IGNORED

Official Roon User Impressions Thread

I will not get into a debate whether this is silly or not. I do this for IMHO valid reasons. Shame that software developers don't support this.

I never asked to start a debate, you obviously missed the part where I said it was "in my opinion of course".

I never asked to start a debate, you obviously missed the part where I said it was "in my opinion of course".

No debate... I was only explaining my point of view, just as you did. Sure it's a "shame software developers don't support this", but the flip side is that it's a shame that users still use this method of achieving gapless playback.

What I'd like to hear about is your reasons to sticking to FLAC+CUE. You know my point of view, but my view isn't fixed... maybe there is a use case I wasn't considering. I'm not looking to argue with you, I want to learn about WHY you do what you do. It's the only way I can make our software better.

Case in point: I work from home, and I listen to music 10+ hours a day from home. I couldn't imagine the need for Wake-On-Lan support. https://community.roonlabs.com/t/server-sleep-and-wake-on-lan/498/6 gave me a use case I had never considered, and WoL is being added now.

So, let's not debate. Instead, tell me if I'm missing something about FLAC + CUE other than history.

It's not silly at all, it's just a bit dated. We used to do this back with Sooloos v1 as well, but since then, we've built an audio engine that can render sample accurate gapless playback between tracks, even from different sources. The main reason for FLAC+CUE is because many players couldn't do that. Same goes for DSD ISO vs DSF files.

I wrote a bit to why we dont support this(the conversation is about DSD ISO vs DSF, but the same applies to FLAC+CUE vs FLAC): https://community.roonlabs.com/t/dsd-iso-support/1259/7

Anyway, we will look into it, but it's lower priority than many of our other priorities, as we feel this is a dated solution to a problem for players that haven't truly solved gapless playback. If you only have FLAC+CUE, I feel your pain, as I too went through the slicing operation, a few years ago.

Thank you for your response. I'll monitor any progress you are making adding support for single file FLAC + CUE.

Edit: Just reading your second response.

Main reason was indeed gap-less playback. Other reason is that it is just easier to manage less larger files than many smaller ones (tagging, grooming, moving them around on the network etc.).

If anyone can point me to an automated solution to slice these single file FLACs up I'd appreciate it. Never occurred to me I was old fashioned :)

Merging NADAC / Theta Compli --> Spectral DMC-20 --> Spectral DMA-250 --> Avalon Ascendant (with tweeter upgrades)

@Nes - while I have not tried any of these solutions, apparently there are a number of programs that can aid in automated conversion for you. Maybe someone else has tried one of them:

FLAC Splitter - How to split FLAC files based on CUE on Mac and PC?

and a

for the Bigasoft solution

CUETools - CUETools wiki

If you are on a Mac, than XLD should be able to do this, though it may be album by album.

On a PC I believe Foobar2000 may do this.

Cue Splitter on Windows.

I am sure there are other tools as well.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I use Cue Splitter mentioned above. Works very well.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

When I converted my collection from APE single file + Cue to separate FLAC files I tried both Medieval Cue Splitter and Cue Tools. They both do the job but Cue Tools allowed me to automatically create new folders and check the resulting files against Accuraterip. So it was click and forget, just wait for it to finish all albums. This was some years ago so I believe it might even be better now.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Will check them out. I'm on a Mac by the way.

Merging NADAC / Theta Compli --> Spectral DMC-20 --> Spectral DMA-250 --> Avalon Ascendant (with tweeter upgrades)

One more - this one supposably works on a Mac as well. XLD should work great, I just don't know if you can batch a whole bunch of albums with it.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I tried to install Roon on my CAPS pipeline. It won't install, because the video capabilities of the Pipeline XEON board don't include GL support. Roon told me that for the meantime, video support for GL is a requirement for Roon.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Roon (build 15) is playing DSD via my Mytek currently (home office desktop system with Senn 580 cans). I needed to use the USBPAL Wasapi driver (not the raw ASIO one as Roon does not see ASIO drivers currently) and set DoP (comes up when you click on exclusive mode). So no DSD128 for Mytek this way, but it's a nice start. As soon as build 15 downloaded it went out and imported all my DSF tracks.

I will report on sq later.

I have played back both DSD64 and DSD128 tracks. Very good sound quality. Exemplary support as well. I believe the DSD support is still in beta lest anyone asks.

Listen to Boys and Girls, Bryan Ferry, DSD64 thru my Schiit Loki

Just for music:Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 60GB SSD, 16GB RAM (Mid 2011) OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 > WD NAS 6TB > Audirvana+>Roon Server > HQPlayer >iPad for Roon Remote> Teac UD-503 DAC > Audio Quest Cinnamon USB cable > Cambridge Audio Azur 840C > Cambridge Audio Azur 840A > Polk LSi 15 > DIY Speaker Cables.

Coming back after a few days using Roon and I must say, I'm really enjoying it.

