IGNORED

Audirvana 2.4 + remote app 1.5

Hmm … I found a rather recent thread about Audirvana Plus stuttering on a new 2015 Mac Mini, with no upsampling. Same OS X version as mine and a Cord Qute EX DAC, which I believe uses an M2Tech USB interface, just like mine. Maybe my particular system/installation isn't the problem, after all.

"It is commonly accepted amongst authentic libertines that the sensations communicated by the organs of hearing are the most flattering and those impressions are the liveliest" (Donatien Alphonse François de Sade)

It means the computer didn't run out of RAM and thus didn't have to resort to using disk space or memory compression (potentially slowing down memory access). The latter can be checked using Activity Monitor's Memory tab.

How do we interpret the info in the Memory tab?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Hmm … I found a rather recent thread about Audirvana Plus stuttering on a new 2015 Mac Mini, with no upsampling. Same OS X version as mine and a Cord Qute EX DAC, which I believe uses an M2Tech USB interface, just like mine. Maybe my particular system/installation isn't the problem, after all.

Is your mini responsive otherwise... as in everyday tasks, or don't you use it for that? I ask, because it sounds like your hard drive might be getting flaky. I support Macs and have had hard drives become slow to respond before a major failure.

Hopefully, some of the infrastructure Damien built for Qobuz integration will facilitate future TIDAL integration.

Of course, Qobuz isn't standing still. Qobuz is working on enhancements to their search engine, V3 of their API, and so on. If you prefer classical and jazz to Kanye, you will really like Qobuz.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Sooner rather than later :D

Hi Damien, thinking ahead to the microRendu which I'll probably buy later this year, is there a chance you will beef up Audirvana's server functionality to allow it to work better with the microRendu? I know that Audirvana can stream audio via AirPlay, but unless I'm mistaken, AirPlay is limited to 16/44 and doesn't work with DoP. Could a UPnP/DLNA server or NAA functionality be in Audirvana's future?

UPnP/DLNA server

+1

Music Server(s):Mac Mini w/UpTone linear power supply JS-2, SoTM 200 w/LPS-1, AQ Diamond USB cable,

Music Server Operating System:Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan, Roon, HQP, A+

USB Digital to Analog Converter(s):PS Audio DS Jr. w/UpTone Audio ReGen  w/ LPS-1 Power Supply

Preamplifier:PS Audio BHK preamp; Amplifier(s):Parasound Amplifier A21; Loudspeakers:Magnapan 3.7

Loudspeaker Cables:AudioQuest CV8

Hi Damien, thinking ahead to the microRendu which I'll probably buy later this year, is there a chance you will beef up Audirvana's server functionality to allow it to work better with the microRendu? I know that Audirvana can stream audio via AirPlay, but unless I'm mistaken, AirPlay is limited to 16/44 and doesn't work with DoP. Could a UPnP/DLNA server or NAA functionality be in Audirvana's future?

Yes!

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

If the micro rendu is the player (DLNA renderer or AirPlay emulator) don't you lose all the sound quality optimization of A+ on OS X? I've been pondering this myself. It doesn't seem like A+ and the micro rendu make sense together from an architecture point of view.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

If the micro rendu is the player (DLNA renderer or AirPlay emulator) don't you lose all the sound quality optimization of A+ on OS X? I've been pondering this myself. It doesn't seem like A+ and the micro rendu make sense together from an architecture point of view.

A+ should be able to send upsampled and iZotope-processed material to the microrendu or other player/renderer (which I don't believe the sonore unit is designed to do on the fly), so that's one way it could make sense. It does seem however, that eliminating the computer and having an NAS with renderer alone may be simpler and more elegant if done right.

I've had a nice Marantz dlna renderer here for a short time, but the software and UI left a lot to be desired, though the sound was great.

I like the sound and functioning of A+, and the proof is in always in the implementation and synergy with the rest of your gear.

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

A+ should be able to send upsampled and iZotope-processed material to the microrendu or other player/renderer (which I don't believe the sonore unit is designed to do on the fly), so that's one way it could make sense. It does seem however, that eliminating the computer and having an NAS with renderer alone may be simpler and more elegant if done right.

I've had a nice Marantz dlna renderer here for a short time, but the software and UI left a lot to be desired, though the sound was great.

