IGNORED

ARIES vs mini... Confused

The word that immediately came to mind when I listened was more air .

That's what I would have said was lacking in some recordings so this bodes well for Aries... Alas, I will not be able to give you my impressions until the weekend (partly b/c my Aries is currently unplugged and I would not derive any conclusions from a cold solid state device).

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

It appears that Mr Wang and his staff are good listeners .

Well, science first and then subjective second. Thanks for the compliment though.

That's what I would have said was lacking in some recordings so this bodes well for Aries... Alas, I will not be able to give you my impressions until the weekend (partly b/c my Aries is currently unplugged and I would not derive any conclusions from a cold solid state device).

It only takes a couple of hours for the Femto Clocks to get to temp. Get on the subway or in whatever form you use!

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

It only takes a couple of hours for the Femto Clocks to get to temp. Get on the subway or in whatever form you use!

I'm a subway type... Busy at work... Ongaku doesn't pay for itself!

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

Well, science first and then subjective second. Thanks for the compliment though.

Since when is engineering Science? Its application of certain scientific working theories, not strictly science, unless the engineer is progressive and does actual experimentation using the scientific method. LoL

Also, if its science first, why not get it right the first time?

Still, its going in the right direction, so no complaints here.

Superdad, have you ever compared the USB ports on a rMBP (I have a 15" mid-2012) with the USB ports on the latest mini? I'm wondering whether the rMBP USB ports are better than the ones on the mini. In any event, I'm planning to try your regen device before comparing the Aries to my rMBP.

Also, does running off the battery on my rMBP improve things over the PSU in the mini?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

So you have one?

Not yet, but seriously considering it because its sooooo moddable and also well supported on the IT side.

Throw the Regen on top of obvious internal mods and you may have the makings of a killer Transport.

Plus, your tireless support is making inroads...cant ignore your door banging any longer. I figure there must be something there that you are drawing my attention to.

Since you are an engineering techie, google the innards and tell me if you see step down (switching) regulators or LDO (linear low dropout) regs? That will tell me if inside is a RFI/EMI soup, or its a relatively clean field.

Not yet, but seriously considering it because its sooooo moddable and also well supported on the IT side.

Plus, your tireless support is making inroads...cant ignore your banging any longer. I figure there must be something there you are drawing my attention to.

Since you are an engineering techie, google the innards and tell me if you see step down (switching) regulators or LDO (linear low dropout) regs? That will tell me if inside is a rfi soup, or its a relatively clean field.

I've been told it's all linear. You can email AURALiC though and they will tell you whatever you want to know. [email protected]

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Throw the Regen on top of obvious internal mods and you may have the makings of a killer Transport.

Plus, your tireless support is making inroads...cant ignore your door banging any longer. I figure there must be something there that you are drawing my attention to.

Since you are an engineering techie, google the innards and tell me if you see step down (switching) regulators or LDO (linear low dropout) regs? That will tell me if inside is a RFI/EMI soup, or its a relatively clean field.

Anyone with some knowledge of the components pictured can likely tell exactly what is done in here. I am not one such person but...

From my limited knowledge what I see is basically some inductor/capacitor bypassing. I don't see linear regulators there (the generally look like output transistors and usually need heatsinks. Also if I am not mistaken most digital chips would use 5V rails (XMOS USB chip for example). The 16V input seems to be chosen to be regulated down to 12V and 5V and I seem to recall that doing that with a linear regulator (5V in particular) generates a lot of heat.

There's the addition of digital noise and how well that is handled.

Would appreciate someone with actual knowledge to chip in... :)

system pics

(grin) The vendor will tell you whatever you want to know... There is something about that statement... :)

Agree but this is most likely the result of not knowing than deceit. The person handling those emails are very likely not hardware engineers!

system pics

Anyone with some knowledge of the components pictured can likely tell exactly what is done in here. I am not one such person but...

From my limited knowledge what I see is basically some inductor/capacitor bypassing. I don't see linear regulators there (the generally look like output transistors and usually need heatsinks. Also if I am not mistaken most digital chips would use 5V rails (XMOS USB chip for example). The 16V input seems to be chosen to be regulated down to 12V and 5V and I seem to recall that doing that with a linear regulator (5V in particular) generates a lot of heat.

There's the addition of digital noise and how well that is handled.

Would appreciate someone with actual knowledge to chip in... :)

Thanks for taking a stab at it.

Thanks for taking a stab at it.

I feel fairly confident that some non-linear-regulator-based voltage step-down is done here - it's inevitable as the USB ports are powered and require 5V, not 16V.

Having said this, SMPS as a whole get too much of a bad rap... Some SMPS are very carefully designed and produce very clean power - not for cheap though. It is quite possible that this is done very cleanly in this design since it is so clearly purpose built.

As an example, consider the Linn Linto phono stage: it uses a SMPS! A phono stage of all things!!! Anathema... Yet...

system pics