IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

3 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

@ronfint How are the Eunhasu response and blinking light issues with the latest releases?  Tried NAA.  Unfortunately, 4.5.7 isn’t available on the download page, only 4.22 and 4.58.  Interesting.

Yes. Very interesting. One of realy stable version and not available...

5 hours ago, Confused said:

To be frank, I guess it allows SOtM to provide more rapid, and cheaper, development.  Essentially they are using their customers as Beta testers.  This is a lot faster and cheaper than performing extensive in house testing, especially considering the vast range of associated kit and options that the end users have available.  There is some evidence of this when you consider that 4.58 was never offered as an Eunhasu update, only something on the SOtM documents page, to be downloaded and burned as an image, something most users would not bother to do.  (although 4.59 is available in Eunhasu, I have to admit)

One trick for those frustrated by this, simply ignore any new updates for at least a month.  After a month, anything buggy should have been removed or replaced anyway, the versions that survive a month should be ok.

Its advised to always switch with a good working sd card. Take a least  a 16gb card . In that case its always possible to go back to a good working exemplary.

7 hours ago, Jean Plum said:

I dropped £2k on SOtM kit a year ago ?

Would I do so today ? Nope. Marketing disaster.

On  the bright side you never get that brilliant sounding product for a price like this.and its still innovation to a Class A performance and its growing ever since. most products are what you pay is what you get..

On teh dark side theres are Beta influences and you gotta live with that..

4 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

@ronfint How are the Eunhasu response and blinking light issues with the latest releases?  Tried NAA.  Unfortunately, 4.5.7 isn’t available on the download page, only 4.22 and 4.58.  Interesting.

Hi Jay,

I really can't comment about this, as the blinking light never really bothered me. It certainly hasn't stopped blinking.

If you'd like a micro sd card with 4.57 installed, pm your address to me and I'll mail one to you.

About second SD card. I created new image from main SD card with 0.4.57 after setup my settings by imageUSB tool for burning FW image to SD card - see option in "step 2" - "Create image from USB drive". Becouse every time when I need return to 0.4.57 I must reconect my sms-200 from PC discret net-card to router and again to PC discret net-card and setup settings. May be it save your time too.

4 hours ago, ClothEars said:

I have loaded the latest firmware (version 4.59) and it seems to work with MPD.  The strange thing is that the change log only shows changes up to version 4.7 dated 18/3/2019.

My 4.59 shows the change log for 4.59.

Version : V0.4.59
  - Date : 27-3-2019
  - Fixed up system upgrade time out error
  - Fixed up kernel check time out error
  - Fixed link speed setting bug
  - Improved special charector USB ID recognize bug

The blinking light on the front are still there with Roon active (dac and core switched of).

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Thinking about the recent posts.  Last weekend I was VERY happy with the sound form 4.57, it really seems to gell with my system.  Thinking that 4.57 might be a "keeper" is the only reason I went to the trouble of burning an image to a separate SD card in order to try 4.58.  In normal circumstances, I would not have bothered and simply upgraded via Eunhasu.  Considering that both 4.58 and 4.59 do not work for me with HQPlayer, I would have been a bit stuffed, with no way to revert back to 4.57.  It is not often that everyone agrees with something on an audio forum, but with respect to SOtM marking firmware releases as beta until proven bug-free and stable appears to be one of those rare cases of consensus.  Furthermore, there a few posters on this thread that clearly have the knowledge and ability to act as beta testers, across a wide range of Eunhasu's various modes.  So with a ready-made beta test team willing and able to help, why not SOtM?  This would keep the pace of development going, without invoking various frustrations for many users, who perhaps just want to spend their time listening to a few tunes?

EDIT - Back on 4.57, I have do not have blinking light syndrome when the associated audio PC is powered down.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

5 hours ago, octaviars said:

My 4.59 shows the change log for 4.59.

Version : V0.4.59
  - Date : 27-3-2019
  - Fixed up system upgrade time out error
  - Fixed up kernel check time out error
  - Fixed link speed setting bug
  - Improved special charector USB ID recognize bug

The blinking light on the front are still there with Roon active (dac and core switched of).

