IGNORED

Why Apple?

What is the attraction to Apple when it comes to audio? A long time ago I was in to apple when the first few macs came out but have since switched to all windows and linux. I see lots of people on here have mac minis. Why is this so popular as opposed to just using a NAS that I can access across the whole network?

Just wondering what I am missing by not going with apple products.

Oh, also another question i've been wondering about is why in some of the photos a lot of you guys put your amps and other equipment directly on the floor? Is this due to cutting out vibrations. Some people also put them on granite blocks. Just a couple questions i've been wondering about for a while. Thanks.

Can't answer the second, but the first is probably the utility and form-factor of the mac mini. In addition, the Mac mini has optical and HDMI outputs, as well as USB, so it is equipped to deliver audio and video off the shelf. Like Linux, OS X is a flavor of unix, so it is a very stable, usable operating system. Many of us also bought into the whole Apple/iTunes/iPod/iPad/iPhone/AppleTV music/video ecosystem, so in my case that makes it the most natural choice. I use OS X at work for all my scientific computing applications, so for me it is also easier to maintain a dozen computers with the same OS and similar hardware than to have a variety. If I wasn't using OS X, I would be using Linux, not Windows. (I have one Linux box at work, which, ironically, I had to get to run some proprietary software).

What is the attraction to Apple when it comes to audio? A long time ago I was in to apple when the first few macs came out but have since switched to all windows and linux. I see lots of people on here have mac minis. Why is this so popular as opposed to just using a NAS that I can access across the whole network?

A NAS is only part of the solution as you still need something to play the files. I think the attraction of Mac minis for many is that they work right out of the box so they are great for those who don't get into the DIY side of things.

I bought mine because I also use a Mac as my main desktop machine. In my system, this machine actually functions as a file server with the Jriver client on the Mac mini pulling data from the drives attached to my main system which is also running Jriver.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Can't answer the second, but the first is probably the utility and form-factor of the mac mini. In addition, the Mac mini has optical and HDMI outputs, as well as USB, so it is equipped to deliver audio and video off the shelf. Like Linux, OS X is a flavor of unix, so it is a very stable, usable operating system. Many of us also bought into the whole Apple/iTunes/iPod/iPad/iPhone/AppleTV music/video ecosystem, so in my case that makes it the most natural choice. I use OS X at work for all my scientific computing applications, so for me it is also easier to maintain a dozen computers with the same OS and similar hardware than to have a variety. If I wasn't using OS X, I would be using Linux, not Windows. (I have one Linux box at work, which, ironically, I had to get to run some proprietary software).

What he said.

Oh, also another question i've been wondering about is why in some of the photos a lot of you guys put your amps and other equipment directly on the floor? Is this due to cutting out vibrations. Some people also put them on granite blocks. Just a couple questions i've been wondering about for a while. Thanks.

Because Apple Macintosh has great marketing and that is why people buy the overpriced products.

[br]

Because Apple Macintosh has great marketing and that is why people buy the overpriced products.

Yeah, I was influenced by all the Mac mini ads you see on TV and in magazines.

Yes, I definitely like the "fact" that the Mac mini is overpriced. (I don't think I've ever seen a TV ad for a Mac mini.) I think Prof Scott's explanation is probably more on point.

I've had to use a number of OSes over the years — VAX/VMS, Windows, Solaris, Mac OS — and I find that Mac OS X and, indeed, third-party Mac software, place the most emphasis on refining the user interface and improving the user experience. If you're not sensitive to this stuff, then perhaps it doesn't matter, but if you are — and I think that applies to quite a few people who work in an environment where they have to bang out a lot of stuff and solve production-type problems on a regular basis — then it makes a positive difference.

All that said, this is just my personal preference, and if you feel more comfortable with another OS and you can find comparable hardware at a better price, then go for it. I'm periodically tempted by some of the less expensive Linux boxes.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

You aren't particularly missing anything by not going with Apple. I have it in my main system because it would have been a PITA to get my desktop machine (Windows, often Linux, occasionally FreeBSD) upstairs controlling my main audio system downstairs, while it's much easier to place my MacBook Pro laptop next to my DAC and run a USB cable between them. So convenience. And then for folks into controlling things from their listening chairs, there are more iPhones and iPads out there than Win phones and tablets. So "ecosystem."

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

You are not missing much. The only reason I ended up with a Mac was that at the time Amarra, which is Mac only, was the only game in town. Audivarna is also Mac only. Still unhappy with Amarra since it is so buggy, but it sounds good. I bought a Mini but only use a completely stripped mobo. (See Mac CAPS thread)

The audiophile streamers are in its infancy but I will jump on that as soon as is feasible. Then it really makes no difference where files are stored.

The Mac hardware is not any better at audio than PC. In fact you have more options and flexibility with pc (SoTM, JCAT, PPA are pc only).

If I were to start over today, I would first wait for streamer maturity ( or early adopt with e.g. Auralic, Sonore or SoTM) then a PC with winserver/AO/SoTM, and last a Mac.

Thanks for the replies so far. I don't mean to turn this in to a bash apple thread. I already have a NAS and about 5 PC's on my home network. I am somewhat committed to FLAC format already. I don't have an ipod or anything like that so I probably don't intend on going the mac route anytime soon. My uncle is still in to mac though and he's asked me to build him a hackintosh within the next few weeks so i'm going to be studying up on that and buying parts soon. Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the replies so far. I don't mean to turn this in to a bash apple thread. I already have a NAS and about 5 PC's on my home network. I am somewhat committed to FLAC format already. I don't have an ipod or anything like that so I probably don't intend on going the mac route anytime soon. My uncle is still in to mac though and he's asked me to build him a hackintosh within the next few weeks so i'm going to be studying up on that and buying parts soon. Anyway, thanks for the replies.

That's all what Eve left me.

Yeah, I was influenced by all the Mac mini ads you see on TV and in magazines.

Yes, I definitely like the "fact" that the Mac mini is overpriced. (I don't think I've ever seen a TV ad for a Mac mini.) I think Prof Scott's explanation is probably more on point.

I've had to use a number of OSes over the years — VAX/VMS, Windows, Solaris, Mac OS — and I find that Mac OS X and, indeed, third-party Mac software, place the most emphasis on refining the user interface and improving the user experience. If you're not sensitive to this stuff, then perhaps it doesn't matter, but if you are — and I think that applies to quite a few people who work in an environment where they have to bang out a lot of stuff and solve production-type problems on a regular basis — then it makes a positive difference.

All that said, this is just my personal preference, and if you feel more comfortable with another OS and you can find comparable hardware at a better price, then go for it. I'm periodically tempted by some of the less expensive Linux boxes.

--David

A Mac Mini costs about €800 in the Netherlands. Say for the sake of conversation it is the same as $800. Then add a few hundred for an SSD and some extra memory. Then you have an $1100-1200 computer that is still nothing special. for half that money you can buy a Windows computer that is just as good.

[br]

A Mac Mini costs about €800 in the Netherlands. Say for the sake of conversation it is the same as $800. Then add a few hundred for an SSD and some extra memory. Then you have an $1100-1200 computer that is still nothing special. for half that money you can buy a Windows computer that is just as good.

Sounds like an easy decision. For me, not having to deal with Windows is easy worth a few hundred dollars.

A Hackintosh is in some respects the best of both worlds, in others the worst.

Best: You get to choose the components; likely cheaper than most Mac desktops; can run Windows and Linux on the same machine if desired. (Re price, you may want to ask your uncle if there's something from Apple's refurbished store he would consider.)

Worst: Any minor or major OS update, including those with security fixes, may change drivers and thus break compatibility with the hardware you have installed. Because (I assume) your uncle doesn't live with you, that means he's out of commission until you can spare an evening or a day to track down the problem and fix it.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

If they had kept the optical drive (upgraded to Blu-ray) and kept the CPUs in them up-to-date, they would make a pretty nice self-contained media PC.

In their current state, I don't see the appeal. The hardware is out of date, and overpriced.

Better off with something like an Intel NUC unless you absolutely must have OS X.

Since video playback is important to me, I would be putting Windows on whatever hardware I buy anyway.

To be honest I really cannot understand that. The few time I had to deal with iOS I got frustratedit was just so counter intuitive.

I have the same feeling when I use Windows. Windows 8 is especially bad. Easily the worst OS I've seen in recent years. You would have thought that Microsoft would have figured it out by now.

I have the same feeling when I use Windows. Windows 8 is especially bad. Easily the worst OS I've seen in recent years. You would have thought that Microsoft would have figured it out by now.

I agree on Windows 8, it is a lot like iOS. All buttons no logic.

[br]

A Hackintosh is in some respects the best of both worlds, in others the worst.

Best: You get to choose the components; likely cheaper than most Mac desktops; can run Windows and Linux on the same machine if desired. (Re price, you may want to ask your uncle if there's something from Apple's refurbished store he would consider.)

Worst: Any minor or major OS update, including those with security fixes, may change drivers and thus break compatibility with the hardware you have installed. Because (I assume) your uncle doesn't live with you, that means he's out of commission until you can spare an evening or a day to track down the problem and fix it.

He's got an old imac now and he was wanting to buy an Apple laptop but they are so dang expensive. I think that's what is drawing him to hackintosh. I'll make sure he knows darn well before we do anything. That there's no guarantee running it and it's kind of sketchy. He likes gaming so he would like to dual boot or maybe even triple boot OS X, windows, and linux. I've had lots of experience building computers so that part should be easy. Just setting up all the software and partitions might be a bit tricky. He lives 5 hours away so he's going to have to be prepared to drive if something goes wrong and he can't fix it himself. To tell you the truth i'd really rather not do it but if he seriously wants it i'll do it for him.

I agree on Windows 8, it is a lot like iOS. All buttons no logic.

By the way, iOS is the operating system that runs on Apple phones and tablets, not their computers.

I am considering going Apple when they release the next generation of Mac Book Air, the ones you get today have a rather bad screen in my opinion, I hope they will update this with the next generation. One thing that is appealing to me is that Mac OS is more efficient than for example Windows 7, it makes the computer use less power which is always a good thing with computer audio in my experience, I will then also be able to compare the two and find out what I like the best and sell the loser.

If you think the Windows computer is just as good, then that's the one you should get.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

He's got an old imac now and he was wanting to buy an Apple laptop but they are so dang expensive. I think that's what is drawing him to hackintosh. I'll make sure he knows darn well before we do anything. That there's no guarantee running it and it's kind of sketchy. He likes gaming so he would like to dual boot or maybe even triple boot OS X, windows, and linux. I've had lots of experience building computers so that part should be easy. Just setting up all the software and partitions might be a bit tricky. He lives 5 hours away so he's going to have to be prepared to drive if something goes wrong and he can't fix it himself. To tell you the truth i'd really rather not do it but if he seriously wants it i'll do it for him.

Example: Refurbished 13" MacBook Pro w/ Retina display $1019. Got mine refurbed years ago and been thrilled with it.

About multibooting: No problem. OS X first, use Boot Camp to install the other OS(es), then install rEFInd as a nice graphical bootloader.