IGNORED

ECdesigns

There have been previous reports in the thread of various power supplies and sources together with the ECD combo. I made some experiments of these things yesterday and I write here my personal impressions:

1. Impact of the powersupply to the DA96 DAC

Stock supply VS very clean regulated supply (iFi iUSBpower fed by Salas shuntreg)  

2. Impact of the source

old server VS new server

Old server is an Intel I3 system with standard quality hardware, using PicoPSU (DC-DC switchmode converter) power, fed from a standard quality Velleman 13.8V LPSU. New server is an AMD Ryzen system with selected hardware (JCAT USB card, Optane drive etc) using dedicated high quality low-noice LPSU rails for all components. Both servers use the same OS/Player/Settings/Software optimizations.

Some month ago when I made experiment 2 with my prevous DAC (Amanero/ESS9018 DAC), there was a very big difference in sound quality between the servers, where the old server sounded almost muddy when compared with the new. This time comparing them using the ECD combo, I found most of the difference is gone! Both servers now sound great. Almost disappointing to me, since I spent much money and building effort on the new server :) Oh well, the new server still sounds somewhat better to me, but the difference is now much more subtle. I would say I can hear bigger difference doing up- or downsampling, or even changing the dither algorithm.

With experiment 1, there was bigger difference. With the stock power supply, I found the music a little more "grey" and somewhat restricted in dynamics. I would say the improvement using high quality power to the DA96 is worth the effort and extra cost.    

Takehome message: Power supply quality seems to matter more for the DA96, than for the U192.

There seems to be some merit to ECDesigns claims of source independence. Not complete source independence for sure, but much more so than my prevous DAC, that is very clear.         

57 minutes ago, realDHT said:

Takehome message: Power supply quality seems to matter more for the DA96, than for the U192.      

Thanks for the report! Interesting conclusion, as some have claimed the opposite: that it matters more for the U192 than for the DA96. I can not (as yet) judge from my own experience, but hope to try things out before long...

audio system

3 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Thanks for the report! Interesting conclusion, as some have claimed the opposite: that it matters more for the U192 than for the DA96. I can not (as yet) judge from my own experience, but hope to try things out before long...

Yup, I did expect the U192 to be more sensitive since the oscillators are in that box. However I could not test upgrading the power to U192 directly (I tried using the iFi iUSBPower, but for some reason it did not work with the U192). My conclusion comes from assuming that the new server provides much cleaner power to the U192 than the old server. 

21 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Just wondering: how did you test upgrading the power to U192 indirectly?

Because my new server has high quality 5V LPSU that feeds the U192 via USB, and in the old server USB 5V comes from a switchmode picuPSU. Therefore I assume that comparing the different servers is indirectly comparing good vs bad quality USB power. But its not an accurate comparison. It is possible that the PicoPSU 5V is much better than I think, and then the U192 might still be sensitive for a bad power supply. 

3 minutes ago, realDHT said:

Because my new server has high quality 5V LPSU that feeds the U192 via USB, and in the old server USB 5V comes from a switchmode picuPSU. Therefore I assume that comparing the different servers is indirectly comparing good vs bad quality USB power. But its not an accurate comparison. It is possible that the PicoPSU 5V is much better than I think, and then the U192 might still be sensitive for a bad power supply. 

Thanks! Looking forward to more data points (mine included)...

audio system

9 hours ago, hopkins said:

ECD is in fact working on extending the number of folders from 99 to 999, which will allow storing a maximum of 98.801 albums! I am also working on an alternative app to control the UPL.

Exciting stuff, I can confirm. This will increase the usebility of the UPL. @hopkins was so kind to let me try (and comment on) a trial version of his app, and I really like it!

audio system

11 hours ago, Huubster said:

Last thing of the evening was switching my Innuos LPS for the Paul Hynes SR4. Well, this was the real surprise!

The fact that there was a really big difference when only swapping power supplies for the ZenMini shows that the ECD topology with ElectroTOS, although considerable decreasing the audible difference between sources, is certainly not source independent.

And if we assume that the UPL is intrinsically cleaner than the U192, then the perceived counterintuitive difference in SQ that @Huubster describes above (and that I can confirm) can only be attributed to the power supply. At least, that is what logic seems to say. But as always we have to wait and hear...

I can hardly wait to power the U192 and UPL with my SR4T (5V) using this cable:

https://www.ghentaudio.com/usb/u22.html

which is on its way to me now.

That is where I will start, so not with the DA96, as I heard yesterday what the latter is capable of when powered with the stock ECD PS.

audio system

20 minutes ago, realDHT said:

Thanks for the report! 

May I ask what were the LPS mods you did that you will undo?

Was the U192 the new updated version?

My first mod was removing the internal wiring of the ground cable. So I decoupled the ground wire in the LPS case from the casing itself (My wallmount has no grounding either, so I don't miss it). That was a major step up, I'm pretty sure that modification stays, but I will definitely do a re-check.

The latter mod was a very simple one too, and could only have, conform my logic, a positive impact, but I had my doubts from the first notes I heard. I removed the on/off switch from the circuit. Internally AC is coming in, wired to the on/off switch, and from the on/off switch wired to the circuit board. I changed that by routing the wiring from incoming chassis to the circuit board directly. I had to fiddle around with and bow those metal lips on the outer ends of the cabling to make it fit on the circuit board connectors. Maybe they don't make proper contact now, causing the deteriorated sound.. So I was actually thinking this morning to remove those horrible nasty metal lips and solder the contacts instead. I still believe that removing the on/off switch cannot make the sound worse right?!

