IGNORED

Why Apple?

Hi Rchunter,

They say that there is no stupid question... You don't have to apologize, on the contrary. You were curious to know why Apple seems to have the preference and it is quite allright. You are not responsible for some answers that triggered the This vs That aspect of things...

Thanks for that.

Does shorter cables make for better sound quality?

I now use mono block amps and the company that makes them recommends they be placed in a manner to allow the shortest runs to the speakers, respecting the limits of RCA cables of course. So from the volume control (pre amp or DAC), I go left/right out to my amps each of which is located behind the speakers. This lets me have a shorter run to the speaker inputs. I also have them on concrete pavers that provide a solid base (and lift them up halfway between the height of the pre amp/DAC and the speaker inputs). Managing wires is a real trick with audio...

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

I now use mono block amps and the company that makes them recommends they be placed in a manner to allow the shortest runs to the speakers, respecting the limits of RCA cables of course. So from the volume control (pre amp or DAC), I go left/right out to my amps each of which is located behind the speakers. This lets me have a shorter run to the speaker inputs. I also have them on concrete pavers that provide a solid base (and lift them up halfway between the height of the pre amp/DAC and the speaker inputs). Managing wires is a real trick with audio...

I have been struggling with shorter cables recently... My system is on one side instead of between the speakers. Your description may help me to finally place it permanently, but yes, managing wires is not an easy thing...

Alain

I have been struggling with shorter cables recently... My system is on one side instead of between the speakers. Your description may help me to finally place it permanently, but yes, managing wires is not an easy thing...

This also keeps your RCAs going left/right out the sides rather than being right next to the other bad to be next to cords like power cords.

Quicksilver Silver 88 A.jpg

Best,

John

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

This also keeps your RCAs going left/right out the sides rather than being right next to the other bad to be next to cords like power cords.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14148[/ATTACH]

Best,

John

Exact :) Alas I have a stereo power amp... Even so, your description have me think of something different :) Putting the whole system between the speakers (a little recessed) would help the "spaghetti" factor :)

Alain

At one stage, I had one of each - a Linux box, a Mac and a Windows machine for gaming - but now I'm far more interested in minimising the number of cables I have dangling off my desk than being able to test out the latest release of OS Whizbang, even if Tux and the little devil do make for funky stickers on the side of your otherwise drab PC.

freebsd.jpg

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

Yeah, well whatever...They're trying to stir the shit just as much as I am now aren't they.....

Nope. You just wanted people to agree with your opinion, and a whole lot of people don't. Most people have trouble with that. Welcome to the audio world!

Wait till you get someone on a high horse about how SCIENCE! proves you cannot hear what you claim you hear.... (Grin)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Nope. You just wanted people to agree with your opinion, and a whole lot of people don't. Most people have trouble with that. Welcome to the audio world!

Wait till you get someone on a high horse about how SCIENCE! proves you cannot hear what you claim you hear.... (Grin)

Sorry. I don't know what you are talking about. My opinion of what?

Sorry. I don't know what you are talking about. My opinion of what?
A long time ago I was in to apple when the first few macs came out but have since switched to all windows and linux.

[/Quote]

Your opinion is pretty obviously that you prefer Windows and Linux to Macs, no? You have also made several other comments that reveal your preferences. Why would you think that would not be obvious? Saying you have no idea what I meant is a bit disingenuous. You are rather obviously pretty bright.

Now that I know that Macs sound no better than PC's and vice versa, and most people just buy them for cosmetic design reasons and because they like the OS better than windows that's all I need to know.[/Quote]

The mac cult is bad enough....

[/Quote]

Pretty much most folks here listen to but not take to heart opinions they disagree with. Unless someone presses them of course.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

If that's what you meant then yes, I prefer Windows and linux to mac. I admit it. You are right. So sue me.

Mainly because that's what i've been using for 20+ years. Not because I have some deep seeded hatred for macs. Not in the least. Some of you people really need to take a chill pill. If you read the thread it was mostly me talking about building a hackintosh for my uncle and the people here trying to talk me out of it. I hardly said a bad word about macs. It was other people mostly bashing them, but I get the blame because I posted the thread.

@rchunter,

I'm sorry that this all went this way. These "Apple/Windows" (or PCM/DSD, do wires make a difference, or is this DAC better than that DAC) threads always bring out the old debates, most of which is just old fun since folks already know where this ends (as this one did).

You are not the cause of any of this and best to sort through and take the good and leave the snark behind.

John

@rchunter,

I'm sorry that this all went this way. These "Apple/Windows" (or PCM/DSD, do wires make a difference, or is this DAC better than that DAC) threads always bring out the old debates, most of which is just old fun since folks already know where this ends (as this one did).

You are not the cause of any of this and best to sort through and take the good and leave the snark behind.

John

Thanks John.

If that's what you meant then yes, I prefer Windows and linux to mac. I admit it. You are right. So sue me.

Mainly because that's what i've been using for 20+ years. Not because I have some deep seeded hatred for macs. Not in the least. Some of you people really need to take a chill pill. If you read the thread it was mostly me talking about building a hackintosh for my uncle and the people here trying to talk me out of it. I hardly said a bad word about macs. It was other people mostly bashing them, but I get the blame because I posted the thread.

Well- why would I want to sue you? I don't see as you have done anything really wrong.

But beyond that, tracing back in the thread, you were the one who made the potentially inflammatory comments like "Mac cult". Nobody called you on it, and I doubt anybody will, but they were your comments. I doubt anybody held you down and made you make 'em.

I personally like Macs - especially for music. But I usually find some of the nonsense WinTribesMen* come out with as funny to no end. But I use Winders, and several varieties of Linux, and a parcel of other less common OS's every single day.

-Paul

*WinTribesMen -- Agitated Windows users armed with sharp pointy sticks they like to poke non-Windows people with. Related to MacTribesMen and some hill tribes with great big Indiana Jones People Cooking Pots, fueled by Linux engines. Encyclopedia Audiophilia - 1st Edition 2014.

Robert A. Heinlein

I personally like Macs - especially for music.

Gone to a JS2 yet ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Well- why would I want to sue you? I don't see as you have done anything really wrong.

But beyond that, tracing back in the thread, you were the one who made the potentially inflammatory comments like "Mac cult". Nobody called you on it, and I doubt anybody will, but they were your comments. I doubt anybody held you down and made you make 'em.

I personally like Macs - especially for music. But I usually find some of the nonsense WinTribesMen* come out with as funny to no end. But I use Winders, and several varieties of Linux, and a parcel of other less common OS's every single day.

-Paul

*WinTribesMen -- Agitated Windows users armed with sharp pointy sticks they like to poke non-Windows people with. Related to MacTribesMen and some hill tribes with great big Indiana Jones People Cooking Pots, fueled by Linux engines. Encyclopedia Audiophilia - 1st Edition 2014.

You're taking snippets of my posts out of context just to make me look bad please stop it. When I said mac cult it was replying to another person that was cracking a joke about Scientology. Please read the whole comment. But I suspect you know what you're doing. Anyway, I'm pretty much done replying here. At least to this thread. You can go argue with somebody else.

You're taking snippets of my posts out of context just to make me look bad please stop it. When I said mac cult it was replying to another person that was cracking a joke about Scientology. Please read the whole comment. But I suspect you know what you're doing. Anyway, I'm pretty much done replying here. At least to this thread. You can go argue with somebody else.

You appeared (to me) to be comparing those who like Macs to Scientology ... that will rile some people somewhat!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

@rchunter,

John

+1

(But at least you got some good advice re your uncle from Eloise. :) )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

(Amusement). Disingenuous again? You obviously see how your comments were meant to be insulting. Mac users != Scientologists. Which I doubt you have any more first hand knowledge about than you do Macs.

Robert A. Heinlein

(Amusement). Disingenuous again? You obviously see how your comments were meant to be insulting. Mac users != Scientologists. Which I doubt you have any more first hand knowledge about than you do Macs.

Paul - You're just being argumentative now after the OP has asked for peace on this topic a couple of times.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Paul - You're just being argumentative now after the OP has asked for peace on this topic a couple of times.

Each time he asks, it seems to include a remark that indicates he feels like he is being put upon or insisting that he is being picked on for his opinion, like my kinds did when they were teenagers. When presented back with a bit of honesty... Or so it seems to me, but you are probably right. I have been dealing with too many slightly dishonest contractors the past few weeks. :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Kuma.....as soon as you pull that tongue out your check ......i am with ya'......love me some POGO !

Take care. Paul

MacPro 24 GB/8TB / A+ and Pure Music / LAMPIZATOR B7 as Dac and Pre w/volume control / Regen /Intona USB Iso/curious USB / Emotive Audio Sira / PASS Aleph P / D-Sonic M3 600 mono's / MIT / Shunyata Alpha HC, Alpha Digital, Alpha Analogue, Weizhi PR-6 / Exact Power XP15a-4 balanced power distributor / FOCAL Maestro UTOPIA III's in red/black

"In life's final analysis, one's relationship with his Maker is all that really matters."

Sorry for the of topic.

If I have anything to say about it, there will never be an Apple product in my household. There are couple of brands that IMHO sell overpriced, overhyped products and Apple MacIntosh is among them.

One should probably compare the top line MBP with say, a Dell Precision laptop. The prices are remarkably the same although Dell claims the list price is $3650 but are offering discounts. Specs are the same.

I am running an older MBP with 16gm memory and a SSD. I run Windows 7 using Parallels and VMWare. It is curious that the thing is a heck of a lot snappier than when I run desktops at client sites. Doggy networks slow everything down. At the end of the day, get what you want. All three OS' are extremely competent and except for user experience, one is probably no better than the other.