IGNORED

Article: Aurender N100H Music Player Review

Thanks for the review.

This is starting to look very interesting as a way to get away from all the tweaking of Macs and PCs.

I would be very curious to hear whether the Uptone Regen will improve upon this setup. In addition, are you using or have you tried fiber LAN for the connection?

Thanks for the review.

This is starting to look very interesting as a way to get away from all the tweaking of Macs and PCs.

I would be very curious to hear whether the Uptone Regen will improve upon this setup. In addition, are you using or have you tried fiber LAN for the connection?

I tried a fiber LAN connection several years ago but am not currently using one.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris,

Thanks for another great review! How does the N100H compare sonically with the Auralic Aries or one of the C.A.P.S servers? Inquiring minds want to know!

TIA,

Tom

Tom

JRiver19>CAPS Carbon (w/RWA Black Lightning PS,WS2012R2)>Cardas Clear USB>Ayre DX-5>Tellurium Q Black Diamond XLR> Boulder 1010>Tellurium Clear Black Diamond XLR>Boulder 1050>Cardas Clear>Wilson Audio Sasha

Chris, great review. I have a S10 which I really enjoy. Regarding the future potential of supporting Roon, would this necessitate another outboard windows computer or mac machine? My ideal would be that Roon resides on the Aurender internal SSD and not need another outside device. Would you happen to know if that is feasible?

Thanks

Kenreau

Synology NAS> Aurender W20> AQ Wel AES/XLR> Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wire> Vandersteen 5As.

Chris,

Nice review except for a total lack of comparison to other products. It would have been very helpful to know your thoughts on how the N100H compares to the Aries, or a Caps server, Mac Mini, or other Aurender products like the W20..

FWIW I have a N100H and I've had an Aries and other stuff in my system. To my ears the Aurender has been the best, but as a reviewer I think it's kind of your duty to give the reader an idea of how it compares to it's competition.

Chris, great review. I have a S10 which I really enjoy. Regarding the future potential of supporting Roon, would this necessitate another outboard windows computer or mac machine? My ideal would be that Roon resides on the Aurender internal SSD and not need another outside device. Would you happen to know if that is feasible?

I'm not Chris obviously... But it's my understanding that Roon are looking to only license the "RoonSpeaker" component. You would need the Roon Core to be running on a Windows or OS X computer (or possibly in the future Linux which may facilitate running the Roon Core on a NAS).

If you look at the Sooloos system it should give you an idea where Roon are looking; but instead of the Meridian MS600 and MS200 the endpoint would be any third party licenced device.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Chris,

I would be interested in knowing how the Aurender N100 or N100H compares sonically to the Sonore Rendu or Signature Rendu, especially using the Rendu I2S output.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Chris,

Nice review except for a total lack of comparison to other products. It would have been very helpful to know your thoughts on how the N100H compares to the Aries, or a Caps server, Mac Mini, or other Aurender products like the W20..

FWIW I have a N100H and I've had an Aries and other stuff in my system. To my ears the Aurender has been the best, but as a reviewer I think it's kind of your duty to give the reader an idea of how it compares to it's competition.

+1

The lack of any comparos takes away a lot of value from your (otherwise excellent) reviews.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

For the Folks asking about comparison to the Aries, it is not a fair comparison. The Aries offers all the outputs you can ask for and streams wirelessly for 800.00 less. That being said the Aurender is in a different league sonically than the Aries. I owned both. Aurender plays like analogue the Aries plays like digital. Look around the forums for the people that have went from an Aries to an Aurender. the feeling is universal. Add an Amber Regan for more enjoyment!!

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

I'm not Chris obviously... But it's my understanding that Roon are looking to only license the "RoonSpeaker" component. You would need the Roon Core to be running on a Windows or OS X computer (or possibly in the future Linux which may facilitate running the Roon Core on a NAS).

Would really love to be able to ditch the added PC or Mac just to run Roon Core. The Linux version on my Synology NAS sounds perfect.

Thanks

Kenreau

Synology NAS> Aurender W20> AQ Wel AES/XLR> Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wire> Vandersteen 5As.

