IGNORED

Curious Cables Configiurations Connections and Conversations (about)...

Dear Richard

All the best for fighting the snow storm in NY ;=)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23708[/ATTACH]

Best KnockKnock

Hello KnockKnock,

Welcome to the thread.

Here comes the Sun...(snow fall has ceased and the sun is out.) Now how to get out of my driveway (smile).

Thank you for your review.

Best,

Richard

Richard - I've put several hours on my Curious Cables since receiving last Tuesday. Can't stop listening! Windows 10 (HP) > Curious .8 m > Regen > Curious link > NAD C 510 DAC. The full loom has improved significantly over the week. At first it seemed to shrill on the high end. But now that's totally dissipated. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with this setup. Finally, my setup sounds like an analog hi-fi home stereo setup. I can't tell you how many "wow" moments I've had.

I'm glad you got your new cable and you will hear big improvements in the coming days!

Spence

Richard - I've put several hours on my Curious Cables since receiving last Tuesday. Can't stop listening! Windows 10 (HP) > Curious .8 m > Regen > Curious link > NAD C 510 DAC. The full loom has improved significantly over the week. At first it seemed to shrill on the high end. But now that's totally dissipated. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with this setup. Finally, my setup sounds like an analog hi-fi home stereo setup. I can't tell you how many "wow" moments I've had.

I'm glad you got your new cable and you will hear big improvements in the coming days!

Spence

Hello Spence,

Thank you for your latest report. I am finishing up the 2nd day of non-stop play using iTunes on my Mac Mini in repeat mode. By Monday Morning should have well over 50 hours of cumulative playtime. Enough hours to assess the Full Loom again since the CC08m arrived and was added to the chain with the CRL200mm.

Happy to learn that you are highly satisfied with your purchases. In my experience with new USB cables often the early experience includes a dull/flat tight/contained sound. And over time with additional hours, one can feel the cable loosening up. Relaxing. The sound takes on a more dynamic (not shrill or bright) but vivid, 3D And these characteristics develop in prominence. It''s discernible. Or it is for me.

And apparently it is for you using your own descriptors as would be expected. I am glad for you. Anything that inures to your enjoyment of the music has to be a highly-desired outcome.

Look forward to joining you in experiencing what the Full Loom delivers after sufficient hours of playtime. I recall my former USB cables took up to 400 hours, with different stages of sonic quality, before, the it settled down and reach a plateau of sorts. Actually those plateaus happened several times over the breakin period. One can feel the sound relaxing over time in various stages.

The same experience for my Wyred4Sound components.

Thank you for your findings and for supporting me in the discovery of mine.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Hi Richard

I must say I'm awaiting your findings with a great deal of interest.

This is because my current USB cable chain is a mixture of two Curious links (0.2 and 0.5 meter) and a lightspeed Harmonic (red) main cable.

Ive both the Intona and and the Regen in place, the two are connected with the LSH cable. The short CC cables connect the MacBook to the intona and the regen to the DAC.

I know much of this will be system dependent, but your findings will help me decide whether to go CC throughout my chain or not. And for this I sincerely thank you.

In my system the CC regen link was a nice improvement over the hard regen adapter. The intona and 0.5 meter link went in together, so it is difficult to know what did what, but together the effect was huge. Based on this alone I found it hard to justify purchasing a CC 0.8 meter cable. Your review will certain help.

Again thanks for starting this thread, I enjoy your writing and value your opinions.

Barry

Richard: Your findings are greatly appreciated! Couple of things.

(1) Primarily what format is the majority of your music that you listen to?

(2) I would also like to understand how you came to Amarra,Audivana,Bit Perfect combo with additional tweaks?

Thank you in Advance.

Hi Richard

I must say I'm awaiting your findings with a great deal of interest.

This is because my current USB cable chain is a mixture of two Curious links (0.2 and 0.5 meter) and a lightspeed Harmonic (red) main cable.

Ive both the Intona and and the Regen in place, the two are connected with the LSH cable. The short CC cables connect the MacBook to the intona and the regen to the DAC.

I know much of this will be system dependent, but your findings will help me decide whether to go CC throughout my chain or not. And for this I sincerely thank you.

In my system the CC regen link was a nice improvement over the hard regen adapter. The intona and 0.5 meter link went in together, so it is difficult to know what did what, but together the effect was huge. Based on this alone I found it hard to justify purchasing a CC 0.8 meter cable. Your review will certain help.

Again thanks for starting this thread, I enjoy your writing and value your opinions.

Barry

Hello Barry,

Welcome back.

Sounds like (pun intended) you've configured a synergy, creative and slightly different from typical configurations employing fine devices/components, though I am not aware of the other delivery system, i.e. Dac, preampl(?), amps, speakers. If you'd care to inform us, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your kind words. Members sometimes find fault with me and because I tend to be wordy, but I enjoy clarifying my experience and prefer a style that is not inhibited or circumspect, unless brevity is indicated.

And yes, I imagine, system dependent assessments are a rule, hence, one member falls in love with a cable and another member falls out of love. A line of Beatles' lyrics just flashed through my awareness.

I'll do my best to offer you and the thread sensory specific findings which while subjective may clarify the conclusion I reach. Sometimes members apply a template of sorts which represent their deeply held beliefs and anything that doesn't fit that template is suspect or discounted with a variety of bias oriented counters to impeach the validity of another member's experience.

