IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

1 hour ago, Sanlitun said:

Yes it does lower the headphone gain. I felt the jumpers changed the sound quality as well.

I gave up on the idea of using the Brooklyn as  DAC component, in that role there is nothing special about it. I use it as an all-in-one with Focal's and it sounds fantastic. Better than most of the DAC and amplifier seperates I have heard.

Thanks so much. This is great to hear because the 6moons review says "the included jumpers can cut it by 6dB.  That applies to both the RCA and XLR outs but not the headphone ports."

http://6moons.com/audioreviews2/mytek/2.html

Are you using the balanced adapter for headphones too?

And the analogue vol control or digital?

I'm also considering this + a linear PSU or it's big brother, to replace separates.

Many thanks

On 9/6/2017 at 1:09 PM, Em2016 said:

Thanks so much. This is great to hear because the 6moons review says "the included jumpers can cut it by 6dB.  That applies to both the RCA and XLR outs but not the headphone ports."

http://6moons.com/audioreviews2/mytek/2.html

Are you using the balanced adapter for headphones too?

And the analogue vol control or digital?

I'm also considering this + a linear PSU or it's big brother, to replace separates.

This was one of the first things I had tested out when I got my Brooklyn. I had put in the jumpers the first day when I found the DAC output was too hot for most of the headphone amps I am using. I don't know why they say otherwise at 6Moons, maybe their revision was different then mine. It seems that they are on some rare drugs indeed over there, the Brooklyn review is not even dated.

I use the analogue volume for the onboard headphone jack, seems to sound better. I did try the balanced connector but I felt is sounded worse than going single ended. It looks like a lot of solder and plugs in the signal path so I am not surprised. It does give you more power, but with the headphones I use power is not an issue.

My chain as of now is PC to Schiit Eitr and then SPDIF into the Brooklyn and Focal Elear.  Using either the HD800S or the Elear  I find this to be the best and most enjoyable sound I have achieved at home. 

JRiver -> NAD M51 -> Questyle CMA800R -> HD800 - LCD-X

3 hours ago, Sanlitun said:

It seems that they are on some rare drugs indeed over there, the Brooklyn review is not even dated.

Ha! Agreed. And thank you for the info.

I have the HD-800S too. 

So sticking with the single ended headphone output, with the jumpers in how much volume control, on the volume knob, do you have vs without the jumpers?

Can you listen past 2 o'clock with the jumpers in? At which position is it 'too loud'?  Highly subjective I know but there's not much info, even forums, out there with headphone use surprisingly. So anything you can share will be helpful to me. 

Hi guys,

I’m another happy customer of Mytek Brooklyn.

I got it for over a month, replacing Bel Canto DAC 3.5MKII + RefLink combo, which is serving me quite well.

The reason for the upgrade is to minimize the components, and I’ve been collecting quite a bit of DSD music.

My set up is Mac Mini (late 2012, quad-core, 500ssd), running Roon Core, music library was stored in separate NAS.

Amplifier is Leben CS600 driving a pair of Harbeth SHL5+. The Mytek Brooklyn is working as a standalone DAC. It has been used for a few months so there is no burning process required. I also bought a SBooster Power Supply to use with the Mytek.

In the first 2 weeks, I use connect Mac Mini straight to Brooklyn via Curious USB Cable. The sound is excellent. I already sold the Bel Canto DAC however it’s waiting to be picked up, that’s why I had chance to compare them side by side. The Mytek to me is in another league. I don’t know how to describe how good it is in terms of technical thing but I really like its sound.

After 2, 3 weeks, I use MicroRendu as a Roon endpoint, and I notice a significant improvement in sound quality. The sound is outstanding much much more better. I can’t believe this little device is a game-changer for my digital music life. I wish I know about NAA (network audio adapter) earlier instead of direct usb connection.

Anyway, I’m experiencing some issues while using the Mytek Brooklyn that I want to ask for some experience:

1. Can I leave the Mytek Brooklyn on 24/24 rather than turning on and off every time? I already set the screen to turn off display after 5 secs.
  2. When switching to Analogue input, there is quite a loud hum/buzz (volume is always set at 0db, the hum reduced when I set the volume to -30db, however it also applies to other inputs which I don’t want). I’m using Clearaudio Concept turntable with Dynavector 20x2H cartridge (moving coil - 2.8mV). Is there any way to reduce the hum? Earth ground is connected on the Mytek and I have no problem with my other phono stage.
  3. When should I use the gain jumper? (in the manual there is only a small section about it so I’m not really sure).

I would be much appreciated if you guys can share with me some experience so I can use the Mytek Brooklyn effectively.

10 hours ago, kylevuong said:

When switching to Analogue input, there is quite a loud hum/buzz (volume is always set at 0db, the hum reduced when I set the volume to -30db, however it also applies to other inputs which I don’t want). I’m using Clearaudio Concept turntable with Dynavector 20x2H cartridge (moving coil - 2.8mV). Is there any way to reduce the hum? Earth ground is connected on the Mytek and I have no problem with my other phono stage.

To deal with hum can be a headache. There are multiply reasons for hum noises. Here is something to try: 1) Since you´re using a MC pickup it is important to keep a distance between the Brooklyn DAC and your turntable to ensure that the moving coil is not picking up any disturbances. 2) Re-check that the cartridge leads ans RCA plugs are firmly attached. 3) Make sure that the GND wire is firmly attached. If it is try to ground the wire to you amp. 4) Make sure that your turntable power cable is connected to the same power strip as your other audio gears. 5) Ensure that you have a clear distance between wireless devices and your turntable and that you have no LPS close to the turntable 6)If you have recently changed something step backwards (remove it) and see if that cures the problem.

That´s a start at least! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

2 minutes ago, mumsoft said:

Well, if you would be so kind to ask them when the Linux version of the control software will be available... that would at least save me some spinning! :$

Ha I can try. Btw they are much better on the phone than with email replies. Highly recommend a phone call.

34 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Ha I can try. Btw they are much better on the phone than with email replies. Highly recommend a phone call.

I find that true as well. Though I hate to bother people by phone (interrupt driven is very inefficient), I became quite disturbed at not knowing the status of my RMA after 2 wks and picked up the phone -- at least got a report that the unit is on the work table. Email and support ticketing proved to be super slow.

(Alas, I am still waiting for the unit, so this tale is still a story in progress... may need to pick up the phone again in a few days. Unfortunately, my enthusiasm for the Brooklyn fades with each passing day as a result. Reserving final judgment pending resolution.)

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

What was the issue with your Brooklyn? Only if you don't mind me asking, of course.

I will post an update when the issue is resolved and not be too critical too early... but it is an obvious hardware failure, not a poor sound issue or something more subject to interpretation...

I like supporting innovative vendors and understand that smaller vendors are sometimes stretched, so will offer the benefit of doubt, despite a bit of personal disappointment.

37 minutes ago, rayl1234 said:

I will post an update when the issue is resolved and not be too critical too early... but it is an obvious hardware failure, not a poor sound issue or something more subject to interpretation...

I like supporting innovative vendors and understand that smaller vendors are sometimes stretched, so will offer the benefit of doubt, despite a bit of personal disappointment.

Not a problem. In my previous job I saw even $200k luxury cars come with 0km faults...

Things happen in manufacturing (that slip through even the strictest QA/QC) and in shipping. It's how it's resolved that matters most.

20 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Ha! Agreed. And thank you for the info.

I have the HD-800S too. 

So sticking with the single ended headphone output, with the jumpers in how much volume control, on the volume knob, do you have vs without the jumpers?

Can you listen past 2 o'clock with the jumpers in? At which position is it 'too loud'?  Highly subjective I know but there's not much info, even forums, out there with headphone use surprisingly. So anything you can share will be helpful to me. 

With the HD800S I am generally running at no more than -44 or so which is plenty for me. I guess when looking at the volume display this is around 2 o' clock. With the Elears I listen at -53 which is about noon on the display.  Depending on the levels of the music sometimes these settings are even too loud for me.

RE the jumpers: When I compared having them in or out it was clear from the volume display that it was about a 6 db difference through single ended headphones. The difference in sound levels is really obvious, and I can't imagine why anyone at 6Moons or Mytek would say differently. Unless there has been a change to how the jumpers work. My Brooklyn is pretty new manufactured May 2017.

The big issue I found with the jumpers was not the level change but rather a sound quality change. It's just not as good with the jumpers in.  From looking at the board it seems they may add resistors to the signal path but I really don't know.

JRiver -> NAD M51 -> Questyle CMA800R -> HD800 - LCD-X

6 hours ago, Sanlitun said:

The big issue I found with the jumpers was not the level change but rather a sound quality change. It's just not as good with the jumpers in.  From looking at the board it seems they may add resistors to the signal path but I really don't know.

I have to thank you again for sharing because there's little info about the Brooklyn with headphones use - especially this stuff. At least in my searching.

Yes I've often found differences in output sound, with both DACs and amps that offer gain reduction using resistors.

While this allows everything to remain bit-perfect and keep the same SNR (compared with digital volume control) there's no such thing as a free lunch unfortunately, and sometimes things do sound difference with lower gain.

6 hours ago, Sanlitun said:

With the HD800S I am generally running at no more than -44 or so which is plenty for me. I guess when looking at the volume display this is around 2 o' clock.

And do you remember what you were using on the volume knob, without the jumpers with the HD800-S? Is it really bad, like you can't get past 9 o'clock without things being loud already?

On 9/11/2017 at 11:02 AM, Em2016 said:

Not a problem. In my previous job I saw even $200k luxury cars come with 0km faults...

Things happen in manufacturing (that slip through even the strictest QA/QC) and in shipping. It's how it's resolved that matters most.

I promised an update after my RMA issue has been resolved, so here it is.

The original problem was a broken LED. I received a replacement unit yesterday. Overall, I am satisfied and would definitely buy future products again, though perhaps through different processes (more later).

The defect materialized 7 or 8 days after receipt of the unit. (I am guessing it was a bad part and not Mytek's workmanship.)

Dealing with the support ticketing system was very slow, perhaps due to time zone differences or perhaps hardware problems (as oppose to use case problems) are an area support is less familiar with. In any case, it took over 7 calendar days to get an RMA issued.

The actual RMA process was a bit of a black hole. I don't like to call people (as I know it's more expensive to service telephone calls), but ended up doing so after 2 wks. Part of my anxiety is that I had a new pair of Focals coming in for 30 day demo...

An ETA was provided but was missed. Another call resulted in a replacement unit, with which I am happy despite being 3 wks after RMA and 4+ wks after initial problem -- I do love the product and want to see people making good products succeed. However, I wish post-sales support can be improved.

I've dealt with many audio vendors and dealers over the years, both on the hifi side and the pro side. Some are exceptional standouts in terms of service (PS Audio, Argosy Console and Vintage King come to mind). Others are clearly strained, unfortunately, so I take it in stride.

My one change next time might be to buy through a dealer and making early defects the dealer's problem. This reduces the margin to the manufacturer, but the sale still gets made.  E.g. I know Vintage King distributes for Mytek including the Brooklyn DACs as they are used for both pro mastering chains as well as for hifi... Next time, I may just call my rep at VK instead.

IMG_0811.JPG

Hope this helps others with figuring out when the resistors are needed, etc.

Now that I have a unit back, I've made some measurements on the XLR output using analog volume control to help understand how to hook it up to various equipment.

The table of measurements below seems to indicate the following interpretation:

Volume set at 0 (or bypass) is equivalent to +10 dBu (which is hotter than +4 dBu pro reference, hence the need for resistors, etc. if it's too hot for gear that only takes +4 dBu max input --- but it matches the +10 dBu that is the typical top of the scale on mixer controls, probably reflecting the unit's pro-audio mastering chain heritage).

Table of measurements across pins 1&2 (or equivalently 1&3) of ea balanced output for 440Hz sine wave (frequency shouldn't matter):

volume set at 0 = 6.8V peak-to-peak

vol -10 = 2.2V p-p

vol -20 = 0.7V p-p

vol -30 = 0.22V p-p

vol -40 = 0.07V p-p

One can confirm with a calculator like http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm (use the left dBu calculator). We see that we get the p-p voltages above with:

vol 0 = +10 dBu = 6.93V p-p (a tad short measured on my scope but close enough.... Much closer than +9 dBu which is only 6.2V)

vol -10 = 0 dBu = 2.2V p-p (also a tad short)

vol -20 = -10 dBu = 0.7V p-p (matches)

vol -30 = -20 dBu = 0.22V p-p (matches)

vol -40 = -30 dBu = 0.07V p-p

On 9/16/2017 at 6:26 PM, arcman said:

So lets say the Brooklyn did NOT have a phono pre AND pre-amp volume capabilities, how much would the unit sell for then? DSD and MQA licensing is not cheap from what I understand. My hesitation with the Mytek unit is like an A/V receiver. With so much crammed in the box for $1900, what quality level is one really getting? 

That is a fair question, and one that I asked before purchasing the Brooklyn DAC.  For me, the Brooklyn ($1,995) is at the "highest end" of what I would want to spend on a DAC.  I was looking primarily for two things that can sometimes cost much more - the ability to do MQA and Quad DSD playback.  I did not even factor in the headphone amp and phono preamp, because I do not do vinyl and I already have a headphone amp that I am pleased with (Schiit Asgard 2).  BTW - the Asgard 2 sounds way better to me than the headphone amp in the Brooklyn, although I am only using it single-ended, so I may not have the full scoop...  All that said, the proof is in the actual listening, and I have never heard a better DAC (and I have used several).  In my experience, it has no resemblance to an AV receiver (trying to do too much at a certain price point).  For my money, it is a clear winner - I am very pleased with my purchase.

Hello,

My Brooklyn is playing up while streaming MQA through Tidal.

When playing any given MQA file the MQA signal is dropping out on a regular basis. I noticed a clicking sound and when looking at the display screen see that say an MQA file is streaming at 24/96 there will be a click and the blue MQA light fades and the stream drops to 24/48 for a second or two then another click and it'll go back to 24/96. This dropping out is happening every few seconds. 

I'm on latest software. Never noticed or had this before but that said I haven't played lots of MQA via Tidal until recently.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on how to stop it etc appreciated.

Morph.