IGNORED

Curious Cables Configiurations Connections and Conversations (about)...

Hello All:

I decided to start a new thread for the Curious USB Cables where members can converse/post about configurations, connections and provide their assessments.

Please keep your posts on topic so the thread can serve as a resource for CA members interested in Rob Woodland's Curious Cables and various applications for the cables' use.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation re keeping the thread on topic. Comparisons are welcome with the CC as the focus. I don't want this thread to spin off on tangents, please.

I'll start off with the following: Curious about the posts from various members who are have prior experience with the CC (Curious Cables), and in particular, as a replacement for the hard adapter used to connect UpTone Audio's Regen to the USB input on the back on one's Dac and the positive assessments that followed, I decided to ignore my off-again/on-again chasing the technology Merry-Go-Round and get on.

In other words, I was inspired to procure the Curious Cable For Regen 200mm and discover for myself what the outcome for improved SQ would be.

Robert "Rob" Woodland the creator of Curious Cables is a friendly Soul and ordering is easy. In fact after placing my order on January 5th for $120. including shipping which appears to be "free", Rob shipped it on the 6th, the next day via AUS POST and included an email with a tracking number which let me know when the CCFR reached my area but nothing more. In other words, the shipment arrived in New Jersey across the Hudson where I live in NY on the 9th and remained in a facility in Hoboken for 5 days. My USPS person delivered it on the 15th with no notice that it had budged from Hoboken.

Unpacked the cable and given the temperature range in the Northeast, waited several hours for the CCFR to "warm up".

The presentation (the black box) is simple, neat, the CCFR arrived in excellent condition. A note accompanies the box. Nothing fancy. The CCFR is well fabricated and distinctive in appearance with yellow terminals and black/white shielding.

I'll cut to the conclusion as it's nearly 2:00 AM; and I am exhausted. There's no comparison between the hard adapter and the Curious Cable For Regen 200mm. What would make one even question this. The CCFR200mm inline with the LightSpeed to the Regen to the CCFR200mm to the W4S Dac2 DSDse without the AQJBX2 with Bill Evans' The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961, Disc 1-3, Live Performances, XLD conversion redbook to AIFF 44.1/16 stereo was marvelous. Dimensionality a key for me was discernible. That alone is enough to leave the CCFR in. Changing tracks to Art Pepper's Meets The Rhythm Section, DSD64, AP, excellent production, brought out the brightness I discern with the Regen. So I returned one AQJB in tandem with the LightSpeed which brought the brightness down a peg, but I feel took away from the CCFR200mm ever so slightly. Then I returned the AQJB to the empty USB output port next to the first USB port, and decided to leave them both inserted.

The Curious USB Cable For Regen 200mm is well worth employing and the cost is reasonable for the high quality SQ it contributes to rendering.

Actually, I like the CCFR200mm so much, I just ordered the 0.8m USB cable which adds an additional $340 to the cost. Looking forward to what having both Curious Cables in line will render. According to Rob Woodland, 50-100 hours brings out the best of the Curious Cables. By the time the 0.8m USB arrives I will have more hours than that for playtime for the CCFR200mm.

I have also ordered EJ Sarmento's Recovery USB Reclocker and I am looking forward to discovering what the Recovery brings to the SQ and dimensionality. The Regen certainly added great depth, width, instrument voicing and made a remarkable improvement, except for the brightness I experience that has to be tamed.

Thank you kennyb123 and his friend and the other CA members who are sharing our experiences with viable enhancements to the enjoyment of music, which, for me, is the highest priority.

The music's the thing; the equipment seduces.

Best,

Richard

Richard,

thanks for sharing your experiences. Did you try to use the CCFR as a normal USB cable without Regen or was that not possible because of the short distance? I am "curious" about your findings.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Richard,

thanks for sharing your experiences. Did you try to use the CCFR as a normal USB cable without Regen or was that not possible because of the short distance? I am "curious" about your findings.

Matt

Hello Matt,

As you rightly supposed, the Curious Regen Link 200mm is only seven (7) inches and my LightSpeed is 0.8m; and, therefore, it would not be possible. I did remove the AQJBX2 first and employed the LightSpeed sans AQJB to the Regen to the Curious Regen Link 200mm to the WYRED 4 Sound Dac2 DSDse (hard adapter also removed) with the Regen powered by UpTone Audio's JS-2 LPS and MMK installed. The difference was immediately discernible.

I was inspired by the dimensionality of the CCFR200mm or now CRL200mm (less letters - smile), as Rob Woodland refers to it, the instrument voicing, the vocal voicing, the soundstage width, length, so I ordered the 0.8m USB Curious Cable which Rob emailed last night following my order that he's fabricating and will ship next week, after this weekend, I guess.

