IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

5 hours ago, whacky said:

On a separate note, for those that use the Brooklyn as a phono preamp, what are your overall thoughts about it??

[...]

Is this a gain issue within a hot Brooklyn? 

Is anyone else experienced this significant hum using the Phono preamp??

I think your experiments are quite exhaustive. To find out this myself in my set, I increased the volume of the Brooklyn. To 0 dB, and at about -27 dB I can hear the buzz coming in. At 0dB it is significant, of course, as would be the 'music' if I dared to play a record at that level.

But at normal volume, now at -44 with 10 CC's I'm not in love, there is nothing wrong.

No jumpers attached, no external power source.

I hope you will get more answers, so you can decide if there is anything unusual in the phono-part of your Brooklyn. As a whole, phono-amps are quite sensitive to hum and noise thanks to the very tiny current that a cartridge outputs.

BTW I used an MM cartridge.

Marc

3 hours ago, mumsoft said:

I think your experiments are quite exhaustive. To find out this myself in my set, I increased the volume of the Brooklyn. To 0 dB, and at about -27 dB I can hear the buzz coming in. At 0dB it is significant, of course, as would be the 'music' if I dared to play a record at that level.

But at normal volume, now at -44 with 10 CC's I'm not in love, there is nothing wrong.

No jumpers attached, no external power source.

I hope you will get more answers, so you can decide if there is anything unusual in the phono-part of your Brooklyn. As a whole, phono-amps are quite sensitive to hum and noise thanks to the very tiny current that a cartridge outputs.

BTW I used an MM cartridge.

Marc

Some MM cartridges are famous for hum.  This was the main reason for me switching to an MC high output cartridge on my main system. (I have not tried it with the Brookyln DAC yet, though.)

mQa is dead!

19 minutes ago, John Eaton said:

Likewise, the only reported change is " improved: USB audio class volume control on Windows".  Still has the tiny hard to see MQA logo.

This was an issue I had complained to Mytek about. I'll need to get the firmware and try it out.  I am happy to see that Mytek is very responsive.  They also updated the user manual -- it now includes mention of the HID volume settings, etc.

mQa is dead!

41 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Some MM cartridges are famous for hum.  This was the main reason for me switching to an MC high output cartridge on my main system. (I have not tried it with the Brookyln DAC yet, though.)

This is true. 

I am looking to upgrade the entire turntable setup from my current Project Debut Carbon to something much, much nicer including a decent MC cartridge setup. 

But I didnt want to do that until I ironed out what is going on with this gain/noise/hum issue first. 

Just interesting how appreciably more quiet my phono input on my old Marantz AV7702 is compared to the Brooklyn using the exact same turntable and stylus. Considering the Brooklyns Phono stage is a "Bonus $20,000 Phono Stage" according to Mytek. 

15 hours ago, lucretius said:

This was an issue I had complained to Mytek about. I'll need to get the firmware and try it out.  I am happy to see that Mytek is very responsive.  They also updated the user manual -- it now includes mention of the HID volume settings, etc.

I installed the 2.36 firmware.  The HID volume control now works well with the Windows system volume slider.  Unfortunately, some apps (that take exclusive control) do not play nice with the system volume slider) -- so I still prefer to disable HID volume.  Nonetheless, the Roon and Tidal apps work fine with the HID volume control.

mQa is dead!

Is anyone else having trouble with getting a lock with 192 over an optical connection from a Mac Pro?

I tried a couple of different cables  and players but have the same issue with Optical.

JRiver -> NAD M51 -> Questyle CMA800R -> HD800 - LCD-X

On 7/12/2017 at 0:18 AM, Sanlitun said:

Is anyone else having trouble with getting a lock with 192 over an optical connection from a Mac Pro?

I tried a couple of different cables  and players but have the same issue with Optical.

The manual says only up to 176 for optical - so you may be exceeding its capability.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Roon Software Release Notes.

This will make it much easier to create my own MQA tagged list in Roon.

MQA Detection

"This release also includes improved detection of MQA files. Up until now, we relied on file tags to identify MQA content, which was susceptible to incorrectly tagged files, and didn’t work with TIDAL streams. Starting with Build 242 MQA content will be identified by looking at the audio stream itself.

First, and most importantly, this means that we can now relay information about MQA streams to Roon Ready devices, which will enable partners to begin making MQA + RAAT work together.

Secondly, we can now sniff for MQA during audio analysis. This means that Roon can now identify improperly tagged MQA files as MQA and determine the original Sample Rate. While we’re not going to automatically re-analyze every track in every library, you can manually re-analyze any tracks in your library that might have been missed previously due to improper file tagging.

Finally, Roon will now detect MQA during playback and display it in Signal Path. This works for TIDAL content as well as local files, meaning you’ll be able to tell if a track is MQA and see its original sample rate by looking at the signal path in Roon, just as you would on an MQA-capable DAC like Mytek’s Brooklyn"

Yesterday on the JRiver Interact forum I posted the following:

Just purchased MC 23 along with a new PC to go with my Mytek Brooklyn DAC.  On my older, slower Windows 10 PC, MC 22 allowed me to select "Mytek USB Audio (ASIO)" as an Audio Device as instructed in the Mytek Software Setup User Guide.

For whatever reason JRiver MC 23 with my new PC does not does not see the Mytek audio options under Audio Device.

I did download the Mytek USB Driver for Win 10.  Both Tidal HiFi and Roon recognize the Mytek DAC and properly play back at all supported resolutions including MQA encoded files.

JRiver plays through the Brooklyn but only at 16 bit 24 KHz, even on Hi Rez files.
What am I missing?

As of now I have had no replies from the JRiver folks.  Today I rolled back to a Media Center 22 and after reinstalling the Mytek USB driver (several times), I finally got the Mytek Audio (ASIO) option to show up and for a brief time all was fine with JRiver, Mytek, and my new PC.

Not being one to leave well enough alone, I decided to reload MC 23.  Once I did I was right back to the same problem of JRiver not seeing the Brooklyn as an Audio Device.

Roon and Tidal continue to work fine through the Mytek.  I wonder if MS and their recent Class 2 USB audio support is causing some confusion between it and the Mytek USB audio driver.

There is one thing I am for sure not clear on. A line in Mytek’s USB 2.0 ASIO Software User Guide states “ensure that the Mytek Manhattan II DAC or The Brooklyn DAC is connected to your computer with its INPUT set to USB2.”

Does this mean (in theory) JRiver and the Brooklyn will work only via USB 2.0 and is not intended to work with a USB 3.0 connection, or is there really a USB2 input on my computer?  I know my new PC only has USB 3.0 connections. Then again, for a time, JRiver was showing the Brooklyn as an input device and all was working properly.

The good news is Roon and Tidal are playing well with the Brooklyn.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

5 hours ago, John Eaton said:

Yesterday on the JRiver Interact forum I posted the following:

Just purchased MC 23 along with a new PC to go with my Mytek Brooklyn DAC.  On my older, slower Windows 10 PC, MC 22 allowed me to select "Mytek USB Audio (ASIO)" as an Audio Device as instructed in the Mytek Software Setup User Guide.

For whatever reason JRiver MC 23 with my new PC does not does not see the Mytek audio options under Audio Device.

I did download the Mytek USB Driver for Win 10.  Both Tidal HiFi and Roon recognize the Mytek DAC and properly play back at all supported resolutions including MQA encoded files.

JRiver plays through the Brooklyn but only at 16 bit 24 KHz, even on Hi Rez files.
What am I missing?

As of now I have had no replies from the JRiver folks.  Today I rolled back to a Media Center 22 and after reinstalling the Mytek USB driver (several times), I finally got the Mytek Audio (ASIO) option to show up and for a brief time all was fine with JRiver, Mytek, and my new PC.

Not being one to leave well enough alone, I decided to reload MC 23.  Once I did I was right back to the same problem of JRiver not seeing the Brooklyn as an Audio Device.

Roon and Tidal continue to work fine through the Mytek.  I wonder if MS and their recent Class 2 USB audio support is causing some confusion between it and the Mytek USB audio driver.

There is one thing I am for sure not clear on. A line in Mytek’s USB 2.0 ASIO Software User Guide states “ensure that the Mytek Manhattan II DAC or The Brooklyn DAC is connected to your computer with its INPUT set to USB2.”

Does this mean (in theory) JRiver and the Brooklyn will work only via USB 2.0 and is not intended to work with a USB 3.0 connection, or is there really a USB2 input on my computer?  I know my new PC only has USB 3.0 connections. Then again, for a time, JRiver was showing the Brooklyn as an input device and all was working properly.

The good news is Roon and Tidal are playing well with the Brooklyn.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

I sometimes had this problem in the past when installing a new version of JRMC - I had a different DAC then. What I did after JRMC was installed was to uninstall the DAC's ASIO driver and reinstall it and then it would show up in JRMC and work fine.  In addition to the DAC, I also had a Soundblaster card installed in the computer at the time.

