IGNORED

ECdesigns

13 minutes ago, jwr159 said:

With either a Toslink or Coax source, what options or solutions are available to use the U192ETL/Fractal DAC? Is there a way to do a conversion to USB? Or any chance EC Designs comes out with an Coax/SPDIF/Toslink version of the  U192ETL? 

Thanks 

They had initially discussed (on Diyaudio) a unit with spdif input but I guess they abandoned the idea. You could ask the question on the Diyaudio thread. 

Short of an ECD product to do this, converting from toslink or coax to USB can be done with a computer and sound card. That would allow using a single computer, with multiple sources (CD, TV...) connected to the U192 & Fractal DAC. 

8 hours ago, hopkins said:

Not only that, when applied to the UPL96ETL reference, even that reference improved significantl

8 hours ago, hopkins said:

He mentions his newest project (PowerDAC) which is based on the U192 + FractalDAC, and some pretty novel amplification solutions

Properly bewildered now!  So both the U192 and the UPL have had  significant hardware updates  since I bought mine on first release only a month ago and on top of this they are already working on new/replacement product?  Mind you I have thought since previous generation that they should concentrate on an integrated player/DAC; one box DAC with onboard usb stick transport and an additional usb input would be nice.

16 minutes ago, Norton said:

Properly bewildered now!  So both the U192 and the UPL have had  significant hardware updates  since I bought mine on first release only a month ago and on top of this they are already working on new/replacement product?  

These guys seem to be very innovative.

So I fear at the very moment you buy something from ECD it is already outdated.

Maybe they should offer their devices for leasing not buying.

You have a fixed rate per month and get always the latest model.

I am curious about the Fractal PowerDAC 🙂

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

I understand the frustration. I have a pile of obsolete ECD products at home... Norton, you should contact them about the upgrade. To add to that, if the U192 does perform as well as the UPL, I'll probably simply stop using the UPL... I build that into the cost of having their products, and at the end of the day, I'm ok with that. It is better not to rush into things with them, but sometimes hard to resist, and I hope my enthusiasm here has not led others to regret their choices. 

If it can be of any comfort, I understand that the PowerDAC basically integrates the U192 and Fractal DAC as is, and builds upon it, so that seem to indicate that the source/DAC aspect is done with? 

PowerDac will be a new product along the FractalDAC, not a replacement. Usually PowerDACs are DACs with integrated amplifier, so maybe it's that what are they aiming to.

Macbook Pro 2015 > JCAT XE USB > Matrix X SPDIF3 > AyES > Mutec MC3+ > EC Designs PowerDAC B > Topping Pre90 > Wadia a102 > Cardas SE9 cables > John Blue JB3 speakers. All Clear cables Cardas IC, AyES, Beyond & XL

7 minutes ago, matthias said:

These guys seem to be very innovative.

So I fear at the very moment you buy something from ECD it is already outdated.

I am curious about the Fractal PowerDAC 🙂

Matt

I bought my UPL16 and MOS16 plus UTOS stick believing this set-up would last me years. I am disappointed that good as the equipment is, I know that things have moved on. I feel that a year's ownership is far too little to be thinking of replacement. I mostly buy second hand but I thought I should buy new this time. I'm disappointed TBH.

2 minutes ago, M_audio said:

PowerDac will be a new product along the FractalDAC, not a replacement. Usually PowerDACs are DACs with integrated amplifier, so maybe it's that what are they aiming to.

My understanding is that the Fractal PowerDAC is a digital amp with a DAC section just before the output.

Matt

With the UPL/MOS DAC (previous generation) there was no way of knowing at the time that there would be further developments. The resale value of those previous models is now probably very low. So its a "sunk cost". 

The situation now is a little different as they are developing this new project while still in the initial "release" phase of new products. But can you blame them for discovering new solutions that ultimately provide significant increases in audio quality? 

If they do offer an integrated PowerDAC, I do not believe this will  diminish the value of the current U192/Fractal. Some may not want a completely integrated "box", for various reasons, and be content with a low cost source/DAC that performs very well with existing amplifiers. 

I've seen a picture of the prototype of the PowerDAC, and its a "beast" - on that aspect alone some may probably be hesitant to purchase one. Sonically, no idea, but they do refer to it (in that DIYAudio thread) as a "revolution in audio". At this point, I completely trust their ears. But I am going to enjoy what I have now for some time. If and when this PowerDAC does come out, I will definitely seek to have a look at it "in person" and audition it first before taking any decision.

