IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Hi guys

I read an earlier post (maybe in another thread/forum) that DSD512 support may come to the Brooklyn via a firmware update. Has this been confirmed my Mytek?

I may just email them directly anyway.

Of course there's no DSD512 music out there so I'm asking about support for up-sampling to DSD512, the way I'm using it with my iFi iDSD DAC at the moment.

Cheers! 

27 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Hi guys

I read an earlier post (maybe in another thread/forum) that DSD512 support may come to the Brooklyn via a firmware update. Has this been confirmed my Mytek?

I may just email them directly anyway.

Of course there's no DSD512 music out there so I'm asking about support for up-sampling to DSD512, the way I'm using it with my iFi iDSD DAC at the moment.

Cheers! 

X

I didn't think the ESS9018 chip was capable of DSD512. 

3 minutes ago, anroj said:

Interesting. I stand corrected. 

It may have been a design decision to cap support at DSD256. From my very basic learnings, higher sample rates can result in higher jitter, so you need better (more expensive) clocking.

So even if the chip can do DSD512 it may perform worse than with DSD256 (due to higher jitter) with the same clocking, then it may (or not) be best to cap it at DSD256.

Anyway that's all just guessing - I've asked Mytek directly if a firmware update is planned for DSD512 support.

4 hours ago, Em2016 said:

It may have been a design decision to cap support at DSD256. From my very basic learnings, higher sample rates can result in higher jitter, so you need better (more expensive) clocking.

So even if the chip can do DSD512 it may perform worse than with DSD256 (due to higher jitter) with the same clocking, then it may (or not) be best to cap it at DSD256.

Anyway that's all just guessing - I've asked Mytek directly if a firmware update is planned for DSD512 support.

Please let us know what Mytek says. 

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

Will do.

As of February 14, I asked Mytek the same question in preparation for upgrading my Manhattan to Manhattan II and their answer was "For now we do not plan to add 512DSD capability". I hope they would change their mind upward.

BTW, for now I'm enjoying upsampled DSD512 from Roon/HQ player via Buffalo III/IIISE DAC (ES9018) kits and/or an AK4497 DAC kit by I2S connection through BBB/Hermes/Cronus or occasionally through Amanero Combo384.

Regards,

On 5/17/2017 at 6:38 PM, anroj said:

Please let us know what Mytek says. 

"There are no plans to implement DSD 512 support for now. There are not many similar inquiries"

So if Brookyln owners want it, I suggest you all let Mytek know about your interest. It sounds like if enough people want it they'll at least consider it....

Three weeks in with near-continual break-in and i'm definitely liking the Brooklyn.  A bit more depth, width and detail without any listening fatigue or harshness.  I also seem to prefer up-converting to DxD rather than DSD with this DAC, but I need to revisit that now that it has broken in.  The analog line-level input and preamp are better than I expected, allowing a bit more from my mod'd Eastern Electric DAC than I've heard before (which makes me wonder how Tortuga's new tube buffer would pair with the Brooklyn).

My only nits so far are:

• I'd like a volume display mode that is easier to read from ~10 feet away.  The OLED display seems plenty large to support a third volume-specific "10 foot" display mode.
  • An option to detect a stream w/ MQA and automatically switch to the MPH filter and then back to the SR or FR filter when MQA is not detected.
  • A setting to fine tune the levels on the analog input to match the DAC's output level.  Not a big deal since I"ll be using the phono input primarily.
  • An optional remote control with some heft to it.  I added a rubber, non-slip case that helps tremendously with finding and not losing the Apple Remote, but I wouldn't mind the option to upgrade to a more substantial, matching remote.  I am going to play around with the RC5 mode when I get some time.
1 hour ago, mrvco said:
  •  I'd like a volume display mode that is easier to read from ~10 feet away.  The OLED display seems plenty large to support a third volume-specific "10 foot" display mode

I'd love the same for source selection... now I basically just have the button pushes memorized to get to source, then know USB is down and optical & analog are up and go until I hear something. 

6 minutes ago, fondriest said:

I'd love the same for source selection... now I basically just have the button pushes memorized to get to source, then know USB is down and optical & analog are up and go until I hear something. 

Agreed.  Adding some color differentiation would help as well.  The UI is functional and looks nice near-field, but the brightness and resolution seems more than adequate for an alternative layout that might not be as crisp, but would be more visible from a distance.

2 hours ago, mrvco said:

I'd like a volume display mode that is easier to read from ~10 feet away.  The OLED display seems plenty large to support a third volume-specific "10 foot" display mode.

+100%

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Since there have been a few conversations about current draw on the Brooklyn I figured I'd check it out for myself.  

Using AC power (122VAC) this is what I got.  

.21A at startup and .19A while playing music.  

Mytek Brooklyn Startup.PNG

Brooklyn Playing Music.JPG

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

51 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

Since there have been a few conversations about current draw on the Brooklyn I figured I'd check it out for myself.  

Using AC power (122VAC) this is what I got.  

.21A at startup and .19A while playing music.  

Mytek Brooklyn Startup.PNG

Brooklyn Playing Music.JPG

If you have a chance, could you try this with headphones being driven at normal listening levels?

On 5/20/2017 at 8:10 AM, jtwrace said:

@mrvco @fondriest

I'm sure you guys know but this screen selection isn't terrible but I do wish there were more options.

Mytek Brooklyn Screen.JPG

Unfortunately, from 10 feet, I'm leaning forward pretty far to make out the db #'s... I even had my eyes checked recently and I'm still right at 20/20 (one eye is a smidgen weaker than the other and has been since my eyes were first checked when I was 5 or so).  I may try keeping my monocular next to my listening chair :)

I listened to the phono pre last night and it sounds pretty darn nice.

My Brooklyn is due to arrive tomorrow. I’m excited.

As you can see from the photo, I’ve run all the connectors so I’m ready to go.

(Blue Jeans cables,  XLR out to the pre-pro, USB from a little Windows 10 Lenovo running JRiver)  

Late last week I installed Tidal HiFi and have been enjoying Tidal Masters at 24/96 via my Meridian Director DAC.

I am expecting the Brooklyn and MQA decoding to make Tidal Masters files sound even better.

I wouldn’t say I have an extensive hi-rez collection but I have spent a considerable sum on downloads from HDTracks. 

If Tidal Masters sounds as good as I expect they will (given everything I have read) my ability to listen to my old favorites and explore new music in high-rez will expand logarithmically, all for 20 bucks a month, about the cost on one hi-rez download from HDTracks.  Pinch me, am I dreaming?

With just a few exceptions, the Hi-Fi press is nearly universally positive about MQA.  I’m jumping in with both feet.

Mytek Ready.JPG

11 minutes ago, John Eaton said:

Mytek Ready.JPG

Very nice amplifier stage! The Brooklyn has been quoted a needing running in time to sound it's best. I like streaming MQA Tidal masters to mine via sonore Rendu so enjoy!  Don't yet read the threads about external 12v PSUs for the Brooklyn and iso Regen for the USB ☺ 

13 minutes ago, m5sime said:

Don't yet read the threads about external 12v PSUs for the Brooklyn and iso Regen for the USB ☺ 

Definitely not!  I use the @Vinnie Rossi MINI on my Brooklyn.  

1 hour ago, mav52 said:

Did the MINI help the Brooklyn and what did you hear.  Thanks   I haven't gone the external power supply yet !

Yes, across the board I feel. I think @Vinnie Rossi offers a trial period too but needless to say I've never needed it.  :D