IGNORED

TIDAL in the US TODAY!!!

Well it doesn't sound as good as my ripped alac lossless files .

Not sure why.

Are you streaming in "HiFi" mode? I am (with the desktop app, not the web-based interface) and it is truly amazing.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

What did you have to do to be an early supporter? Well the fact that they are offering 30 days to some and not to others, I will just stay away...maybe they will offer 30 day trial again in future...that or offer 12 months for price of 11.....I want a deal (grin)...

All I did was sign up with Tidal to be notified when they were going to go live in the US. I'm pretty sure that was when Chris C first mentioned that WiMP was going to be "Tidal" in the US.

Personally, I'm going to spend my month trying to decide if the cost is worth it to me. Most of my Tidal listening will be at the office, and since I can't really crank it up here, I'm not sure the quality difference (versus iTunes Radio and free Spotify) makes it worthwhile. I have to say, though, that I think the Tidal library is pretty decent in my genre of choice (jazz). I wish Qobuz were a viable option in the US — it would make the decision more difficult, but at least I'd have roughly an apples-to-apples choice.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I downloaded the Tidal app on my Mac Mini and when it is playing it makes the mini's fan run high. Anyone know how to fix that? Thanks.

SMC fan control can let you see the fan speed and temperatures. Can also set the fan higher if you wish (but obviously you want the opposite):

smcFanControl

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

Are you streaming in "HiFi" mode? I am (with the desktop app, not the web-based interface) and it is truly amazing.

I was talking about the web player when I mentioned it didn't sound that good. The desktop downloaded app sounds very good.

Some of the files I downloaded for offline listening in HIFI didn't seem that good. I will have to listen again with better headphones.

My set-up streams from my Macbook Pro, through an Apple TV, to a Peachtree Nova.

In theory, if I stream the same song from Tidal or ripped to iTunes from a CD, should they sound pretty-much the same?

I ask, because the few I checked don't.

Yes. They should sound the same if they are the same version of the recording. At least that is how the service is being marketed.

David

If i do not see the HiFi icon next to the transport bar, does that mean i am not streaming lossless? At first the icon was always present, but it has now disappeared. I have spotty satelite-based internet, so that may be the culprit. Thanks.

CAPS v2 with SOTM USB powered by Red Wine Lightning. Stello U3 usb -> spdif converter, Bel Canto 3.5 LNS, Ayre K-5xe mp preamplifier, Conrad Johnson Classic 60 power amp, Harbeth c7es3, Acoustic Zen cables

I really don't like albums listed, but then when you try to listen: "album unavailable for streaming". My first three albums I looked for, that were listed, said this. Unimpressed to say the least.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

I really don't like albums listed, but then when you try to listen: "album unavailable for streaming". My first three albums I looked for, that were listed, said this. Unimpressed to say the least.

Please use the new TIDAL Wish List thread to let them know the music you want is unavailable.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-music-downloads-and-streaming/official-tidal-hifi-music-wish-list-22173/

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

My set-up streams from my Macbook Pro, through an Apple TV, to a Peachtree Nova.

In theory, if I stream the same song from Tidal or ripped to iTunes from a CD, should they sound pretty-much the same?

I ask, because the few I checked don't.

Yes. They should sound the same if they are the same version of the recording. At least that is how the service is being marketed.

It could just be that the Tidal streams were not as loud at the iTunes streams, with the same volume setting on my amp.

Odd quirk, at least in the desktop app for Mac: Though I have the app set to run music out to my DAC, all tracks I've tried by a particular artist (Vieux Toure) play through the Mac's speakers instead. Any other artist goes through the DAC.

Blake: I know there are offline settings in the mobile app. I *think* they may be in the settings for the desktop app as well - will try to remember to look this evening.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I have a SSD hard drive and maxed out with memory.

Sure it's the fan and not the hard drive? Could be buffering and has filled up ram so it's making hard drive work.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

I will look into this.

SMC fan control can let you see the fan speed and temperatures. Can also set the fan higher if you wish (but obviously you want the opposite):

smcFanControl

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

Odd quirk, at least in the desktop app for Mac: Though I have the app set to run music out to my DAC, all tracks I've tried by a particular artist (Vieux Toure) play through the Mac's speakers instead. Any other artist goes through the DAC.

Blake: I know there are offline settings in the mobile app. I *think* they may be in the settings for the desktop app as well - will try to remember to look this evening.

That's frigging weird!

system pics

That's a rub isn't it? Darn artists. Getting in the way of commerce yet again.

It's normally the labels, and not the artists... at the same time, I'm happy to see that my digital distribution system is part of Tidal/WiMP - had to ask them as I didn't see either name in the front-end system I use to upload tracks, but it's actually under "Aspiro"...

Anyways, wonder if there's a way I can put some high-frequency noise at the end of a new album I'll be uploading soon, so we can see what kind of dithering mechanism they use - note that with the front-end I use, two file types are required, 48/24 and 96/24 if the files are to go to HDTracks (which they do). Not every label uses the same front end, but I wonder where along the chain TIDAL/WiMP pulls in the files and if they have any processing going on. Everything I've listened to so far sounds great!

Might be an artist request in the ID3 tag? Like PLAYSOURCE="Shitiest"?

system pics

Same here. I really don't feel like messing with it too much. So I guess this is a fail deal unless I get motivated to get it working. I set output to the DAC and hit play. Nothing. Set output to computer speakers. It plays. Strange.

Same here. I really don't feel like messing with it too much. So I guess this is a fail deal unless I get motivated to get it working. I set output to the DAC and hit play. Nothing. Set output to computer speakers. It plays. Strange.

Wonder if it is an odd sample rate / bit depth combination not supported by your DAC? Have you tried to route it through, say, AmarraSQ?

system pics

I just tried playing the 4 main albums by Vieux Farla Toure through the Mac desktop app and played fine through my Schiit Dac on my office system.

Thanks Jud.

I am looking at my Tidal desktop app and I can't see any settings for selecting "offline" vs. "online". Perhaps this is only a feature with the phone app (and possibly the web player)?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

(deleted)

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Thanks Jud.

I am looking at my Tidal desktop app and I can't see any settings for selecting "offline" vs. "online". Perhaps this is only a feature with the phone app (and possibly the web player)?

I've only seen this on the phone app, not on the desktop. That's a shame, too, since I often get dropped from HIFI with the message:

"We are experiencing HiFi playback problem. This may be caused by low bandwidth. You could try to switch streaming quality in settings."

Would love to have that download feature on computer to avoid that problem!

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

I've only seen this on the phone app, not on the desktop. That's a shame, too, since I often get dropped from HIFI with the message:

"We are experiencing HiFi playback problem. This may be caused by low bandwidth. You could try to switch streaming quality in settings."

Would love to have that download feature on computer to avoid that problem!

I don't have the streaming problem, but I *really* like the ability to save files locally, as Qobuz allows. Wish TIDAL would do the same, not just in the mobile apps.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system