IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

1 minute ago, mumsoft said:

Maybe... maybe that is the source of Whacky's problem with his balanced cables?

Anyway, if Mytek thinks it's wise to withdraw 2.34, I would not complain about whatever went wrong if I still had 2.34 in my Brooklyn.

I have no idea what you're talking about with balanced cables and I'm not complaining.  I have no reason to complain.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I ment that it could be the source of Whacky's problem, nothing else.

Surely I would try 2.32 first if I had a problem with my Brooklyn running 2.34. But not if everything is fine.

It would be nice of course if Mytek could explain why they withdrew 2.34

Marc

1 hour ago, mumsoft said:

I ment that it could be the source of Whacky's problem, nothing else.

Surely I would try 2.32 first if I had a problem with my Brooklyn running 2.34. But not if everything is fine.

It would be nice of course if Mytek could explain why they withdrew 2.34

Marc

A friend who owns a Brooklyn called Mytek to report that, after installing 2.34, he had started to listen and his system got painfully loud almost instantly.  After shutting the system down without damage, he determined that the default preamp mode had been set to bypass.  If using the Brooklyn as a pre as he does, this allows full volume to the amps/speakers.  This should not affect people using a separate preamp.

There may be other reasons but Mytek pulled the update immediately after my friend's call.

Maybe this will explain some of recently reported issues?!

39 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

A friend who owns a Brooklyn called Mytek to report that, after installing 2.34, he had started to listen and his system got painfully loud almost instantly.  After shutting the system down without damage, he determined that the default preamp mode had been set to bypass.  If using the Brooklyn as a pre as he does, this allows full volume to the amps/speakers.  This should not affect people using a separate preamp.

There may be other reasons but Mytek pulled the update immediately after my friend's call.

Maybe this will explain some of recently reported issues?!

Interesting.  I use the Brooklyn as a dac/pre and have installed 2.34 from early on and haven't had one issue.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

7 hours ago, agladstone said:

Definitely try a different set of balanced cables (seems like you will need to buy a pair to use as a test, just make sure it's from a place that allows returns)

Yeah these are Blue Jean cables balanced interconnects. Based on their wide acclaim for a quality cable for the price, I wouldn't expect any issues. 

The cables don't produce any other weirdness, or added noise when other inputs like the USB are selected. Only the turntable. 

Im going to grab a new set to swap them out regardless. Gonna look for something relatively quality on Amazon for their return policy. 

Also running 2.34. Going to try different firmware maybe? Reflash, etc. 

Not aure, but the sound is ridiculously annoying.  

*Whacky:

Obviously, roll back the firmware to 2.32 first and see if issue still exists, that's fast and easy and won't cost you any $$. 

If it still exists, than it's your cables (I would think about trying new / different balanced cables and new/different cables coming from your Turn Table too, and experiment with both). 

If it's not firmware related, then it definitely sounds like it's your cables!! 

As a recommendation for balanced cables, Music Direct (www.musicdirect.com) has Audioquest King Cobra cables (XLR and RCA) on 50% off clearance and they have a good 30 day return policy. (I think you need to pay for return shipping and call and get an RMA). 

They are a good value at 50% off and definitely a big step up from BlueJean Cables!! 

BlueJean Cables makes great Cat 6a Ethernet cables, but the rest of their cables are decent budget cables, but definitely not audiophile capable!! 

The Audioquest King Cobra's are a great value and if you really wanted to step it up even further to the next level, the Shunyata Venom XLR cables are excellent!! 

1 minute ago, agladstone said:

They are a good value at 50% off and definitely a big step up from BlueJean Cables!! 

BlueJean Cables makes great Cat 6a Ethernet cables, but the rest of their cables are decent budget cables, but definitely not audiophile capable!! 

Really bad info here.  The Blue Jeans using the Belden 1800F is all you need.  Further, you want to use the Blue Jeans Cat 6 not the 6a as I've posted about this many times.  

2 hours ago, jtwrace said:

Really bad info here.  The Blue Jeans using the Belden 1800F is all you need.  Further, you want to use the Blue Jeans Cat 6 not the 6a as I've posted about this many times.  

I meant Cat 6 , not Cat 6a - my bad!! 

In regards to XLR cables, I urge you to conduct your own experiment/ audition, I think you'll be really surprised at the improvements in sound as you go up the ladder!! 

I started out with BJC Belden, than Mogami Gold, than Audioquest King Cobra, and now Shunyata Venom XLR and with each upgrade , came a significant increase in sound quality / performance (not at all subtle)!!

On 6/2/2017 at 6:21 PM, whacky said:

Can anyone with the Brooklyn comment on its ability with MC cartridges?? Any common issues with gain. Low vs high output MC cartridges, etc. 

Im looking to upgrade my Project Carbon to something in the 2-3k range. Currently eyeballing an EAT C Major with Sumiko Blue Point special evo iii which is MC but has two options as a cartridge being low vs high output.  

I obviously don't want anything that will struggle to work well with my Brooklyn. 

I don't exactly anticipate any issues really. 

Just looking for confirmation. 

Current system:

Mac mini + Project debut carbon

to 

Brooklyn dac 

to

Marantz 7702

to 

Parasound A21 amp

to

Tekton Double Impact loudspeakers 

I use the Brooklyn phono stage for a Sumiko Pearwood Celebration ii cart and a Hana SL cart, both or MC and I think the Brooklyn's phono stage sounds great. In fact, i sold my Lehmann Black Cube SE II.  I think the gain for low output MC is just fine.  The only downside for me is that you don't have any "Load" options. That's the only configuration that is missing but not a deal breaker for me. I'm happy with it. Hope that helps.

Question, perhaps this has been addressed already, but is there any harm in leaving the Brooklyn on all the time rather than putting it in standby for long periods of inactivity, overnight for example.  My Brooklyn does generate some heat and is in a somewhat confined space.

My old Meridian Director didn’t have a standby mode as it was USB powered and was on when the computer was on which was pretty much always.

Also a couple of thoughts regarding Whacky's balanced cable phono issue.  I doubt it has anything to do with Blue Jeans XLR cables.  (I honestly think Blue Jeans balanced cables with Neutrik XLR connectors are pretty darn good.)  I suspect it would be easy to substitute single ended cables, Brooklyn out to amp in, to see if the problem persists in that configuration.  My guess is the noise is coming from the turntable itself.

Hi @John Eaton I cannot help but pop mine into Standby..  If I leave it on for longer periods then enable the screen auto off. I'm sure like all Mytek pro kit it could stay on for 5 years in a rack fine.. But, it's a psychology thing. Oddly I forget about my Rendu being on 

Indeed, the Brooklyn becomes pretty warm after a while, and uses much more energy when on cf to stand-by.

I can't see nor hear any benefits to leave it on all the time, and it is a matter of pressing one button on the remote to shut it off.

But can it harm? I don't think so. I switch it on in the morning, and in stand-by late in the evening. No smoke, fire, pops or clicks.

Marc

Hi anyone watching who can help me :-)

I'm trying to use the Brooklyn RC5 remote control option without success and it's getting very frustrating. 

Because of my disability I find it easier to use iPad apps.

I've got an excellent remote control app called "SimpleControl" on the iPad with thousands of different IR devices saved in its database.  Does anybody know what RC5 remove controls work with the Brooklyn, because I've been through loads in the database and nothing works.

Obviously I've got the Apple remote to work but I've already got an Apple TV  and I don't want to function both at the same time if you know what I mean :-) 

Please help someone 

20 minutes ago, quark said:

I'm trying to use the Brooklyn RC5 remote control option without success and it's getting very frustrating. 

I've got an excellent remote control app called "SimpleControl" on the iPad with thousands of different IR devices saved in its database.  Does anybody know what RC5 remove controls work with the Brooklyn, because I've been through loads in the database and nothing works.

Obviously I've got the Apple remote to work but I've already got an Apple TV  and I don't want to function both at the same time if you know what I mean :-) 

Please help someone 

Or  if I move the Apple TV summer else, how do you put the Brooklyn into standby using Apple remote? 

42 minutes ago, quark said:

Please help someone 

deleted . . . . my comment was not applicable to this situaiton . . . .

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > sennheiser hd600
1 hour ago, quark said:

Or  if I move the Apple TV summer else, how do you put the Brooklyn into standby using Apple remote? 

You can change the address of the remote on your Apple TV. I think this can also be done on the Brooklyn.

Have a look at the manual chapter 9.2.24. If you want to change the address on your Apple tv look on the www how this is done...

20 hours ago, mumsoft said:

With the right button below the wheel. If you mean 'somewhere' with 'summer'.

Marc

Hi, thanks for the reply

Can you enlighten me further please. On my Apple TV remote the right button below the wheel is the play pause button, is this the one you are referring to? Because when I press it it doesn't do anything.

Just trying to find a way to switch the Brooklyn into standby remotely :-(

1 hour ago, quark said:

Hi, thanks for the reply

Can you enlighten me further please. On my Apple TV remote the right button below the wheel is the play pause button, is this the one you are referring to? Because when I press it it doesn't do anything.

Just trying to find a way to switch the Brooklyn into standby remotely :-(

8873585180702.jpg.6888ab0e8561f25933e0411a9f50009e.jpg

You´ll need to press it for a second or so to turn it off :)

🎛️  Audio System  

That should be clear now, but the Apple remote must be 'paired' with the Brooklyn to begin with.

From the manual:

11.1 The Brooklyn DAC Apple Remote Setup
1.    Turn the knob round until you see „Remote” menu then press third button to activate the menu.
2.    Choose „NEC” option. „Remote Addr” appears on the left.
3.    Activate „Remote Addr” menu by pressing fourth button. The menu should be backlited with
blue colour.
4.    Press the center (Enter) button on the Apple Remote.
5.    Done! - the Apple remote is paired.

Marc

42 minutes ago, mumsoft said:

That should be clear now, but the Apple remote must be 'paired' with the Brooklyn to begin with.

From the manual:

11.1 The Brooklyn DAC Apple Remote Setup
1.    Turn the knob round until you see „Remote” menu then press third button to activate the menu.
2.    Choose „NEC” option. „Remote Addr” appears on the left.
3.    Activate „Remote Addr” menu by pressing fourth button. The menu should be backlited with
blue colour.
4.    Press the center (Enter) button on the Apple Remote.
5.    Done! - the Apple remote is paired.

Marc

Yes it is clear thank you, I've already paired the remote I'm not daft.?

As I keep trying to say I have a high level of disability, I use an iPad with a very good app called simplecontrol. It has many IR Controlled devices remotes in its database to choose from. This is why I asked if anyone knows of any RC5 remote controls that work with the Brooklyn, because I spent ages trying to find one in their database without luck.

I can't physically pick up the Apple remote because I can't use my fingers. I use the side of my hand to function an iPad, when I continually press the button you told me nothing happens. Probably because it's just repeating the code pulsing instead of continually now I know how it's supposed to work.

I just wanted to clarify as I cannot physically check the real apple remote.

Does anybody know of any RC5 remote controls that work the Brooklyn? 

I tried a few apps om my Android phone, but they need IR hardware, that my Leagoo doesn't have.

But I think it's a good idea to have some remote app working on your phone. I always have to look where I left the tiny Apple remote, whereas I always know where I left my phone. Almost always...

Marc

29 minutes ago, mumsoft said:

I tried a few apps om my Android phone, but they need IR hardware, that my Leagoo doesn't have.

But I think it's a good idea to have some remote app working on your phone. I always have to look where I left the tiny Apple remote, whereas I always know where I left my phone. Almost always...

Marc

Then maybe something like this will interest you? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-TV-Remote-Case-Cover-Holder-Hard-Maple-Clear-Lacquer-Finish-/221975012542

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.fe5b910b79ecb85cf81e11eb6a0d4ede.jpg

🎛️  Audio System  

That's really beautiful! But a bit pricy too.

In a few months I will get a new phone (Fairphone 2), and I will try that one first then.

Nevertheless, it look like a steal.

Today someone with a Windows laptop will visit my place, so I can hopefully experience what the newest firmware upgrade (will it be 2.32 or 2.34???) does to my MQA findings.

Alas, still no Linux version of the Control Software on the horizon, Mytek?

Marc