IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

1 hour ago, conqubite said:

I use the XLR outputs of the brooklyn on mij Pahtos Logos. 

Conqubite – I had never heard of “Pathos Logos” amplifiers… So, I Googled it.  Wow, I have never seen a more elegant thing in my life!  The Pathos Logos MK II is absolutely stunning. 

Do the heatsinks on your amp actually spell out “PATHOS LOGOS”?  I sold extruded aluminum for nearly 40 years and I can attest the Pathos Logos heatsinks would be extremely difficult / nearly impossible profiles to produce.

I downloaded all 750 MB of the 2L DSD 256 Mozart: Violin concerto in D major – Allegro and successfully played it back via JRiver and the Brooklyn.  It sounded glorious.  The MQA version of this piece on Tidal sounds wonderful as well although I’m not ready to state it the equal of the huge DSD file.

Now with DSD playback capability confirmed on my system I decided to try routing a SACD in DSD over S/PDIF coax from an Oppo BDP-105D to the Brooklyn.  The result was “No Lock”.   I did select the DSD output option for SACD playback on the Oppo.

I confirmed my connections and settings as I was able to play a red book CD via this setup.

So, my plan to use the Brooklyn to decode 2 channel SACD’s in DSD appears to have run into the Digital Rights Management wall.

Am I wrong about this or is there a way to route SACD playback in DSD through the Brooklyn?

Thanks!

I am not sure what you are asking.  

You stated that you " downloaded all 750 MB of the 2L DSD 256 Mozart: Violin concerto in D major – Allegro and successfully played it back via JRiver and the Brooklyn.  It sounded glorious."

Then you tried to run it through the Oppo to the Brooklyn:  Why?

Then you  state that "my plan to use the Brooklyn to decode 2 channel SACD’s in DSD appears to have run into the Digital Rights Management wall."  Again, why do this if you can run JRiver direct to the Brooklyn?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

@John Eaton you are correct about the SACD DRM - you can't output the DSD stream from a player like the OPPO. (I don't think you can push DSD through S/PDIF anyway)  Some companies have paid for the ability to stream it from a transport to a DAC, such as Playback Designs, McIntosh and a few others, but in a closed system.  

54 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I am not sure what you are asking.  

You stated that you " downloaded all 750 MB of the 2L DSD 256 Mozart: Violin concerto in D major – Allegro and successfully played it back via JRiver and the Brooklyn.  It sounded glorious."

Then you tried to run it through the Oppo to the Brooklyn:  Why?

Then you  state that "my plan to use the Brooklyn to decode 2 channel SACD’s in DSD appears to have run into the Digital Rights Management wall."  Again, why do this if you can run JRiver direct to the Brooklyn?

Kal, thanks for taking an interest.  Obviously I wasn't clear.  I did not attempt to route the DSD Mozart piece through the Oppo.  I was attempting to route the DSD stream from a 2 channel SACD, (The Byrds Greatest Hits) from the Oppo (as a transport) to the Brooklyn via S/PDIF coax.  My Classé SSP-800 does not decode DSD so I was attempting to use the Brooklyn to listen to a 2 channel SACD in native DSD rather than it having to be converted to PCM.  (I know the Oppo does decode DSD and I could output analog from the Oppo, but shouldn't the Mytek be a better DAC than the Oppo?  Why not experiment?)

Are you saying there is a way for me to rip my 2 channel SACD collection and playback in DSD via JRiver?  That would be great if its possible.

BTW, just as another experiment I downloaded the MQA version of the 2L Mozart concerto piece, added it to my JRiver library and played it.

JRiver saw it a  24 bit/44.1 K and the Brooklyn unfolded it as 24 bit/352.8K complete with the MQA light lit. 

Pretty cool!

2 minutes ago, John Eaton said:

Kal, thanks for taking an interest.  Obviously I wasn't clear.  I did not attempt to route the DSD Mozart piece through the Oppo.  I was attempting to route the DSD stream from a 2 channel SACD, (The Byrds Greatest Hits) from the Oppo (as a transport) to the Brooklyn via S/PDIF coax.  My Classé SSP-800 does not decode DSD so I was attempting to use the Brooklyn to listen to a 2 channel SACD in native DSD rather than it having to be converted to PCM.  (I know the Oppo does decode DSD and I could output analog from the Oppo, but shouldn't the Mytek be a better DAC than the Oppo?  Why not experiment?)