And yes, the U192 is the updated version.

2 hours ago, Huubster said:

My first mod was removing the internal wiring of the ground cable. So I decoupled the ground wire in the LPS case from the casing itself (My wallmount has no grounding either, so I don't miss it). That was a major step up, I'm pretty sure that modification stays, but I will definitely do a re-check.

The latter mod was a very simple one too, and could only have, conform my logic, a positive impact, but I had my doubts from the first notes I heard. I removed the on/off switch from the circuit. Internally AC is coming in, wired to the on/off switch, and from the on/off switch wired to the circuit board. I changed that by routing the wiring from incoming chassis to the circuit board directly. I had to fiddle around with and bow those metal lips on the outer ends of the cabling to make it fit on the circuit board connectors. Maybe they don't make proper contact now, causing the deteriorated sound.. So I was actually thinking this morning to remove those horrible nasty metal lips and solder the contacts instead. I still believe that removing the on/off switch cannot make the sound worse right?!

And yes, the U192 is the updated version.

Ok, tnx.

I agree that your bypass of the switch should not make things worse unless a bad contact is introduced. Bypassing of the power switch should not make much difference to sound anyway IMHO. 

18 minutes ago, realDHT said:

Bypassing of the power switch should not make much difference to sound anyway IMHO.       

I think it does make a difference. I hate those metal clips. By soldering the connection directly now I effectively removed 6 of those nasty clips out of the circuit, I'm pretty sure that makes a difference. 

Yesterday evening I did a short listening session with the AC cabling soldered directly to the circuitboard in my Innuos LPS.. Luckily this gave me back the big and open soundstage I got earlier and which was clearly missing after my 'modification'.

But the thing is, I heard the Paul Hynes SR4 with good DC cabling.... 😬 My LPS is not on that level (yet) for sure, far less dynamics. So now I'm wondering whether I should try a proper DC cable and some further modding on my Innuos LPS or go for a SR4 with proper DC cable right away...? Any advice here? 🙂

3 minutes ago, Huubster said:

But the thing is, I heard the Paul Hynes SR4 with good DC cabling.... 😬 My LPS is not on that level (yet) for sure, far less dynamics. So now I'm wondering whether I should try a proper DC cable and some further modding on my Innuos LPS or go for a SR4 with proper DC cable right away...? Any advice here? 🙂

If you replace the cable first, you will be able to determine its effect. And if in doubt, we can do another comparison with my SR4. If you then prefer the SR4 and buy one (or a SR4T), the cable needs to be re-terminated with a 4 pin mal XLR.

audio system

18 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

If you replace the cable first, you will be able to determine its effect. And if in doubt, we can do another comparison with my SR4. If you then prefer the SR4 and buy one (or a SR4T), the cable needs to be re-terminated with a 4 pin mal XLR.

Good one. Now the decision is whether to go the DIY route or buy a DC cable. I must admit that the DIY route as you did with your cable seems interesting, not cheap, but fun to do :D 

I found the recipe for that Mundorf silver/gold DC cable here on the forum, it's quite a project, but getting all the necessary components seems to be the most time consuming part of it!  

I recieved today the Ghent audio cable l and used it between my NUC and the UPL, with a large powerbank (Goal Zero Sherpa 100D) to power the UPL. This works well. Will have to do sone comparisons to determine whether there is a real sonic benefit, but I am certainly enjoying listening! 

I turned on my system around 10pm, it is now 2AM, I have to get up in 6 hours - the ECD boxes are irresistible :) 

23 minutes ago, hopkins said:

I recieved today the Ghent audio cable l and used it between my NUC and the UPL, with a large powerbank (Goal Zero Sherpa 100D) to power the UPL. This works well. Will have to do sone comparisons to determine whether there is a real sonic benefit, but I am certainly enjoying listening! 

I turned on my system around 10pm, it is now 2AM, I have to get up in 6 hours - the ECD boxes are irresistible :) 

I had my UPL for a couple of days now and I don't know whether or not so there some burn in going on, but it keeps sounding better and better - I would say the sound is the closest I've heard to a live performance.  

At the moment, the UPL is going to my integrated amp with dual AKM AK4497EQ DAC's which is no slouch.  Hopefully In the week or so I'll receive the fractal DAC so that will be an interesting comparison.  

I'm also getting the Ghent usb y cable - I asked him not to put the Oyaide DC plug on but lengthen the DC cable part so I can connect it directly to my PS.  Can't imagine the UPL will sound much better than it already is but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised! :')

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2020 at 2:02 AM, hopkins said:

Any updates on this @hopkins? 😊

I have been listening to the DA96 after I changed the AC cable. I recently bought a nice AC cable, thick copper wire and decent (not great) connectors on both ends. And I'm happy with the results, it's adding more body and weight to tonality, it's sounding fuller, especially noticable with piano.

I have better connectors on order, I'm a big fan of pure copper connectors, I will change the connectors of the AC cable and will let you know what further improvements I get.