IGNORED

Why Apple?

Is it possible to remove the whole tile screen thingie. It annoys the fuck out if me. It only gives useless info.
StartIsBack and Start8 are two options for this. I think there are free programs as well.

Windows started going downhill since windows7, form over function. Adding app like how the weather is outside (just open the window). Links to one drive etc etc. All useless shit.
You can easily unpin or uninstall any apps you don't want to see on the start screen.

OneDrive is useful if you have multiple computers or devices like a Windows Phone and want to sync data across them. (similar to Apple's iCloud)

A computer has nothing to do with a tablet or smartphone. totally different media that and one should not try to copy the other.
Maybe you haven't noticed but any new PC notebook includes a touchscreen now, and Microsoft and many other companies sell devices which can switch between tablet and notebook operation.

Apple would rather sell you two separate devices. I think there is merit to both approaches.

Maybe you haven't noticed but any new PC notebook includes a touchscreen now, and Microsoft and many other companies sell devices which can switch between tablet and notebook operation.

And if you look at for example Microsoft Surface Pro 3, it is a full-fledged computer in tablet-size formfactor. You can run a full player with upsampling and all there. While iPad is commonly used just as extremely expensive remote control.

That's why I have a separate touch-GUI in my player too... (input and output both from/to wireless network, so no need to have wires attached)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

And if you look at for example Microsoft Surface Pro 3, it is a full-fledged computer in tablet-size formfactor. You can run a full player with upsampling and all there. While iPad is commonly used just as extremely expensive remote control.

That's why I have a separate touch-GUI in my player too... (input and output both from/to wireless network, so no need to have wires attached)

To bad though that it does not have a wired Ethernet connection. A C.A.P.S. to me would seem the better solution.

[br]

I'm trying to get my harmony smart bluetooth keyboard to play nice with Windows.

This is ironic, to me. I'm using a Mac Mini as an HTPC, and it's the main avenue for my home PLEX installation. I had such an impossible time getting my Harmony Remote to run in OSX that I gave up, and installed Windows 8.1 on it. I don't like working in 8.1 quite as much as I like OSX, but both are worlds better than anything I had 4 years ago. I feel like every year I spend less time fixing computers and more time enjoying them.

That said, 4 years ago I was an Apple Genius...

Silent Win10 Music Server -> Roon -> HQP -> Singxer SU-1 -> Holo Audio Spring -> ECP L2 -> HD800 / Grado HP2i / HE-1000 / JH 13

I use a Macbook Pro because (1) I love the 15" Retina screen, (2) I like the overall form factor, (3) OSX is a stable and comfortable OS for everyday stuff I need it for (browsing, working from home, coding, managing my photos, etc).

But for audio I don't use any Apple specific software at all. Instead, I run an mpd server on the laptop (via Homebrew install) for headphone use when working or whatever, and on 2 remote Alixes attached to my main/bedroom systems (which replaced headless Mac Minis). I store my music on a NAS I access with NFS all around (which I find far more stable than AFP). I control mpd with ncmpcpp (also via Homebrew) or Theremin. Sounds just as good as anything else I've tried (iTunes/Pure Music/Audirvana etc) with very little expense or overhead.

I set my wife's iPhone up to connect to the mpd server in the main system too, so she can play music too, and she finds it easy to use. I also set up Theremin on her Macbook so she can listen with headphones too. It all just works.

Plenty of choice out there - one doesn't HAVE to use the Apple ecosystem to make use of and enjoy their products (although I understand that not using the ecosystem can be perceived as a waste of money, but I find the expense worth it for my own priorities).

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

I use a Macbook Pro because (1) I love the 15" Retina screen, (2) I like the overall form factor, (3) OSX is a stable and comfortable OS for everyday stuff I need it for (browsing, working from home, coding, managing my photos, etc).

But for audio I don't use any Apple specific software at all. Instead, I run an mpd server on the laptop (via Homebrew install) for headphone use when working or whatever, and on 2 remote Alixes attached to my main/bedroom systems (which replaced headless Mac Minis). I store my music on a NAS I access with NFS all around (which I find far more stable than AFP). I control mpd with ncmpcpp (also via Homebrew) or Theremin. Sounds just as good as anything else I've tried (iTunes/Pure Music/Audirvana etc) with very little expense or overhead.