Hence, I never argue with perception. Which works both ways, i.e. I will accept another's experience and offer mine with the same expectation not as an absolute but with a sincere effort to convey my experience accurately.

I also appreciate that you are mindful as I am of appreciating the complexity of what contributes what. Hence, my strategy to do the following: Once I reach the incipient threshold for breakin hours according to Rob Woodland, i.e. 50-100 hours; and once I receive the W4S Recovery USB Reclocker (I am fortunately one of the early adopters who will receive one of the first run of Recovery builds abbreviated in number because a third party supplier disappointed EJ Sarmento by shorting the number of expected parts promised), I will remove the Regen, the CRL200mm and the AQJBX2 from my configuration, leaving just the CC08m and begin an assessment (taking notes along the way). And then begin to add one element at a time to the equation for my configuration, i.e. the Regen and the CRL200mm and assess those additions to the Whole (the sum of the parts); the remove the Regen and replace it with the Recovery USB Reclocker; then add one AQJB in tandem with the CC08m, Recovery, CRL200mm (I already know what the Regen/hard adapter with AQJB then with AQJBX2 delivered regarding sonic quality); then with the AQJB/CC08m/AQJB in the adjoining Mac Mini Output USB port (standalone) with Recovery/CRL200mm.

With this project design, I am hoping to differentiate what each addition to the equation produces as the Whole is the sum of the parts; and I want to confidently assess the difference that makes the difference with the given that no matter how discriminating I am, my discernment may be qualified as a subjective exercise, littered with expectation bias, devoid of measurements from a member who as one member described me as evangelistic, drinking the kool-aid with skin in the game. I left our Schill for any and all the products I favor in the threads I curate which include Wyred4Sound, Sonic Studio's products, and now Curious Cables. Quilty as charged for my enthusiasm but only in so far as a CA members whose love of music is my medicine, the products are magical in my use of, and the results are miracles as repeatable. Hence the threads are my way of expressing my gratitude (Law of Spirit for Gratitude: What you are gratefu for increases).

Barry you have also raised my curiousity (not the cables, one of my signature strengths) about the Intona, I may consider sometime in the future adding one to my configuration based on yours and other member's high regard for what it delivers. The only way to find that out is to check it out.

I greatly appreciate your support in discovering what certain products contribute to the Whole. And I promise to deliver the sum of the parts in a cogent, comprehensive, honest assessment for my part. What members choose to do about that assessment, if anything, is their province.

Please feel free to visit and post and keep us informed with the results of your own enthusiasm which you succeed in conveying to us.

With appreciation (a corollary of gratitude) smile.

Richard

Richard: Your findings are greatly appreciated! Couple of things.

(1) Primarily what format is the majority of your music that you listen to?

(2) I would also like to understand how you came to Amarra,Audivana,Bit Perfect combo with additional tweaks?

Thank you in Advance.

Hello tallica1,

Thank you for your kind words. I do enjoy sharing with you and the other members what results arrive when employing a configuration that either delivers highly-desired results or other.

To answer your inquiries:

1. 99.9% of my files as AIFF format. With DSD (64, 128, can't get 256 to play reliably as my Mac Mini apparently doesn't have the horsepower despite being an i7, 2.7GHz, 16GB, Thunderbolt edition, mid 2011 edition). If you allow me, the reason for this choice which conveniently begins to answer your second inquiry is that when I started into computer audio in 2011, I visited all the software creators' website seeking eat their requirements were, and also their FAQ pages on their website to seek their recommendations for what promoted using their software. With no experience, I just started somewhere. That somewhere began with Pure Music. Rob Robinson offered up his recipe for what promoted/favored a better configuration. AIFF format or WAV was indicated among several other recommendations. I then visited Sonic Studio, where I read the same recommendation and a host of other do's and don'ts. I adopted the do's and avoided the don'ts. I then visited all the websites for the software players. And then read reviews for everything I needed to know about so that I could make an informed decision about what worked well with what and what the reasons for that conclusion were. Still it's a crap shoot without direct experience. But that's difficult to accomplish for everything I was interested was not easily available or not at all.

I am taking your time in relative this to you because, I followed those admonitions of the creators many members rail against and their products for being substandard. Consequently, in following their admonitions, I don't have the problems with software that many do. I got lucky that way. Of course, when things get broken by a build or update, I am in the club with us all. Otherwise, my choice of components and the synergy I created not only delivers the enjoyment of music, it also is mostly immune to problems unless as I said are global.

2. In 2011, a complete tyro who knew almost nothing about computer audio except that I wanted to know about computer audio as I was so displeased with the conventional AV receiver, CD player, DVD player or combination, Laser Disc combos, and having to store, find, press open, insert the media, press play, and put back...You got it, right?

