IGNORED

Audirvana 2.4 + remote app 1.5

In the past year, some combination of Audirvana/OS X upgrades has eliminated my ability to play at 192kHz without dropouts. I have just done a clean install of El Capitan and the problem remains.

There is plenty of memory and CPU available - it seems that it has become impossible for Audirvana to send data fast enough.

A.

Addendum: I said 'in the past year', but I think it is more like in the past six months but I am not really sure.

El Capitan is a failed OSX with known USB issues.

A a general rule, there can be compatibility issues with 3rd party apps and drivers whenever an operating system update is installed.

At least i'm not alone...

Late 2012 mini, 16gb ram regular hard disk, nothing else running...

All well for me when upsampling to 176/192 but when trying 352/384 Audirvana won't lock to signal fast enough resulting in hiccups, but it lock after a while... sometimes it locks at start, but never for sure, frustrating. Tried everything...

Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 DSD SE, 10.11.4b7

SavantGarde... i see you use also JRiver like me... do you have troubles with that soft too?

because me, i don't have any problem playing files at 352/384 with JRiver with these settings...

Snapz002.jpg

Snapz003.jpg

we have same computer, same memory...

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

In the past year, some combination of Audirvana/OS X upgrades has eliminated my ability to play at 192kHz without dropouts. I have just done a clean install of El Capitan and the problem remains.

There is plenty of memory and CPU available - it seems that it has become impossible for Audirvana to send data fast enough.

A.

Addendum: I said 'in the past year', but I think it is more like in the past six months but I am not really sure.

From your description, we seem to have the same problem. 6–12 months sounds about right. Audirvana never goes above about 25% total CPU usage (always below 110% out of 400%; typically about 5% when track loading has finished), and the red CPU warning (in Audirvana, that is) doesn't show up when I get the distortions/stutterings (if I use Direct Mode, I get dropouts instead of stutterings).

"It is commonly accepted amongst authentic libertines that the sensations communicated by the organs of hearing are the most flattering and those impressions are the liveliest" (Donatien Alphonse François de Sade)

SavantGarde... i see you use also JRiver like me... do you have troubles with that soft too?

because me, i don't have any problem playing files at 352/384 with JRiver with these settings...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24851[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24852[/ATTACH]

No problems upsampling with JRiver, only with Audirvana. Since Audirvana does most of its audio processing before actually playing the track (some of it seems to be performed in realtime whilst waiting for the bufferering to complete), I would expect its playback performance to be more stable than JRiver's. Obviously something is amiss.

Increasing or decreasing upsampling quality doesn't seem to affect this problem. Neither does changing the buffer size.

"It is commonly accepted amongst authentic libertines that the sensations communicated by the organs of hearing are the most flattering and those impressions are the liveliest" (Donatien Alphonse François de Sade)

yep, same for me :-)

i even try 10.11.4 beta to see if it is gone... no luck

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

From your description, we seem to have the same problem. 6–12 months sounds about right. Audirvana never goes above about 25% total CPU usage...

Agreed. My system is 95% idle, with A+ taking about half a percent of a CPU. No upsampling, just playing a 192kHz FLAC but the DAC seems to run out of data and responds by briefly muting the output. There is no other activity on the USB bus. I have adjusted the buffer up and down with no effect.

A.

i have problem with 2.4 version when playing 192kHz too either 24bit, 32bit music. It plays for some seconds then starts stuttering and dropouts

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), Audirvana Plus 3.0, AudioQuest Diamond USB cable, Oppo HA-1/Mutec MC1.2 + Weiss DAC2, Audio-GD Master 9, Oppo Balanced Headphone Cable, Oppo PM-2

10.11.4 OS X update is out: "Fixes an issue that caused USB audio devices to disconnect"

all who have problems, i wish you luck :-)

RunHomeSlow, thank you for pointing out that line item from OS X 10.11.4. I have definitely experienced this kind of problem on El Capitan, and I hope this fixes it for me. I'm not sure where I could find a more detailed description of the issue that Apple claims to have fixed so I can see whether it matches what I've seen in the log.

Damien, can we assume you have tested A+ 2.4 and the IOS remote 1.5 with OS X 10.11.4 and IOS 9.3? Is it safe to upgrade without breaking A+?

Today Apple finally comes out with a half decent 5 MP FaceTime camera on the 9.7" iPad Pro. Wow, it's about time. And new watch bands. Be still my beating heart!

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

10.11.4 OS X update is out: "Fixes an issue that caused USB audio devices to disconnect"

all who have problems, i wish you luck :-)

Thanks RunHomeSlow. This 10.11.4 OS X update fixed my dropout issue.

A+ 2.4 sounds just amazing to me

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), Audirvana Plus 3.0, AudioQuest Diamond USB cable, Oppo HA-1/Mutec MC1.2 + Weiss DAC2, Audio-GD Master 9, Oppo Balanced Headphone Cable, Oppo PM-2

yep, same for me :-)

i even try 10.11.4 beta to see if it is gone... no luck

Do you know if your DAC uses a USB interface from M2Tech? I tried Audirvana, albeit briefly (20–30 minutes), yesterday with an old Native Instruments interface and had no issues. There's a forum thread from 2015 about Audirvana stuttering with a Chord DAC that seems to use a USB interface from M2Tech. As for me, I still use my old M2Tech hiFace.