Are you saying there is a way for me to rip my 2 channel SACD collection and playback in DSD via JRiver?  That would be great if its possible.

BTW, just as another experiment I downloaded the MQA version of 2L Mozart piece, added it to my JRiver library and played it.

JRiver saw it a  24 bit/44.1 K and the Brooklyn unfolded it as 24 bit/352.8K complete with the MQA light lit.  Pretty cool!

Yes, you can rip SACD to a playable ISO file...and even use your OPPO, assuming it has the correct Mediatek chips...

You can also use certain editions of the Sony PS3 console.

I have used my Mytek Brooklyn dac with both a Parasound P 5 stereo preamplifier and a Primaluna Dialogue preamplifier and the best sound I get is when I connect the Mytek Brooklyn dac directly to my poweramplifier Parasound A 21 using the Brooklyn dacs preamplifier with the analogue volumecontoller. 

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/pathos/open.png

2 hours ago, John Eaton said:

Conqubite – I had never heard of “Pathos Logos” amplifiers… So, I Googled it.  Wow, I have never seen a more elegant thing in my life!  The Pathos Logos MK II is absolutely stunning. 

Do the heatsinks on your amp actually spell out “PATHOS LOGOS”?  I sold extruded aluminum for nearly 40 years and I can attest the Pathos Logos heatsinks would be extremely difficult / nearly impossible profiles to produce.

I have the mk I. The mk II had an inbuilt dac and with the brookyn you don't need that;).

And yes, the heatsink spells Pathos .:x Not Logos though...

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/pathos/open.png

9 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Yes, you can rip SACD to a playable ISO file...and even use your OPPO, assuming it has the correct Mediatek chips...

You can also use certain editions of the Sony PS3 console.

Hmmmm... doesn't this raise some interesting questions then?  Too bad my early fat PS3 died about a year ago.  I did replace it with another much newer PS3, but somehow I suspect the old PS3's are what's needed.

How does one determine if the Oppo has the Mediatek chips?

Thanks BigGuy!  Somehow I don't think my wife finds this news as fascinating as I do.

27 minutes ago, John Eaton said:

Hmmmm... doesn't this raise some interesting questions then?  Too bad my early fat PS3 died about a year ago.  I did replace it with another much newer PS3, but somehow I suspect the old PS3's are what's needed.

Thanks BigGuy!  Somehow I don't think my wife finds this news as fascinating as I do.

I do not remember if it was mentioned in the (long) thread how to determine which OPPO, etc., have the correct chipset.  It may be as simple as taking the top off...

Here is how to determine if a PS3 is suitable for ripping SACDs...

http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq.html#_Toc180147566

and how to do it...

https://newtoolbox.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/sacd-ripper-primer-v4-0.pdf

2 hours ago, John Eaton said:

BTW, just as another experiment I downloaded the MQA version of the 2L Mozart concerto piece, added it to my JRiver library and played it.

JRiver saw it a  24 bit/44.1 K and the Brooklyn unfolded it as 24 bit/352.8K complete with the MQA light lit. 

Pretty cool!

How would you describe the difference between the DSD version and the MQA version?

3 hours ago, John Eaton said:

If the Oppo is a 103, 105, 103D, or 105D (and "all region" modifications seem to be included--certainly my "all region" Oppo 103 works), the Oppo has the Mediatek chips that permit SACD ripping to ISO.  No other Oppos have the proper Mediatek chips.

Thanks very much for the input from Solstice380, BigGuy, and darkmass. 

As much as I really love the convenience of JRiver and JRemote for playing my HDTracks, a few ripped CD’s, and hopefully a growing list of MQA files, I fear attempting to rip SACD’s is beyond my comfort level.  Besides, most of my less than extensive library of SACD’s and DVD-Audio discs are multi-channel.