Sorry, I can't provide you with those findings until I have the full loom of Curious Cables installed. If you're interested, the progression has been Synergistic Research Tricon USB Cable (hobbled by limitations to 44 frequency at the time unknown to me until it failed) which failed after upgrading my W4S Dac2 to W4S Dac2 DSDse, to Synergistic Research Active USB Cable SE to LightSpeed (0.8m, standard) and awaiting the Curious USB Cable 0.8m. With each change in USB cables, I discerned a better more favorable rendition of SQ. I favor Amarra Symphony with iRC, if that tells you anything. These cables in sequence worked so well to deliver the SQ I prefer. I expect that the Curious USB Cable full loom configuration will take the rendition of SQ even farther along that continuum of enhanced SQ.

I am still a bit disconcerted about replacing the LightSpeed which has served my enjoyment of the music admirably. But I am willing to discover what a full loom of Curious Cables will provide given the experience the CRL200mm started me off with.

Will the W4S Recovery USB Reclocker on order (estimated delivery beginning on January 22) in place of the Regen compliment the Curious Cable loom configuration? I will find out. Rob recommends 50-100 hours of playtime before the Curious Cable loom blossoms in degrees of dimensionality. The Wyred4Sound components and previous cables took 400 hours. The LightSpeed between 200 and 250 to blossom. The Regen is great but for me with all it delivers is accompanied by a too bright overtone along with the dynamics, and the AQJBX2 toned that brightness down without loss of dimensionality/3D dynamics. Other's have posted diametrically opposed results compared to mine. I never argue with perception. And, of course, my findings are subjective, but honest, and I trust my acuity discernment. I try to be as sensory specific as possible so others can compare their experience/findings with mine. If you visit the several threads I curate where I also publish my findings, you will find many members experience similar findings.

This may be more than you wanted. Sorry for the long post. Will probably have the full loom, i.e. Curious USB Cable 0.8m on or about,hopefully, January 30th.

Best,

Richard

Tou·ché . My curious cable usb in route to the USA and I should receive in just a few days. Rob was a pleasure to deal with. Fortunately when you read reviews by (5) independent and non-biased reviewers over just a few months (vs paid advertising in magazines) that are all as blown away as all of these experts were.. it was time to take the no brainer 30 day risk free transaction. Many have compared reference USB cables including starlight platinum, Lightspeed etc to curious and they were blown away and preferred the curious usb and by a fraction of the price. The others are 3-8x in price.

Even when you start to read the reviews from the happy non media customers too they all say the same wonderful things. Quite Amazing if you think about the fact that there are no two systems quite the same.

I will be using the curious direct from MacBook Pro 2015 to DAC no regen.

Will happily update thoughts over the next week after a few days of burn in.

I received my short Regen link and .8m Curious cables from Rob Thursday and have around 20 hours on them now. Configuration is TotalDac USB cable from computer to original Regen, .8m Curious cable to Regen Amber and then the Curious Regen link to my dac.

I'm really, really liking what I'm hearing so far both with my speaker setup and via headphones. The Curious cables are replacing a Wywires cable and a Synergistic cable (I preferred using both of these to the hard adapter that came with the Regen).

I'm hearing more body & detail/refinement, but with no loss of musicality. If the Curious cables improve as they settle in with more hours as has been suggested, I think I'm going to be very happy with their addition.

Randy

Tou·ché . My curious cable usb in route to the USA and I should receive in just a few days. Rob was a pleasure to deal with. Fortunately when you read reviews by (5) independent and non-biased reviewers over just a few months (vs paid advertising in magazines) that are all as blown away as all of these experts were.. it was time to take the no brainer 30 day risk free transaction. Many have compared reference USB cables including starlight platinum, Lightspeed etc to curious and they were blown away and preferred the curious usb and by a fraction of the price. The others are 3-8x in price.

Even when you start to read the reviews from the happy non media customers too they all say the same wonderful things. Quite Amazing if you think about the fact that there are no two systems quite the same.

I will be using the curious direct from MacBook Pro 2015 to DAC no regen.

Will happily update thoughts over the next week after a few days of burn in.

Richard,

thanks a lot. The reason why I asked this question is a review from MONOandStereo where they gave the CCFR the edge over the longer CC cables:

Mono and Stereo High-End Audio Magazine: Curious USB cable review

Looking forward to your experiences with the complete CC-Regen-CC setup.

ATB

Matt

Hello Matt and tallica1,

Thank you for your posts and thoughts.

Matt as you may know the reviewer at Mono and Stereo High-End Audio Magazine is a CA member. And a good Soul. I can attest for that. I mentioned that as he and I have exchanged perspectives. In my opinion, it takes a thoughtful, good Soul to sort what the music makes one feel as a criterion for what a component, device or cable delivers. And I have expressed that perspective since joining CA as a member in 2011.

From my perspective, it's what you feel about the music that validates what the change/addition to one system provides. So for me it's not only how it sounds but what it feels like and the reviewer, it's clear, feels the same way.

Thank you for the reference. I actually saw the reference to that review at the Curious Cable.com's website, but at 2:00AM, I was intent on purchasing. Now having read the review, I can concur with the reviewer's assessment of the CRL200mm, as Rob Woodland describes the cable, and what it brings to the enhancement of the SQ and thus the enjoyment of music.

Obviously, I can't comment on what a full loom of Curious Cables brings until the 0.8m cable arrives. Given Rob is fabricating it and will ship it next week. It shouldn't be too long before I can share my experience of the full loom. It serves no purpose to speculate, but I can't imagine how one cable adds to and the other cable of different length but of same construction does not match the same performance.

What attracted me to following through with a full loom are the criteria that matches my own highly-desired criteria, to wit: Curiosity and Creativity with auditory characteristics of dimensionality thrown in. As a child, I was very inquisitive and, therefore, asked a lot of questions which apparently annoyed some members of family who told me I talked too much. Can a four year old talk too much? At eight, I was following a mailman around out in Glen Cove Long Island, asking him a thousand questions, and then in a moment of self reflection apologized for talking too much. His response to me, which I have never forgotten (obviously) was, paraphrasing, No, you don't talk too much, you're curious...

Now that I have several hours of sleep (not cumulative but necessary), I booted my Mac Mini, launched HQPlayer then roon, selected Art Pepper's Art Pepper Meets The Rythmn Section, Acoustic Sounds DL, DSD64, and listened intently. Holy Shitaki mushrooms, I am finally hearing the synergy of LightSpeed to Regen to CRL200mm to my W4S Dac2 DSDse with HQPlayer and roon integrated and playing a DSD64 album, which, if roon is listening, plays with so many disconnects after updating to 1.1.94, I am ready to scream "Enough of this". It's recoverable, but truly takes away from the experience.

How I experience that change from hard adaptor to CRL200mm for the first time, I am hearing Art Pepper with an intonation, cadence, phrasing that I thought I was listening to Paul Desmond playing. But please don't think for a moment, I am not appreciating both Art Farmer's technique and musicality. I am not. And have a dozen of Pepper's albums. What I am getting at is that the voicing of the instrument, the tonality, the PRaT, the resolution has been rendered with a refinement as I have not experienced before. That quiet, neutral background that Rob refers to is so. The dimensionality which is so apparent and apt and absolutely essential to my full enjoyment has arrived to date at a level I have not experienced before, As good as the LightSpeed is, once one adds the Regen and the supplied connectors, the signal/data etc. has to be affected by what's in the chain.

Bits are bits crowd need not apply. Please don't. Start your own thread and flame me to your heart's content there BUT not here. Do you hear me.

roon on it's own, as it does sometimes, inexplicably as I didn't click on anything that should account for what is happening right now but which I am thoroughly enjoying is on what (?) radio mode. After completing the Art Pepper album I selected, roon kept playing from library tracks from albums similar to the Art Pepper i.e. Mulligan, Stan Getz, and given I have close to 8500 albums and still ripping, I could be in for a long session.

My point is that I am letting roon/HQPlayer reveal my albums tracks now with CRL200mm in the chain, and I am now able to discern what, Hello Charlie Parker, who needs TIDAL HIFI (which I subscribe to) these various artists and compliment musicians sound like with the changes. And the result is marvelous.

It's still a bit bright for my sensibilities and tastes in SQ, which was there before the CRL200mm, and manifested after the Regen was installed.

I am now listening to a vocal with Gerry Mulligan and I just looked at the Signal Information that roon provides, and HQPlayer has up sampled the Mosaic Box Set of Gerry Mulligan that was playing to DSD128 from PCM redbook. Now Zoot Sims.

The background is starkly quiet and black. I know these are words of art applied to sensory perception, but that's what I am hearing and sticking to it.

Perhaps, it's time to end this epic post having, I believe conveyed my absolute adoration of the change I made by employing the CRL200mm to replace the hard adapter kindly provided by UpTone Audio. I can recommend the CRL200ss without any hesitation. Rob Woodland offers a 30 day you know what so no one gets stuck who doesn't want to be.

I'll close with Stan Getz and Cal Tjader on vibraphone in a gorgeous rendition of "My Buddy" up sampled to DSD128. I wish you were hear to discern for yourself. So don't take my word for it, if so inclined, check it out for yourself.

Thank you again, kennyb123 and friend and other CA members. Having as Sid Caesar used to say as a jazz musician character, pleasantly plumbed to be with you.

The music's the thing; the equipment seduces,

Richard

I received my short Regen link and .8m Curious cables from Rob Thursday and have around 20 hours on them now. Configuration is TotalDac USB cable from computer to original Regen, .8m Curious cable to Regen Amber and then the Curious Regen link to my dac.

I'm really, really liking what I'm hearing so far both with my speaker setup and via headphones. The Curious cables are replacing a Wywires cable and a Synergistic cable (I preferred using both of these to the hard adapter that came with the Regen).

I'm hearing more body & detail/refinement, but with no loss of musicality. If the Curious cables improve as they settle in with more hours as has been suggested, I think I'm going to be very happy with their addition.

Randy

Hello Randy,

Welcome to the thread.

Thank you for your findings and configuration. Your assessment is music to my ears while awaiting delivery of the Curious Cable 0.8m.

It is so helpful to read your assessment which I concur with. I am sure it also helps other members as a resource of information about a product others experience that they might be considering or not formerly aware of.

I also had two Synergistic Research USB cables over the years as my preferred cable, The Tricon followed by the Active USB SE, replaced by the LightSpeed. And soon to be Curious Cable 0.8m if so inclined after it arrives.

Appreciate your input to the thread.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Thanks Richard. My Synergistic cable is also the Active SE (I prefer the black plug).

I'm a real fan of the body/texture that my TotalDac cable brings to the party, and the mixture with the Curious cables is giving my a nice result. I can't easily reconfigure to have only my Curious cables in the chain due to the distance from my server to the dac, but would like to try an 'all Curious' chain at some point.

Ah, roon through HQPlayer to DSD128 is playing picks from my own music library. I don't recall selecting that, but the Playlist roon is selecting is marvelous. I don't have to do a thing but enjoy the picks and the music.

I am mentioning this as a method for auditioning the CRL200mm and any other additions to one's system to assess the result. I have been listening now for about two (2) hours and am not only assessing the CRL200mm but adding those necessary hours of playtime to cure the Curious Cable recommended by Rob Woodland to breakin/burnin/love in.

Too soon by too many hours short of to assess the changes after 50 hours of playtime. But at the moment, I just appreciating not only the system but the depth of my library. I finally woke up and stopped getting up to see what was playing and launched the roon remote app which informed me play picks was in operation, artist and track title etc.

I will just leave the roon/HQPlayer playing for the next day or so and get close to those 50 hours while I suffer through my music library. I like my cooking (I was a cook in the Army National Guard before they made me a medic -- I know) and I love my music library. Lunch was served a time ago, back to the music.

Best,

Richard

PS

For whatever reason, those incidents of disconnect have completely stopped. Music plays uninterrupted. Haven't a clue what triggers the disconnect and what rescues me from them. Grateful for the result.

Thanks Richard. My Synergistic cable is also the Active SE (I prefer the black plug).

I'm a real fan of the body/texture that my TotalDac cable brings to the party, and the mixture with the Curious cables is giving my a nice result. I can't easily reconfigure to have only my Curious cables in the chain due to the distance from my server to the dac, but would like to try an 'all Curious' chain at some point.

Hello Randy,

Understand. Even after the Curious Loom is assembled, and I post my findings, there''s no equivalence for one's own direct experience of the sonic quality that results. I gather there are many paths to good enough (which I never mean as a compromise) which, when I arrive at that assessment -- a desirable state -- I am happy. Then swear I am done. So far, I have made a liar (smile) out of myself several times over the years, all for the better. And for that I am grateful. Gratitude, Law of Spirit: What you're grateful for increases. Amen.

Good learning about your configurations and how you arrived there. Thank you for posting here.

Best,

Richard

My Curious Link finally arrived. USPS made some very odd routing choices to get it to me.

Even cold out of the box it's an improvement over the solid adapter that ships with the REGEN.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

My impressions of a 40cm CC?

First some context. I am a USB bottom feeder - I have only really experienced 'low end' USB cables (Wireworld Ultraviolet, Chord SilverPlus, Kimber CU with ferrites removed, Supra). So the Curious was a step up in price and expected performance. I have had it for three weeks and it is still unexpectedly changing subtly with burn-in. The change is that the good effects are more pronounced.

Good points are an unbeatable mid range - strong, clear with great soundstage and fantastic harmonics.

Negative points are that it sounds like the midrange is pushed too much. There is definite roll off in the highs and deep lows. At first the CC cable seems to clean up the top end. My previous favourite, the lowly Supra has far more air on the top end and much more linear bass down to 30hz. (I have 12" woofers) But the Supra has a more crunchy lower treble. Or that's what I thought. After swapping them around a few times, the Curious is just as crunchy in texture but the whole upper treble is diminished so much that the crunchy treble is just pushed out of 'sight' and the listening focus moves to that rich midrange. Then the bass. The CC bass sounds good on smaller speakers, but seems to have a push from 90-130hz. Below 80hz seems diminished, or does it seems that way because it's elevated around 100hz?

Anyway cycling through the cables above there is almost no standout winner for me, and each has its good and bad points. Wish I could have a combination of the Supra extension with the Curious mid range. All In My Opinion of course.

Of course for other people's musical tastes and requirements it might be the perfect cable.

Just to clarify my conclusion (I was on the train and 30 minutes expired so I couldn't edit my post). I didn't mean to imply that all of those budget cables were equal (eg the Ultraviolet is a non contender) only that each of the cables had good and bad points that the others didn't. Even that bottom of the range Kimber has a great harmonic mid range second only to the Curious!, only the Kimber is more murky and plodding.

Also note that I do have a Regen, but I am also in the minority who find it inferior to a direct connection.

My Curious Link finally arrived. USPS made some very odd routing choices to get it to me.

Even cold out of the box it's an improvement over the solid adapter that ships with the REGEN.

Hello Kenny,

Congratulations. At last. Now you can settle in and enjoy the cable and assess what it brings to your enjoyment of music. Feel free to add to your findings. I spent about 3 hours this afternoon listening to roon/HQPlayer/up sampling my albums to DSD128. I realize that picks was not responsible for continued play when the Art Pepper album concluded. Perhaps, during the disconnect, right clicking on the track that stopped and clicking on play from here initiated the radio play which then started playing like tracks throughout my music library; and I settled back and listened to the system with the CRL200mm inline to track after track uninterrupted as the disconnects stopped.

Keep us informed on your experiences.

Best,

Richard

Just to clarify my conclusion (I was on the train and 30 minutes expired so I couldn't edit my post). I didn't mean to imply that all of those budget cables were equal (eg the Ultraviolet is a non contender) only that each of the cables had good and bad points that the others didn't. Even that bottom of the range Kimber has a great harmonic mid range second only to the Curious!, only the Kimber is more murky and plodding.

Also note that I do have a Regen, but I am also in the minority who find it inferior to a direct connection.

My impressions of a 40cm CC?

First some context. I am a USB bottom feeder - I have only really experienced 'low end' USB cables (Wireworld Ultraviolet, Chord SilverPlus, Kimber CU with ferrites removed, Supra). So the Curious was a step up in price and expected performance. I have had it for three weeks and it is still unexpectedly changing subtly with burn-in. The change is that the good effects are more pronounced.

Good points are an unbeatable mid range - strong, clear with great soundstage and fantastic harmonics.

Negative points are that it sounds like the midrange is pushed too much. There is definite roll off in the highs and deep lows. At first the CC cable seems to clean up the top end. My previous favourite, the lowly Supra has far more air on the top end and much more linear bass down to 30hz. (I have 12" woofers) But the Supra has a more crunchy lower treble. Or that's what I thought. After swapping them around a few times, the Curious is just as crunchy in texture but the whole upper treble is diminished so much that the crunchy treble is just pushed out of 'sight' and the listening focus moves to that rich midrange. Then the bass. The CC bass sounds good on smaller speakers, but seems to have a push from 90-130hz. Below 80hz seems diminished, or does it seems that way because it's elevated around 100hz?

Anyway cycling through the cables above there is almost no standout winner for me, and each has its good and bad points. Wish I could have a combination of the Supra extension with the Curious mid range. All In My Opinion of course.

Of course for other people's musical tastes and requirements it might be the perfect cable.

Hello HumanMedia,

Welcome to the thread. Thank you for your assessment.

Appreciate your comments of the 40cm CC (approximately 15.748 inches). I concur with your sentence re good points. I am not able to assess what your other experiences of the bass and highs re roll off, as I don't know what it should sound like in order to make that assessment. Not disagreeing with you.

As for your comments about the Regen, i find them interesting as I have had mixed feelings about the Regen myself. I find it gives but also takes away. And in the way it gives, it also adds, for me, an element of brightness overall that I don't prefer. And furthermore, here is where I can agree with your assessment of highs and lows but I don't attribute it to the CRL200mm or your length CC. Before I inserted the Regen into the chain of components, the deep bass mid bass upper bass was spectacular. The Highs and midrange were also excellent. But after the Regen was added that low bass became muddled by comparison. I noted that right off. Yet other members commented that the bass response improved and some commented even tighter etc. Not my experience although the mid bass and upper bass was still very good. I think I know what you mean about the midrange being pushed but I don't know what is responsible for that. As for roll off of the highs, the brightness adds an edge that I still don't care for. So I attempted to tame that brightness with one then two AQJBs. i might add that there are times when I end of feeling as you do, that is, I was happy with the way my system sounded before the Regen. Except that the Regen did enhance dimension, sound stage depth and width, instrument/vocal voicing, instrument location etc. Would that amount to pushing the mid range?

When I removed the hard adapter, I also removed the AQJBX2. The background was clean and black as some refer to that experience. I attribute that to absence of EMI etc. as well. The CRL200mm kept it that way, or even deepened that experience which is a plus for me. It was pretty clean even before. I immediately appreciated the difference I felt (feelings are important to me just as what it sounds like -- what I hear makes me feel) but with the Regen I like what I hear for the most part, except the brightness makes me feel uncomfortable because I am thinking about the brightness and feeling it and not liking it. So I added back one AQJB which took the brightness down a peg, but I also felt it may have taken something away from what the CLR200mm brought. And I returned the second AQJB to take the brightness down even more.

The CRL200mm is staying. In my opinion, it's a keeper. I am waiting on delivery of EJ Sarmento's Recovery USB Reclocker so I can compare that to the Regen. My system as you can read from signature is essentially W4S components. I ordered the Curious Cable 0.8m so that I will have the full loom of Curious Cables and determine what that brings to the SQ and my feelings about the SQ. I can't speculate on what the Recovery will bring or whether the AQJB enhances or not depending on the synergy I choose. I imagine I will have to be willing to sort these changes and let go of what doesn't work. Change for the sake of change doesn't work for me. I was there before adding the Regen/JS-2LPS/MMK/AQJB and the subsequent changes have to get me back there or enhance what was without detracting.

In any case, thank you for your assessments and feel free to post with further comments on your experiences with Curious Cables if you have further comments to share.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

PS

Our subjective experiences are just that. All is valid, if that is what you hear/feel. In the end or along the continuum of change for the better, we make choices that align with what we prefer regardless of the consensus by Other. We are all different. And I respect that difference. Hence, I never argue with perception. Enjoyment of the music is the highest priority for me. That's my beginning however many times it takes to start get there.

Took delivery of a 20cm CC Regen Link early last week. Have about 90 hours on it at this point. Once it's passed the 100 hour mark I will do some comparisons and experimenting. Using an Auralic Aries and a .7m Supra USB from it to the Uptone Regen. I've a self imposed $150 limit on USB cables and the Supra in the best I've found so far, and at half that cost. The CCRG (Curious Cable Regen Link) feeds into a Lampizator Level 4 Gen5 DAC (which I LOOOVE, BTW).

Working strictly from aural memory, I'd say that the CCRG has taken my USB playback to a heightened level. Will be interesting when I start playing with things. Two AQ Jitterbugs I purchased have been out of the system for quite some time. I felt, ultimately, that even one of them smoothed things out too much for my taste and took some "life" out of the music. Will have to revisit that situation also.

Since both the Aries and Lampi have both USB and RCA/SPDIF connections I have the option of using either for PCM up to 24/192. After careful comparison, I have preferred to use RCA for PCM and defer to USB for DSD out of necessity. The RCA/SPDIF connection just sounds better, more like music, to me even compared with the tricked out USB connection. I HAVE NOT done this comparison since the CCRL has been in place so this experiment is also on my "To Do" list.

Interesting Dialog for sure. Remember there is a 30 day money back free guarantee if your not satisfied with the curious USB cable from Australia...regardless which almost nobody does in the reference audio business. With that said my curious usb has almost arrived. I will be using this as a direct pure connection to the Auralic Vega dac to MacBook Pro with no 5V since the Vega does not require the 5V. I am quite confident that the plethora of extraordinary positive reviews will be justified.

Stay tuned.

DAR Review was Eric said it all.

6 moons.

etc.

http://www.curiouscables.com/media-reviews.html

Interesting Dialog for sure. Remember there is a 30 day money back free guarantee if your not satisfied with the curious USB cable from Australia...regardless which almost nobody does in the reference audio business. With that said my curious usb has almost arrived. I will be using this as a direct pure connection to the Auralic Vega dac to MacBook Pro with no 5V since the Vega does not require the 5V. I am quite confident that the plethora of extraordinary positive reviews will be justified.

Stay tuned.

DAR Review was Eric said it all.

6 moons.

etc.

Curious Cables - Usb Cables

Yes, Rob Woodland's return policy is a grand gesture and comforting to know one is NOT stuck. Although, I hate returning expensive items unless they break new out of the box.

I read those reviews before purchasing the 0.8m. Rob makes them readily available at his website with links to the reviews. I always appreciate what professional reviewers have to say knowing that ultimately my experience is the best review in real time with my own ears and kinesthetic feedback.

I also received an email in response to my consideration of another purchase to accomplish the full loom from Rob Woodland assuring me of his 30 day return policy and advising me to take one step at a time. Of course, he's admonition is one I would naturally have followed, yet I appreciated his good counsel.

My prescription for changing what is: First, assess the CRL200mm. Then, if so inclined, complete the loom with the 0.8m. It didn't take long for the Curious Cable to convey an SQ I could readily enjoy. Despite the admonition from the Mono&Stereo.com Magazine reviewer, who is also a member of CA and posts here from time to time, I was /am eager to assess what advantage, if any, a full loom accomplishes.

Hopefully, this thread will serve as a reliable source for CA members to learn from other CA members what our subjective experiences have been as feedback to help one sort out the pluses and minuses of employing a Curious Cable.

Best,

Richard

My Curious cables arrived this past week. Probably have 25 hours on the .8 m cable while the short one is awaiting the arrival of a Regen. The cable was an immediate upgrade over the Virtue Audio usb I have been using. Not sure I have noticed much significant change since I installed the cable - will have to put the Virtue or also have a Wireworld back in later this week.

Mine is feeding a standard dell laptop into an M2Tech Evo converter which then feeds my Lampizator dac. Once Regen arrives this week will be interesting to see how far my digital goes. Right up there with my turntable and vinyl setup now and with Tidal/Roon I may never buy another record or cd for that matter.

Looking forward to reading more...

My Curious cables arrived this past week. Probably have 25 hours on the .8 m cable while the short one is awaiting the arrival of a Regen. The cable was an immediate upgrade over the Virtue Audio usb I have been using. Not sure I have noticed much significant change since I installed the cable - will have to put the Virtue or also have a Wireworld back in later this week.

Mine is feeding a standard dell laptop into an M2Tech Evo converter which then feeds my Lampizator dac. Once Regen arrives this week will be interesting to see how far my digital goes. Right up there with my turntable and vinyl setup now and with Tidal/Roon I may never buy another record or cd for that matter.

Looking forward to reading more...

Hello David,

Welcome to the thread.

You may have already read at this thread or elsewhere that Rob Woodland recommends 50-100 hours of playtime for the Curious Cable to blossom. This information is also available at his website.

I am looking forward to your assessment of the what the Regen brings to your system. And what the combination of the Regen and the Curious Regen Link 200mm (is that what you purchased?) together brings to your system.

In my experience with components and cables, with burnin/breakin/something in there are plateaus where change takes place in the sonic quality then stops, then resumes until it loosens up, relaxes and voila, the cable's sonic quality blossoms. Of course I am relating my experience. And I have heard my experience mirrored by others who employ the same equipment, provided one's sensory acuity discerns the change.

In any case, looking forward to your findings when you ready to report back to the thread, if you should care to. Good fortune with arrival and application of cable and equipment.

Best,

Richard

Hello All:

I was surprised to find an email with the tracking number for my purchased Curious USB Cable 0.8m a few days ago. Apparently, Rob Woodland who emailed me he would get to my order and ship "next week" has already done so. Apparently, a day a head (isn't that so?) of me, as Spanky McFarland said to Darla, both of The Little Rascals in the Our Gang comedies, "Darla, the dress is in the bag..." Anyone old enough to remember the characters from Our Gang Comedy?

In any case, I should have the remaining Curious Cable to complete the full loom in 7-10 days. Perhaps in time for the delivery of the W4S Recovery USB Reclocker scheduled to ship on or about January 22nd.

I am looking forward to discovering what a full loom sounds like. To be continued when the CC0.8m arrives. Thank you, Rob, for the great service.

Best,

Richard

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hello All:

I was surprised to find an email with the tracking number for my purchased Curious USB Cable 0.8m a few days ago. Apparently, Rob Woodland who emailed me he would get to my order and ship "next week" has already done so. Apparently, a day a head (isn't that so?) of me, as Spanky McFarland said to Darla, both of The Little Rascals in the Our Gang comedies, "Darla, the dress is in the bag..." Anyone old enough to remember the characters from Our Gang Comedy?