Hello,

i don't know... This is from the DAC manual:

Another bonus is the galvanically isolated I²S USB interface which guarantees zero opportunity for computer noise to interfere with the quality of the audio signal. Setup with your source via USB is simple because the new interface is driverless for Linux, Mac OSX 10.6-10.9, and supports Integer mode protocol.

Since i have absolutely no problem with JRiver at 352/384, i think it must be A+ fault. for me it is just the locking of the signal when changing rate... not happening everytimes, but you never sure. When it locks, it plays well, mostly without dropouts of sound. it must be something like you said earlier in the thread...

Since Audirvana does most of its audio processing before actually playing the track (some of it seems to be performed in realtime whilst waiting for the bufferering to complete), I would expect its playback performance to be more stable than JRiver's. Obviously something is amiss. Increasing or decreasing upsampling quality doesn't seem to affect this problem. Neither does changing the buffer size.

i have to say that i had that problem too with JRiver some times ago... i think when i put the software buffer at 1000 milliseconds and the hardware buffer at max, it stopped and plays flawllesly since.

Since i have absolutely no problem with JRiver at 352/384, i think it must be A+ fault. for me it is just the locking of the signal when changing rate... not happening everytimes, but you never sure. When it locks, it plays well, mostly without dropouts of sound.

If your problem appears when changing sample rates you should try turning off Direct Mode in the Audirvana preferences. Damien told me to do that when I had such problems a while back.

I think I've mostly solved my own distortion issue now, by simplifying my external digital audio routing and then resetting my upsampling options to the standard high quality setting (by dragging the quality slider back and forth). That, together with my recent clean audio-only Yosemite installation, seems to have made things much better distortion-wise.

If your problem appears when changing sample rates you should try turning off Direct Mode in the Audirvana preferences. Damien told me to do that when I had such problems a while back.

Still getting odd behavior when trying to upsample tracks from Qobuz. Even with standard 'high quality' filter settings, Audirvana 2.4 keeps aborting when playing some very standard tracks. Really not usable for me :-(

Still getting odd behavior when trying to upsample tracks from Qobuz. Even with standard 'high quality' filter settings, Audirvana 2.4 keeps aborting when playing some very standard tracks. Really not usable for me :-(

To be more specific in case Damien has a look at this, Audirvana is quite systematically aborting when trying to play a 24/xxx track from Qobuz and upsample it to 24/192. This does not happen when playing 16/44.1 tracks and upsampling. This pb did not occur with 2.3.3 but started with 2.3.8.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24851[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24852[/ATTACH]

i have to say that i had that problem too with JRiver some times ago... i think when i put the software buffer at 1000 milliseconds and the hardware buffer at max, it stopped and plays flawllesly since.

Guys I am now listening with jriver in 352,8 with 2 secs prebuffering, and on device settings 25msecs Buffering, and hardware default, with no problem at all..

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

To be more specific in case Damien has a look at this, Audirvana is quite systematically aborting when trying to play a 24/xxx track from Qobuz and upsample it to 24/192. This does not happen when playing 16/44.1 tracks and upsampling. This pb did not occur with 2.3.3 but started with 2.3.8.

huh.png

here I am streaming a 24-44.1 album from Qobuz and upsampling it to 24-192 without any issue (A+ 2.4.0)

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 18.46.26.jpg

I'm a little puzzled, though, as A+ says a 16-44.1 file is playing (Sublime subscription) and thinking about it... never saw 24 bit files being streamed (but I usually do not pay attention to it)

unknown.gif

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24879[/ATTACH]

here I am streaming a 24-44.1 album from Qobuz and upsampling it to 24-192 without any issue (A+ 2.4.0)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24880[/ATTACH]

I'm a little puzzled, though, as A+ says a 16-44.1 file is playing (Sublime subscription) and thinking about it... never saw 24 bit files being streamed (but I usually do not pay attention to it)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24881[/ATTACH][/Quote]

Depending on the load of Qobuz, they are downsampling their streams.

I do not have any pb either when they downsample to 16/44.1

oh, ok, so... whenever I was streaming (and paying attention to bit/sample rates) Qobuz was under heavy load :lol:

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24879[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24880[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24881[/ATTACH]

Even with Sublime subscription Qobuz will always stream in CD quality 16/44.1 EXCEPT if you bought the track in Hi-Res quality, then it will stream in that resolution.

IsoTek evo3 Sirius⎪Late 2009 27" iMac 20GB w/SSD, 10.10.x ➤Audirvana Plus 3.0.x (Exclusive Direct Integer Mode 1, NOS) & Qobuz HiFi Sublime+ ➤Curious Cables ➤UpTone Audio ISO REGEN (UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 (Breeze Audio R-Core Linear PSU)) ➤UpTone Audio USPCB ➤iFi micro iDAC2 running v5.2a (Bit-Perfect) serving:

➤Nobsound SE OTL headphone amp on Herbie's Soft Tenderfoot (selected tubes with Herbie's UltraSonic Rx) with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable⎪Audez'e LCD-2 Rev. 2 on Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 Premium cable

➤Audioengine A5+ with AudioQuest Power NRG-1 cable

➤iFi micro iTube2 ➤Denon AVR-A100 100th Anniversary Edition with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable on IsoTek evo3 Aquarius⎪B&W 804 D3 bi-amped on Inakustik cables