IGNORED

Official Roon User Impressions Thread

Well after a few days playing with Roon, this music software is brilliant....I have found hidden gems in my collection I had previously forgotten about. The cross references, tagging features ( okay there's ’roon’ to improve - sorry couldn't resist the pun). I too was going to ditch before the end of the 14 day trial, not through anything to do with how Roon works, but purely because of the lack of iOS app....but I have been trying Teamviewer on my iPad to control my library, running on a Mac Mini under Win7. It works brilliantly! I can happily wait for the iOS app now......try Teamviewer, it works brilliantly to control Roon on the iPad :)

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

I am running Tidal via Roon and have given the combo recent praise. Now it's time for some constructive criticism. The Classical library management currently has let us say major challenges (alright, it sucks). I look up "Debussy" and get about 32 albums - mostly 2nd tier stuff. For the heck of it I type in Grimaud and then click one of her latest albums "Duo" because I know Debussy's Sonata for Cello and Piano is there. Sure enough, I find out that there are 29 separate performances available. Of course, you would never know this because you have to go on a treasure hunt to find it. It's similar for most composers. High level search (Composer name) generally will bring disappointment. Start digging though and there is a lot more under the covers than they are showing.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

I am running Tidal via Roon and have given the combo recent praise. Now it's time for some constructive criticism. The Classical library management currently has let us say major challenges (alright, it sucks). I look up "Debussy" and get about 32 albums - mostly 2nd tier stuff. For the heck of it I type in Grimaud and then click one of her latest albums "Duo" because I know Debussy's Sonata for Cello and Piano is there. Sure enough, I find out that there are 29 separate performances available. Of course, you would never know this because you have to go on a treasure hunt to find it. It's similar for most composers. High level search (Composer name) generally will bring disappointment. Start digging though and there is a lot more under the covers than they are showing.

Ok, this is a terrible situation, but once we get our search and sorts in order for TIDAL, I think this should get much better. However, here is the easy way to see what you wanted:

1) search for "debussy", and if you don't have him your library, then "more results in tidal"

2) Click on Claude Debussy -- Now, something to note... we have a composer Debussy, and we have an artist Debussy (UGH).. this is something we are trying to fight right now, because even our metadata sources have Debussy as an artist. This is just stupid.

3) When you end up on Debussy's details page, in the lower right of the top image header area, you should see a flip box to go between performer and composer. If you flip over to his composer page, you will see all his works. In my Roon instance here, I have 8 works by Debussy, and TIDAL has 209. So I click over to TIDAL and I see all 209 works.

4) Too many works! I click on filter and type "Sonata" and boom, I see L135 (29 performances) and L140 (35 performances).

5) Click L135 and you can see the 29 performances there, including "Duo" (which I am currently listening to :-) )

So, it seems like a lot of steps, but its really search -> debussy -> works -> tidal -> the work you want. That is, assuming that you didn't get a screwed up search, or this horrible duality of Debussy the aritst and Debussy the composer :-(

Does that help a bit? It's still not ideal, and we gotta get that search in TIDAL better, and we gotta kill Debussy the artist. I have a lot more ideas about classical mode, and there is some pretty healthy conversation going on over at our community site. If you have ideas, please post them there and we will take everything into consideration when we continue to design classical mode.

Yes, it helps but it could be more intuitive - especially for the uninitiated in the classical genre. I've been listening to classical music for 30 years so I'm no stranger to the data/filing challenges. Open searches are always a problem (Do you use last name, complete name, what happens if there are different spellings. How do you list the pieces etc). Most of the large online classical sites have you choose from a pull down for Composer, Conductor and Artist - thus ensuring proper grouping at least at the macro level. I've found that having internal consistency is the key whatever you choose. You can't use the info from the record label because you will wind up all over the place. Because you highlighted a Mozart piece in one of your previews I hoped things would be a little bit more tidy. However, you guys seem responsive to your subscribers so I'm sure things will get better.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

Danny,

Any plans to integrate ClassicsOnline HD•LL with Roon?

The classical search needs work. As in Tidal, it is very difficult to find some albums. Sometimes it works if you search by conductor. Other times you can find the selection if you search by orchestra or soloist. Ideally, for the same album, all should give you the same results.

Also, under credits, there are a number of fields that are not active. For example, I like to search by engineer, for certain classical titles, and this is not an active field.

I hope you consider making as many fields as possible in the credits searchable.

Thanks for a great product overall.

Bruce

Yes, it helps but it could be more intuitive - especially for the uninitiated in the classical genre. I've been listening to classical music for 30 years so I'm no stranger to the data/filing challenges. Open searches are always a problem (Do you use last name, complete name, what happens if there are different spellings. How do you list the pieces etc). Most of the large online classical sites have you choose from a pull down for Composer, Conductor and Artist - thus ensuring proper grouping at least at the macro level. I've found that having internal consistency is the key whatever you choose. You can't use the info from the record label because you will wind up all over the place. Because you highlighted a Mozart piece in one of your previews I hoped things would be a little bit more tidy. However, you guys seem responsive to your subscribers so I'm sure things will get better.
Ok, this is a terrible situation, but once we get our search and sorts in order for TIDAL, I think this should get much better. However, here is the easy way to see what you wanted:

1) search for "debussy", and if you don't have him your library, then "more results in tidal"

2) Click on Claude Debussy -- Now, something to note... we have a composer Debussy, and we have an artist Debussy (UGH).. this is something we are trying to fight right now, because even our metadata sources have Debussy as an artist. This is just stupid.

