IGNORED

CA Readers Are, "clueless, equally bitter and uninformed"

Every single time I have gone into my local record store (it's a good one too) I never see a "hipster". See a wide ranging age group that starts in the teens and goes up into the eighties as far as I can tell. Chicago is the same way, all the stores I go into there are pretty much full of a wide range of age groups. Now I'm not saying that a lot of the folks in there aren't hip.....

Maybe it's a Midwestern thing. We always seem to be the last to know.

PS. My son that likes and buys 7" slam rock or whatever it's called, could be described as hip I suppose but he sure uses his own money to buy the "cool" vinyl him and his friends listen to. Emphasis on LISTEN to (unfortunately for the neighbors sometimes at a bit too loud volume!).

Naw, if you ran into a hipster, you would know it. If you ran into a herd of them, oh boy...

They frequent places around here like Lucy's Chicken - $12 for two pieces of chicken, no sides, but delivered in a real bucket. $12 beers and $5 Cokes. Yech... the chicken tastes like it has been frozen.

Rarely do they have moneymaking jobs, even less rarely and kind of artistic talent. Awful sneering superior attitude.

One I know drives around in a horrible rust bucket van, plastered with "Save the Earth" stickers, and belching immense quantities of noxious gas. (Both the hipster and the van...) Lives off an allowance from his parents. (sigh)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Naw, if you ran into a hipster, you would know it. If you ran into a herd of them, oh boy...

They frequent places around here like Lucy's Chicken - $12 for two pieces of chicken, no sides, but delivered in a real bucket. $12 beers and $5 Cokes. Yech... the chicken tastes like it has been frozen.

Rarely do they have moneymaking jobs, even less rarely and kind of artistic talent. Awful sneering superior attitude.

One I know drives around in a horrible rust bucket van, plastered with "Save the Earth" stickers, and belching immense quantities of noxious gas. (Both the hipster and the van...) Lives off an allowance from his parents. (sigh)

Oops. Sounds like someone you know pretty well. *s*

David

Chris, I don't think anyone has a problem you removing the posts... It would just be nice that you mention it.

Agreed. But a heads up would at least allow us to copy and paste out of our profiles and into our own text editors or WPs for safe keeping any comments we would like to preserve . I was going to e-mail some of my comments in this thread to a friend today and went to my profile to copy them only to find them gone. Perhaps, in the future you could just delete the comments from the forum and leave them on peoples' profile pages. What would that harm?

George

Agreed. But a heads up would at least allow us to copy and paste out of our profiles and into our own text editors or WPs for safe keeping any comments we would like to preserve . I was going to e-mail some of my comments in this thread to a friend today and went to my profile to copy them only to find them gone. Perhaps, in the future you could just delete the comments from the forum and leave them on peoples' profile pages. What would that harm?

Perhaps you need to make a backup of your posts. One idea would be to compose them in a text editor and then copy into the forum. You could date stamp them so you know what you said when. Make sure you also have an off-site backup just in case something happens to your home computer. You could keep the text file in Dropbox so you have access to your posts no matter where you are.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I'm a little nonplussed

by this. I kind of view my activity here as like a continuing conversation among friends with a common interest, maybe over a few adult beverages. (Maybe I'm the only one with the beverages). I just can't imagine wanting to have a record of such a conversation to refer back to or play for others. That makes it feel like a trial transcript from a court reporter; "please read back the witness' answer to...". I just don't want it to be that. The point for me is enjoyment and learning,in that order.

Vinyl is a hugely overpriced way to get flawed sound. Digital is an inexpensive way to get less flawed (though flawed nonetheless) sound.

I'm a little nonplussed

by this. I kind of view my activity here as like a continuing conversation among friends with a common interest, maybe over a few adult beverages. (Maybe I'm the only one with the beverages). I just can't imagine wanting to have a record of such a conversation to refer back to or play for others. That makes it feel like a trial transcript from a court reporter; "please read back the witness' answer to...". I just don't want it to be that. The point for me is enjoyment and learning,in that order.

Same here.

