IGNORED

ARIES vs mini... Confused

Tranz, have you had the opportunity to make this comparison or reporting comments made on this thread....am curious as to the influence of Alpha USB...

Hi wdw,

Yes, with latest firmware and using an untweaked NAS running Minimserver, hardwired. The BADA took away the slight fatiguing I had compared with the XLR/AES output. In terms of ease of use and functionality it was the most pleasant streamer experience. Still need to find an SRS to audition though to compare, but a sweet little device. Since it was borrowed from a friend I did not try mucking about with opening it for further tweaking.

Guys,

I'm flattered you care! Anyway... I had a small issue over the weekend which prevented me from doing a thorough listen. Plus lots of work and travel which means it will be a while until I get to give you my (humble) opinion on this...

Well?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Oh Miggy , where art thou ? We are awaiting your " Golden Ears " conclusion , with your million dollar dac !

I am waiting with the utmost patience for your royal verdict . You did visit the Queen while in London , didn't you ??!!?! .

Ok, here we go...

Firstly as always, this is in my setup, to my ears, OK FELICIA?

mini (configured as per my profile) with Uptone JS-2 linear power supply. HQPlayer this time (I'm liking it better these days than other player). So...

mini vs ARIES (fw 2.1) on USB:

- Still find the ARIES a spot darker than the mini, but closer.

- DSD: ARIES is great and I would say pretty much undistinguishable from the mini

- Redbook: ARIES is a little darker (the sibilance is not as realistic) but close. However, when HQPlayer is set to upsample it leaps forward and is clearly better

- TIDAL on ARIES cannot be beat by the mini - just as good on either platform - it would be nice if there was some way to upsample TIDAL using HQPlayer

mini vs ARIES (fw 2.1) on AES:

- DSD doesn't work with my DAC over anything other than USB so no comps

- Redbook: No darkness on ARIES, great, but HQPlayer+upsampling still better

Conclusion: Keep in mind I am doing A/B one after the other and the differences are SUBTLE. ARIES is a fantastic machine but does NOT trounce a properly set up mini i7/quad (which is leaps and bounds better than the older mini's). However, if you put in convenience and interface into the mix ARIES destroys the mini - until a better player with decent iPad remote comes along.

mini on JS-2 vs stock SMPS:

All I can say here is that the depth of the sound is increased - I don't mean bass but the lower level details. I struck me while cooking! It's sort of remarkable.

One more thing...

You CAN power the ARIES with the JS-2's 12V output! Confirmed by Mr Wang (he clarified that the supply would need to deliver 1.5A). And tried and true by yours truly. I have not done sound comparisons with the ARIES's 16V LPS - the ARIES is particularly finicky when booting up... I might do comps in the future.

That's all folks!

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Strange, mine isn't at all.

I presume if I let it boot and sit around for a bit it would be less finicky, but I do find it finicky and needing to reboot at times. Once it's settled it will not need a reboot ever.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

Ok, here we go...

Firstly as always, this is in my setup, to my ears, OK FELICIA?

mini (configured as per my profile) with Uptone JS-2 linear power supply. HQPlayer this time (I'm liking it better these days than other player). So...

mini vs ARIES (fw 2.1) on USB:

- Still find the ARIES a spot darker than the mini, but closer.

- DSD: ARIES is great and I would say pretty much undistinguishable from the mini

- Redbook: ARIES is a little darker (the sibilance is not as realistic) but close. However, when HQPlayer is set to upsample it leaps forward and is clearly better

- TIDAL on ARIES cannot be beat by the mini - just as good on either platform - it would be nice if there was some way to upsample TIDAL using HQPlayer

mini vs ARIES (fw 2.1) on AES:

- DSD doesn't work with my DAC over anything other than USB so no comps

- Redbook: No darkness on ARIES, great, but HQPlayer+upsampling still better

Conclusion: Keep in mind I am doing A/B one after the other and the differences are SUBTLE. ARIES is a fantastic machine but does NOT trounce a properly set up mini i7/quad (which is leaps and bounds better than the older mini's). However, if you put in convenience and interface into the mix ARIES destroys the mini - until a better player with decent iPad remote comes along.

mini on JS-2 vs stock SMPS:

All I can say here is that the depth of the sound is increased - I don't mean bass but the lower level details. I struck me while cooking! It's sort of remarkable.

One more thing...

You CAN power the ARIES with the JS-2's 12V output! Confirmed by Mr Wang (he clarified that the supply would need to deliver 1.5A). And tried and true by yours truly. I have not done sound comparisons with the ARIES's 16V LPS - the ARIES is particularly finicky when booting up... I might do comps in the future.

That's all folks!

So Miggy , Lord of London , Knight of the Audiophile Society , has the recent firmware update improved the audio quality ?

So Miggy , Lord of London , Knight of the Audiophile Society , has the recent firmware update improved the audio quality ?

