IGNORED

Official Roon User Impressions Thread

Could you please let us know by posting here which rooms in Newport are running Roon. I'm coming to the show from NYC with 2 goals, and one is to see and hear Roon.

@MarkS -- looking into it. I'm not directly involved with that stuff, and timezone differences are making Enno and Rob's replies slow.

That said, the best experience will be with your own music on your own machine. Grab a trial and give it a run! If you are having issues, we are here to help.

I have a question regarding the server/remote functionality. I have a CAPS machine running headless connected to my iFi Micro DAC. I'd like to use my more powerful MacBook Pro set up as a server and control the music playing from my CAPS/iFi Micro from it but it appears the current restrictions with private zones does not allow this. I currently am running the caps as a server and MacBook as a remote to get around this but the caps is not really powerful enough to do an adequate job as server. Is there a way I can accomplish my objective to use the MacBook as a server currently or perhaps in upcoming releases?

Time Capsule, Various Music formats-->MacBook Pro Retina-->Audirvana 2.0, Tidal and Kodi for play through HQPlayer, USB-->iFi Micro IDSD-->RedWine Audio Isabellina Pro DAC/Balanced HPA using only Amp or TBI Millenia with resistor network-->Audeze LCD-2 Headphones

I have a question regarding the server/remote functionality. I have a CAPS machine running headless connected to my iFi Micro DAC. I'd like to use my more powerful MacBook Pro set up as a server and control the music playing from my CAPS/iFi Micro from it but it appears the current restrictions with private zones does not allow this. I currently am running the caps as a server and MacBook as a remote to get around this but the caps is not really powerful enough to do an adequate job as server. Is there a way I can accomplish my objective to use the MacBook as a server currently or perhaps in upcoming releases?

I asked this a couple pages back, it cannot be done, though you will be able to eventually with RoonSpeakers. Check the Roon forums for some info on exactly what the Roon Speakers are or search through the posts here, it's explained much better in other posts.

That goal is dumb. You hear speakers, not software.. and going from Roon to Roon at the show will only demonstrate the difference in speakers.

Trying it in your system is the only effective method for demonstration.

Sorry you think my goal is dumb. Don't have a lot of time to try things.

I checked with dCS. They will have it running for anyone interested.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

I asked this a couple pages back, it cannot be done, though you will be able to eventually with RoonSpeakers. Check the Roon forums for some info on exactly what the Roon Speakers are or search through the posts here, it's explained much better in other posts.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if I'd missed something so now I'll await the release of Roon Speakers.

Time Capsule, Various Music formats-->MacBook Pro Retina-->Audirvana 2.0, Tidal and Kodi for play through HQPlayer, USB-->iFi Micro IDSD-->RedWine Audio Isabellina Pro DAC/Balanced HPA using only Amp or TBI Millenia with resistor network-->Audeze LCD-2 Headphones

dannyroonlabs: i really enjoy your app BUT i have difficult time getting it to work-i have 3 'zones' CHANNEL D PAD, Speaker-Schiit USB Audio Device,sonicstream Sq+. i really have to 'fiddle' around to get sound,right now i am listening but not hearing eric clapton's "no reason to cry" i can see blue bars moving on the checked sonic stream Sq+ zone but no sound and if i change zones still nothing-can you help? when it does work it is great and i love the way it colates my itunes library and TIDAL library and all the different artists it gives access to

will you do the same with Qobuz and BeatsMusic in the near future

I'm about ten days into my trial and I like Roon a lot. But without tablet (in my case iOS) functionality, it's not worth it. I'll wait till those control points arrive and hopefully there will be another trial then. Lot's of promise, need more.

@bobbmd -- can you post your issue on the Roon community site? https://community.roonlabs.com -- I don't want to turn this forum in our support site

as for Qobuz and Beats....

Our position on Qobuz is summed up here: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/qobuz-streaming-integration-would-be-appreciated/807/6 -- but I'll repeat here: Once Qobuz is out of bankruptcy protection, we'll see what their future looks like. They are looking for external investment and/or buyers (from a non-competitor). I'm not sure they will survive the year out, but I'd like to see another viable competitor to TIDAL. Right now, they are interesting, but with a very uncertain short term future.

Beats, now owned by Apple, will most likely not work with anyone or anything out there. I'd be a bit surprised if they even let Sonos have Beats. Note, my team did the HP Beats Music integration for the "Connected Music" product, so we have lots of experience with them, but even the HP/Beats collaboration died when Apple came in.

Sorry you think my goal is dumb. Don't have a lot of time to try things.

I checked with dCS. They will have it running for anyone interested.

no need to apologize, your goal just didn't make sense. If the only constant between rooms is the software, then the software is not what you will be "hearing".

hi,

I don´t know if I´m doing right,but I hope that you will redirect me if I´m wrong.

I have since the 15/5 tried to get the roon software to no avail at all,I have not been able to log into my account,have been able to download roon,but get error messages when i try to run it .I have got two friendly answers that have told me that they (roon support i.e. a guy called kevin)wouls help me,but nobody has come back,and I simply cannot get into touch with roonlabs other than automated answer telling me that they will be back soon.Now I have sent a cancellation note (i originally signed up for the 14 day trial,and lifelong subscription)but don´t know if it is registered,-do you have any suggestions,what to do?

Vit

hi,

I don´t know if I´m doing right,but I hope that you will redirect me if I´m wrong.

I have since the 15/5 tried to get the roon software to no avail at all,I have not been able to log into my account,have been able to download roon,but get error messages when i try to run it .I have got two friendly answers that have told me that they (roon support i.e. a guy called kevin)wouls help me,but nobody has come back,and I simply cannot get into touch with roonlabs other than automated answer telling me that they will be back soon.Now I have sent a cancellation note (i originally signed up for the 14 day trial,and lifelong subscription)but don´t know if it is registered,-do you have any suggestions,what to do?

I would recommend logging into the Roon Community and posing this question in their Support section. If you don't have a login to their community it is easy to setup for you and takes less than a few minutes. It is possible your query got missed the last time, I have found them extremely responsive.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I would recommend logging into the Roon Community and posing this question in their Support section. If you don't have a login to their community it is easy to setup for you and takes less than a few minutes. It is possible your query got missed the last time, I have found them extremely responsive.

Ditto here. Very responsive and helpful.

Hi. New here, I just joined to talk about Roon. Do you know the poem about the girl with the curl in the middle of her forehead - when she was good she was very good and when she was bad she was horrid. I think her name must have been Roon. I started the trial on Day 1 and I was blown away by the excellence of the program. I haven't had as much enjoyment with my music since the old days playing records, sharing with friends, and just being immersed in the music. So I subscribed, and I'm glad I did.

But since I added a remote (Surface Pro 3) to play through my main system I have been plagued with frequent drop-outs and freeze-ups. I have had some help from Roon, and they say maybe the next build will fix the problem. I hope so. I love the program, if I didn't I'd just go back to Sonos.

I just read on the Roon community forums that Roon is not good at handling single FLAC albums. Can someone confirm? This would be a real shame as I rip all my music this way.

Merging NADAC / Theta Compli --> Spectral DMC-20 --> Spectral DMA-250 --> Avalon Ascendant (with tweeter upgrades)

I just read on the Roon community forums that Roon is not good at handling single FLAC albums. Can someone confirm? This would be a real shame as I rip all my music this way.

Correct.

Though ripping your music to single large flac files is absolutely silly (in my opinion of course), and wouldn't work well in the library management of any software player.

Correct.

Though ripping your music to single large flac files is absolutely silly (in my opinion of course), and wouldn't work well in the library management of any software player.

I will not get into a debate whether this is silly or not. I do this for IMHO valid reasons. Shame that software developers don't support this.

Oh well, carry on. I get to spend my money elsewhere.

Merging NADAC / Theta Compli --> Spectral DMC-20 --> Spectral DMA-250 --> Avalon Ascendant (with tweeter upgrades)

I have no idea where this came from but my collection is pretty much entirely FLAC and DSF and I have had no problems at all with the FLAC files.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

I have no idea where this came from but my collection is pretty much entirely FLAC and DSF and I have had no problems at all with the FLAC files.

I think he's referring to single FLAC files with cue sheets. I had a few of them and Roon does not recognize them - I used JRMC to convert them to individual FLAC files. It will not recognize ape files either, FWIW. Not a big deal for me as I don't have that many of either, but I can understand it being a pain if you have a ton of them.

Anil

Mac Mini 10.7.5 | Jriver MC 19 | Berkeley Audio Alpha USB/DAC2 | Pass Labs XA160.5 | Magnepan 20.1

1 CD = 1 FLAC file

I rip using XLD and choose "Save as a single file (+cue)"

I will not get into a debate whether this is silly or not. I do this for IMHO valid reasons. Shame that software developers don't support this.

It's not silly at all, it's just a bit dated. We used to do this back with Sooloos v1 as well, but since then, we've built an audio engine that can render sample accurate gapless playback between tracks, even from different sources. The main reason for FLAC+CUE is because many players couldn't do that. Same goes for DSD ISO vs DSF files.

I wrote a bit to why we dont support this(the conversation is about DSD ISO vs DSF, but the same applies to FLAC+CUE vs FLAC): https://community.roonlabs.com/t/dsd-iso-support/1259/7

Anyway, we will look into it, but it's lower priority than many of our other priorities, as we feel this is a dated solution to a problem for players that haven't truly solved gapless playback. If you only have FLAC+CUE, I feel your pain, as I too went through the slicing operation, a few years ago.