David

Yes, and do some of those comments really warrant keeping? IMO, some behavior warnings should have been issued as well.

Same here.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Disappearance of the comments *is* a behavior warning to the wise.

Heck, we knew this stuff was at least off-topic, and sometimes hostile and insulting, when we posted.

We trash the forum Chris built and hosts for us, potentially helping to drive away readers and advertising, and we then want notification or other special consideration before he cleans up our mess?

I'm personally thrilled to see that junk disappear into the aether. Anyone who would like more such discussion (sans insults, hopefully) is welcome to the off-topic forum. Yes, it's members only, which gives some indication of what priority it has in Chris's notion of what the site should be.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

We?

My comment was based on not having been involved in those comments. I would have preferred Chris to warn sooner, and not having gone so far as to need to delete content.

Disappearance of the comments *is* a behavior warning to the wise.

Heck, we knew this stuff was at least off-topic, and sometimes hostile and insulting, when we posted.

We trash the forum Chris built and hosts for us, potentially helping to drive away readers and advertising, and we then want notification or other special consideration before he cleans up our mess?

I'm personally thrilled to see that junk disappear into the aether. Anyone who would like more such discussion (sans insults, hopefully) is welcome to the off-topic forum. Yes, it's members only, which gives some indication of what priority it has in Chris's notion of what the site should be.

Forrest:

We?

My comment was based on not having been involved in those comments. I would have preferred Chris to warn sooner, and not having gone so far as to need to delete content.

I understand, Forrest. My use of "we" was based on being one of the participants myself, and was not intended to include anyone who wasn't involved.

In the great scheme of things, yes, it's not unreasonable to wish for prior warning rather than later deletion. I personally go back and forth about this, though, and here's why:

- Where the people involved are longer term members, Chris tends to use a longer "leash," perhaps hoping we'll all come to our senses sooner rather than later. :) Overall I can't say that's wrong.

- Spending effort on composing posts, then having them deleted, is something people mind. I'm thinking maybe that's not so bad - perhaps the unpleasant feeling will keep us from trying that again. (It's also more practical than mild electric shocks! :) )

- I wonder whether we'd come to rely on Chris's warnings, if he was in the habit of issuing more of them, which would tend to make us lazy, and mean more work for him. There's only one of him, and I'm sure he prefers to spend the majority of his time bringing audio news and reviews to our attention.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I understand, Forrest. My use of "we" was based on being one of the participants myself, and was not intended to include anyone who wasn't involved.

In the great scheme of things, yes, it's not unreasonable to wish for prior warning rather than later deletion. I personally go back and forth about this, though, and here's why:

- Where the people involved are longer term members, Chris tends to use a longer "leash," perhaps hoping we'll all come to our senses sooner rather than later. :) Overall I can't say that's wrong.

- Spending effort on composing posts, then having them deleted, is something people mind. I'm thinking maybe that's not so bad - perhaps the unpleasant feeling will keep us from trying that again. (It's also more practical than mild electric shocks! :) )

- I wonder whether we'd come to rely on Chris's warnings, if he was in the habit of issuing more of them, which would tend to make us lazy, and mean more work for him. There's only one of him, and I'm sure he prefers to spend the majority of his time bringing audio news and reviews to our attention.

As I recall, the degeneration of this thread happened over a period of only a day or two, making it pretty hard for a single moderator to issue warnings before the whole thing was already a shitshow.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Vinyl is a hugely overpriced way to get flawed sound. Digital is an inexpensive way to get less flawed (though flawed nonetheless) sound.

I just can't imagine wanting to have a record of such a conversation to refer back to or play for others... The point for me is enjoyment and learning,in that order.

Sure threads are full of "+1"s, and "me too"s, "look at me", and other mostly useless verbage.

BUT, threads here on CA often contain valuable technical information which is worth assembling, editing, and re-posting (perhaps in a BLOG).

That's the learning aspect of the site, that you say you value.

Last year there was a big thread on DBT/ABX testing that got pretty acrimonious, BUT it developed a very informative discussion of the strengths and weakness's, capabilities and limitations of this kind of testing. Bringing up things that had not been delved into here before.