Oh FELICIA... Read my post.

system pics

Well you are spouting a lot of the same stuff I've heard before , but I guess reading between the lines you admit there's been an improvement in Aries audio quality but STILL not good enough to surpass your sacred Mac Mini that was created with kryptonite.

Correct. You're not very smart are you?

system pics

I see you two are getting on well :)

Miguelito - can you expand a bit on what you mean by "darker"?

With Aries on USB the voice sibilance lacks a shimmer, sparkle that I get with the mini - it sounds more present with the mini. Aries on AES does not exhibit this - it's great.

system pics

I presume if I let it boot and sit around for a bit it would be less finicky, but I do find it finicky and needing to reboot at times. Once it's settled it will not need a reboot ever.

OK. Are you planning on trying the UpTone Regen since you have the JS-2?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Many thanks for the detailed review. I'm really enjoying the sound of my Mac Mini with JS-2, but to be frank I'm getting a tad annoyed with how "complicated" it is to simply play music - it's ok for me, but I really hate having to remind the missus to "make sure the sound output is set to the PS Audio in the Midi app!", or the finger gymnastics required on the iPad to control Audirvana/HQPlayer etc. The JRemote app is great, but it only works with JRMC, which sounds so poor next to the others... Maybe, as you point out, there is a role for an Aries here, for its simplicity!

Out of curiosity, what do you think of the Aurender machines? Would you consider them instead of an Aries these days (based on what you know of them)?

Artifex

Searching for Good Sounds in China!

Many thanks for the detailed review. I'm really enjoying the sound of my Mac Mini with JS-2, but to be frank I'm getting a tad annoyed with how "complicated" it is to simply play music - it's ok for me, but I really hate having to remind the missus to "make sure the sound output is set to the PS Audio in the Midi app!", or the finger gymnastics required on the iPad to control Audirvana/HQPlayer etc. The JRemote app is great, but it only works with JRMC, which sounds so poor next to the others... Maybe, as you point out, there is a role for an Aries here, for its simplicity!

Out of curiosity, what do you think of the Aurender machines? Would you consider them instead of an Aries these days (based on what you know of them)?

I know nothing about the Aurenders. Not interested in a server, only renderers, and I have not seen a review of their new products.

For simple playback using the mini I use A+2.0.9 in iTunes mode w Apple remote. Most stable remote ever. Sounds pretty good though HQP is better.

system pics

I know nothing about the Aurenders. Not interested in a server, only renderers, and I have not seen a review of their new products.

For simple playback using the mini I use A+2.0.9 in iTunes mode w Apple remote. Most stable remote ever. Sounds pretty good though HQP is better.

Uh, they have a renderer ,Lord Miggy.

Uh, they have a renderer ,Lord Miggy.

Oh FELICIA... You must be fun to have a drink with...

system pics

J

I have a very differing opinion on the Aries compared to miguelito. I replaced a 2010 with SSD and all the goodies ( no LPS) for the reasons you outline...a pain to play any music.

The Aries is a significant improvemnt in sound quality and when you toss in the ease of use of Lightning DS there is no question, to me, which is the one to chose. I am very interested in any improvements wrought by the Uptone

Wdw

J

I have a very differing opinion on the Aries compared to miguelito. I replaced a 2010 with SSD and all the goodies ( no LPS) for the reasons you outline...a pain to play any music.

The Aries is a significant improvemnt in sound quality a d when you toss in the ease of use of Lightning DS ther is no question, to me, whcih is the one to chose. I am very interested in any improvements wrought by the Uptone

Wdw

Ok, again, not all minis are the same. I have yet to find someone with an i7 mini with your opinion.

I had a top of the line 2009 mini with SSD, and the i7 is leaps and bounds better.

IIRC, the 2010 is also a Core2Duo.

system pics

I had a top of the line 2009 mini with SSD, and the i7 is leaps and bounds better.

I have to agree, even if I would not use the term "leaps and bounds." I've had 2009, 2010, 2011 i5, and now 2012 i7. The leap comes when leaving the Core 2 Duo of the '09, '10. The i5 2011 is quite good and what I recommend as a used machine for those on a budget (leaves room to rip out the SMPS and add the linear fan control and an LPS).

Yet I do find the i7 to be top-notch, especially since HQ Player loves to use processing power for massive SRC/SDM.

But hey Miguel, we want to read more about the improvements you are hearing with the Aries running off the JS-2! :)

J

The Aries is a significant improvemnt in sound quality and when you toss in the ease of use of Lightning DS there is no question, to me, which is the one to chose. I am very interested in any improvements wrought by the Uptone

Wdw

I do too. Throw in the fact that I don't have to wrestle with computers and auxiliary programs and I'm done with the AREIS. However, it's just audio and the good thing is nobody here other than Miguelito has to listen to his system. While I'm surprised he doesn't like it more, I still enjoy reading his findings as that's what this craziness online is really about.