I like the sound and functioning of A+, and the proof is in always in the implementation and synergy with the rest of your gear.

IMO the key/only reason to use A+ is its focus on using it with a computer.

The recent increase features is useful and keeps the product relevant for some. However, I would not like to see a bloat and SQ taking a back seat.

Would be helpful if someone could post a link for downlading 2.4. I don't want to update 2.2.9.6 without being able to revert back easily :-)

Just use the trial download from A+ web site

IsoTek evo3 Sirius⎪Late 2009 27" iMac 20GB w/SSD, 10.10.x ➤Audirvana Plus 3.0.x (Exclusive Direct Integer Mode 1, NOS) & Qobuz HiFi Sublime+ ➤Curious Cables ➤UpTone Audio ISO REGEN (UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 (Breeze Audio R-Core Linear PSU)) ➤UpTone Audio USPCB ➤iFi micro iDAC2 running v5.2a (Bit-Perfect) serving:

➤Nobsound SE OTL headphone amp on Herbie's Soft Tenderfoot (selected tubes with Herbie's UltraSonic Rx) with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable⎪Audez'e LCD-2 Rev. 2 on Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 Premium cable

➤Audioengine A5+ with AudioQuest Power NRG-1 cable

➤iFi micro iTube2 ➤Denon AVR-A100 100th Anniversary Edition with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable on IsoTek evo3 Aquarius⎪B&W 804 D3 bi-amped on Inakustik cables

Would be helpful if someone could post a link for downlading 2.4. I don't want to update 2.2.9.6 without being able to revert back easily :-)

Just use the trial download from A+ web site

Dyson's method certainly works.

But here's another idea, for now and for the future, for Jude and for all:

Before upgrading any music app, such as Audirvana, first rename the original one with the version number, like this:

"Audirvana Plus 2.2.9.6"

Then copy that renamed version to a separate folder.

I use a separate folder within my main Audirvana folder called "Earlier Versions."

And only then, update.

This way, you always have previous versions to go back to if there are problems, if you're just curious, if you want to make comparisons of various versions. Be sure, though, if you want to go back to earlier times, to COPY the previous iteration from your Earlier Versions folder and not to move it instead.

Considering how storage space is so inexpensive nowadays, this seems like a no-lose solution to me.

Dave, who earlier today wrote in the official Aurender thread that he always saves multiple versions of various music apps both for iOS and OS X separately in folders before making changes just in case he needs to go back as in this instance

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

Good idea Dave!

I've always used the 'Dyson Method', but like yours better [emoji846]

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Good idea Dave!

I've always used the 'Dyson Method', but like yours better [emoji846]

Oh good - very happy to help with best practices.

Actually, with Audirvana, I combine my method with Dyson's. That is, I always download the latest version of Audirvana directly from the website as a trial version...

Dave, who has developed various protective habits with software since he was a computer magazine editor from the mid-1980s to the mid-1990s

Haha!

Indeed. I was always wanting to do a clean install of A+. But as I'm having few issues, I wonder if I need too... Or maybe I'm just getting lazy...?

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

As long as you rename the app, you don't usually need a separate folder.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

As long as you rename the app, you don't usually need a separate folder.

No, you don't need it, but that way is more protective and I prefer to keep all my eggs in their own baskets.

Dave, who might say a comment using the words "eggs" and "baskets" could be considered part of the yeaster season

Haha!

Indeed. I was always wanting to do a clean install of A+. But as I'm having few issues, I wonder if I need too... Or maybe I'm just getting lazy...?

Oh my - that was good English! Nice work.

I meant to say as I have NOT been having problems with A+, I may not have to worry so much about doing clean installs.... But it's not so often I'm upgrading since I'm not getting betas.

Oh my - that was good English! Nice work.

I meant to say as I have NOT been having problems with A+, I may not have to worry so much about doing clean installs.... But it's not so often I'm upgrading since I'm not getting betas.

It only needs one update to screw your setup sometimes or screw your 3 A+ files database...

it's when the problem has occured that you see the big trouble to start again :-)

it's not like installing a clean install of an OS system, just copying an app and rename the old one first before copying. like my database, i copy the 3 files everyday when i've done some editing to a backup just in case. It was so long arranging it, that i don't take a chance :-)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13