The entire thread, good and bad, bathwater AND baby, was deleted :(

Yes, I understand and agree with much of this. I also recognize that you were (attempting to be at least) the voice of reason. I mean no offense to anyone in particular, but thought I should add my voice as an onlooker.

Forrest:

Same here.

If Chris holds the compilation copyright, a edited version of the really good technical posts here would be a great thing to have. In the past, we preserved some things that way on other systems. Pure concentrated tech stuff, with the opinions edited out. People generally liked that, except of course, for a few folks who would disagree and complain about anything.

I would love to see that here - the forums kind of open as they are today, but a distillation of the best tech knowledge and advice posted - read only! - in a nice edited format.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Sure threads are full of "+1"s, and "me too"s, "look at me", and other mostly useless verbage.

BUT, threads here on CA often contain valuable technical information which is worth assembling, editing, and re-posting (perhaps in a BLOG).

That's the learning aspect of the site, that you say you value.

Last year there was a big thread on DBT/ABX testing that got pretty acrimonious, BUT it developed a very informative discussion of the strengths and weakness's, capabilities and limitations of this kind of testing. Bringing up things that had not been delved into here before.

The entire thread, good and bad, bathwater AND baby, was deleted :(

Although relatively new here, I'm not aware of any time (and I doubt it would ever happen) where a post or posts were deleted by Chris that had any technical value to me, and that is certainly the case here. As to the deletion of entire threads, I guess I'll have to take your word for it. You could always not come back. I'd be heartbroken, but I'd get along.

Perhaps you need to make a backup of your posts. One idea would be to compose them in a text editor and then copy into the forum. You could date stamp them so you know what you said when. Make sure you also have an off-site backup just in case something happens to your home computer. You could keep the text file in Dropbox so you have access to your posts no matter where you are.

Since I now find that my posts are subject a swift removal with no warning, it would seem that something like that is in order.

George

I'm a little nonplussed

I think you misunderstand me. I had (have?) no intention of copying anyone else's comments in these posts (even when quoted in my responses), just my own words. It would be unfair to spread around the words of others out of context and without their permission, and I wouldn't do that. In the past. I have just prefaced my words with the gist of the conversation to that point, quoting no one directly except myself.

George

I think you misunderstand me. I had (have?) no intention of copying anyone else's comments in these posts (even when quoted in my responses), just my own words. It would be unfair to spread around the words of others out of context and without their permission, and I wouldn't do that. In the past. I have just prefaced my words with the gist of the conversation to that point, quoting no one directly except myself.

I understood that, actually. It's my own posts that I have no desire to preserve. Other people's words are the ones that I might learn from. I'm not going to learn anything or be entertained by my own posts. If we had no facility to quote others, CA'ers could refer to a post of mine just by mentioning my name. I know what I said. While I am serious about music and sound quality, my participation here is anything but serious, certainly not so much so that my posts should be preserved for posterity. It would be like going to my local watering hole with a recorder so I could record all my pithy comments. I'm just not that clever.:)

Not long ago there was another hot thread that the main sponsor was not too happy with and where PeterST had lengthy passages of intriguing info. That thread was bombed, he was banned for a while and all the data was lost. From then on I think a few have reverted to typing their post in a notepad first and then copying and pasting it into the thread so that at least you keep what you wrote.

Or setup the subscribe to thread via email.

Why it is surprising that this thread got hot is beyond me with a title like CA Readers Are, "clueless, equally bitter and uninformed"

Cheers

Although relatively new here, I'm not aware of any time (and I doubt it would ever happen) where a post or posts were deleted by Chris that had any technical value to me, and that is certainly the case here. As to the deletion of entire threads, I guess I'll have to take your word for it...

Yes, you are kinda new here, and if you haven't seen something occur in your relatively short time, doesn't mean it doesn't happen, or isn't important to other people. Always a good thing to keep in mind :)

As to taking my word for it, a slight correction: it was not technically a deletion (the last time), but a technique that made the entire thread invisible. I suppose it could be made visible again, but I'm not holding my breath...