IGNORED

ARIES vs mini... Confused

True, and that's why I bought an Aries with LPS. But unfortunately I found the mini was better. And I will see what the LPS does to the sound.

I like Lightning DS a lot. I tried the Sonore at home (Jesus came for dinner one night). It sounded great but given my DAC it cannot do DSD so that's a bummer.

As for the Aries, I might just keep it and use it in my beach house - it's more about convenience than SQ there (I don't have a second Ongaku there... :) ).

...a beach house and Jesus comes for dinner...I'm impressed. ;-)

...a beach house and Jesus comes for dinner...I'm impressed. ;-)

Jesus from Sonore, not Jesus from... Actually I don't know from where - never been. ;)

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Jesus from Sonore, not Jesus from... Actually I don't know from where - never been. ;)

I was born in Bethlehem, and Nazareth is just up the road. ;)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Ha! Cool.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

I've had a difficult morning (arguing with insurance companies--worse than arguing with audiophiles) and you two just gave me a big laugh. Thanks! :)

--Alex

P.S. Miguel: USPS claims your JS-2/MMK will be delivered tomorrow (Wednesday). Hope you like it.

BTW, the USB ports on the Mac minis sound different depending upon year. For the 2012, I can promise you that ports #1 and #3 are the best sounding (when looking at the machine from the front, #1 is the leftmost, #4 is the one closest to the middle of the machine). I use #3 all the time. #2 or #4 you will not like and will make it sound worse than a 2010 mini (I found that out in just such a companion when I was choosing which of the 3 years, '10, '11, '12 to keep for my music system). And yes, the 2009 mini, even with an LPS, can't hold a candle to the newer ones. There are good reasons for that, but I see no need to get into that this morning.

True, and that's why I bought an Aries with LPS. But unfortunately I found the mini was better. And I will see what the LPS does to the sound.

I like Lightning DS a lot. I tried the Sonore at home (Jesus came for dinner one night). It sounded great but given my DAC it cannot do DSD so that's a bummer.

As for the Aries, I might just keep it and use it in my beach house - it's more about convenience than SQ there (I don't have a second Ongaku there... :) ).

Well give me a discounted price and I will take that awful Aries off your hands!!

I've had a difficult morning (arguing with insurance companies--worse than arguing with audiophiles) and you two just gave me a big laugh. Thanks! :)

Glad the banter serves a good purpose!

P.S. Miguel: USPS claims your JS-2/MMK will be delivered tomorrow (Wednesday). Hope you like it.

:)

BTW, the USB ports on the Mac minis sound different depending upon year. For the 2012, I can promise you that ports #1 and #3 are the best sounding (when looking at the machine from the front, #1 is the leftmost, #4 is the one closest to the middle of the machine). I use #3 all the time. #2 or #4 you will not like and will make it sound worse than a 2010 mini (I found that out in just such a companion when I was choosing which of the 3 years, '10, '11, '12 to keep for my music system). And yes, the 2009 mini, even with an LPS, can't hold a candle to the newer ones. There are good reasons for that, but I see no need to get into that this morning.

Yes, in fact I use #1 for signal and #3 for power (I have a Lightspeed split cable). This was based on that thread you contributed to. Once I have the JS-2 I will use #1 for signal and the 2nd output in the JS-2 for power. Lovely.

system pics

Well give me a discounted price and I will take that awful Aries off your hands!!

I just might...

system pics

I'm listening.

I don't think I will be selling just yet... :)

system pics

I don't think I will be selling just yet... :)

Because you know that overall the Aries has the best connection and music services feature set even though you think

your macmini setup sounds better.

Lots of streamers with usb only output ,spdif output only or are missing a usb ouput like the Simaudio 180 .Many of the competitor's

streamers dont have internet radio or music services capability .Some ,like the Aurender , make you use Airplay(yuck) while the Aries

has Songcast built in which sounds better then Airplay.

I need to feed two to three different systems so I want one music streamer that has USB,Spdif,AES and Optical outputs. The Aries has this.

Maybe the 2.0 firmware update will make the improvement you want.

I look forward to hearing your opinion on 2.0 and whether it made any differnence with your setup.

Because you know that overall the Aries has the best connection and music services feature set even though you think

your macmini setup sounds better.

Yes, the Aries is perfect feature-wise, agree completely. And yes for the n-th time, my mini sounds better to my ears in my setup - and it's a PITA to use compared to Lightning DS.

Maybe the 2.0 firmware update will make the improvement you want. I look forward to hearing your opinion on 2.0 and whether it made any differnence with your setup.

It would be awesome if it does - I keep an open mind and clean ears. :)

system pics

yes, the aries is perfect feature-wise, agree completely. And yes for the n-th time, my mini sounds better to my ears in my setup - and it's a pita to use compared to lightning ds.

It would be awesome if it does - i keep an open mind and clean ears. :)

big smile!

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Hi miguelito

I too have heard the Aires and although I like it, I wasn't impressed with it enough to buy it.

I am considering getting the Sonore Sig Rendu. Unfortunately I do not have an option to try the SSR.

Can you please write a bit about your impressions of the SSR vs the Aires.

thanks

Edit: I am looking for sonic differences. I don't need USB/DSD/ dedicated app etc. Functionally the SSR meets my needs but need more info about sound vs Aires.

Hi miguelito

I too have heard the Aires and although I like it, I wasn't impressed with it enough to buy it.

I am considering getting the Sonore Sig Rendu. Unfortunately I do not have an option to try the SSR.

Can you please write a bit about your impressions of the SSR vs the Aires.

I'm sorry, I can't do that. Firstly I didn't listen to the Signature version. It was the standard version (possibly a prototype of some sort). Secondly, it warmed up while we ate (and drunk!) but hardly a good enough warm-up. Lastly I listened to it for maybe 1-2 hrs, I can't comment on comparisons with that time with the product. It sounded as good I would say over SPDIF/PCM.

system pics

I'm sorry, I can't do that. Firstly I didn't listen to the Signature version. It was the standard version (possibly a prototype of some sort). Secondly, it warmed up while we ate (and drunk!) but hardly a good enough warm-up. Lastly I listened to it for maybe 1-2 hrs, I can't comment on comparisons with that time with the product. It sounded as good I would say over SPDIF/PCM.

Thanks

A new realtime kernel for the Aries to improve audio quality on the last update !!!!!!

Miggy , this may be your holy grail !!!!!

A new realtime kernel for the Aries to improve audio quality on the last update !!!!!!

Miggy , this may be your holy grail !!!!!

Hey Jimmy... Will give it a spin ASAP.

system pics

Maybe the second hand price just went up? ;)

I'm axed to say that, right?

system pics

I detected some vocal sibilance in your comment!

Lets hope 2.1 sounds more like ASSSAP than AZZZAP. Ha!

(joke really only works if you say it in spanish)

system pics