As an indication of my feeble computer skills I realized one of the 2L samples downloaded to JRiver in MQA was no longer playing in MQA according to the Brooklyn.  Also, the sampling rate was now showing 44.1 instead of 352.8.  What the heck?

As it turns out I had inadvertently touched the volume slider within the JRiver app and lowered the volume just ever so slightly.  When I noticed that and adjusted the volume back to 100%, the MQA light lit and the sample rate went back to 352.8.  (Whew!! Glad I figured it out.)

I can only assume even a slight change in volume within JRiver makes the transfer to the Brooklyn no longer bit perfect.

I now have downloaded the Mozart Violin concerto in D in DSD 128, PCM 24/192, and MQA. 

When I get some alone time, I will do some serious listening and attempt to determine whether I can hear a meaningful difference.  My first impression is if I can detect any difference it will be very slight.

33 minutes ago, John Eaton said:

As much as I really love the convenience of JRiver and JRemote for playing my HDTracks, a few ripped CD’s, and hopefully a growing list of MQA files, I fear attempting to rip SACD’s is beyond my comfort level.  Besides, most of my less than extensive library of SACD’s and DVD-Audio discs are multi-channel.

John,

There is no denying that ripping SACDs can be a bit fiddly, but if you have one of the players that support it, it's not that hard. And once you've done one, the remainder are a piece of cake.

Regarding multichannel - that's no problem. You actually rip in 3 steps:

• rip (and decrypt) the sacd layer from the disc onto your computer as an ISO file
  • extract the 2ch tracks from the ISO using ISO2DSD or similar
  • extract the Mch tracks in a second pass

DVD Audio is a different process, different tools, same idea.

No doubt, there is a learning curve, but it's not insurmountable.

1 hour ago, John Eaton said:

It is like many other tasks.  It seems challenging at the start and some people have had a difficult beginning. However, once you have done 1 or 2, it becomes a simple repetitive task.  I have ripped a couple of thousand so far and, from almost all, extracted only the multichannel tasks. 

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Thanks all for the encouragement, or is that pressure I'm feeling to join the SACD rip club? 

My Oppo is a 105D so it looks like i cant use the "I don't have the right equipment excuse". 

There also appears to be plenty of help right here if I decide to trudge forward with the project.  

I'll give it some serious thought.

Thanks a bunch!

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎24 at 4:37 PM, jtwrace said:

If you're going to connect the Brooklyn to an external preamp I highly suggest putting the Brooklyn in Bypass mode which eliminates the volume control on the Brooklyn.  There is NO need to have it enabled. 

I was trying to help out John... I use the Brooklyn as a preamp connected directly into a power amp using the analog volume control. Before then I used the XLR out into a preamp and in bypass mode but had the overload issue with loudly mastered material, even with jumpers installed. That was the way I originally had intended to use it but I must say I'm impressed with the Brooklyn as a DAC/preamp so all is well.

That is what I intend to do also with my next amp upgrade. However, I'm looking to find or build a high quality xlr switch because I need my amp (power) for unity gain mode for home cinema and HiFi. Basically I want to switch my stereo HiFi speakers between HiFi mode and home cinema and today I do this with my integrated amp that has a unity gain setting (an input can be defined with fixed attenuation (or none)). 

I was thinking of routing the home cinema processor through the Brooklyn but this seems complicated, won't support balanced in and has no set volume per input. 

@John Eaton and others.. This is a good read from the designer Michal himself on the Brooklyn DAC. A good reminder sometimes of the effort and focus that the designer went into on the components and also (description references the previous DAC generation) describes the various voltage levels and reference points for XLR balanced and unbalanced outputs. Also comments about downstream equipment. https://mytekdigital.com/download_library/Engineering_and_Design_Philosopy_of_Mytek_Brooklyn_DAC.pdf

6 hours ago, m5sime said:

@John Eaton and others.. This is a good read from the designer Michal himself on the Brooklyn DAC. A good reminder sometimes of the effort and focus that the designer went into on the components and also (description references the previous DAC generation) describes the various voltage levels and reference points for XLR balanced and unbalanced outputs. Also comments about downstream equipment. https://mytekdigital.com/download_library/Engineering_and_Design_Philosopy_of_Mytek_Brooklyn_DAC.pdf

Thanks m5sime for a very interesting read.  When I called Mytek and actually got through to Michal to discuss my overload distortion issue he told me the Brooklyn output voltage was higher and was often a better match for professional recording rather than consumer HiFi equipment.  

