IGNORED

Curious Cables Configiurations Connections and Conversations (about)...

now I have moved to Samsung Pro 850 ssd external hard drive powered by uptone JS2 and connected with Curious - every step has been a marked improvement ( much to my surprise after getting the Nagra HD DAC) in detail, foundation and just plain musicality.

Hi Phil,

This is exactly what I have done for quite a time. I am using a LaCie 3,5´´ external HDD, powered by JS-2. So far I have replaced the standard USB cable by a Supra Cable. The SQ has improved a lot and it is not just decent differences that I can hear. So even this part of a chain is worth looking at. However using a silver core cable of a friend of mine has shown me, that there is even more to discover. As a result I am about to join the Curious Cables party.

Regards,

Uwe

• 2 weeks later...

I have Curious cable .8 and a link for sale. Maybe I do not have enough post to post in classified. 350.00 for both. The ground lead was customized by Rob at Curious so it can be disconnected if not wanted.

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

Thank you.... Never realized that.

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got about 23 hours run through the Regen-Link cables.

1. Laptop

2. Regen-Link 

3. Regen

4. Regen-Link 

5. Ifi Micro ilink USB-SPDIF 

There certainly have been some positive changes in the first 20+ hours. In the first 5-6 hours though, like somone mentioned earlier in this thread, 120-200hz sounded fuller...almost 'tubby' sounding. That went away overnight. 

Now, everything is sounding smoother from top to bottom. I'll continue to run WAV, FLAC and 320kbps files through them for the rest of the weekend. Then I'll go back to the hard adaptors I was using prior to the 'full loom' of curious cables.

I'm interested.....how many of the posters in this thread are still using their curious cables?

Well, I've just about made it to the 50 hour mark. Sounding great. :)

Based on additional reading since I got the Regen-Links, I'm thinking I'll just go for the 100 hour mark before I compare the full loom of Curious Cables to the hard adaptors I was using prior. :)

Ok....I've made it to the 100 hour mark. Yayyy.:D Time to do some comparisons.....

Removed the full loom of Curious Regen Links and went back to the hard adaptors I was using prior. Before I got the CCRL's, I compared the hard adaptors to all the other USB cables I have in house....that's including the Pangea Silver. It's the best one I've got but it's 12' long. The hard adaptors sounded better.

First impressions of putting the hard adaptors back in the system was that the soundstage was smaller. Very, very noticeable. Other than that, the sound isn't that much different. The full loom of Regen-Links is warmer, richer and smoother. No doubt about it. It is very easy to hear the difference but it's not drastic. If I wasn't locked into the sweetspot, I might not be able to discern a difference. 

Since I am off work this week, I'm gonna keep this going. I'll see if I can get over 150 hours run through the CCRL's. 

If this is as good as they get, they're keepers. I have to admit, I was really hoping for more and I'm somewhat left hanging here but maybe they need more burn-in. Another 'baby step' in the right direction.....hopefully with a little more burn-in that baby step will get bigger.

By the way, this is not through cans. It's through my main rig in a 19x13 room with an 11' equilateral triangle determining the sweetspot. Heavily treated room. Bass traps and absorption. No diffusors yet.....

8 minutes ago, SWL3600 said:

Ok....I've made it to the 100 hour mark. Yayyy.:D Time to do some comparisons.....

Removed the full loom of Curious Regen Links and went back to the hard adaptors I was using prior. Before I got the CCRL's, I compared the hard adaptors to all the other USB cables I have in house....that's including the Pangea Silver. It's the best one I've got but it's 12' long. The hard adaptors sounded better.

First impressions of putting the hard adaptors back in the system was that the soundstage was smaller. Very, very noticeable. Other than that, the sound isn't that much different. The full loom of Regen-Links is warmer, richer and smoother. No doubt about it. It is very easy to hear the difference but it's not drastic. If I wasn't locked into the sweetspot, I might not be able to discern a difference. 

Since I am off work this week, I'm gonna keep this going. I'll see if I can get over 150 hours run through the CCRL's. 

If this is as good as they get, they're keepers. I have to admit, I was really hoping for more and I'm somewhat left hanging here but maybe they need more burn-in. Another 'baby step' in the right direction.....hopefully with a little more burn-in that baby step will get bigger.

By the way, this is not through cans. It's through my main rig in a 19x13 room with an 11' equilateral triangle determining the sweetspot. Heavily treated room. Bass traps and absorption. No diffusors yet.....