How strange!  I just booted it up to force another 4.59 update but checked the change log first and found that it is now showing the 4.59 changes. 

6 hours ago, Confused said:

Furthermore, there a few posters on this thread that clearly have the knowledge and ability to act as beta testers, across a wide range of Eunhasu's various modes.

This is a very good idea!

My 4.59 upgrade went smoothly. NAA works perfectly and the sound is enchanting, to say the least.

Maybe, I'm just lucky that way...😊

On the server front, I hope you've noticed the beans being spilled by @romaz concerning a SoTM i7 mobo is in the works, for an upcoming server product, most probably...🤫

Is there anyone who uses Roon with 4.59 (or 4.58) and has no problems? Please describe in detail your sms-200 system settings and RoonReady settings. It will also be interesting how your network is organized and, possibly, the settings in Roon Server, if they differ from the standard ones. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, PnL said:

Is there anyone who uses Roon with 4.59 (or 4.58) and has no problems?

I have zero problems with 4.59 and Roon.

I run Roon ROCK on a NUC i5 and that is connected to a Netgear GS108 switch my sMS-200ultra Neo is connected to that also. 

100BASE-T network speed and settings in Roon is 0.5 buffer time and 0.2 (I think this is the original settings). 

Cant remember anything else that I have changed and I stream the native resolution to my TAD D1000mk2 dac (usb goes via a tX-USBultra). 

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
14 minutes ago, PnL said:

Is there anyone who uses Roon with 4.59 (or 4.58) and has no problems? Please describe in detail your sms-200 system settings and RoonReady settings. It will also be interesting how your network is organized and, possibly, the settings in Roon Server, if they differ from the standard ones. Thanks!

Zero problems, 200 Ultra, iFi USB into Mytek Brooklyn Dac, Roon Rock running on Mac Mini i5 4GB mid 2011.

Has anyone been successful with the 100BASE-T setting with DSD512? I've tried 4.59 with both an SOtM modified switch and with a Netgear GS105. In both cases, Roon has stalled and given the standard error message. I'm wondering whether the problem is that DSD512 needs network speed greater than 100BASE-T. 

3 hours ago, tedwoods said:

This is a very good idea!

My 4.59 upgrade went smoothly. NAA works perfectly and the sound is enchanting, to say the least.

Maybe, I'm just lucky that way...😊

On the server front, I hope you've noticed the beans being spilled by @romaz concerning a SoTM i7 mobo is in the works, for an upcoming server product, most probably...🤫

Interesting that 4.59 works for you with NAA.  Is this with 1000BASE-T or 100BASE-T?  I did get it working on 1000BASE-T, tried 100BASE-T, this did not work, then back to 1000BASE-T, this did not work, despite trying re-boots and all sorts of things.

I have to say that I’m still loving the sound with 4.57, so very much hassle but more than worth it for the sound quality hike.

And no, I had not spotted  Romaz’s post re the mobo.  I found it after a quick search though, I will keep an eye out for his one.....

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I changed the network settings of that network adapter to which sms-200 is connected - removed all unnecessary, left only TCP / IPv4, checked the sound output on these settings - everything works fine, after that I tried to update the firmware to 4.59 on the second SD card - I did not succeed even with the help of a special command: "http: // <your Eunhasu ip address> /exec.php?cmd=sudo echo -e“ \ nTimeout 3600 \ nProxyTimeout 3600 ”>> / etc / httpd / conf / httpd. conf; sudo reboot now; "although last time it helped. Perhaps now 4.59 is simply unavailable - I do not know. I'll try again tomorrow.

Tested 4.59

Librespot and 100base t doesn’t play well together. Selecting a song from ios app takes about 30 secs to register and get played in sotm. 

MPD and Roon is ok though with 100base t settings (I didn’t encounter any problem since 4.57 to begin with).

My guess is whatever problems people have in 4.58 did not get fixed in 4.59. Looking forward to a 4.6 release

Back to 4.57 again (from 4.58) and again (from 4.59)