I set my wife's iPhone up to connect to the mpd server in the main system too, so she can play music too, and she finds it easy to use. I also set up Theremin on her Macbook so she can listen with headphones too. It all just works.

Plenty of choice out there - one doesn't HAVE to use the Apple ecosystem to make use of and enjoy their products (although I understand that not using the ecosystem can be perceived as a waste of money, but I find the expense worth it for my own priorities).

Nicely done. There very definitely is good free and open source software available to accomplish most audio tasks, for those who don't mind or even enjoy puttering around with it. P.S. Love Pass stuff.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

John ... considering one of the big debates is that Apple MacMini is more expensive than Windows PC ... which cost more?

My Windows music server cost more by far....I'm in it an absurd amount. Perhaps $1,000 for the computer and another $1,000 for the fancy linear power supply (If I had done a Zuma style CAPS, add another $1,000 to my list) vs. my "used Mac Mini" cost of less than $500 each. If I were to add a power supply upgrade to the Mac Mini, I might spend another $1,000 (could be more, could be less depending on choice) so a Mac Mini is definitely the less expensive way to go unless you switch to something else like a renderer.

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

I don't get it.

(grin) You have never gotten so frustrated with Windows? It used to be a bit of a joke how many Windows machines were physically damaged by their users. As long as I remember, only one user ever tossed a Mac in the trash... And he was a mainframer!

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

(grin) You have never gotten so frustrated with Windows? It used to be a bit of a joke how many Windows machines were physically damaged by their users. As long as I remember, only one user ever tossed a Mac in the trash... And he was a mainframer!

Ah, that explains it. I don't even know how to boot up a Windows PC. I've used Macs exclusively for over 20 years, at work and at home. Can't remember how many I've purchased in that time, at least eight just for fooling around on at home, plus peripherals. Never had a real problem with one, or with the software.

Having owned several Macs in the late noughties, I moved to Wintel for pretty much everything - from work to games to music - but when I realised I needed a small form factor PC the Mac Mini was great VFM here in Thailand. I did have a few reservations re the lack of power for gaming - not to mention the mediocre integrated graphics - but a used XBox360 has filled that gap without filling the hard drive on my mini : win-win. I also loathe Win8 although I've learnt to live with it on this laptop.

On the downside, the hipster designer who thought that having an all-black rear panel wouldnt annoy the hell out of those of us who find ourselves fumbling with USB and HDMI connectors in the half-dark caverns beneath our desks should be taken out and shot ;)

If I had to nominate a perfect work machine, it would be a Linux box and my ideal gaming rig would run Windows 7, but as an all-rounder with a tiny footprint it's hard to go past the Mini - the fact that I can run both Linux and Windows on it only adds to the attraction (I'll leave the Hackintosh to those with the time and energy for such frivolities). I could build a cheaper Linux box with more power/storage etc but those machines dont 'disappear' the way the Mini does :D

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

Having owned several Macs in the late noughties, I moved to Wintel for pretty much everything - from work to games to music - but when I realised I needed a small form factor PC the Mac Mini was great VFM here in Thailand. I did have a few reservations re the lack of power for gaming - not to mention the mediocre integrated graphics - but a used XBox360 has filled that gap without filling the hard drive on my mini : win-win. I also loathe Win8 although I've learnt to live with it on this laptop.

On the downside, the hipster designer who thought that having an all-black rear panel wouldnt annoy the hell out of those of us who find ourselves fumbling with USB and HDMI connectors in the half-dark caverns beneath our desks should be taken out and shot ;)

If I had to nominate a perfect work machine, it would be a Linux box and my ideal gaming rig would run Windows 7, but as an all-rounder with a tiny footprint it's hard to go past the Mini - the fact that I can run both Linux and Windows on it only adds to the attraction (I'll leave the Hackintosh to those with the time and energy for such frivolities). I could build a cheaper Linux box with more power/storage etc but those machines dont 'disappear' the way the Mini does :D

What's nice about a hackintosh (if you have to have apple like my uncle) is I can build him a super high end machine and still have it not cost that much. You look at apples high end models for their towers and they are outrageously priced. If he wants he can skip OSX/boot camp all together and boot straight into Windows 7 for his gaming and it will run just as a normal PC would. One of the major reasons i'm kind of put off of apple is the whole proprietary audio format thing and the fact that they use ALAC instead of FLAC. My whole library is already in FLAC. That in itself is huge deal to me. I'm not set up to run iTunes. I use Foobar and Synology Audiostation when i'm on my PC's/linux boxes. Also the network streamers that I use recognize FLAC and WAV format not ALAC.