I don't know by what mechanism the sound of cables would change after X number of hundreds of hours use, other than by expectation bias. I know if I paid $450+ for a couple of pieces of wire I would hope that they would sound better than $2 worth of hard adapters, too. I do hope the Curious cables work out for you, though. All's well that ends well.

Forgot to mention. The cables took 12 days to get from Australia into my hands in the US. Very cool.

They were packaged very well.

I really shouldn't have made it sound like I was left hanging with these cables. At this point, there are some subtle things with these cables that really make the music flow. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the structure of the music is changed. I agree. It's a smoothness that engages me into the music more than otherwise. 

I'm anxious to hear what happens in the next 50+ hours.

I didn't pay $450+.....don't know where you got that from?

I paid $120.00 each. ($240.00 total)

Yeah, they damn well better sound better than the cheap hard adaptors. However, in my system the cheap hard adaptors bested other cables in the house including the Pangea Silver.

Go figure....

6 minutes ago, SWL3600 said:

I didn't pay $450+.....don't know where you got that from?

I paid $120.00 each. ($240.00 total)

Yeah, they damn well better sound better than the cheap hard adaptors. However, in my system the cheap hard adaptors bested other cables in the house including the Pangea Silver.

Go figure....

I apologize, I didn't realize that you only had two REGEN links. The regular 0.8M to 2.0 M Curious USB cables sell for $340-$580 each.

• 2 years later...
On 1/22/2016 at 11:22 AM, Al Jones said:

I am currently waiting for a 28 cm Curious USB 3.0 for use from a USB HDD into my music PC. It promptly and predictably went straight into customs limbo when it arrived in Denmark 10 days ago.

@al jones: can you report on your experience with CURIOUS cable 3.0? using it as a lnk between HDD and PC/server/Streamer?

Transfer of files should be less sensitive to usb cable than streaming because usb mode is in bulk and allows data correction, but that is the theory ,who knows?

Please report on your experience,

Richard

I’ve moved on from USB storage to internal HDD in a Small Green Computer. The only USB in my system is a Mad Scientist Heretical with ground switches at both ends between my Sonore Signature Rendu SE and Magma/SOtM modified Singxer. Once signal is established, I disconnect the ground switch at both ends.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2019 at 4:40 PM, Allan F said:

I just ordered a Curious Evolved cable as well. I could find only one review online. It is from a high end audio site based in Slovenia, called Mono & Stereo. Curious Evolved USB Cable Review

Received my Curious Evolved USB cable today. Installed it and listened very briefly just to ensure that it works. Will report my impressions following some critical listening after it has about 150 hrs on it.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

• 2 weeks later...

The Curious Evolved USB cable is my new reference. The differences between the Evolved and the Standard USB cable are somewhat subtle, but nevertheless discernible and positive. There is greater inner detail, which shows in both the timbre and greater separation of instruments and vocal harmonies. One particularly favourable attribute that I noticed early on is longer decay. This was observed, for example, in more resonance from acoustic guitar and greater sustain from piano and cymbals. Because of the foregoing, the sound also tends to be somewhat fuller and more open and backgrounds appear to be quieter.

These are, of course, subjective observations and the perceptible effect of cable changes tends to be system dependent. But, for me in my system, the Curious Evolved USB cable is a keeper.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

On 11/2/2019 at 11:26 PM, Allan F said:

The Curious Evolved USB cable is my new reference. The differences between the Evolved and the Standard USB cable are somewhat subtle, but nevertheless discernible and positive. There is greater inner detail, which shows in both the timbre and greater separation of instruments and vocal harmonies. One particularly favourable attribute that I noticed early on is longer decay. This was observed, for example, in more resonance from acoustic guitar and greater sustain from piano and cymbals. Because of the foregoing, the sound also tends to be somewhat fuller and more open and backgrounds appear to be quieter.

These are, of course, subjective observations and the perceptible effect of cable changes tends to be system dependent. But, for me in my system, the Curious Evolved USB cable is a keeper.

I received my order last week of Curious Evolved 0.8 m and Evolved Regen Link.  I've been burning them in per the instructions on the web site.  I bought them to replace two Phasure Lush 2 cables, but I'll be sending them back for a refund.  The Lush 2 cables are just far better in my system.  There is a clarity and definition with the Lush that I am not getting with the Curious.

They are a very good USB cable, just not for me.

Colin