IGNORED

ECdesigns

38 minutes ago, hopkins said:

The rest of the session showed that a "top notch" USB source sounded better than my RaspberryPi 4

Would you mind disclosing the USB source?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

18 hours ago, hopkins said:

Yes, exactly. But do it at your own risk :) 

Power consumption of the U192 is very low - forgot what John stated, but it is less than 100mA.

FWIW, John replied and confirmed "The U192ETL draws approx. 80mA and requires at least 3.5V input voltage".

Also, vis a vis lead times, he confirmed they recieved a new batch of parts... 

47 minutes ago, hopkins said:

FWIW, John replied and confirmed "The U192ETL draws approx. 80mA and requires at least 3.5V input voltage".

Thanks for sharing.

IMO, with these specs it should be possible to provide an excellent voltage regulation with USB Vbus only so that additional PSs like Paul Hynes are not necessary for better SQ.

I have got the impression from the recent posts that the PSs of ECD devices might be their weakest point.

Matt

41 minutes ago, matthias said:

Thanks for sharing.

IMO, with this specs it should be possible to provide an excellent voltage regulation with USB Vbus only so that additional PSs like Paul Hynes are not necessary for better SQ.

Matt

Well, at least we know it is possible to experiment with a wider range of supplies. 

From the start, and due to this bandwidth limiting, my feeling is that what is known to work  in a traditional setup may work differently with the U192. We have to go into this with an open mind :)

Let's take an example.  With a traditional USB source, one could prefer a supply with high noise below 20Mhz but very low noise above 20Mhz... Whereas with the U192, that same supply would give poor results. In a way, I think that is what is going on with wired vs. Wifi. Could be wrong...

But I would like to stress that this tweaking may not be necessary at all. In my case, I had been using the UPL16 exclusively for two years to listen to music. I did not have anything else than a Raspberrypi to stream music, and it always gave bad results ("digital" sound) before. It was much better with the U192, but I did not stop there. Moreover, I am convinced that my electrical supply (grid) is really poor.

1 hour ago, hopkins said:

Well, at least we know it is possible to experiment with a wider range of supplies. 

From the start, and due to this bandwidth limiting, my feeling is that what is known to work  in a traditional setup may work differently with the U192. We have to go into this with an open mind :)

Let's take an example.  With a traditional USB source, one could prefer a supply with high noise below 20Mhz but very low noise above 20Mhz... Whereas with the U192, that same supply would give poor results. In a way, I think that is what is going on with wired vs. Wifi. Could be wrong...

But I would like to stress that this tweaking may not be necessary at all. In my case, I had been using the UPL16 exclusively for two years to listen to music. I did not have anything else than a Raspberrypi to stream music, and it always gave bad results ("digital" sound) before. It was much better with the U192, but I did not stop there. Moreover, I am convinced that my electrical supply (grid) is really poor.

An USB powered device must be quite immune against the power supply of the source since the manufacturer want to provide a certain SQ that must not be dependent on the source power.

A nice example is the Khadas Tone Board. A cheap as it is it seems not to be very dependent on the quality of the USB Vbus.

I respect the ECD designers highly. If you read their comments on diyaudio you get the imprsssion they have a profound understanding of electronics and are very creative in their DAC design.

It just appears to me that they regard power supplies not as important as their electronic developments.

Matt

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

So then what is the point of the making it the U192–if the DAC it is designed to feed only accepts rates to 96KHz? O.o

(And I hope nobody suggests it is so that the U192 can be used as a USB>TOSlink converted with other DACs at 192KHz. 9_9)

One for John Brown :)

The XMOS module in the U192 probably handles up to 192KHz by default. Honestly this hasn't bothered me as the SQ is so satisfying but if you have a library of higher res music then that would be a party stopper.

PS the U192 using toslink into my PS Audio DAC sounds superb... :) 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

15 minutes ago, roberto2 said:

Hi,

this is my set up (just for information):

Roon server running ROCK on a i7 miniPC powered by a Zerozone PS

Uptone EtherRegen with 80€ external 10Mhz clock powered by a PH SR4

SOtM sMS-200 Ultra Neo with SOtM tx-USBHUBEX reclocked by the sms-200 Ultra, powered by SOtM sms-500

Thanks for chiming in.

Would you mind commenting on:

1.) USB > Terminator

vs

2.) USB > U192 toslink > Terminator

vs

3.) USB > U192 > Fractal DAC

Thank you 🙂

Matt

11 minutes ago, matthias said:

An USB powered device must be quite immune against the power supply of the source since the manufacturer want to provide a certain SQ that must not be dependent on the source power.

A nice example is the Khadas Tone Board. A cheap as it is it seems not to be very dependent on the quality of the USB Vbus.

I respect the ECD designers highly. If you read their comments on diyaudio you get the imprsssion they have a profound understanding of electronics and are very creative in their DAC design.

It just appears to me that they regard power supplies not as important as their electronic developments.

Matt

I own a Khadas, and however much I like it, and in spite of the glowing feedback and measurements you can read about, it is not the most transparent DAC out there. It has a well balanced and pleasing sound, but the fact that it may not be sensitive to upstream components may only mean that it is limited in some way.

Concerning the power supply, ECD did mention that the power supply to the U192 could be improved upon (as opposed to powering it from the source).

For the DAC, I have no idea, and don't intend on trying alternatives, as I don't see that as a priority, but others have and reported an improvement. 

I believe ECD does take into account customer feedback, and as we well know are always striving to improve their products. So if there are opportunities for improvement I can only encourage people to have that discussion with them.

5 minutes ago, hopkins said:

I own a Khadas, and however much I like it, and in spite of the glowing feedback and measurements you can read about, it is not the most transparent DAC out there. It has a well balanced and pleasing sound, but the fact that it may not be sensitive to upstream components may only mean that it is limited in some way.

Concerning the power supply, ECD did mention that the power supply to the U192 could be improved upon (as opposed to powering it from the source).

For the DAC, I have no idea, and don't intend on trying alternatives, as I don't see that as a priority, but others have and reported an improvement. 

I believe ECD does take into account customer feedback, and as we well know are always striving to improve their products. So if there are opportunities for improvement I can only encourage people to have that discussion with them.

Put the Fractal DAC on a Tentlabs 5 V shunt supply, it's a huge differance, the original PS dilivered with the Fractal DAC is just a rectified PS with filtering and no stabilization what so ever, they keep on doing this with there products for years saying it doesn't make a difference......but it does.

7 minutes ago, hopkins said:

I think they are too busy to participate in this thread, but I hope they are monitoring it.

Matt

10 minutes ago, matthias said:

Thanks for chiming in.

Would you mind commenting on:

1.) USB > Terminator

vs

2.) USB > U192 toslink > Terminator

vs

3.) USB > U192 > Fractal DAC

Thank you 🙂

Matt

I gave some comments on this already which I think reflected the participant's point of view, but Roberto will feel free to contradict me :)

Regardless, you have to keep in mind the context of these tests. You show up at someone's house with a bag of equipment, eager to test it out, and it is not always that simple. The last test I did (at Ben75's) we had similar "warm up" problems, and it was not entirely satisfactory. Here, the I think there may have been several issues that slightly diminished the performance - I certainly did not have the "wow" effect that the UPL brings. Roberto's system is very good, but in spite of this I still came out of it thinking that we could have done things a little differently. So let's keep that in mind.

2 hours ago, matthias said:

I have got the impression from the recent posts that the PSs of ECD devices might be their weakest point.

It's semantics but I think that is an overstatement :) because the supplied PSU for the DAC I have found to be very good and the USB 5V is dependent on the source.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

9 minutes ago, Tzougie said:

it's a huge differance, the original PS dilivered with the Fractal DAC is just a rectified PS with filtering and no stabilization what so ever, they keep on doing this with there products for years saying it doesn't make a difference......but it does.

'Huge' ...please describe the differences in SQ as I'm curious to understand what you are hearing. There are so many variables, personal tastes and opinions with online reports that it is difficult to get objectivity. For instance I know my Amps and Speakers bring lets say (arbitrarily) 80% to the SQ - this will not be the case for anyone else unless they have the same set up...

15 minutes ago, matthias said:

That is exactly my point of concern.

Matt

:)

I mean Source Independence requires at least:

1.) Integrity of power

2.) Integrity of data

Both points are mandatory. 

ad 1.) The device must provide its own HQ power source or regenerate the incoming power.

ad 2.) The device must regenerate the data in the best possible way. There are expensive DACs which provide a double reclocking. Maybe there are other methods.

I see a long way to go for achieving Source Independence.

Matt

18 minutes ago, hopkins said:

If you are trying to convince yourself to buy a Taiko Extreme, then by all means, do yourself (and us) a favor and go for it!  😁

I see in your future a Taiko Extreme feeding a Khadas DAC... 

The ECD products are certainly great value for money devices and it makes much sense to discuss about.

The single problem is that someone claimed source independency for these.

Matt