IGNORED

ARIES vs mini... Confused

I do too. Throw in the fact that I don't have to wrestle with computers and auxiliary programs and I'm done with the AREIS. However, it's just audio and the good thing is nobody here other than Miguelito has to listen to his system. While I'm surprised he doesn't like it more, I still enjoy reading his findings as that's what this craziness online is really about.

Aries sounds better then Mac mini using Audirvana in my setup and that setup sounds damn good .

Thus , I prefer the Aries .

I have an old Logitech Transporter and squeezebox Touch and the Aries blows those two away .

So here's my rank :

1) Aries

2) Mac mini with Audirvana

3) distant third too - Logitech products

Aries sounds better then Mac mini using Audirvana in my setup and that setup sounds damn good .

Thus , I prefer the Aries .

I have an old Logitech Transporter and squeezebox Touch and the Aries blows those two away .

So here's my rank :

1) Aries

2) Mac mini with Audirvana

3) distant third too - Logitech products

I agree but there is no need to get personal. That's all I'm saying. The ARIES for me has been absolutely amazing and one of the best things I've purchased for playback. It's everything and more than I hoped it to be.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I do too. Throw in the fact that I don't have to wrestle with computers and auxiliary programs and I'm done with the AREIS. However, it's just audio and the good thing is nobody here other than Miguelito has to listen to his system. While I'm surprised he doesn't like it more, I still enjoy reading his findings as that's what this craziness online is really about.

Someone's put a pea under his mattress and he hasn't a good night sleep since then. ;-)

Also second, that I enjoy your search for better sound...but maybe there truly is something defective with your Aries

Someone's put a pea under his mattress and he hasn't a good night sleep since then. ;-)

Also second, that I enjoy your search for better sound...but maybe there truly is something defective with your Aries

My ARIES is just fine!

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

J

I have a very differing opinion on the Aries compared to miguelito. I replaced a 2010 with SSD and all the goodies ( no LPS) for the reasons you outline...a pain to play any music.

The Aries is a significant improvemnt in sound quality and when you toss in the ease of use of Lightning DS there is no question, to me, which is the one to chose. I am very interested in any improvements wrought by the Uptone

Wdw

Hi wdw,

One of the biggest differences is the LPSU. No wonder the Aries beat your Mini in your setup.

My finding has been similar to Miguelito in that the Aries comes close in sound but not quite. Then again, I only use the Mini's stripped mobo with LPSU for mobo and harddrives and a bunch of other tweaks.

Functionality wise and ease of use, plug and play, with the latest firmware and DSL, the Aries is certainly far easier to use.

Cheers

Hi wdw,

One of the biggest differences is the LPSU. No wonder the Aries beat your Mini in your setup.

My finding has been similar to Miguelito in that the Aries comes close in sound but not quite. Then again, I only use the Mini's stripped mobo with LPSU for mobo and harddrives and a bunch of other tweaks.

Functionality wise and ease of use, plug and play, with the latest firmware and DSL, the Aries is certainly far easier to use.

Cheers

Really does beg the question...what level of influence/improvement is offered by swapping in the Uptone. Suspect it is an improvement.

But I still question how a purpose built Linux box would be a lessor player than a hacked personal computer with all of its redundent processes.

Best to all

WDW

Some of us with somewhat brighter equipment, like me, think the latest FW now has too much sibilance on vocals...

Ha! Well, my system cannot be called "bright" but I would regard it as very neutral.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I don't think that there's anything wrong with my Aries. If I got distortion or dropouts or something like that I might think differently, but I do not.

Couple of things:

1- Aries as an appliance-type solution is probably as good as it gets. I very much doubt that any of the other server/renderers are better.

2- We are talking about very subtle differences - I could live with the Aries just fine

3- When you pull all the stops and start doing oversampling and whatnot with a machine with 16gb of RAM and 8 cores, well, I'm not surprised the Aries can be beat

Having said all of the above, I still have my Aries! I could happily live with it as-is. Alas, I am tempted to try other things.

Off to South Beach to party tomorrow. So long suckers! :)

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

I don't think that there's anything wrong with my Aries. If I got distortion or dropouts or something like that I might think differently, but I do not.

Couple of things:

1- Aries as an appliance-type solution is probably as good as it gets. I very much doubt that any of the other server/renderers are better.

2- We are talking about very subtle differences - I could live with the Aries just fine

3- When you pull all the stops and start doing oversampling and whatnot with a machine with 16gb of RAM and 8 cores, well, I'm not surprised the Aries can be beat

Having said all of the above, I still have my Aries! I could happily live with it as-is. Alas, I am tempted to try other things.

Off to South Beach to party tomorrow. So long suckers! :)

...aha...there's the rub! it isn't hardware per se...the comparison you're making is between NOS audio streaming to the Aries and massively oversampled audio with HDPlayer.

...aha...there's the rub! it isn't hardware per se...the comparison you're making is between NOS audio streaming to the Aries and massively oversampled audio with HDPlayer.

Read my original... Jeez! I'm crystal clear there.

And btw... Comparing the two devices pulling all stops is perfectly legitimate. Can the Aries oversample? No.

system pics

Read my original... Jeez! I'm crystal clear there.

And btw... Comparing the two devices pulling all stops is perfectly legitimate. Can the Aries oversample? No.

now don't get testy, miggy.... ;-)

we are comparing peas to potatoes...the work that HDPlayer is doing, if it was happening after the Aries (in the DAC) the superior hardware and lower noise floor of the Aries would clearly show itself. You are not comparing a mini to an Aries, you are comparing a kabillion times over sampling to NOS digital audio

Have fun at South Beach,

WDW

we are comparing peas to potatoes...the work that HDPlayer is doing, if it was happening after the Aries (in the DAC) the superior hardware and lower noise floor of the Aries would clearly show itself. You are not comparing a mini to an Aries, you are comparing a kabillion times over sampling to NOS digital audio

Have fun at South Beach,

WDW

My comp included both no upsampling and upsampling. I'd suggest you read it.

And we are comparing final result. That is all I care about.

system pics

Have fun at South Beach,

WDW

Yes my Miggy is comparing apples with oranges . Too many English ales in London for my Miggy !!

I'm off to South Beach .

Yes my Miggy is comparing apples with oranges . Too many English ales in London for my Miggy !!

I'm off to South Beach .

I don't know why but I'd love to see you and "miggy" together. I bet I'd laugh my ass off.

I'm hoping Miggy invites me to his palace in NYC ! His " golden ears" vs. my "peasant ears " .

Oh FELICIA, I have never used such terms, only you have... I just give you guys my honest opinion, in my system, to my ears... If you don't like that, you can take it with the Flying Spaghetti Monster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...

system pics

Guess we'll find out when he returns from the Yacht Club in SB.

Oh Jason... Really? That low?

system pics