I stumbled on HDtracks.com and noticed that they were offering a 10% discount if software was purchased through them. Furthermore, I was unwilling to download trials for two weeks and then they were gone. How to compare them reliably? How could I determine which software player I favored the best? Doesn't take a genius to do what I did. I bought them all so that I could spend as much time as needed, starting with Pure Music which I read about and was highly reviewed. I downloaded some albums from HDtracks.com and was able to save 10% off the $125 fee. Pure Music was merely and arbitrarily the first program. And as a tyro, I was overwhelmed with setting it up as there are many choices. So I called the company and lo and behold Rob answered, and to my surprise, he helped me set up Pure Music the way he recommended. In doing so he gave me insights to which USB input to use based on what was populated, the importance of high speed internal hub, the importance of storing music files on an external harddrive and not on the main drive in my Mac Mini. On connecting the storage device with a different connection than the one used to connect one's Dac, i.e. USB, so I employed FireWire.

Then I bought Decibel. Then BitPerfect, Then Fidelia before there was an two-tier program, the BitPerfect. Then Audirvana which was just emerging and before there was a Plus. BitPerfect back then was $4.99. And, if I recall, Audirvana was free. The last was Amarra Full (as it was know then, now Amarra Symphony thereafter). It was Sonic Studio's flagship program and it cost $695 US. Yikes! I knew nothing about it save what reviews claimed. Never heard it. Could have downloaded a trial. I didn't. I just said, what the heck, and bought it. Spent hours with each program.

But, going from one program to another, I could easily discern the differences. Some were harder to differentiate at first. But clearly a hierarchy evolved in short time. And then I started up Amara Full. Apparently, I had unwittingly, saved the best for last. Yes, Pure Music was very good. The other programs (there was no JRMC at the time) were enjoyable be themselves. But Amarra Full was love at first sight/sound.

I was so enthused, I sent them a review and was asked if they could publish my review for their website and any other medium. I said only if I had the final edit. Never heard back from them. But I remained so enthused, in my heart, I wanted to give back. Sounds smulchy. I emailed them of my interest in being a beta tester (what did I know about software players? Nothing!) They were gathering candidates to beta test. I was added to the list to my surprise. You might gather from this post alone, that my beta test reports which were published on a list serv so the group of us saw each other's reports were a bit more detailed (as in a lot). I was also a bit forward and irreverent but with humor, and I told related my experience with candor. At some point, I was removed from the list serv and reported directly to the Oracles. I use my advantage to help CA members to whom my first loyalty remains, but I do have an affection for the product and the producers. Some members don't get me. But that's their problem.

As for tweaks, I am trying to understand that you mean by that. For example, over the years, I learned that certain alpha numeric symbols were not tolerated by the program. Foreign letters with their accents (some of them) caused problems. The major tweak, if it is one, is to have chosen AIFF which is preferred. To keep connections to Dac and storage different. Now I use Thunderbolt connections to my storage devices exclusively accept for one FireWire connected external harddrive to back up my main drive in my Mac Mini, which has been for some time now an SSD drive I installed on my own. Alex Crespi of UpTone Audio and a long standing member at CA has advised me that better than as SSD is a Flash Drive for its advantages (noise etc) that favors the system and the delivery of music data/signal integrity that his Regen also adds to.

I employ BitPerfect's DSDMaster to convert DSD files to 352.8 ALAC hybrid files so that I can play them on my auxiliary system which employs KEFX300A self powered and proprietary Dacs limited unfortunately to 96/24. But in the course of my years of beta testing, I asked nicely (pushed relentlessly) for a down sampling enablement so that Amarra Symphony when it detected a Dac that was limited to 96/24 would automatically down sample 384/192 to 96 and 352.8/176.4 to 88.2.

If I haven't covered something you were asking that I didn't not address, and I think I may have not addressed, please let me know.

If what I have provided is more than you wanted to know, excuse my excess. Mean well as my outcome (not the SMPS).

I am over 50 hours as of today. I am going to write a second midway review of the full loom but with not changes to the present configuration. With no tracking number yet from W4S, I haven't a clue if the Recovery gets shipped today. Looking into the Intona.

And thank you for your posts and feedback. I am sure the membership is better informed by them.

Hope some or any of my epic post was helpful and addressed your inquiries. Otherwise let me know.

Best,

Richard

Thank you Richard for the extensive and greatly detailed feedback! You have certainly done your due diligence. Just "curious" if you have tried JRIVER 21 vs your current software setup ?

Thx

Hello tallica1,

The short answer is no. I downloaded one of their early betas but never installed it. Rather than comment any further, I have chosen not to include JRMC among the many programs I maintain. I appreciate how popular the program is with other members. I have no experience with any of their builds.

Best,

Richard

PS

Sorry for many of the typos that plague my posts as my iPad Air 2 with iOS installed continuously changes the words I type and when I am composing quickly, often miss what I typed and what some of my typed words are changed to by iOS.

Best,

wretchard (smile)

Hello All:

Last night I reached the 50+ hour playtime threshold. And based on my experience I am eager to reach the 100 hour mark sooner than later. Therefore, I am continuing to leave my system playing for the next two days with a slight interruption for something important to accomplish.

Last evening, the new beta build to test for Amarra For TIDAL HIFI I was expecting arrived. As you know I am a volunteer beta tester for Sonic Studio since 2011. So I turned my attention to accomplishing a session devoted to the beta build, thus interrupting the continuous play employing iTunes.

While taking the new beta build through its paces which includes assessing the sonic quality, I was so taken with the SQ that my report (repeatedly) commented on how improved the SQ is compared to the last beta build I tested a week or so ago. That beta build's SQ was excellent, but there was something different about this new beta build's SQ. How different? I'll tell you, but first an "Aha" moment.

