IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

No...it can't tell them apart.

ok

If we want to verify, do we need to remove the screws and both front and back plate?

Or recommend just unscrew one of the plates? The front USB side plate is enough to see it’s the black v1.4 board?

24 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

ok

If we want to verify, do we need to remove the screws and both front and back plate?

Or recommend just unscrew one of the plates? The front USB side plate is enough to see it’s the black v1.4 board?

The Ethernet side is best to remove to slide out the board. 

On 19/07/2017 at 12:59 AM, barrows said:

I specifically need an actual cable, .7-1 meter.  Why will become quite clear momentarily.  I found with the microRendu a really good USB cable outperformed the short adapters.

Hi barrows I couldn't find your explanation of the importance of this very specific length range of 0.7 to 1.0 meter.

Can you share more on this, if you get a spare moment.

I've followed John's posts and I thought for best signal integrity, shorter is better. The impedance becomes more of an issue as USB cable length increases - as well as higher chance of errors as length increases. I obviously may have misinterpreted John's posts though. Happy to be corrected.

Many thanks.

That was because the introduction of the Signature Rendu SE was imminent, and to use that Rendu an actual USB cable (rather than super short adapter, etc) is necessary.  Additionally, as I was anticipating that the performance of the Signature Rendu SE was going to be off the charts, I felt the need to really dig into USB cables to find a really good one which would allow the SE to show its full performance.

So far, I am most happy with the Nordost Tyr USB cable, but wish I could get  my hands on a Valhalla 2 USB cable...   I also use the Sonore USB, which is very good as well.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

52 minutes ago, barrows said:

That was because the introduction of the Signature Rendu SE was imminent, and to use that Rendu an actual USB cable (rather than super short adapter, etc) is necessary.  Additionally, as I was anticipating that the performance of the Signature Rendu SE was going to be off the charts, I felt the need to really dig into USB cables to find a really good one which would allow the SE to show its full performance.

So far, I am most happy with the Nordost Tyr USB cable, but wish I could get  my hands on a Valhalla 2 USB cable...   I also use the Sonore USB, which is very good as well.

No problem, I first thought you were hinting there was something very specific about optimal cable length, the way some recommend for digital coax for example. 

I would assume for the microRendu which CAN sit behind a DAC, shortest cable/adapter is still the recommendation (for best SI) if the setup allows. 

Usually, most suggest the shortest cable is the best for USB.  I suggest experimenting in your system, I did not like the short adapter with the microRendu, but I did like the short(ish) Curious cable.

Of course, with the Signature Rendu SE I use a normal USB cable, and the right one does matter.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

17 minutes ago, barrows said:

Usually, most suggest the shortest cable is the best for USB.  I suggest experimenting in your system, I did not like the short adapter with the microRendu, but I did like the short(ish) Curious cable.

Of course, with the Signature Rendu SE I use a normal USB cable, and the right one does matter.

Understood. I guess I try and follow the designers recommendations (John’s) for getting the best SI to the DAC’s USB input . But we all like to tweak. The Curious cable did sound great in one system of mine and not so great in another. Since then I stuck to 90 ohm high speed certified (per John’s recommendation) and if I didn’t like the sound, it must be the DAC/amps/speakers/headphones .

Going to use the Uptone USPCB when the v1.4 board arrives.

• 5 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone knows whether the micoRendu will work with the Audioengine HD3's built-in DAC.  From what I gather, it has a 24/192 input capability.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

On 1/20/2018 at 6:46 PM, barrows said:

Hi, I am trying to select a USB cable for my new Signature Rendu SE. When I had a microrendu I used the short adapter. Prior to that I had tried the Curious cable but sold it when I got the Sonore short adapter since I thought it sounded as good if not better than the curious in my system.. I’m currently using an old printer cable and works pretty good with the Signature rendu se, I see you like the Nordost Tyr but when I looked it up I see it is over $1000!!! Any recommendations for me to use with the Signature rendu se in a more affordable range? I guess I shouldn’t be so cheap after shelling out $$$ for the Signature model but this seems a bit much to spend on a usb cable. Thanks for any recommendations.

Why not go back to the Curious then?  We also have the Sonore USB, it is excellent, and it is under $1K at least.  Do not ask me why it is not on the Sonore web page.

It has separated power and signal legs, and very special HS signal wiring, made to our specifications by Cardas.  There is a picture of it on the Sonore FaceBook page.

SONORE computer audio

18 minutes ago, barrows said:

We also have the Sonore USB

I never even knew you made such a cable.  Way beyond my price range.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Cool, it is on the website now...

SONORE computer audio

@lxgreen  I have beeen impressed with a USB cable from Your Final System.  It compares well to the HighEndPC cable everyone here was gushing about. (I have one of those too.)

Made by hand to order, with or without 5V, split, etc.   the guys are EEs that are (mostly) working in aerospace communications.   

And they are affordable.  Sorry, I just haven’t found the Cardas cables / wire worth the asking price.  Except Audio Advisor’s Pangea which seems to sell Cardas wire at a realistic price.  I haven’t tried any of their cables I just have seen that they use Cardas and have more realistic pricing.  

@vortecjr you mentioned you're still working toward release of Sonicorbiter 2.6.

Have you decided whether or not you will include MQA first unfold?  If 2.6 will include MQA support, do you plan to charge for it?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

On 22/02/2018 at 12:41 AM, vortecjr said:

We should have a few left...I’ll reset the count tomorrow. FYI when the run is sold out will most likely be discontinued. We only really made those to give people a chance to upgrade when the ultraRendu launched. 

So does that mean your are likely to discontinue the 1.4 board in the microRendu or just the 1.4 as upgrade?

On 3/8/2018 at 10:11 AM, Solstice380 said:

And they are affordable.  Sorry, I just haven’t found the Cardas cables / wire worth the asking price.  Except Audio Advisor’s Pangea which seems to sell Cardas wire at a realistic price.  I haven’t tried any of their cables I just have seen that they use Cardas and have more realistic pricing.  

The Sonore USB cable is entirely different design to anything offered by Cardas; it is specifically not just a re-branded Cardas product, but was designed to Sonore's specifications (after multiple prototypes were built and tested) to provide excellent performance with our products.  It would be a mistake to judge it based on the fact that is manufactured by Cardas.

SONORE computer audio

Received my microRendu back yesterday after sending it in for the 1.4 upgrade and a new card due to an update kernel panic. Lightning quick turnaround from Adrian.

Absolutley jaw dropping sound - I really didn’t expect it to be this much better or obvious. If anyone hasn’t done the 1.4 upgrade yet I would jump on it before the boards are gone. I feel like this is an endgame for me (famous last words) and have no desire to go to an Ultra if the 1.4 is getting me close, as others have said. Great job Sonore and thank you! 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab.