IGNORED

TIDAL in the US TODAY!!!

There are several people mentioning a 30 day trial. I will try it with a 30 day trial, but not sure i will bother for a 7 day one. Some people in this thread even mention seeing both, and doing the 30 day trial...so it is out there somewhere?

Can someone that did the 30 day trial please share a link???

The TIDAL folks can answer, but I believe the 30-day trial is only available for those folks who signed up weeks ago to be "early adopters"; i.e., on the mailing list.

For folks who just started this journey yesterday, it appears a 7-day trial is the norm.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

... I believe the 30-day trial is only available for those folks who signed up weeks ago to be "early adopters"; i.e., on the mailing list.

For folks who just started this journey yesterday, it appears a 7-day trial is the norm.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's right. Here's what it said in the email I got from Tidal:

As a thank you for being early supporters of our service, and in doing so helping us evolve, we are pleased to offer you a 30 day VIP trial, instead of the 7 day trial we will offer all new subscribers.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

On an iPad or iPhone you could in principle run the iOS app and AirPlay to your device. We are talking CD quality bandwidth here (~1-2 mbps) so as long as your wireless network is decent this should work. If on mac mini you could run the native app and control over Screens or similar.

I tried that method with spotify and did not like it.

Has Tidal said anything about the expected growth of their library? I'm searching for some titles in my Spotify playlists on Tidal and I'm finding quite a few missing albums from artists like Townes van Zandt, Keith Greeninger, Ego Likeness, Andreas Vollenweider and North Mississippi Allstars. Tidal does have a White Stripes live album not available on Spotify (Under Great White Northern Lights), but lists a Jacky Jack White album under Jack White.

Has Tidal said anything about the expected growth of their library? I'm searching for some titles in my Spotify playlists on Tidal and I'm finding quite a few missing albums from artists like Townes van Zandt, Keith Greeninger, Ego Likeness, Andreas Vollenweider and North Mississippi Allstars. Tidal does have a White Stripes live album not available on Spotify (Under Great White Northern Lights), but lists a Jacky Jack White album under Jack White.

I would assume that any music streaming service has holes in its library (at this time anyway) that will either be filled later by the company or by the listener with their own purchase of the "missing" album. If, however, it becomes a moving target whereas artists and their albums appear for a bit then disappear again, well that would start to be a big problem for those companies. It would make no sense if one streaming service had say, Keith Jarrett and another had all of Weather Reports (or whatever variation of those) making it necessary to subscribe to more than one service.

It will be very interesting to see where this all goes in the next year or so.

David

I would assume that any music streaming service has holes in its library (at this time anyway) that will either be filled later by the company or by the listener with their own purchase of the "missing" album. If, however, it becomes a moving target whereas artists and their albums appear for a bit then disappear again, well that would start to be a big problem for those companies. It would make no sense if one streaming service had say, Keith Jarrett and another had all of Weather Reports (or whatever variation of those) making it necessary to subscribe to more than one service.

Unfortunately some bands have sold exclusive rights to a specific streaming service.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi, Steve. You can have the clients on as many Macs, PCs, tablets and phones as you like and login everywhere. But you can only have one device hold the "streaming rights" at a given time. You can get them to play simultaneously but it will soon after ask you which on you would like to carry on playing with. It's just so the music doesn't stop everywhere all the time.

So for streaming, you can be generous with yourself as to where to have it.

When it comes to offline, there is only three devices that can be authorised at any time.

Notice also, folks, that if you change your phone or tablet or need to reinstall - you can do a full restore of your offline. Just select which device to restore from. So if you had Android and just bought the new iPhone 6, you could get all your offline content with you with just one press-and-wait.

Hello Phil,

Thank you for your inquiry and support for TIDAL. You can use 1 device in online mode and 3 devices in offline mode simultaneously.

Example 1: 1 pc/mac in online mode & 3 smartphones/tablets in offline mode

Example 2: 1 smartphone in online mode & 2 tablets & 1 smartphone in offline mode.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Colin

Tidal Support

Setup:

Lumin D2> Roksan Blak> Focal 806

There are definitely titles that drop in and out of license with Spotify and I'm sure with the other streaming services. I'd expect that Tidal's library will eventually be equivalent to its competition and hopefully we won't see exclusive deals signed between labels and specific streaming services. Now I wish I would have kept a list of the titles that I haven't been able to find on Spotify in the past.

I've done limited bit transparency checking and everything has been identical to my CD versions.

Awesome

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I am having some some drop out/hiccup issues using the Windows Tidal Player. I am running it through the WDM driver in JRiver 20. Seems to happening in the first 30 seconds of each song.

I am also getting a lot of messages pop up from Tidal saying they are experiencing playback problems due to bandwith.

Anyone else seeing this?

Tom

Computer Audio

4TB Seagate>Windows 8 Laptop>JRiver 20>Wywires Silver USB>Schitt Wyrd or IFI IUSB>Wywires Silver USB or IFI Gemini USB>IFI Micro iDSD DAC

Audio Rig

VPI Super Scoutmaster Signature Rim Drive, Benz Wood SL

Aesthetix Rhea Signature phono stage

Oppo 105 CD/SACD player

Aesthetix Calypso Signature Preamp

Moscode 401 HR power amp

Vandersteen 5a Carbon

Harmonic Technology Interconnects and Speaker Cables

Kubala Sosna and Kaplan Cable power cords

Shunyata Hydra 8 power conditioner

Well I have listened to Tidal Web player on my MAc through the same dac and speakers and compared it to

playing ripped alac files with Audirvana 2.0 and its not even close.

My alac files with Audirvana sound much better

Yet Tidal is Flac lossless so maybe its the fact its a web player off the internet.

Not had much chance to listen, copied 50% of my artist from Qobuz into Tidal.

So visually quite nice. Artist seem to sort by christian name so David Bowie comes under 'D' rather than 'B'

Looking on mobile, and so far only seen this on Bowie albums they have no name so you have to choose by using the artwork.

Also in the artist view you get just a long list of artist with artwork which takes up a lot of screen space. Qobuz provides an alphabetical list with an A to Z on the right for easy access.

Qobuz Hi-Fi on three mobile devises to share across the family, Tidal One on line, other off line..........

So, I will forgive Qobuz its splatter of French in the apps, its seems more focused on a simple look to get to your music quickly, where as Tidal seems focused on filling the screen with artwork a bit like Spotify.

Qobuz also allows me to select FLAC/MP3 streaming so I can select the best option for streaming.

So as the outputs are both FLAC i'll go for functionality and at this time i'll be sticking with my Qobuz Hi-Fi account.

Also - No in app support for AirPlay which Qobuz provide.......

Setup:

Lumin D2> Roksan Blak> Focal 806

I see references above about listening in "offline mode" versus listening in "online mode".

This is likely a dumb question, but......

I don't see any option or box to click to select "offline" versus "online", so, I assume:

1. You are always in "offline mode" when you are using the downloaded Desktop Player.

2. You are always in "online mode" when you are using the Web Player.

Is that right?

Last question: I selected "HIFI" sound quality. Sometimes the "HIFI" icon will go from white to grey when changing songs. When "HIFI" goes grey, does that mean the song is in a format lower than cd quality?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's right. Here's what it said in the email I got from Tidal:

--David

What did you have to do to be an early supporter? Well the fact that they are offering 30 days to some and not to others, I will just stay away...maybe they will offer 30 day trial again in future...that or offer 12 months for price of 11.....I want a deal (grin)...I will hold off and see if I can get some better special than 7 days, especially knowing they had better deals before....that or wait until Christmas vacation when I will have 7 days off where I can dedicate more time to trying it. right now I wouldn't have much time in 7 days to dedicate to it.

On my Mac for some reason the hifi option is not available to select and below is the answer

Thank you for your inquiry and interest in TIDAL. Then i will suggest you try our Web Player: http://listen.tidalhifi.com/ as it seems your sound card is not support yet on the desktop app.

I disconnected my belcanto mlink and played music via laptop internal speakers and still the same issue. totally confused why it plays on high but not on HIFi

I see references above about listening in "offline mode" versus listening in "online mode".

This is likely a dumb question, but......

I don't see any option or box to click to select "offline" versus "online", so, I assume:

Blake, I have the same question. I believe for mobile devices there is that option to go 'offline". I noticed it on my iPad app, but like you I don't see it on the windows app for desktop. I emailed Tital this afternoon and put forth the question regarding windows app. I will let you know as soon when I hear back

1. You are always in "offline mode" when you are using the downloaded Desktop Player.

2. You are always in "online mode" when you are using the Web Player.

Is that right?

Last question: I selected "HIFI" sound quality. Sometimes the "HIFI" icon will go from white to grey when changing songs. When "HIFI" goes grey, does that mean the song is in a format lower than cd quality?

Blake, I have the same question. I believe for mobile devices there is that option to go 'offline". I noticed it on my iPad app, but like you I don't see it on the windows app for desktop. I emailed Tital this afternoon and put forth the question regarding windows app. I will let you know as soon when I hear back

C.A.P. Pipeline, windows pro 10 > Roon > SOtM USB > Keces power supply > HDplex power supply > 4x2 HD Mini DSP > Ayre DSD QB-9 > Naim CDX > ModWright 9 S.E. Preamp > A21 Parasound Amplifier > Magnepan .7 > Augie's Dipole sub, ML sub, DIY sub > Dedicated room with acoustical treatment.

I downloaded the Tidal app on my Mac Mini and when it is playing it makes the mini's fan run high. Anyone know how to fix that? Thanks.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

Howdy!

I have a WaveLength DAC, and couldn't get HIFI option to play. Went in and changed it to "HIGH" audio quality, which is now playing and sounding really sweet. To the right of the bottom bar it now sez regardless "HIFI".

They've got bugs in their system. I'm # 444 in their problem resolution que.