IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

6 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Hi Jesus, I have a question you will likely find bizarre. Can the microRendu function correctly if immersed in a liquid nitrogen bath? Would this be destructive to any components of the device?

You are considering cryo treating it?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Just now, barrows said:

You are considering cryo treating it?

Wasn't but that's also a thought. I live near a university with a physics department so liquid nitrogen and helium are accessible. Mostly I'd like to trial some kind of meaningful super-cooling experiment with a microRendu to see if the reduction in thermal noise translates into an audible benefit. Cryo treating I tend to view as a temporary benefit, works for a while but  current/heat of renewed operation, tends to breaks down structure formed during cryo treatment.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

Hi Jesus, I have a question you will likely find bizarre. Can the microRendu function correctly if immersed in a liquid nitrogen bath? Would this be destructive to any components of the device?

Many components will crack if you cool them down quickly, so you can't just dip it in LN, you need some way to slowly cool it down. In addition you have to dry it out first so ice crystals don't form inside components and crack them. So you would want to put it in a desiccating chamber for a couple days before cooling. 

Once you get past that, will it even work? Probably not. Such low temperatures mess with the way semiconductors work. It is possible to make transistors that work at those temperatures, but I can guarantee that the chips in the microRendu were not designed with those considerations. So it probably will not work.

It might at dry ice temperatures, but probably not at LN temperatures. Even with dry ice you want to go the desiccant route first.

John S.

shout out to all Kef LS50 wireless speakers owners...

need your assistance kindly.

I'd read from a few posters on here and other forums that once Roon

was hooked up with the Kef speakers that many are finding that they

no longer need their MR or LPS1 power supplies: that the sound was as good

now with Roon implemented.

from one helpful poster on AV forums:
''Roon integration is really good. A lot of people have sold their micro Rendu a or ultra Rendu once it came out. Look on the computer audiophile forum.''

-----------

I was always under the impression that an MR

was needed if feeding it ethernet/usb to clean the signal path...but I guess Roon

is already doing that? i'm a bit unsure of how to proceed  as i have a mr 1.4 and lps 1 for my focal alpha 50 desktop actives..but thought i'd need another mr and lps1 or sbooster for my kef speakers too.

??

i am asking as i'm about to buy a sonictransporter i5 from the very helpful Andrew of SGC...but am unsure if i also need to buy another MR and power supply for the kefs, too.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/09/roon-comes-to-the-kef-ls50-wireless/

That is hard to say since we don't know anything about KEF's ethernet or USB implementation. Adding the microRendu gives you a lot more features that you don't get with Roon alone. Anyway, there are people on sides of the fence on this so its really up to you.

2 hours ago, canali said:

shout out to all Kef LS50 wireless speakers owners...

need your assistance kindly.

I'd read from a few posters on here and other forums that once Roon

was hooked up with the Kef speakers that many are finding that they

no longer need their MR or LPS1 power supplies: that the sound was as good

now with Roon implemented.

from one helpful poster on AV forums:
''Roon integration is really good. A lot of people have sold their micro Rendu a or ultra Rendu once it came out. Look on the computer audiophile forum.''

-----------

I was always under the impression that an MR

was needed if feeding it ethernet/usb to clean the signal path...but I guess Roon

is already doing that? i'm a bit unsure of how to proceed  as i have a mr 1.4 and lps 1 for my focal alpha 50 desktop actives..but thought i'd need another mr and lps1 or sbooster for my kef speakers too.

??

i am asking as i'm about to buy a sonictransporter i5 from the very helpful Andrew of SGC...but am unsure if i also need to buy another MR and power supply for the kefs, too.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/09/roon-comes-to-the-kef-ls50-wireless/

The KEF Wireless and the Rendus all acts as Roon endpoints. ?

As Jesus says you also get other features with the MicroRendu. You have to decide if you need them. As well if the USB implementation is done well enough on the KEF. 

Since you already have a MicroRendu, you can experiment for yourself, before buy a second one or an UltraRendu. 

But you may then also add a USB/SPDIF converter to in the chain, which I consider an overkill. Maybe Andrew can offer you 30 return on the Ultra Digital...

If you’re using HQPlayer, you could check how well that works in the chain without the MicroRendu. 

thanks for your reply.

i'm using the MR (with lps1, chord mojo) in the office/kitchen to power my desktop focal alpha 50 speakers/headphone amp

the kefs will be in the living room....i am buying a sonictransporter i5 from Andrew (which i've told is best to keep in a separate room quite often) to be used with an ipad mini4 (my 10 yr old windows laptop can't handle roon/tidal too well, esp when multitasking). eventually i will buy a new windows laptop this yr.

Danny from Roon tech support just replied about my situation:

If you don’t need to zone group, you don’t need the MR. You definitely don’t need the power supply for the kef since they have that built in.

• 2 weeks later...

yes, I think there are a very few out there...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 minute ago, guls said:

I have an old Musical Fidelity V-PSU with me. It has three 12V outputs. If I use it to power the microrendu, will it cause any damage?

Max input voltage is 9 VDC, do not use a 12 volt supply.

SONORE computer audio

On 12/11/2017 at 5:12 PM, guls said:

I was trying to save on the power supply! I read elsewhere on a SOTM SMS-200 review that it worked with a 12V DC without issue though it is also specced lower. As long as 12V doesn't damage the device I wanted to try.

Do not use 12V.