IGNORED

ECdesigns

10 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Last night I started up my system at 10 pm and for the first half hour things did not sound great. But I ended up staying up listening to music until 2AM... 

yep that's what I do and a great non theoretical way to describe what matches my experience.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

3 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

@matthias

Hi Matt, can you please compare your current source with the Taiko Extreme (both hooked up to the ECD combo) and share your findings? Thanks in advance!

Now that would would be worth reading about! 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

In addition, the added transparency offered by the ECD stack has to be "preserved" and not destroyed by the rest of the system (amplification and speakers). So it takes some tuning there as well. We'll see in due time what their PowerDAC brings to the table. In the meantime, I don't think it is so obvious to know whether one's system is capable or not of delivering...  How do you determine that an amplifier/speakers provide very little distortion? Maybe listening to vinyl? It is not that obvious...

5 hours ago, tapatrick said:

The XMOS module in the U192 probably handles up to 192KHz by default. Honestly this hasn't bothered me as the SQ is so satisfying but if you have a library of higher res music then that would be a party stopper.

Thanks. (BTW, stock XMOS code goes to 384 these days.) I do have some material at 192, but really I am just trying to understand the capabilities and function of the pieces together before I make the purchase.

5 hours ago, tapatrick said:

PS the U192 using toslink into my PS Audio DAC sounds superb... :) 

Now that is interesting and brings to mind a different question: Will the U192 accept DSD64 and pass that out via Toslink to a DAC? (Sorry if this is a dumb question; I just woke up and my brain is not remembering if DSD can even be handled by Toslink in general.)

I do have a library of DSD64 albums that I would not want to be cut off from. Could see keeping a separate DAC just for DSD and swapping Toslink cable in place of ElectoTOS when needed.

48 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Now that is interesting and brings to mind a different question: Will the U192 accept DSD64 and pass that out via Toslink to a DAC? (Sorry if this is a dumb question; I just woke up and my brain is not remembering if DSD can even be handled by Toslink in general.)

I do have a library of DSD64 albums that I would not want to be cut off from. Could see keeping a separate DAC just for DSD and swapping Toslink cable in place of ElectoTOS when needed.

I have a Weather Report DSD64 album which I can play via U192/ElectroTos into my PS Audio Toslink input (needs a jumper pulled out at back of U192). The toslink input on PS DAC only goes to 96KHz and I have to play this through Roon's DSD via PCM (DOP) so not pure DSD. To be honest I can't get my head around all this either and I've had the the coffee!

The ElectroTos cable is an intriguing interconnect with a high definition LED at the end so I'm not sure it would allow for a lot of plugging/unplugging as it looks fragile not being the usual metal connectors.

The U192 does bring its own magic but the combo with the Fractal DAC is where the icing on the cake lies...

1 hour ago, Norton said:

I suspect that the DAC is actually the cake and so far the UPL has been my preferred icing, but I’ll give the U192 flavour another  try when it comes back from upgrade.

Staying with the analogy, it would be good to hear more views about the cake recipe...

Fair enough probably more accurate layering - either way round with the combo you can have your cake and eat it....  :) 

Looking forward to another owner review.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

I'm trying to watch my calories you guys are talking about cake. Sheesh! :P

it's vegan, sugar free and very delicious therefore guilt and calorie free... :)

16 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Should be a fun little project.

Interesting little device, looking forward to your findings.

Has anyone else experimented with wifi versus wired network connection? If so, could you detail the configuration ?

I suspect my wired network carries with it a lot of garbage (noise), but wireless does seem to offer really good sound quality, provided the connection is robust, and that may be a direct consequence of this "bandwidth limiting". So I am curious to find out if that is the case for others. 

@hopkins I pulled out Ian Canada's LifePo4 power supply with Ultacap modification which I used to use to power my SD Card transport with 2x 3.3V outputs. I used the 5V output of course which unfortunately does not utilise the batteries and ultracaps (needs to be an output in multiples of the batteries 3.3v to do that). But you can see from diagram that it goes through 2 regulators after the charging PSU. I didn't expect that much but the sound was surprisingly good which reminded me to read up on the specs for the U192.

689189711_Screenshot2020-09-01at18_28_50.thumb.png.de9e0bb0e2f2a2e3c4bf596649da8a25.png

"Power supply filters inside the (U192) translator clean up the USB bus power supply to obtain clean supply voltages for the translator circuits. .....ElectroTos completely insulates the PC / streamer from the DAC, eliminating ground loop noise and wired LAN related sound quality degradation."

This confirms to me that the effort EC designs has put into cleaning up the input voltage has paid off and why I have found it difficult to tell the difference between 5V inputs (once they are decent enough that is). It may not bring any more benefit due to how well EC have isolated the 5V USB but I may experiment later this month with adding Ian Canadas UcConditioner 5V to the above which is basically an UltraCap add on that conditions the output of any 5V PSU.

477483667_Screenshot2020-09-01at18_36_04.thumb.png.ad80284bd249b93f1a5a24cccbf0aea5.png

I have found Ultracaps to bring significant improvement when used. Ian also produces a Conditioner Pi module. This is an UltraCap Pi add on specifically designed to condition the 5V power input to the Pi. Let me know if you would like to know more or you can find info here :

https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload/blob/master/UltraCapacitorPowerSupply/ConditionerPi/ConditionerPi.pdf

Thanks. I looked at that battery module. Its a little expensive, and am not sure it is worth going there as opposed to simply using a 3.7v lithium battery. Also, 3.3v is insufficient for the U192 (3.5v min.)

Since I am going to build a lower power source with its own battery supply, powering the U192 seperately is better, The batteries I will be using should last more than 10 hours, so that should be plenty. 

The board I will be using has a "power dock" that handles recharging, so that should be very convenient: 

https://onion.io/store/power-dock-2/

1 hour ago, hopkins said:

Thanks. I looked at that battery module. Its a little expensive, and am not sure it is worth going there as opposed to simply using a 3.7v lithium battery. Also, 3.3v is insufficient for the U192 (3.5v min.)

Since I am going to build a lower power source with its own battery supply, powering the U192 seperately is better, The batteries I will be using should last more than 10 hours, so that should be plenty. 

The board I will be using has a "power dock" that handles recharging, so that should be very convenient: 

https://onion.io/store/power-dock-2/

Yes I think the 5V into the U192 is what matters. I spent a long time trying & researching batteries and the Ultracaps are the pinnacle.. Enjoy the journey! :)