They are moving very quickly to incorporate bug fixes and features important to me, and playback has been smooth and trouble-free over HDMI and AirPlay to my Pioneer Receiver, and via USB to my LH Labs and iFi DACs. Currently streaming DSD128 from my MacMini server to my MacBook Pro "remote" and out to my LH Labs DAC over my wireless network - not a glitch :)

Given I'm having the feeling iTunes is getting a bit flaky with over 80k tracks in my library, and Audirvana now takes minutes to load / scan for new tracks, I'm thinking I may be switching pretty much exclusively to Roon.

The fact it's easy to use and easy on the eyes, as well, is just icing on the cake.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Just saw that quite a few people are are having issues with loud clicks/pops between track changes, they said a new release to fix the issue will be out very shortly. I'm about to try out some DSD and see if I have the issue.

I was ready to report about the clicks/pop between tracks..

Just for music:Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 60GB SSD, 16GB RAM (Mid 2011) OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 > WD NAS 6TB > Audirvana+>Roon Server > HQPlayer >iPad for Roon Remote> Teac UD-503 DAC > Audio Quest Cinnamon USB cable > Cambridge Audio Azur 840C > Cambridge Audio Azur 840A > Polk LSi 15 > DIY Speaker Cables.

Nice job with adding DSD so quickly. I've been critical of some issues (mostly classical music meta data ) but this is a nice win. Adding ASIO support would be a nice follow up. Congrats.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

First time I've tried to use Roon on the road and just realized that the remote version doesn't work when I'm not on my home network (where the main version is located). Is there a solution to this? I use my laptop as a remote so that i can move around the house with it, but obviously also when I'm traveling. Any ideas?

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

First time I've tried to use Roon on the road and just realized that the remote version doesn't work when I'm not on my home network (where the main version is located). Is there a solution to this? I use my laptop as a remote so that i can move around the house with it, but obviously also when I'm traveling. Any ideas?

It has been asked (by a few) to have this as a new feature over at Roon.

Nice job with adding DSD so quickly. I've been critical of some issues (mostly classical music meta data ) but this is a nice win. Adding ASIO support would be a nice follow up. Congrats.

I agree. Kudos to these guys. I have rarely seen a company so responsive to the requests of its customers and incorporating their needs in such a quick manner. I have to say I am truly AMAZED with these guys. Really rare in today's day and age.

Signed up today for a one year subscription. It updated my few DSF files yesterday. Played some of them just now and the conversion program works well. Unfortunately most of mine are ISO or DFF. It will be a lot of work to convert them and then import the artwork. My DAC doesn't play DSD.

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

I tried to install Roon on my CAPS pipeline. It won't install, because the video capabilities of the Pipeline XEON board don't include GL support. Roon told me that for the meantime, video support for GL is a requirement for Roon.

Kudos to Roon. On their forum they saw my similar comment and responded that they will release a headless version fairly soon.

More kudos to Roon. For those of us who have been asking for support for HQPlayer, Roon just received code from Signalyst to allow them to start the process of integration with HQP. In addition to adding the SQ many of us like from HQP, this should allow us to use the Sonare Sonic Orbiter or the SOtM sMS-100 as a network audio endpoint, in turn getting a computer out of our audio stack. Right now the only non-computer NAE that I know is on Roon's road map is Auralic's Aries. The Aries is more expensive and won't work for me technically, so I'm pleased as punch to have other options.

Thanks Roon!

CAPS Lagoon –>Cat7–>CAPS Zuma (or Oppo transport)–>Elijah AudioIsolate CU USB (or Jon Risch DIY Digital IC)–>PS Audio NuWave DAC–>Grover Audio ICs–>Belles Audio PreAmp–>Grover Audio ICs–>Marchand Audio XM44 Crossover–>Jon Risch DIY IC's–> Edge Monoblock Amps–>Jon Risch DIY Speaker Cables–>Aerial Acoustics 10t Speakers (and twin Paradigm Servo Subwoofers) Powered by a PS Audio P10

More kudos to Roon. For those of us who have been asking for support for HQPlayer, Roon just received code from Signalyst to allow them to start the process of integration with HQP. In addition to adding the SQ many of us like from HQP, this should allow us to use the Sonare Sonic Orbiter or the SOtM sMS-100 as a network audio endpoint, in turn getting a computer out of our audio stack. Right now the only non-computer NAE that I know is on Roon's road map is Auralic's Aries. The Aries is more expensive and won't work for me technically, so I'm pleased as punch to have other options.

Thanks Roon!

Huzzah! PCM->DSD upsampling in Roon? Looks like I may be purchasing additional Roon licenses.

Resubscribed to Tidal because Roon made it awesome with how it integrates with my existing library.

I'm looking forward to the future versions that will give us the option to honour our Album Name and hopefully Album Artist tags. Can't wait for the upcoming iPad app. It can't come fast enough.

1 suggestion: When starting a search by typing on the keyboard, spacebar should no longer pause but should be allowed add a space in the search

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas