IGNORED

iPhone 6 & 6+ Size

jtwrace

The 6 plus is getting really close to size of the ipad mini 2, which could be the end of the ipad mini in the coming years.

Not quite. The iPhone 6+ costs around $750 whereas the Mini (retina) is $399 for same amount of ram (16gb) with the original available for $299. The one whose days are numbered is the iPod Touch.

David

The 6 plus is getting really close to size of the ipad mini 2, which could be the end of the ipad mini in the coming years.
The iPad Mini display is more than twice the size of the iPhone 6 plus.

WyloR6p.png

A better comparison would be a Kindle with its 6" display if you have one of them.

The 6 plus display is only 1mm shorter and 23mm narrower.

PmJu7aW.png

I got to hold and play with both models today. The thinness was great, yes...but also, the way they rounded the edges really does contribute to the impression that iPhone 6, despite the larger display, is actually easier to carry than iPhone 5. I think iPhone 6 will hit the mark for most Americans.

Although 6+ shares the same basic form factor, it will feel like a beast if you are new to the phablet world. IMO it didn't accomplish marketing's message that iPhone 6+ is conducive to one-handed operation. The Reachability feature is a good idea, but when held in one hand, most people will not be able to get their thumb over the home button to activate it.

I got the iPhone 6+ today. I went in with the intention of getting the 6 but chose the 6+ when I could see how thin it was and feel how light it was. Still, it's a big boy and I'm not quite comfortable with it in my hand yet.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
All this discussion about size.

How does sound with headphones? Any improvement over previous models?

Can it be used as a digital server feeding external dac/amps?

After a couple of hours of listening straight out of the headphone jack with UERM, I pulled the Nano iDSD out of the drawer. I'd say that overall the iPhone 6 is not quite up to the standard set by the iPad Air. The frequency response sounds reasonably flat and reasonably well extended. Soundstage is broad and stable, albeit a bit lacking in depth. Instrumental timbres are very good. There is more than ample power to drive IEMS, although be warned that the volume control in the Music app is not remotely linear--all the fun is packed into the last 3mm of the slider.

It falls down mostly in two areas: noise floor (noticeable) and a touch of grain in the midrange that is especially noticeable on vocals at high volume. Any deficiencies in a singer's technique (sibilance, popping consonants, and the like) are ruthlessly exposed.

For casual listening, it's OK. For anything serious, use it with an iDSD or a Herus. Or a Geek Stream if LH ever actually gets it out the door.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Not quite. The iPhone 6+ costs around $750 whereas the Mini (retina) is $399 for same amount of ram (16gb) with the original available for $299. The one whose days are numbered is the iPod Touch.

From the Apple web site:

16GB 6+ 299

16GB 6 199

128GB 6+ 499

128GB 6 399

16GB iPad Mini 399

128GB iPad Mini 699

I have not had any issue with bending. I do carry the phone in my front pocket and it has been there when in a sitting position.

I've become more comfortable with the size of the 6+. It seems a change of case from one I bought at Best Buy which had square edges and a slippery feeling material to the Apple Silicone case with rounded edges has made the difference.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
Oops, too late to,fall. iOS 8.02 is out.

I don't think iOS 8.0.2 stops the phone bending!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

It's a hollow aluminum rectangle which is 7mm thin. Why would anyone expect the outcome to be any different?

Well, Apple has enough money that they could have engineered some piece of metal to reinforce its structure.

Also, they could have made the phone marginally thicker so as to avoid the horrible camera lens bulge.

I for one had decided to buy the iPhone 6 Plus, but what stopped me from pressing the Buy button was the discovery of this bulge and the realization that the phone would not lie flat on a table because of it. It seems that the only solution is to use an iPhone cover, which loses much of the beauty of the object. I am reluctant to pay top $ for such sub-optimal design.

These bend "test" videos are ridiculous.

It's a hollow aluminum rectangle which is 7mm thin. Why would anyone expect the outcome to be any different?

Are people really that stupid? Where are the videos snapping plastic phones in half rather than bending?

The same guy that put up the popular video of the iPhone 6 bending did the same "test" with a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - and it basically didn't bend. Bent a bit, but straightened out when released. So apparently it is a factor of a very thin aluminum case as opposed to well designed plastic.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The same guy that put up the popular video of the iPhone 6 bending did the same "test" with a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - and it basically didn't bend. Bent a bit, but straightened out when released. So apparently it is a factor of a very thin aluminum case as opposed to well designed plastic.

This probably justifies waiting a bit before buying the iPhone 6 Plus. I am nearly sure that Apple will quietly modify the internal design to reinforce the structure.