I still have JRMC version 22.0.108 installed and it's working fine with the Mytek Brooklyn.  No other sound sources/drivers are installed on my computer (turned off the motherboard sound in the bios - removed installed audio card). I am using Windows 10 Creators Update.

The DAC should work fine with the USB3 port - which is backwards compatible.

mQa is dead!

6 hours ago, lucretius said:

I sometimes had this problem in the past when installing a new version of JRMC - I had a different DAC then. What I did after JRMC was installed was to uninstall the DAC's ASIO driver and reinstall it and then it would show up in JRMC and work fine.  In addition to the DAC, I also had a Soundblaster card installed in the computer at the time.

I still have JRMC version 22.0.108 installed and it's working fine with the Mytek Brooklyn.  No other sound sources/drivers are installed on my computer (turned off the motherboard sound in the bios - removed installed audio card). I am using Windows 10 Creators Update.

The DAC should work fine with the USB3 port - which is backwards compatible.

Thank Lucretius,

I think my problem was similar to yours and related to the DAC USB driver.

After submitting my post above I continued experimenting by removing all three components, JRiver, the Mytek USB Audio Driver and the Mytek Control Panel, a fresh start so to speak.

With the Brooklyn still connected to my PC, I brought back the USB driver.  This required a restart.  I then loaded the control panel followed by Media Center 23.  

Finally, Success, the Mytek USB ASIO driver appeared in the JR Audio Device list! 

Now that I have Tidal HiFi and Roon, I will probably not use JRiver much anymore but nonetheless wanted everything to work as I knew it could.  My other reason is I've read more than once some people insist JRiver sounds just a bit better than Roon.  I'll have to experiment for myself.

Thanks again! 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, breadvan said:

Thanks I was wondering if there is like Version 1.1, 1.2 etc

Well, if you order it now, all the hard parts are fixed for life, and have the latest revisions. I got my Brooklyn in december 2015, and it has Board 3.0, whereas it now will have Board 3.x I guess.

More important, in my opinion, is the firmware, and the way it is updated. As Linux user I have to rely on someone with a Windows or Mac laptop to have it updated, so I walk a little behind with firmware 2.32, while 2.36 is out

Unfortunately the Brooklyn can't update itself.

Marc

Curious to me, but I just noticed of my three Diana Krall hi-res 24/96 recordings, the Mytek display is reporting other than 24-bit word depth on two of them.  23-bit 96K for The Look of Love, and 20-bit 96K for When I Look In Your Eyes.  I didn’t know 20 and 23-bit audio files existed.

In both cases both JRiver and Roon say those albums are 24-bit 96K FLAC files.  My other Diana Krall album, Love Scenes, displays 24/96.

Not sure why I even noticed such a thing.

John,

My system: Mac Mini with Roon Core -> SOtM sMS-200ultra -> Brooklyn

I have the DVD-A edition of The Look of Love (B0001604-19), and I get the same result as you: 23bit/96kHz. Roon reports the file as ALAC 96kHz 24bit 2 channel.

I ripped this record with DVD-Audio Explorer way back ('07).

Same result with When I Look In Your Eyes. DVD audio, catalog B0001286-19. Brooklyn reports 20bit 96 kHz. Roon 24 bit/96 kHz.

1552599603_2351a4a4c7.jpg

Diana Krall - When I Look In Your Eyes [B0001286-19] by Morten T, on Flickr

Strange thing for sure.

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 23.47.02.png

As a late comer (just received my unit this morning), my experience was very painless on Win 10, Tidal, etc. I'm glad I got to miss the teething pains! I discovered this thread when trying to confirm my understanding of the MQA indicator as being the dot instead of the icon (the manual has not been updated) without bothering support for a confirmation of something I was pretty sure of based on observation.

I have another question that I haven't figured out yet and don't feel it rises to the level to bother support. Does anyone know hat the secondary VU level meter (the bottom one on the Left display and the upper one on the Right display)?

Other than it always seems to be lower, I haven't figured out what it indicates.

My Brooklyn is still on 2.32. What you call "the secondary VU level meter" bottom left is an indication of the resolution in Khz, while the right display tells the output volume level.

But maybe I' don't understand your question.

I have still the big icon for MQA, but already the "new MQA decoder with new communication scheme" that came in 2.30. Now, with my humble AV streamer, it won't play MQA files any more at all, that is, it plays the music, but the MQA logo stays grey.

Before 2.32 it recognized MQA sources when I first had played  some regular music, but now I can't get it any more.

On the bright side, my not so humble Olive streamer is now more stable with MQA. Formerly it could drive the Brooklyn crazy when pausing and resuming an MQA-flac file.

Marc