As far as I see it requires a LAN to a router i.e. one more cable and one more box. Why not WLAN/WIFI to internet and iPad etc. direct? Also using a USB to SPDIF converter does not tell about the quality of USB direct to DAC (I know your BAD DAC needs it -so what about some newer DACs).

I just wanted to add that in going back to your review of the Aurender W20 from just last year you had this to say:

"Comparing the W20 to a CAPS v3 Carbon server revealed the sonic limitations of an off the shelf computer music server."

"The Aurender W20 has displaced the CAPS v3 Carbon server in my system and is without a doubt the best music server I've used to date."

My understanding is that the Aurender W20 has been your reference ..It would have been great to hear what you thought of the N100H compared to the W20 since you know it so well..

I'm a JRiver user and am very interested in a device like the N100. But my favorite feature of JRiver is the ability to build "smartlists" - playlists that are built acc'd to user defined parameters and that update each time you use them.

I find it curious that no other company supplying user interfaces for CA has copied this feature. To me it's a killer feature I can't give up. I wish Aurender or one of the other audiophile server/renderer manufacturers would take up this challenge.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Prefer N1A. Easiest user experience and I've tried many devices. I'm one who does not want an external NAS in my audio chain. Good move on Aurender's part to add 'H' option of HDD to N100. Did not cotton to dirt brown background of Aurender app nor inability to have both horizontal and vertical app view on control tablet. Certainly prefer having ability for Raid_01 Melco has. The N1A can be had for $2K. Owned a Lumin A1 now sold and the N1A + Devialet has SQ every bit as good for fraction of Lumin A1 price with no need for second box (external PS), second power cord. A well designed SMPS can be very good, although I realize from posts on audio forums many think LPS makes all the SQ difference in the world. Depends. Based on personal experience a good SMPS is fine. With Devialet + Aurender or Melco device, SQ is a draw. Melco does need to get their own control app finished before summer is a memory though (v;

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.

my favorite feature of JRiver is the ability to build "smartlists" - playlists that are built acc'd to user defined parameters and that update each time you use them.

I find it curious that no other company supplying user interfaces for CA has copied this feature.

iTunes

+1

The lack of any comparos takes away a lot of value from your (otherwise excellent) reviews.

+1

This is an especially important point for those who already own satisfying systems. $2500 or so would be a reasonable price if there is a significant sonic improvement from, say, a Mac Mini. But if the only change is a prettier interface, then not so much.

As far as I see it requires a LAN to a router i.e. one more cable and one more box. Why not WLAN/WIFI to internet and iPad etc. direct? Also using a USB to SPDIF converter does not tell about the quality of USB direct to DAC (I know your BAD DAC needs it -so what about some newer DACs).

The BADA RS is a very new DAC.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks Chris for the review. But also for the nice link to the Bandcamp copy of Jack Johnson. I have gratefully used BC before for Roosevelt Dime. Just downloaded the complete Brushfire Fairytales album and am enjoying the rim shots and cymbal rides by his drummer. I only played the album from the website player last night three times in a row!! That and the dancing around the house kept me up later than I intended. On my main rig through speakers I was in the studio while they recorded. Nice job of remastering!! Makes me want to listen to the vinyl and cd formats for comparison. Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

Thanks Chris for the review. But also for the nice link to the Bandcamp copy of Jack Johnson. I have gratefully used BC before for Roosevelt Dime. Just downloaded the complete Brushfire Fairytales album and am enjoying the rim shots and cymbal rides by his drummer. I only played the album from the website player last night three times in a row!! That and the dancing around the house kept me up later than I intended. On my main rig through speakers I was in the studio while they recorded. Nice job of remastering!! Makes me want to listen to the vinyl and cd formats for comparison. Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

I'm glad you enjoy it as well. The remaster is so much better than the previous versions and it's such an enjoyable album. When I get listening to it I usually have it on repeat.

Thanks for another Aurender review. I've been eyeing a move from my late 2014 Mac Mini that's USB connected to the BADA USB/BADA Reference. Since you've had the opportunity to attach the S20 via AES, has that offered any significant improvement over USB? If not, are there any other reasons why the S20 or the recently available N10 would be overkill sonically, all other considerations of music location (local versus NAS) not at issue?

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates