IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

No doubt! But how do you fit all those players into your living room--and then get them to play quietly late at night? ;)

with a low pass filter:)

So, the REGEN is a sort of data FIFO buffer and 5V. regenerator?

I do not understand why some people are trying to compare REGEN with Totaldac D1 FILTER/cable.

Totaldac D1 filter/cable is a passive filter, REGEN is more than this is an active circuit which acts as buffer in order to reduce the jitter.

REGEN, if we have to compare it, has to be compared with Totaldac D1 Reclocker, which makes same function, if I understood, but at different price level.

I think REGEN is a very smart item which helps to increase the potentiality of a "normal" USB cable.

I see that the Regen is supposed to be inserted into the user's DAC, using the usb adapter. However, I use a spdif converter.

Question: For those of us using a spdif converter, such that the Regen will be connected to the spdif converter rather than the DAC, will the Regen provide a similar benefit/SQ improvement?

Thanks in advance.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I see that the Regen is supposed to be inserted into the user's DAC, using the usb adapter. However, I use a spdif converter.

Question: For those of us using a spdif converter, such that the Regen will be connected to the spdif converter rather than the DAC, will the Regen provide a similar benefit/SQ improvement?

Thanks in advance.

Not as much, since part of the Regen's goodness is impedance matching.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Thanks in advance.

I would say yes. The basic principle within both - either USB DAC or a USB Spdif converter - is identical. Both feature an USB receiver (very often a chip solution from xmos). The difference between the devices is solely after the USB conversion! (DAC is using internal i2s bus from the USB receiver, SPDIF is just a different communication channel)

So either you are using the REGEN with an USB DAC or with an USB Spdif converter, the advantages stay the same

Henning

Not as much, since part of the Regen's goodness is impedance matching.

cry.gif

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I would say yes. The basic principle within both - either USB DAC or a USB Spdif converter - is identical. Both feature an USB receiver (very often a chip solution from xmos). The difference between the devices is solely after the USB conversion! (DAC is using internal i2s bus from the USB receiver, SPDIF is just a different communication channel)

So either you are using the REGEN with an USB DAC or with an USB Spdif converter, the advantages stay the same

Henning

Yes, Henning got it right (and this is just his 5ht post here at CA! :))

Let's put it this way: if anyone using a USB>S/PDIF converter can hear a difference between USB cables, computer PS, or computer OS changes, then you are pretty certain to hear a very nice difference with the REGEN.

Let's put it this way: if anyone using a USB>S/PDIF converter can hear a difference between USB cables, computer PS, or computer OS changes, then you are pretty certain to hear a very nice difference with the REGEN.

Well, I can definitely hear changes so..... I'll give it a whirl and report my findings in the sonic impressions thread. I just place my order.

That will be one long line of stuff between my MacBook and my DAC, but each component constituting the "stuff" has resulted in clear sonic improvements so, what's one more gizmo?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Ah, my apologies for the misinformation then.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

... pheeew! :)

turned wi-fi off today for the very first time (connecting now via ethernet) and... it definitely makes a difference :)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Good news and bad news...I got my notice of a Friday delivery of my Regen. Bad news is I leave Friday for Axpona.

Good news is that you'll have something new to try when you get back from Axpona. There's always a bright side.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Good news and bad news...I got my notice of a Friday delivery of my Regen. Bad news is I leave Friday for Axpona.

Sorry Ted, you could have gotten it Wednesday, but out of 100 people, you were the only one who chose USP Ground over the cheaper and faster Priority Mail 2-day. In setting the rates, I forgot to account for UPS's residential delivery surcharge, so that slow truck, with insurance, actually cost a couple bucks more than the $13 you paid.

Hope you enjoy Axpona-and the REGEN when you return!

--Alex C.

Congratulations Paolo. But hasn't everybody here been bugging you to do that for at least a year? ;)

blush.gif

headphones system:

with a low pass filter:)

Good one ! I laughed out loud :)

So, the REGEN is a sort of data FIFO buffer and 5V. regenerator?.

Not quite. Like its name the device regenerates the USB signal on the data line, to make it as 'strong' and 'accurate' as possible, so the reciever at the end of the line doesn't have to work hard to 'understand' the signal, and thus doesn't add any garbage to the DAC input which happens with the extra work of interpreting a poor signal. And, it provides a very clean +5 volts too.

At least that's how I try and put it in laymans language...

Cool stuff, shipping notice received! Next step need to figure out how to upgrade Bryston BDP-2 music server firmware to enable it to transmit usb data out. All my music stored in external HD connected to BDP-2 via usb cable on different usb port. Will this configuration less ideal and interfere with usb music data out to Regen, I am not sure??