One more point: returning a small unit by mail for an upgrade is one thing,  but doing that with a large power amplifier is different. So that's another reason for not rushing into it and making sure that it has been thoroughly tested. I am sure they will get local customers in Holland to do that first. It will be important to do so. 

34 minutes ago, hopkins said:

With the UPL/MOS DAC (previous generation) there was no way of knowing at the time that there would be further developments. The resale value of those previous models is now probably very low. So its a "sunk cost". 

This is always the case and happened to Schitt too as they had the USB5 interface. Later on they discovered that the Unison USB is much better.

But the pace how ECD are launching new products is extraordinary and this is not customer friendly at all. Maybe a solution would be that they have devices with modules, so these could be more easily swapped.

Matt

48 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Norton, you should contact them about the upgrade

I did - seems it’s a possibility but nothing definite yet  (and that was just for the U192, no mention of the UPL, which according to the above has also had a significant update)

I get it that products move on, but in the case of this occurring literally  just a month or so after initial sales, it would be nice if there was clarity and priority in terms of updates for existing customers.

9 minutes ago, matthias said:

This is always the case and happened to Schitt too as they had the USB5 interface. Later on the discovered that the Unison USB is much better.

But they pace with ECD are launching new products is extraordinary and this is not customer friendly at all. Maybe a solution would be that they have devices with modules, so these could be more easily swapped.

Matt

Putting aside the PowerDAC, which I addressed, it is not uncommon for suppliers to offer upgrades. Look at Taiko, which you follow... 

You can argue about the WAY in which ECD is handling it right now, but its really a single-person operation. They don't have a customer service department, and yes, they do take time to reply to email, as has been noted before, but you can also contact them by phone, and they seem to be pretty easy about returning the units to get them upgraded.

That being said, I do agree with Norton that it has been a little chaotic. Lets hope things get quickly sorted out for everyone. 

2 minutes ago, Norton said:

I get it that products move on, but in the case of this occurring literally  just a month or so after initial sales, it would be nice if there was clarity and priority in terms of updates for existing customers.

Maybe with buying a device the customer gets the guarantee for free upgrades within a year or two.

Matt

3 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Putting aside the PowerDAC, which I addressed, it is not uncommon for suppliers to offer upgrades. Look at Taiko, which you follow... 

Taiko has a customer service bar none.

AFAIK, there has been no hardware upgrades at all since launching of the Extreme.

They made several Roon optimisations, all of them were updated via TeamViewer remotely and without charge from Hengelo in Holland.

So what is your point?

Matt

14 hours ago, Huubster said:

John is a rare breed, totally pasionate about his hobby and he brings it to the public with the scarce resouces he has

I can’t disagree with that (although I don’t know anything about the resources part).

Certainly, he seems  to be one of the few (only one?) who are bringing real innovation and original thought to 2ch digital audio, which otherwise seems to have stagnated somewhat in my view.  I hope he is patenting his work.

I was already  thinking about getting his upcoming speakers, and the new power DAC looks amazing (I understand there will be a smaller HP version too).  Looks like things  are moving on the update for  “first gen” U192, but I’m not clear where things are re. the mentioned update to the UPL (ie if this was an improvement made before, or subsequent to, initial release)

1 hour ago, Norton said:

Certainly, he seems  to be one of the few (only one?) who are bringing real innovation and original thought to 2ch digital audio, which otherwise seems to have stagnated somewhat in my view.  I hope he is patenting his work.

Completely agree. I was giving more thought to this while listening to music last night - while the U192 and UPL are well executed and contain their lot of innovations, the Fractal DAC is more of a "break-through" product. Looking back at the various feedbacks so far, I am curious to see if ANY existing DAC is going to achieve the same sound quality - I am NOT trying to be provocative here, I just honestly think it has some pretty unique qualities, and the way they describe it on their website ("an end result in the quest for the holy grail in digital audio: realistic music reproduction") is bold but really spot on. When I shared this opinion with some people here in France I ended up having fewer friends! Hope people here who have actually listened to it will be more understanding. What is interesting is that their next project is probably going to further "unleash" its potential. 

Based on the way John Brown describes it, the PowerDAC, building on the Fractal DAC, is going to be in that same league, of really innovative and break-through products, that change the way we view "digital" reproduction, and probably audio in general. What will be left ? the choice of speakers will be critical (and the good news is, they come in all shapes and forms), and perhaps some tweaking of the source, but probably providing marginal benefits.