IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, desperately hope someone can help me!

I've been using Roon into a uRendu and Gieseler Klein DAC for a few months now and everything was sweet. Last night I switched my Roon output to a headphone DAC for a bit, and when I tried to switch back to the main system it wasn't showing up as an audio zone. For some reason it appears the Urendu is no longer "seeing" the DAC; in DAC Diagnostics it's simply not showing up. I've tried switching everything off/on but to no avail, and I've also tried with a different USB lead to no avail.

HELP!!!!

Cheers, Steve

On 6/21/2016 at 2:20 AM, bmrcc said:

Hi Jesus,

After software update, Mytek 192 DSD DAC USB2.0 cannot be found again.

I did try power cycle the Mytek and reboot the microRendu. So Mytek is powered ON when the microRendu boots up.

It was working fine with Mytek USB 2.0 before the software update.

Current SW version is still showing V2.1 and "nothing to do" now when I choose to update microRendu again and then "Back to main menu".

Could you please advice if anything related to this software update action?

DAC Diagnostics

No audio devices found. Attach a USB DAC to this system.

System settings – Custom DAC

Audio device list

Error in alsa-capabilities (v0.9.1): aplay did not find any soundcard.

Did we get a fix for this? It's exactly what mine is saying (with a previously-working Gieseler Klein DAC)?

Cheers, Steve

On 12/21/2017 at 10:36 PM, Wiffle said:

Hi All, desperately hope someone can help me!

I've been using Roon into a uRendu and Gieseler Klein DAC for a few months now and everything was sweet. Last night I switched my Roon output to a headphone DAC for a bit, and when I tried to switch back to the main system it wasn't showing up as an audio zone. For some reason it appears the Urendu is no longer "seeing" the DAC; in DAC Diagnostics it's simply not showing up. I've tried switching everything off/on but to no avail, and I've also tried with a different USB lead to no avail.

HELP!!!!

Cheers, Steve

This is the basic trouble shooting guide for this:

The Rendu needs to sees your DAC before it will show up in Roon. To verify if the Rendu sees yours DAC go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics. If the DAC is not listed you may have to remove and reconnect the USB cable, then refresh the page. If your DAC is still not listed try power cycling the DAC followed by power cycling the Rendu and then go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics. 

On 12/21/2017 at 10:57 PM, Wiffle said:

Did we get a fix for this? It's exactly what mine is saying (with a previously-working Gieseler Klein DAC)?

Cheers, Steve

It's not exactly same and in fact it's very different. That DAC requires that the operating system load its USB firmware when the unit boots. It's a mess to get it to work and It works on 2.3, but not on 2.5. 

14 hours ago, vortecjr said:

This is the basic trouble shooting guide for this:

The Rendu needs to sees your DAC before it will show up in Roon. To verify if the Rendu sees yours DAC go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics. If the DAC is not listed you may have to remove and reconnect the USB cable, then refresh the page. If your DAC is still not listed try power cycling the DAC followed by power cycling the Rendu and then go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics. 

14 hours ago, vortecjr said:

It's not exactly same and in fact it's very different. That DAC requires that the operating system load its USB firmware when the unit boots. It's a mess to get it to work and It works on 2.3, but not on 2.5. 

So, I've been through the basic trouble shooting guide many times in various orders, and even tried it with a different DAC; none of this worked and the MR failed to detect either DAC at any point. I was not saying in my previous post that the setup was exactly the same as the other poster's; simply that the error message was exactly the same.

I've been running the v2.5 software since it came out, and haven't had this problem up until now. But, taking a hint from Jesus' second post I reinstalled the 2.3 operating system; voila, and everything is now working fine.

From this the logical conclusion (to me at least) is that there is a problem/oversight/glitch in the 2.5 software that stops it from recognising some/all DACs from time to time. I hope the good folks at Sonore can look into this and address it in a software update (2.5.1?), as I do believe there is a sonic improvement in 2.5 which I would like to take advantage of at some point in the future. As it stands, all products running v2.5 are on my no-go list at the moment.

So; problem not solved, but worked around.

