T on both the streamer and ethernet switch makes music sounds dull and lifeless? 

After spending some time messing around with the settings - I think its best to leave the ethernet switch as 1000base-T and the streamer at 100base-T. Maybe its just my setup and environment. Any views on this?

Last version information

Version : V0.4.6 
- Date : 17-06-2019 
- Added Ethernet auto negotiation selection feature 
- Added a new feature that prevent installing and uninstalling the apps if Eunhasu server is not ready 
- Upgraded ROON Ready to the version no. 1.1.36 
- Upgraded Squeezelite to the version no. 1.9.0.1157 
- Upgraded Logitech Media Server to the version no. 7.9.2-git1559745322 
- Improved the upgrade system 
- Enabled read and write feature on external USB disks via network share folder