Every 3rd partly player for OS X plays FLAC, btw.

Additionally, I can play FLAC (and DSF) files on my iPhone using this app.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

What's nice about a hackintosh (if you have to have apple like my uncle) is I can build him a super high end machine and still have it not cost that much.

It depends, once you add in a moderately attractive small form factor case I have always found the components add up to as much or more than buying a MacMini.

You look at apples high end models for their towers and they are outrageously priced.

Again ... that was shown to be untrue; buying similar level components to the new MacPro will cost you as much as buying the MacPro.

Where DIY does come into play is that things are more versatile / customisable and yes, more upgradable in the future.

One the negative side a Hackintosh (unless components are selected very careful) is a complete pain in the posteria when it comes to updates, bug fixes and security updates. In addition you have absolutely zero support outside of geeks and the forums they inhabit!

One of the major reasons i'm kind of put off of apple is the whole proprietary audio format thing and the fact that they use ALAC instead of FLAC. My whole library is already in FLAC. That in itself is huge deal to me. I'm not set up to run iTunes. I use Foobar and Synology Audiostation when i'm on my PC's/linux boxes. Also the network streamers that I use recognize FLAC and WAV format not ALAC.

The choice between FLAC and ALAC is not about proprietary vs open source as both formats are (as of late 2011) open. If you use iTunes, yes FLAC is not supported but there are a lot of other music playback apps which do support FLAC. If you did want to run iTunes it will take the computer time to do the conversion, but for the user its a case of clicking a few times and then walking away.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I bought a Mac Mini when I got an audio server because it was cheaper and more versatile than any of the CAPS models, had the same small form factor, and although fan cooled, I played with it a lot at the store and never heard the fan. Never hear it at home either.

I think this post sums up the original question well ... the MacMini is chosen a lot for a music server because for the form factor it is well priced.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I understand that FLAC is more cross-platform/universal, but ALAC is not proprietary. Every 3rd partly player for OS X plays FLAC, btw.

Sorry misspoke. What players on mac play flac? Are they any good? If they were to come out with foobar on mac i'd be tempted to maybe buy one of their machines again. Maybe.

Sorry misspoke. What players on mac play flac? Are they any good? If they were to come out with foobar on mac i'd be tempted to maybe buy one of their machines again. Maybe.

Not Foobar but...

• J.River
  • Amarra
  • Audirvana
  • Decibel
  • Fidelia
  • Play
  • Vox
  • PureMusic

Probably others I have missed. On top of that are applications such as Plex, XBMC and VLC which while music playback is not their primary use play FLAC and other formats.

Eloise

Eloise

---

One the negative side a Hackintosh (unless components are selected very careful) is a complete pain in the posteria when it comes to updates, bug fixes and security updates. In addition you have absolutely zero support outside of geeks and the forums they inhabit!

The choice between FLAC and ALAC is not about proprietary vs open source as both formats are (as of late 2011) open. If you use iTunes, yes FLAC is not supported but there are a lot of other music playback apps which do support FLAC. If you did want to run iTunes it will take the computer time to do the conversion, but for the user its a case of clicking a few times and then walking away.

Eloise

Things now seem to be dividing along two lines, one re the uncle, one re the OP. Re the uncle, my thoughts were very similar to yours, Eloise: Problems with updating, including those for security fixes, and this for someone who apparently lives 5 hours away. Once again I'd like to mention that price discounts can be had for fully warranted equipment through Apple's Refurbished store. Now, regarding the OP, who says he's got a collection of music on FLAC: As Eloise and Bill have mentioned, it's easy enough just to use one of the many OS X music players, pretty much all of which will play FLAC other than iTunes itself. Or you could convert them to ALAC or AIFF easily with iTunes itself or the very nice XLD. So having your collection on FLAC is really not a consideration in deciding whether to choose Windows or OS X, or Linux for that matter.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Not Foobar but...