Didn't get to bed until after midnight, because I was up listening to a Frank Sinatra recommended Playlist from TIDAL I selected to beta test A4T.

I actually love TIDAL HIFI's Playlists for obvious reasons. Of the Playlists I select because I favor the artists, there are hours of playtime and a large selection of the tracks which are highly entertaining and conveniently pre-assembled for me.

I tend not to create my own playlists preferring to play albums than spend time compiling playlists. But that's me. Those who do, my compliments. It's the best of both worlds: Favored artists, prodigious number of their tracks, hours of playtime. I am paying for it, but well worth the monthly fee for HIFI.

Later, laying in bed waiting for sleep to take me into the DreamTime, I started to chuckle (to myself). You know where I am going with this. It dawned on me that I had been listening to the new beta build with the Full Loom of Curious Cables and had reached 50+ hours, and the SQ was different, as in different better, as in the beta build is marvelous, but so are the Curious Cables. It had not dawned on me until then. The Curious Cables with 50+hours made a difference.

Talk about getting lost in the music (well, a member recently mentioned in his report that as one of his experiences with the Curious Cable), I was so involved in the music, I wasn't thinking about anything but the beta build and how good it rendered the playlist. Beta testing involves taking the build through its paces as well as assessing the sonic quality it renders. My focus is divided between the two assessments.

The possibilities are three fold: I am thinking about the music because I am not enjoying some elements of the SQ; I am think about the music because I am enjoying elements of the SQ; I am thinking about the music because I am aware of no changes in the good or the bad rendered since the last build.

The post is already novel in length, so time to sum up. Despite streaming TIDAL HIFI selection, previously, depending on the production quality of the selected tracks, characteristics of the SQ varies. The Sinatra playlist caught my attention, aside from the content, the condition of his voice, the presence of his being...Wait! That's part of the difference that makes the difference. (Metaphor time) For me, it's akin to a master frame perspective (film) to a close up so that one can see the details up close and personal in focus.

Perhaps, someone might assess the rendition as rolled off, loss of...you know the lingo. I am not able to assess numbers and Hz, and a technical perspective. I am able to convey sensory specific auditory cues and feelings the music quality produces in me. The digital character often present in computer audio rendered music has increasing moved in the the direction of acoustic qualities associated with vinyl. No edges, no brightness, no heat, no steely, but not at the expense of clarity, dimensionality, refinement. So is it a loss of dynamics or a refinement of dynamics? I choose refinement of the dynamics without needing to lowering the volume to soften the digital sound.

Admittedly, it takes a bit of getting used to the change in the quality of the sonics. If the production quality is excellent to begin with, this is delivered. I recall auditioning the Wireworld Platinum, the AudioQuest Diamond and the Light Harmonic LightSpeed rendering the same favorite tracks. Wireworld was too hot. AudioQuest was too lay back, Light Harmonic was spot on with clarity of details, dimensionality -- 3D presentation, a sense of the venue, the location of instruments, the dimensions of the soundstage, the voicing of the instruments, the vocals, the nuance of the vocal details of the artist's phrasing, intonation, vocal quality that distinguishes one voice from another, the technique of the musician and the musicality produced. Listen to Wynton Marsalis, Freddie Hubbard, Miles, Faddis, Roy Hargrove, Morgan, Ferguson, Armstrong, Chet Baker. You recognize the musician by their technique and musicality and tone generated even if they were playing the same trumpet. For me, as with the LightSpeed, the Curious Cables render the characteristics with fidelity and clarity. Blackness is often referred to as an absence of noise, neutrality, no hash, EMI blurriness (even if I am missing some other nuance).

I heard a semblance of this early on, and what's good about that got better by degrees. When I am listening to my system, I am no longer thinking about what's wrong, what's distracting, taking me away from the enjoyment of the music, after awhile, my focus is no longer on assessing what I am hearing, it's about living with the action of the music, as you would a film, a symphony, you've stepped into the experience. It's vivid. You feel it sensorily. I think of the Bill Evans (my favorite jazz pianists -- along with several others, but he's my favorite) and the albums I have (about all of them) where there are several takes of the same song, which Bill Evans plays differently every time. The changes he makes, some very subtle, are communicated by a good cable or dare I say, a great cable, that conveys what's presence with a truth/fidelity/clarity.

I am confident the Full Loom started with excellence, and in subtle ways imagined or real, I am experiencing a refinement that is favorable. The Regen accomplished a similar result with the added ingredient that compromised my experience of the Regen. In doing what it does, it exposed a brightness that I find too edgy for me. It distracts and detracts, and detaches me from an in the moment experience as good as it provides other attributes that are favorable. I found that the AQJB was the antidote that allowed me to keep the Regen in the configuration and lessened the brightness, Early on the Curious Cable revealed that brightness with fidelity, now after 50+hours, the Curious Cable refines the SQ favorably. I listen intently, the dynamics are there when delivered by the production quality.

I am less curious about what the cables can do, and more into what the cables do that matches what makes the music enjoyable for me. Obviously, I am presenting my experience, and whether or not that replicates/represents your experience, I would be curious to learn. Please let me know.

Thank you for your time.