In any case, I should have the remaining Curious Cable to complete the full loom in 7-10 days. Perhaps in time for the delivery of the W4S Recovery USB Reclocker scheduled to ship on or about January 22nd.

I am looking forward to discovering what a full loom sounds like. To be continued when the CC0.8m arrives. Thank you, Rob, for the great service.

Best,

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23542[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]23543[/ATTACH]

Hi Richard

i have had the full loom in place now since around late October early November 2015, my initial impressions 30 hours I emailed Rob Woodland as follows:-

The CC loom by the way replaced Supra USB and AQvox link

"

I have what I think is quite an important observation, when first hearing the Curious cables as an end to end solution. When I replaced Supra - no contest. But when I replaced the Aqvox links with the Curious, the sparkle and life appeared to go??

I pursued with the Curious replacing the AQvox, and thought I should keep your cables in place and get used to the sound signature and switch back to the Aqvox in a few weeks when I had run your cables in. I have worked out the last time I had a similar dichotomy when using a new component in the audio chain. That was when I put a Zodiac master clock in the digital chain with my Antelope DAC. The music sounded slower? Your cables do a similar thing. Of course the music is not slower, timing/beat/rhythm is exactly the same. But the resolution the cable brings to the audio performance is the whole musical structure is more easily defined, less taxing for the brain to listen to.

I described the Antelope 10m clock as a bit of a time machine, in that the DAC on its own sounds wrong without the clock. I will hedge bets now, your cable does the same thing when I switch out your cables in a few weeks"

It's been over two months and well to be honest I forgot about putting the AQVox in to compare with the CCRL. The full loom over time just grows on you....I must get around to swapping back and seeing if my assessment changes, but I keep getting lost in the music.

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

I have had both .8 and Regen link since early December and I am very happy with them. Similar comments to what others have said, but Evo1668's comment above about the music "slowing" and why makes sense to me. The presentation of music and preservation of ambience/recording acoustic is the biggest highlight for me. I also did not feel the need to a/b...

Here is a cable porn pic:

.ImageUploadedByComputer Audiophile1453170981.333115.jpg

Hi Richard

i have had the full loom in place now since around late October early November 2015, my initial impressions 30 hours I emailed Rob Woodland as follows:-

The CC loom by the way replaced Supra USB and AQvox link

"

I have what I think is quite an important observation, when first hearing the Curious cables as an end to end solution. When I replaced Supra - no contest. But when I replaced the Aqvox links with the Curious, the sparkle and life appeared to go??

I pursued with the Curious replacing the AQvox, and thought I should keep your cables in place and get used to the sound signature and switch back to the Aqvox in a few weeks when I had run your cables in. I have worked out the last time I had a similar dichotomy when using a new component in the audio chain. That was when I put a Zodiac master clock in the digital chain with my Antelope DAC. The music sounded slower? Your cables do a similar thing. Of course the music is not slower, timing/beat/rhythm is exactly the same. But the resolution the cable brings to the audio performance is the whole musical structure is more easily defined, less taxing for the brain to listen to.

I described the Antelope 10m clock as a bit of a time machine, in that the DAC on its own sounds wrong without the clock. I will hedge bets now, your cable does the same thing when I switch out your cables in a few weeks"

It's been over two months and well to be honest I forgot about putting the AQVox in to compare with the CCRL. The full loom over time just grows on you....I must get around to swapping back and seeing if my assessment changes, but I keep getting lost in the music.

Hello Evo1668,

Welcome to the thread.

You had me at "hello" Sort of like reading a mystery novel, not sure what to expect at the end (that's a good thing). I love happy beginnings. It sounds like over time you have accomplished a very important element of change, to wit: In order to make change, to make it happen, one has to let it happen. Given your state of change i.e. "...getting lost in the music." I hope no one attempts to find you unless you wish it so.

Your outcome would be mind (mine, pun intended) over matter. As I have been professing since 2011 when I started into computer audio, how it sounds to me is important, but so is how it sounds makes me feel.

Getting lost in the music would be my preferred destination, rather than being distracted by thinking about what's not right or not good which is highly undesirable. Obviously, on the way to that destination, we have to discern what the difference is that makes the difference, and once we get it right, enjoy it.

Thank you for your post. I don't have the advantage of having heard a full loom on my system in advance. I made a decision or a calculation which I was willing to endorse before trying out in real time. Waiting to serve myself the proof of the pudding.

To be continued in about 5 or 6 more days.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with/for the rest of us.

Best,

Richard