3) When you end up on Debussy's details page, in the lower right of the top image header area, you should see a flip box to go between performer and composer. If you flip over to his composer page, you will see all his works. In my Roon instance here, I have 8 works by Debussy, and TIDAL has 209. So I click over to TIDAL and I see all 209 works.

4) Too many works! I click on filter and type "Sonata" and boom, I see L135 (29 performances) and L140 (35 performances).

5) Click L135 and you can see the 29 performances there, including "Duo" (which I am currently listening to :-) )

So, it seems like a lot of steps, but its really search -> debussy -> works -> tidal -> the work you want. That is, assuming that you didn't get a screwed up search, or this horrible duality of Debussy the aritst and Debussy the composer :-(

Does that help a bit? It's still not ideal, and we gotta get that search in TIDAL better, and we gotta kill Debussy the artist. I have a lot more ideas about classical mode, and there is some pretty healthy conversation going on over at our community site. If you have ideas, please post them there and we will take everything into consideration when we continue to design classical mode.

I have a suggestion. When one click on Debussy composer page, I want to see a few things on the same page:

1. All the genre/sub-genre under Debussy in my library

2. Performers under Debussy in my library

3. Orchestra under Debussy in my library

4. Conductor under Debussy in my library

We can make these items expandable or collapsed in order not to clutter the composer page.

This is not just for composer. We can do ithe same for other classical fields like orchestra, conductors or performers.

Well after a few days playing with Roon, this music software is brilliant....I have found hidden gems in my collection I had previously forgotten about. The cross references, tagging features ( okay there's ’roon’ to improve - sorry couldn't resist the pun). I too was going to ditch before the end of the 14 day trial, not through anything to do with how Roon works, but purely because of the lack of iOS app....but I have been trying Teamviewer on my iPad to control my library, running on a Mac Mini under Win7. It works brilliantly! I can happily wait for the iOS app now......try Teamviewer, it works brilliantly to control Roon on the iPad :)

Thanks for the TeamViewer tip, I've been trying to use Microsoft's built in RDC but Roon/Tidal see the iPad as an endpoint (thus playing music on the device itself and not my main stereo). I downloaded the app but won't have time to install it and play with it until this evening. Does TeamViewer allow Roon to play on the main stereo while you control it from your iPad?

Thanks

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Thanks for the TeamViewer tip, I've been trying to use Microsoft's built in RDC but Roon/Tidal see the iPad as an endpoint (thus playing music on the device itself and not my main stereo). I downloaded the app but won't have time to install it and play with it until this evening. Does TeamViewer allow Roon to play on the main stereo while you control it from your iPad?

Thanks

Yes Teamviewer is setup on the iPad - download from the App Store. You need to download team viewer for your respective OS of choice that you are going to control. Setup on the target computer is a breeze.....you want to control the pc unattended option.....you will be asked to set up a personal password.....you will finally end up with a Teamviewer ID and system generated password. You enter these details on the IPad, and off you go.....

I found a pen/pointer works better on the iPad, rather than using your own digits. The screen size is adjusted and optimised for the iPad whilst Teamviewer is running on the PC. Screen resolution automatically adjusts back to the original settings when you disconnect from Teamviewer

What's the issue? They seem really friendly on their forums.

Check out the posts by "JimH" on the JRiver Interact forum or "jriver" on this one …

"It is commonly accepted amongst authentic libertines that the sensations communicated by the organs of hearing are the most flattering and those impressions are the liveliest" (Donatien Alphonse François de Sade)

So it appears that it's possible to run Roon on WS2012 with AO. Great news!

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/win...er-2012-r2/573

I'm hoping to give Roon a try on WS2012 + AO, using JRiver (only until HQPlayer is an option!!) to render the audio. Does Roon require WS2012 GUI mode, or will it run in Core mode?

I read earlier in the thread that someone experienced some glitches at the start of playback when using JRiver with Roon. Has anyone been able to combine Roon & JRiver successfully?

Thanks,

Keith

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Signal Quality (I think) ?

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

I'm trying to figure out what the community here means by "SQ".

Sound Quality (I think) :)

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

Just tested it and it works to stream from the server to a client. I got confused at the labeling of my output as Private. Carry on :~)

Hi Guys - With the latest update Roon version 1 (build 3) stable, Roon has disabled sending audio from the server / core to a client computer running Roon. This was apparently enabled accidentally in previous versions.

I wish they would bring this back.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Guys - With the latest update Roon version 1 (build 3) stable, Roon has disabled sending audio from the server / core to a client computer running Roon. This was apparently enabled accidentally in previous versions.