Michal assured me installing the jumpers would resolve my overload issue and he was right.

Truth be told I was actually a little disappointed that my rather expensive Classé SSP-800 preamp-processor could not accept the Brooklyn’s output voltage without distorting.  (What kind of wimpy damn pre-pro did I buy for Pete’s sake?)

After reading the article I decided to take a look at the Classé published specs for my pre-pro, see below.

Maximum input level

2vrms
Single ended via DSP
6vrms
Single ended via bypass
4vrms
Balanced via DSP
12vrms
Balanced via bypass

In my case I have the Brooklyn connected via XLR’s to the balanced input on the SSP-800.  I have two configurations assigned to this input. 

One configuration is named “2.1”; this is stereo with sub-woofer.  To include the sub, the Classé digitizes the incoming signal to derive the sub channel.

The other configuration is named “2.0 bypass” and is a pure direct mode with no digitization at all.

I can’t help but think if I would have used the 2.0 bypass configuration I would not have encountered overload distortion.  The 12vrms stated above for Balanced via bypass is greater than the Max output for the Brooklyn stated as 9.79vrms in Michal’s article.

Oh well, the jumpers are in place now and everything sounds fine.  I will do my critical listening with the Classé in bypass mode and use the 2.1 config when I want to rock out.

7 minutes ago, John Eaton said:

Maximum input level

2vrms
Single ended via DSP
6vrms
Single ended via bypass
4vrms
Balanced via DSP
12vrms
Balanced via bypass

Hi John, yes it seems the 12vrms is only applicable to bypass. If you send to the DSP (where likely the circuit is single ended only, the max is 4vrms).. I would assume bypass is the best!

8 hours ago, Veovis said:

I was trying to help out John... I use the Brooklyn as a preamp connected directly into a power amp using the analog volume control. Before then I used the XLR out into a preamp and in bypass mode but had the overload issue with loudly mastered material, even with jumpers installed. That was the way I originally had intended to use it but I must say I'm impressed with the Brooklyn as a DAC/preamp so all is well.

Veovis, out of curiosity, are you now using the Brooklyn as Pre Amp going into Amp with the XLR (balanced) or with RCA (Single ended)? 

Also are you still using the jumpers installed or have you removed them now when using Brooklyn as Pre? 

Last, what Amp are you using (so I can compare input specs vs my Amp). 

Thanks 

Just now, agladstone said:

Veovis, out of curiosity, are you know using the Brooklyn as Pre Amp going into Amp with the XLR (balanced) or with RCA (Single ended)? 

Also are you still using the jumpers installed or have you removed them now when using Brooklyn as Pre? 

Last, what Amp are you using (so I can compare input specs vs my Amp). 

Thanks 

I use the Brooklyn direct to my Crown DCi 4/1250 that drive my JBL M2 Master Reference Monitors. 

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Wow, it seems the main thing that was holding me back from buying a Brooklyn - USB HID volume control - has now been added via firmware:

https://mytekdigital.com/download_library/firmware/BrooklynDAC_firmware_readme.txt

v2.33  / 2017-05-08
	- fixed: playback failure on osx
	- added: mute to "HID" volume control
	- added "HID" volume control

Is anyone with a Brooklyn hooked up to a Mac computer able to confirm that this works as expected?

Thanks!

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

I know this is an extremely small nit, but personally I do not like the MQA logo implementation on firmware version 2.34.  (The only change I can see).  Having the logo ever present with just a tiny dot to indicate MQA playback is too hard to see from any distance.

My guess is MQA Limited insisted there be an MQA logo always present, thus the change.

I preferred the 2.32 logo so I switched back.  For whatever reason 2.33 is not listed.  I’m not using a Mac or HID volume so no matter.  

Nonetheless, I'm sure at some point a revised firmware release with features I want will force me to accept whatever MQA logo is deemed necessary.