The music's the thing; the equipment seduces,

Richard

Richard,

Thanks for starting this thread and for so elegantly providing your impressions. You may have seen this post in another thread (and the followup posts there) that describe how CC's are working in my system -

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/uptone-audio-regen-22803/index123.html#post481689

Hello tne,

Welcome to the thread.

Actually, I subscribe to the same UpTone Audio thread, and I am familiar with your posts. And you're welcome here. Your earlier experiences than mine are not only helpful to me on the way to 100 hours, I am sure readers of this thread who may not yet subscribe to the UpTone Audio sponsored thread will also benefit. Also appreciated the clarity of your photographs which I always find highly useful. You know what they say about a photograph being worth a thousand words...By themselves they tell a story.

Thank you for your post and link to your comments. Feel free to share your experiences with us as you may wish. We're all teaching each other as we go along.

Best,

Richard

Short story:

The Curious Regen Link (CRL) does not work in my setup.

Long Story:

I've been using a Raspberry Pi Model 2B to feed a Marantz SA8005. The Pi is connected via wired ethernet to a PC w/ music stored on an external USB drive. The Pi is running piCorePlayer and therefore being used as a Squezebox emulator with of course Logitech Media Server on the PC.

The setup has been doing some strange things that are possibly unrelated to my USB issue, in that the optical output (from a HifiBerry Digi+) works perfectly but the coax out from the same device does not, usually not making any sound at all. But I digress...

My most significant USB issue is that the system will, every few minutes to every few hours, start playing pure white-noisy static at full volume. Not pleasant. When I power-cycle the dac, the music starts playing again but the static will return, eventually.

There are so many different combinations of oversampling and buffering available in piCorePlayer that I don't want to get into the exact settings for every bit of troubleshooting I've tried, but given the exact same signal being fed to the Pi I can report the following, obtained with using the following power supplies feeding the Pi:

1) Jerome linear (5V, 3A)

2) CanaKit wall-wart (5V, 2.5A).

Each of these on paper has all the power needed to run the Pi and the dac (I know the dac needs the 5V bus power as I blocked it and the dac doesn't see the Pi, but I don't know what it needs the power for (handshake? USB section?) - I have asked Marantz but haven't heard back). There is nothing else connected to the Pi.

I have tried 1) and 2) with two different USB cables (actually 3 but to make things easier...)

a) Curious Regen Link

b) No-name ~ 9' el cheapo.

With the 4 possible combinations I get: (music is Chick Corea and Gary Burton, redbook upsampled by Pi to 176. The clear bell-like vibes are a great test for usb-related issues, I've unfortunately found out!)

1a) Jerome+CRL: Dac locks onto 176K. The music sounds like it's tearing, with a lot of small pops and ticks and the highs sound like a turntable with horrible flutter. Easily audible. I can tell that the full-blast hiss is right around the corner, and within a few minutes it usually starts.

2b) CanaKit+CRL. Dac locks onto 176K. Does not make any sound. Nada. Reproducible as I can plug the Jerome back in and get the sound per 1a), then plug the CanaKit back in and silence, although the dac does lock onto 176.

1b and 2b) Jerome+el cheopo and CanaKit+el cheapo. Dac locks, music plays perfectly. No sign of pops, tearing or impending hiss event. I have used this cable for hours, on a random playlist of 96K upsampled to 192, native 192, 44.1 upsampled to 176 with no hint of distress or impending doom. Also plays up to 2x dsd perfectly.

Therefore, for some reason, my dac just hates the Curious. Curious, huh? How could the USB cable be making such a difference? How can the solid silver conductors of the CRL be MORE difficult on a system? Is it the larger gauge vs. what must be the small gauge copper of the el cheapo? Even if the Pi is not giving the correct voltage to the dac, why would this be exacerbated w/ the CRL?

I don't think I'll return the CRL though. I'm thinking that a Regen or Intona might provide the dac with happy juice that will make the CRL work. Or maybe the dac will play nice with a µRendu. Or maybe it will work w/ HQPlayer...or...

I guess I'll try the CRL w/ my laptop and JRMC, but don't know if I can make it reach.

Sorry for the long post and I don't intend to threadjack w/ my issues but I wanted to give (hopefully) clear background into the specific issues I have w/ the CRL.

I am really bummed that it doesn't work, but it simply doesn't!

-Mike

Short story:

The Curious Regen Link (CRL) does not work in my setup.

Long Story:

I've been using a Raspberry Pi Model 2B to feed a Marantz SA8005. The Pi is connected via wired ethernet to a PC w/ music stored on an external USB drive. The Pi is running piCorePlayer and therefore being used as a Squezebox emulator with of course Logitech Media Server on the PC.

The setup has been doing some strange things that are possibly unrelated to my USB issue, in that the optical output (from a HifiBerry Digi+) works perfectly but the coax out from the same device does not, usually not making any sound at all. But I digress...

My most significant USB issue is that the system will, every few minutes to every few hours, start playing pure white-noisy static at full volume. Not pleasant. When I power-cycle the dac, the music starts playing again but the static will return, eventually.

There are so many different combinations of oversampling and buffering available in piCorePlayer that I don't want to get into the exact settings for every bit of troubleshooting I've tried, but given the exact same signal being fed to the Pi I can report the following, obtained with using the following power supplies feeding the Pi:

1) Jerome linear (5V, 3A)

2) CanaKit wall-wart (5V, 2.5A).

Each of these on paper has all the power needed to run the Pi and the dac (I know the dac needs the 5V bus power as I blocked it and the dac doesn't see the Pi, but I don't know what it needs the power for (handshake? USB section?) - I have asked Marantz but haven't heard back). There is nothing else connected to the Pi.

I have tried 1) and 2) with two different USB cables (actually 3 but to make things easier...)

a) Curious Regen Link

b) No-name ~ 9' el cheapo.

With the 4 possible combinations I get: (music is Chick Corea and Gary Burton, redbook upsampled by Pi to 176. The clear bell-like vibes are a great test for usb-related issues, I've unfortunately found out!)

1a) Jerome+CRL: Dac locks onto 176K. The music sounds like it's tearing, with a lot of small pops and ticks and the highs sound like a turntable with horrible flutter. Easily audible. I can tell that the full-blast hiss is right around the corner, and within a few minutes it usually starts.

2b) CanaKit+CRL. Dac locks onto 176K. Does not make any sound. Nada. Reproducible as I can plug the Jerome back in and get the sound per 1a), then plug the CanaKit back in and silence, although the dac does lock onto 176.

1b and 2b) Jerome+el cheopo and CanaKit+el cheapo. Dac locks, music plays perfectly. No sign of pops, tearing or impending hiss event. I have used this cable for hours, on a random playlist of 96K upsampled to 192, native 192, 44.1 upsampled to 176 with no hint of distress or impending doom. Also plays up to 2x dsd perfectly.

Therefore, for some reason, my dac just hates the Curious. Curious, huh? How could the USB cable be making such a difference? How can the solid silver conductors of the CRL be MORE difficult on a system? Is it the larger gauge vs. what must be the small gauge copper of the el cheapo? Even if the Pi is not giving the correct voltage to the dac, why would this be exacerbated w/ the CRL?

I don't think I'll return the CRL though. I'm thinking that a Regen or Intona might provide the dac with happy juice that will make the CRL work. Or maybe the dac will play nice with a µRendu. Or maybe it will work w/ HQPlayer...or...

I guess I'll try the CRL w/ my laptop and JRMC, but don't know if I can make it reach.

Sorry for the long post and I don't intend to threadjack w/ my issues but I wanted to give (hopefully) clear background into the specific issues I have w/ the CRL.

I am really bummed that it doesn't work, but it simply doesn't!

-Mike

Hello Mike,

Whew! Thank you for your post which is in a small part about the CRL cable.

Please CA members, let me head you off at the pass (Hedley La Mar may hate that cliche, but I enjoy it particularly for its banality). Members please do not use this post as a discussion about Mike's system.

As far as I am concerned the CRL is almost incidental to the larger issue. And this thread is NOT for that purpose.

And, in support of Mike, for my own part, would it help you to email Rob Woodland and share your experience with him as the creator of the Curious Cable? Rob might be able to suggest what is relevant to his cable, i.e. Handshake or some other criterion. My comptenciies are not in technical matters.

I am sure there could be a host of posts to solve your problem that have nothing to do with Curious Cable and that won't work at this thread.

Mike, my second recommendation is that you start your own thread or one already existing that deals with the majority of your posts issues.

I was very much taken with your opening sentence, awaiting to learn what your reasons for starting off with that conclusion. It didn't take me long to get lost in the weeds. And how specifically the CRL fits in compared to the dearth of information around what the CRL is contributing to the conclusion that has validity other than the conclusion.

Please don't take my remarks personally. Your issues are very real, and it would appear complex. And you are entitled to sort your issue(s) out to discover what may resolve them. For example, my first cable I used consistently was a $600 Synergistic Research Tricon USB cable. Gorgeous SQ. I upgraded my Dac2 DSDse at Wyred4Sound the designer. When my Dac returned, excited to hear the fruits of the upgrade, what I heard was shrieking, static.

My Lord, what did EJ Sarmento do to my Dac2 now a Dac2 DSDse. Shipped it back to California. They tested my Dac. Nothing wrong. Well I was not happy. I believed them. In the interim, I made sure to post my experiences at my Wyred4Sound thread and did not hold back.

Evenually, Synergistic Research's chief designer (CEO too?) posted at my thread, and informed me that my $600 USB cable was designed for 44 frequency and not for what the Dac2 DSDse after being upgraded rendered. The cable could not deal with the signal. There was NO marketing information at their website (SR) not reviews that indicated that, no specifications that described the requirements. And NO offer from Synergistic Research to make good save a 10% discount toward my next SR USB cable. Bye-bye $600. Was I to offer this gorgeous cable limited to a technology changing faster than the weather and stick someone with a severely limited cable?

My point is, it could be the specifications of the cable, it could be the cable's specifications has nothing to do with this issue. Rob Woodland may have relevant input and support for you. Your issue(s) are complex and interesting; and I wish you success in sorting it out.

If in fact the Curious Cable is responsible for your problem, you are welcome to post that information here supported by specificity.

Member recommendations that take off on components and power supplies and everything but what's paramount about your CRL and your system, is better served at another thread. If you do contact Rob Woodland; and he responds, please feel free to post his response here. Removing the cable and substituting the CRL with another cable and the impediment disappears is also relevant for this thread. Additional configurations with the CRL involved and the results are also relevant.

Is that fair, Mike?

I wish you good fortune in sorting the problem out to your satisfaction.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation,

Richard

Hi Richard, I will read your entire reply tomorrow - It's getting late and I want to add another data point-

I tried the CRL with my laptop, running JRMC 20 directly into the Marantz SA8005 dac.

The el cheapo USB cable worked without issue, all sampling rates.

Using the CRL, the laptop did not recognize the dac at all. JMRC returned the dreaded "Playback could not be started...Marantz ASIO device does not support..." Then Windows popped up a "A USB device connected to this computer has failed or become uresponsive etc. message" Plugging el cheapo back in and all worked perfectly.

Therefore the CRL did not work with the Pi, and also when using a completely 100% different setup to feed the dac (laptop direct USB w/ JMRC vs. networked PC/Logitech Media Sever/Pi) so I don't hold out hope that the addition of a regen/intona etc will fix the apparent incompatibility w/ my dac.

I will try to return the CRL.

Back to toslink from the Pi for me.

I'ts not my wish to troubleshoot my problems here but to simply add one data point with sufficient background info which may help others in their quest. I do not blame the CRL, but apparently it just doesn't play nice w/ my Marantz. Doubt I'll ever know why and that's OK. Perhaps some others that don't like the sound from the CRL and having similar issues to me.

Back to Toslink.

Thanks for listening!

-Mike

Hi Richard, I will read your entire reply tomorrow - It's getting late and I want to add another data point-

I tried the CRL with my laptop, running JRMC 20 directly into the Marantz SA8005 dac.

The el cheapo USB cable worked without issue, all sampling rates.

Using the CRL, the laptop did not recognize the dac at all. JMRC returned the dreaded "Playback could not be started...Marantz ASIO device does not support..." Then Windows popped up a "A USB device connected to this computer has failed or become uresponsive etc. message" Plugging el cheapo back in and all worked perfectly.

Therefore the CRL did not work with the Pi, and also when using a completely 100% different setup to feed the dac (laptop direct USB w/ JMRC vs. networked PC/Logitech Media Sever/Pi) so I don't hold out hope that the addition of a regen/intona etc will fix the apparent incompatibility w/ my dac.

I will try to return the CRL.

Back to toslink from the Pi for me.

I'ts not my wish to troubleshoot my problems here but to simply add one data point with sufficient background info which may help others in their quest. I do not blame the CRL, but apparently it just doesn't play nice w/ my Marantz. Doubt I'll ever know why and that's OK. Perhaps some others that don't like the sound from the CRL and having similar issues to me.

Back to Toslink.

Thanks for listening!

-Mike

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your thoughtful response. Wonder if the cable's flawed in its construction. As for try to return, are you intimating you are past the 30 day refund policy. In any event, I am sure an email (if not already sent whether you've decided to return it or not) might be helpful in providing closure for you given the breath of Rob Woodland's experience with customers and their system configuration. He may also have some insights into what triggered the issue.

I appreciate that you took the time to reply to me. And above all, I am sorry for our troubles as I imagine you wanted the CC to work out. But even with the second configuration, No Joy! That's my speculation that the cable may be faulty. There has to be a plausible explanation that is reproducible.

To be clear, I am on your side in so far as you are entitled to a working CC that delivers high quality rendition which may be thwarted by some element that needs to be revealed.

So far members who posted they returned their cable met with Rob Woodland's accord to honor his policy. Please let us know, if you care to how this circumstance resolved itself.

Good fortune,

Richard

With just about the 100 hours on two 0.8m Curious Cables, the sound unfortunately did not improve. More on SQ a little later.

Chain 1

HQPlayer 3.12 (Win10) > HP Z800 Workstation USB 3.0 port > Icron Ranger 2214 Cat 5 USB 2 extender > Curious Cable (A) > Intona 7054 Isolator > Curious Cable (B) > Mutec MC-1.2 USB S/PDIF converter > Accuphase DP-720 Coax input on SACD Player. <---Failed, System unstable.

Chain 2

HQPlayer 3.12 (Win10) > Lenovo M93p > Curious Cable (A) > Intona 7054 Isolator > Curious Cable (B) > Mutec MC-1.2 USB S/PDIF converter > Accuphase DP-720 Coax input on SACD Player. <- Failed, HQ Player would not accept any music to drag and drop.

Chain 3

HQPlayer 3.12 (Win10) > Lenovo M93p > Curious Cable (A) > Mutec MC-1.2 USB S/PDIF converter > Accuphase DP-720 Coax input on SACD Player. <- Failed, for the same reasons as Chain2. This is the first time since receipt that only the one cable was used on its own. At this point the system was calmly shutdown and the Curious cables were re-packed on their journey to the vendor.

When the Curious Cables didn't work, Nordost Blue Heaven or Oyaide Continental cables were substituted and the music played, wonderfully. I would give the sound to the Nordost, much like an MFSL mastering over a standard issue, the Oyaides have that crisp sharp definition. I wish there were a combo...digressing.

On the test bench, I could only do basic resistance checks to make sure there were not any gross wiring errors with the curious cables. They belled out fine, with the exception of the shield at the A and B Shells. In both 0.8m Curious Cables, the shield was disconnected, did not check which end was disconnected. In comparison, the Nordost cables had the A and B shells connected, same with the Oyaide Continentals. Generic USB 2.0 cables varied quite a lot, continuity on one cable and 400k Ohms on the other and they have the same part number. The Lenovo PC has the shell above earth some 1 M Ohm, the HPZ800 has the shell grounded.

I conclude that the discontinuity of the shield is responsible to for SQ degradation by letting the noise in or reactive enough to distort the USB waveform, even when an Intona Isolator is in circuit.

Summary of SQ issues:

- Micro details missing

- Stage width too narrow, with a gap b/n left and right of centre

- Individual instruments are buried in the sound-stage, so cannot focus on them

- The cables affected female vocals' tonality with finer breathing and accents are missing.

- The playback is as if there's bulk jitter added to the system

I wish the results were different. Quite happy with the SQ the way it is now, until the next component arrives.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

one and a half: very interesting your results but completely polar opposite to all the reviews on much higher end equipment per say. On the other hand I am previewing this cable currently with a direct connection from Mac book pro to Vega dac and haven't seen any degradation in details especially female vocals. Quite the opposite. Can you please advise what source material tracks #'s etc so I can try ?

Thank you.

A pithy comment or two: I have been using the Curious USB and I simply would care to say that the cable is as described by the majority of you. I have the 200mm on order. This is the type of revelatory product that keeps this hobby moving forward.

Now, on to the Intona USB box!

MacPro 24 GB/8TB / A+ and Pure Music / LAMPIZATOR B7 as Dac and Pre w/volume control / Regen /Intona USB Iso/curious USB / Emotive Audio Sira / PASS Aleph P / D-Sonic M3 600 mono's / MIT / Shunyata Alpha HC, Alpha Digital, Alpha Analogue, Weizhi PR-6 / Exact Power XP15a-4 balanced power distributor / FOCAL Maestro UTOPIA III's in red/black

"In life's final analysis, one's relationship with his Maker is all that really matters."

one and a half: very interesting your results but completely polar opposite to all the reviews on much higher end equipment per say. On the other hand I am previewing this cable currently with a direct connection from Mac book pro to Vega dac and haven't seen any degradation in details especially female vocals. Quite the opposite. Can you please advise what source material tracks #'s etc so I can try ?Thank you.

Just the two albums

Sophie Milman, In the Moonlight

Rita Wilson AM/FM

(Now available as 48/24, previously 96/24, another blunder..?) Not particularly dynamic recording, but easy to listen above contralto with hardly any gymnastics.

speshal: Not quite sure who your antagonistic post was meant for but as a recent purchaser of this audiophile grade USB curious cable so far.. my in progress review so far is "mind-blowing" with in excess of 10+ hours of listening. Not 2 recordings! Where are you getting design flaws from.

Wow that's all? Just 2 recordings and that's all you compared the Curious USB cable with ?

The two albums showed up the flaws quite well that's . The process of burning in was 40 or so albums in repeat mode operating 24/7. The albums covered AC/DC to Bert Kaempfaert, Anna Netrebko, Pictures at an Exhibition (Both classical & ELP), The Monkees, Thom Rotella Band, David Sanborn, all sorts.

The amp volume was muted for 99.5% of the time. Every now and again I would listen for a few moments to mentally compare what was before. It was only possible to listen to a few minutes at a time since the SQ was shite, to put it politely. At 50 hours not much of an improvement. When the 100 hours approached, the result was much the same as the beginning, why suffer the dentist's drill for hours on end?

To add to my experience documented on the previous page, where the best the Curious Regen link could do was to play grossly distorted music, and at worst would not play anything or cause my PC to not recognize the dac-

Tonight I borrowed an Audioquest (the bottom model I think) USB cable, maybe 10', from my brothers store. Its been playing flawlessly for a few hours in the same setup where the CRL sounded very distorted and would cause my dac to go into a continuous loud hissing state.

Very interesting to hear about the shield connection situation on the A and B shells. I can't find my voltmeter so can't test mine before I send it back d'oh. This could be the reason the cable simply did not work properly if at all in my system AND the reason it sounds so fabulous in others'. Very interesting.

To add to my experience documented on the previous page, where the best the Curious Regen link could do was to play grossly distorted music, and at worst would not play anything or cause my PC to not recognize the dac-

Tonight I borrowed an Audioquest (the bottom model I think) USB cable, maybe 10', from my brothers store. Its been playing flawlessly for a few hours in the same setup where the CRL sounded very distorted and would cause my dac to go into a continuous loud hissing state.

Very interesting to hear about the shield connection situation on the A and B shells. I can't find my voltmeter so can't test mine before I send it back d'oh. This could be the reason the cable simply did not work properly if at all in my system AND the reason it sounds so fabulous in others'. Very interesting.

OK I found the old voltmeter and did some continuity checks on several USB cables I had lying around. Every one showed electrical continuity between the shells. Except the Curious Regen Link. From a quick search it appears that USB cables are supposed to have continuity between the connector shells. Can someone please confirm? Interesting if the Curious is not made to meet current USB standards - I'd imagine this would explain the connectivity issues I'm having. I wonder if Rob knows and if this was a deliberate decision, the result of which may be incompatibility with certain setups.