I wish they would bring this back.

Chris (or Danny) could you elaborate a bit more on this change? The use case that I would really like to see Roon support would (at least for me look like this):

1. Install Roon on my NAS connected desktop PC as it is the most powerful computer in the home.

2. Install the remote version on my laptop so that I can USB connect it to my DAC wherever I'm listening in the house

3. Provide an iPad remote version to allow the exploration of my Tidal extended music library to continue from the couch but using either the laptop USB connection or an ethernet NAS/DAC connection to deliver the actual soundstream.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Chris (or Danny) could you elaborate a bit more on this change? The use case that I would really like to see Roon support would (at least for me look like this):

1. Install Roon on my NAS connected desktop PC as it is the most powerful computer in the home.

2. Install the remote version on my laptop so that I can USB connect it to my DAC wherever I'm listening in the house

3. Provide an iPad remote version to allow the exploration of my Tidal extended music library to continue from the couch but using either the laptop USB connection or an ethernet NAS/DAC connection to deliver the actual soundstream.

This is how many people envisioned using Roon. Having a powerful computer running the server / core in another room, and Mac Mini or laptop running the client / remote in the listening room.

In the future there will be a plethora of products capable of accepting Roon audio via the RoonSpeakers protocol, but this will require purchasing another piece of gear rather than using a computer running the client.

Danny - Any reason you guys elected to disable this feature? I know the audio outputs on remote computers were supposed to be hidden (and weren't for some reason on the initial release). Why hide / make private these outputs?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I'm waiting in the iOS app to demo. Sounds like a nice alternative to iTunes.

My one concern, and I might not get a good response on this forum, is in regards to needle drops. Someone mentioned issues with Roon matching up albums/songs/data when there were small differences in song lengths. A growing percentage of my music library, close to 40%, is vinyl I've imported into iTunes from Audacity. I worry about how much of that will go missing or be identified incorrectly.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

So I can only use the client to control what's playing on the server, I can't play music in the client itself? If that's the case I've lost any interest I had.

My set up is I have two Mac Minis. One in the living room, another in the office. I have the living room Mac set up as a server, and the office one as a client. I'd been able to use Roon to play music on the client through the office stereo system. Now it seems I won't be able to do that.

I'm waiting in the iOS app to demo. Sounds like a nice alternative to iTunes.

My one concern, and I might not get a good response on this forum, is in regards to needle drops. Someone mentioned issues with Roon matching up albums/songs/data when there were small differences in song lengths. A growing percentage of my music library, close to 40%, is vinyl I've imported into iTunes from Audacity. I worry about how much of that will go missing or be identified incorrectly.

Bill

I just checked one of my vinyl rips and Roon identified it perfectly. This isn't a longitudinal study, but at lest one data point. Here is a screenshot. I have three versions of Led Zeppelin II.

Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 12.07.41 PM.png

So I can only use the client to control what's playing on the server, I can't play music in the client itself? If that's the case I've lost any interest I had.

My set up is I have two Mac Minis. One in the living room, another in the office. I have the living room Mac set up as a server, and the office one as a client. I'd been able to use Roon to play music on the client through the office stereo system. Now it seems I won't be able to do that.

You can play music on the server / core and the client / remote. You just can't send audio from the server to the client because the audio outputs on the client are hidden from the server now.

Edit: Let me try to explain this a bit better. You can't sit at the server computer and select a client as an audio output.

This is how many people envisioned using Roon. Having a powerful computer running the server / core in another room, and Mac Mini or laptop running the client / remote in the listening room.

In the future there will be a plethora of products capable of accepting Roon audio via the RoonSpeakers protocol, but this will require purchasing another piece of gear rather than using a computer running the client.

Danny - Any reason you guys elected to disable this feature? I know the audio outputs on remote computers were supposed to be hidden (and weren't for some reason on the initial release). Why hide / make private these outputs?

Chris am I missing something here? I have the latest build 3 installed on both machines Win 7 and iMac - I have updated my Win 7 running the core library, using my iMac as a remote and the system plays fine? The rendering stream on the iMac shows up as Roonspeaker streaming.... From your previous post, it sounds like this should not be working since the latest build 3 release?

You can play music on the server / core and the client / remote. You just can't send audio from the server to the client because the audio outputs on the client are hidden from the server now.

Edit: Let me try to explain this a bit better. You can't sit at the server computer and select a client as an audio output.

Edit 2: Once the remote app comes into play I'm not sure how this will work.

Chris am I missing something here? I have the latest build 3 installed on both machines Win 7 and iMac - I have updated my Win 7 running the core library, using my iMac as a remote and the system plays fine? The rendering stream on the iMac shows up as Roonspeaker streaming.... From your previous post, it sounds like this should not be working since the latest build 3 release?

Maybe my explanation wasn't clear enough (likely).

When sitting at the server / core computer, it's no longer possible to send audio to an audio device connected to a client / remote computer.

For example, I used to be able to send audio from my server to my iMac / client / remote.

This is from the release notes:

"Private zones are now actually private! A bug in the initial release made them controllable remotely by accident."