• J.River
  • Amarra
  • Audirvana
  • Decibel
  • Fidelia
  • Play
  • Vox
  • PureMusic

Probably others I have missed. On top of that are applications such as Plex, XBMC and VLC which while music playback is not their primary use play FLAC and other formats.

Eloise

And BitPerfect, which is something like 5 bucks on the app store; there's also HQPlayer for considerably more. I personally use Audirvana most of the time on Mac, but like HQPlayer also.

I am not sure if this is really fair, a in most cases you cannot fix a Mac for a reasonable cost due to the proprietary boards. Recently I have had top retire 4 Macs because of issues. # of the four would have been reparable for under $100 if they were traditional PC products. With that said, I get better sound out of Windows but I prefer the Mac interface(although that might be changed now that HQPlayer is ported to Mac).

Lately I have been thinking about making a Hackintosh out of a thin mini ITX I have been using with Linux.

Consumer Reports Magazine in the US takes no advertising and publishes tests, ratings, frequency of repair records, etc., for a very wide range of consumer goods. In its frequency of repair records for computers, Apple is always at the top (i.e., needs repair least often). In the single instance I have sought help from the local Apple Store, I found them incredibly helpful. I'd purchased Apple's office software suite from a third party vendor, and the disc wasn't readable. I went to the Apple Store to see whether they had anything that could read the disc before I went to the trouble of returning it. The fellow I spoke to brought out a hard drive and installed the office suite for me from the hard drive, no further questions asked - i.e., they made good on a product I'd purchased from someone else, not Apple. From other people I've spoken to about the service at Apple's stores, it is not unusual for them to be this helpful. (Phone service, on the other hand, seems about as slow and indifferently responsive as everyone else's.) These sorts of things - they don't break; if you are near one of their brick-and-mortar stores, you can count on excellent service if you ever do need it - are important to many people.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

@ audio elf. I don't know how to deal with the quotes so I have to reply this way.

Once you start adding a lot of ram and hard drives to a mac pro tower the prices go up exponentially. He's not willing to pay it. He could easily be paying over $3k+ if he were to add what he wants on it by buying it from the apple store. Were not talking a mac mini here were talking full blown tower. Apple is too limited in my book. I can buy a fractal design full size case and have room for over 10+ HDD. And a full size SLI rig if I wanted. You can't do that with a mac if you could, apple would charge big bucks to deck it all out. Anyway, that's the way it is. If you guys like your apples feel free. I'm not bashing you for it. I might eventually end up with another one some day. I would never pay for a 4K+ mac pro though.

Not Foobar but...

• J.River
  • Amarra
  • Audirvana
  • Decibel
  • Fidelia
  • Play
  • Vox
  • PureMusic

Eloise

Thanks. I'll look into this more. I know J River is good. I briefly tested it on windows.

@ audio elf. I don't know how to deal with the quotes so I have to reply this way.

Once you start adding a lot of ram and hard drives to a mac pro tower the prices go up exponentially. He's not willing to pay it. He could easily be paying over $3k+ if he were to add what he wants on it by buying it from the apple store. Were not talking a mac mini here were talking full blown tower. Apple is too limited in my book. I can buy a fractal design full size case and have room for over 10+ HDD. And a full size SLI rig if I wanted. You can't do that with a mac if you could, apple would charge big bucks to deck it all out. Anyway, that's the way it is. If you guys like your apples feel free. I'm not bashing you for it. I might eventually end up with another one some day. I would never pay for a 4K+ mac pro though.

Hi RC - specifics are always clearer than more general stuff. If it's storage (you referred to a tower and 10+ HDDs), my own feeling is that external is very much the way to go - cheap and doesn't care what kind of computer you've got. If we're talking about graphics for gaming in Windows, then yep, I like the customizability of a Hackintosh; but you could also go with a refurbed Apple machine and a separate gaming console, and almost certainly get better graphic performance for not a lot of money compared to a decked out Hackintosh. So if you can give us a few more specifics, folks here can help to come up with better solutions.