Merry Christmas folks! :-)

Rookie question:

If I wanted Roon on the Ultra Rendu I would need a computer running Roon Core and a Tidal account, but if I just wanted to use attached USB storage I would need to put the USB drive on my network, put a remote EERO like device with ethernet near my stereo and run ethernet cable to the Rendu, right?  Does the Rendu have any kind of player software associated with it or do I need to run a server to play what is on my USB drive?

Just trying to understand what "boxes" I need and where.  Thanks.

15 hours ago, Booster MPS said:

Rookie question:

If I wanted Roon on the Ultra Rendu I would need a computer running Roon Core and a Tidal account, but if I just wanted to use attached USB storage I would need to put the USB drive on my network, put a remote EERO like device with ethernet near my stereo and run ethernet cable to the Rendu, right?  Does the Rendu have any kind of player software associated with it or do I need to run a server to play what is on my USB drive?

Just trying to understand what "boxes" I need and where.  Thanks.

You only need a Tidal account if you want to stream Tidal's content. . .Tidal is merely a service that is integrated with Roon if you choose to use it.  You can stream Tidal without Roon.  Just wanted to make the distinction between the two.

The Roon core must be somewhere on your network.  This can be on a computer or a NAS.

Your music files must be either somewhere on the network like on a NAS, on the hard drive of the computer running the Roon core, or on a hard drive attached to that computer.

The UltraRendu has internal "player" options, one of which is "Roon Ready".  You long on to the UR and select that application.

My setup is just like you're describing.  In my office I have a Nuc i7 running ROCK with a USB hard drive attached.  The Nuc is attached via ethernet to a Netgear Orbi satellite (same thing as EERO).  In my living room, I have the Netgear Orbi router.  Ethernet out of the router to my UltraRendu.  Works like a charm.  

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +

On 11/1/2017 at 3:41 AM, lgp said:

I would also like to mention the reboot function in the web GUI System -> Reboot has never worked properly since the device just shuts down and never boots up again. This may not be related to the other problems I have.

On 11/1/2017 at 4:17 AM, JBNY said:

I don't think it works for anyone. Mine does the same thing since a few months after launch.

On 11/1/2017 at 6:22 AM, vortecjr said:

Don't spread silly rumors:)

This is me confirming the rumor, how silly it may be :) Fails every time on the microRendu. Works perfectly on the SonicTransporter. :confused:

24 minutes ago, Nepherte said:

This is me confirming the rumor, how silly it may be :) Fails every time on the microRendu. Works perfectly on the SonicTransporter. :confused:

Works just fine on UltraRendu running Sonicorbiter 2.5.

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +

15 hours ago, Wiffle said:

Shutdown/reboot didn't work on my MR running 2.5 either; just did nothing.

I will try the new kernel update after NYE; I'd like to have stress-free playback from 2.3 to see in the new year!

This kind of issue can only be fixed with firmware and not on the operating system. The unit would have to come in for service if you want it checked out. 

On 12/27/2017 at 12:16 AM, vortecjr said:

Try updating your unit since we released a new Kernel. 

Hi Jesus,

Just letting you know I tried updating the software through the UI, but unfortunately it still can't see my DAC, so I'm back to running 2.3.

Will this issue be addressed further in the 2.6 update? I love the idea of the upcoming MQA unfold, but of course it's pointless if it can't connect to my DAC...

Cheers, Steve

18 minutes ago, Wiffle said:

Just letting you know I tried updating the software through the UI, but unfortunately it still can't see my DAC, so I'm back to running 2.3.

An other solution to this is to bypass the USB interface of the DAC, and use the fantastic ultraDigital ?

Hi there

I posted this earlier in the main Sonore board but nobody answered :-(

A friend has a iFi nano iOne and is just about to bid for an original release uRendu on eBay.  I read in a review that "The Nano iONE is powered by any USB phone charger-type wall wart and a USB cable. "

In the chain I envisage, the uRendu will connect to the inbound music stream over ethernet, convert it into a low noise USB stream and then feed it to the iFi via its USB port.  Question is, does the iFi get its power supply from the uRendu (which in turn will be powered by iFi's Power wall wart power supply)?  Does this work, or are the two devices incompatible for this reason?

I tend to think they should be compatible because others on this forum seem to use iFi DACs together with uRendu.  But I would appreciate confirmation before my chum takes the next step.

Thanks

Nikko